Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . Actually Lone Drinker, there are a lot of people who work who would be at home, they could be part time, shift workers, on maternity leave, on holiday, off sick or working from home, people with their own business.

I was thinking of the studio audience rather than viewers, apologies for the confusion.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    "People don't want to see and hear film of people screaming in their dying moments. Not Even You Nick."
    Ex Mirror Editor David Banks speaking to Nick Ferrari.

Well put....

I think (hope) Nick is playing devil's advocate on this one. He refused to consider whether he would look at the footage had his sons been on board; said he wasn't dealing in hypotheticals. I don't think the caller who said that seeing the video might deter other like-minded suicide/murderers had really thought it through. It's more likely to encourage potential nutters hoping to make a name for themselves.

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    Ian Collins was one of the reasons I stopped listening to Talksport. It doesn't sound like he's changed at all so I definitely won't be listening to LBC in the evenings any more.

I found him too fond of his own voice when on Talk Sport and I also stopped listening to him. Yet again last night he constantly spoke over his callers only allowing his opinion to be heard. A caller told him he was rude not allowing him to speak and that caller was faded out then cut off! I just wish he would shut up and give the caller the right to express their opinion!
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Was it Ian Collins or Ian Payne who used to do Saturday nights about 9 o'clock.? Used to catch an 'Ian' discussing things whilst I was washing up the supper dishes.

Collins/Payne much of a muchness - both non entities

Big pity Dunky gone - quite liked him
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm to me if that travel presenter 'I'm Chris Golds in the LBC Travel Centre' (Not really a travel centre, just a studio next to the main one) is gay?!

Don't know and don't particularly care. However you have reminded me that I wanted to say "welcome back" to Jay-Louise Knight. However she seems to have gone again this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I imagine they are the local chavs! Lots of those hanging around at dowdy supermarkets and run-down council estates, who would be queuing up for their few seconds of 'fame' on tv..

I haven't seen this show (nor wish to) so can't properly comment on it. But reading the views on the tv thread it does sound like complete chaos, with J O'B totally unable to control his 'audience'. His tv career could well be down the pan by the time this series ends. Big gaffe on his part, and it's his own fault. ITV is a channel that largely caters for the illiterate, and JO'B should have been well aware of that.

Never seen nor intend to either - but i suspect your comments will be crushing one or two doting hearts here .
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    I found him too fond of his own voice when on Talk Sport........
    I remember Ian Collins from 1089, and he was incredibly dull. I'm surprised LBC hired him.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Ian Collins from 1089, and he was incredibly dull. I'm surprised LBC hired him.
    i think he was probably past his sell by date by then. Back around 1066, though, he was quite spectacular!
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Potkettle wrote: »
    I found him too fond of his own voice when on Talk Sport and I also stopped listening to him. Yet again last night he constantly spoke over his callers only allowing his opinion to be heard. A caller told him he was rude not allowing him to speak and that caller was faded out then cut off! I just wish he would shut up and give the caller the right to express their opinion!

I used to love Ian Collins when he did the overnights on TalkRadio with light-hearted topics.

But when it comes to the serious stuff, I couldn't agree more with the above. He berates callers for using hyperbole, but never ceases to use it himself. Rather like Ferrari, when he has an erudite caller who's proving him wrong, he switches to making jokes, diverts the caller from the points they're making, and infantilises the argument.

I don't mind that he's a Tory, but I do mind that he keeps denying it, when it's so bloomin' obvious in just about everything he says and does!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John Stapleton keeps making the same announcement - that's his job is to put an opposing point of view and that's he's not being anti-UKIP.

Why is it that whenever someone challenges a UKIP view, their supporters start bleating and thinking they're victims, etc etc. It's just the kind of thing they accuse everyone else of doing, as far as I can tell!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I used to love Ian Collins when he did the overnights on TalkRadio with light-hearted topics.

But when it comes to the serious stuff, I couldn't agree more with the above. He berates callers for using hyperbole, but never ceases to use it himself. Rather like Ferrari, when he has an erudite caller who's proving him wrong, he switches to making jokes, diverts the caller from the points they're making, and infantilises the argument.

I don't mind that he's a Tory, but I do mind that he keeps denying it, when it's so bloomin' obvious in just about everything he says and does!

Exactly the same with Brian - current daytime TV doyen of the chavs

" he has an erudite caller who's proving him wrong, he switches to making jokes, diverts the caller from the points they're making, and infantilises the argument. "

...all equally applicable too
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren Adam mentioned my local pub last night, to my amusement.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    I'm travelling at the moment. What's JOB's suit like today? And what's the topic du jour?

Merci!
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    New LBC jingles:

Leading Britain's Conservatives.... vote Conservative with Nick Ferrari, on LBC.....

Iain Dale demands you vote Conservative.... Leading Britain's Conservatives, LBC....

Kill the poor, destroy the health service, Iain Dale's Conservative Drivetime, Leading Britain's Conservatives.... LBC....

I mostly gave up listening quite a while ago, but still dabble occasionally. As you say a very biased radio station nowadays.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I'm travelling at the moment. What's JOB's suit like today? And what's the topic du jour?

Merci!

Black suit, white shirt, blue tie. He looks like an overgrown pudgy faced Tucker from Grange Hill, on his first day at work.

Subject : 'Should we ban boozed-up Brits from A&E? Oh, and drugs.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Black suit, white shirt, blue tie. He looks like an overgrown pudgy faced Tucker from Grange Hill, on his first day at work.

Rancid!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Booze and drugs - 2 of Gobber's favourite topics .I would have thought Grey Goose inebriation in A&E would have added a touch of class .

Any mention of the monks yet ?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Booze and drugs - 2 of Gobber's favourite topics .I would have thought Grey Goose inebriation in A&E would have added a touch of class .

Any mention of the monks yet ?

Surely that's got to be an upcoming topic on the Kyle sho....er I mean 'obrien' show.

Abuse at school, adoption, religion - all his staples.

Edit - apparently he's mentioned getting thrown out of school -

"I got thrown out of school for this" What, drugs or this crappy talk show? #obrien (from a user on Twitter).
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Adam mentioned my local pub last night, to my amusement.

The Red Lion?!
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian - current daytime TV doyen of the chavs

" he has an erudite caller who's proving him wrong, he switches to making jokes, diverts the caller from the points they're making, and infantilises the argument. "

Oh, how exactly that describes Brain's technique! I haven't seen (and have no intention of watching) his TV programme, but I've caught him a couple of times on Newsnight and am disturbed by his new image - even more so by a photo in the current Radio Times - as he now looks as if he's been embalmed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely that's got to be an upcoming topic on the Kyle sho....er I mean 'obrien' show.

Abuse at school, adoption, religion - all his staples.

He must be loving it

....fresh audience ,fresh ears :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    Oh, how exactly that describes Brain's technique! I haven't seen (and have no intention of watching) his TV programme, but I've caught him a couple of times on Newsnight and am disturbed by his new image - even more so by a photo in the current Radio Times - as he now looks as if he's been embalmed!

Well - Praise where praise due : it was Makeba72 who nailed it

(albeit about someone else - i just did the plagiarising ;-) )
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »

Merci!

Suit - Alexei Sayle, Dr Marten boots era.
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I mostly gave up listening quite a while ago, but still dabble occasionally. As you say a very biased radio station nowadays.

If they absolutely insist on packing the station with right-wing/far-right/UKIP presenters why can't they at least entice proper radio broadcasters like James Whale back in? Or Mike Mendoza even.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well - Praise where praise due : it was Makeba72 who nailed it

(albeit about someone else - i just did the plagiarising ;-) )

Thank you, thank you. But as you've just infringed my copyright, please expect a letter from my lawyer very soon ;-);-)

I think it's a technique used by a number of LBC presenters, but I find JOB to not be quite as bad as Ferrari or Ian Collins. That said, and as is oft-repeated here, it could be that it just doesn't stand out as much when the listener agrees with the presenter's point of view.

And I also accept that JOB is getting worse, rather than better, but he comes in for enough criticism on here already, and I still maintain that NF and IC are generally worse. It's getting to be a close run thing, these days, though.
This discussion has been closed.