Options

Do Sky HD+ Boxes Output Dolby Digital Sound To TV Speakers?

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it seems" pcm "might be widely used as incorrect jargon, but this is not my fault .... the use of pcm .... Requiring just simple a/d and d/a conversion, has been largely replaced by audio codecs using the discrete cosine transform.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Blimey, it's all kicked off in here!

back to the subject...
    This brings us back to "Samsung says it can do it", and what I said about Samsung not really understanding their own product. e.g. The spec sheet says the TV has DD but doesn't make the distinction between DD for DVB-T2/USB/Apps and DD for external sources via HDMI which is essentially DD pass-thru.
    You may well be right, it's impossible to get through to somebody that (IMHO) is actually understanding the issue.

Long and short of it is this, they are sending an engineer out to 'fix' it, no idea what this will lead to, but will post up the outcome.
    Unless Samsung are going to change the firmware and add any required hardware then long story short you're still at the same place: Buy an AV Receiver + speaker kit and connect sources to that.
    I hear what you're saying, and I think I agree, it's a firmware job at the least...

I find it impossible to believe Samsung have not been round this loop already?

As for buying an AV receiver, I have one thanks (Onkyo), and it works just fine, except it does not support 4K, hence why I want to use it on HDMI ARC with the source been sent direct to the TV's other HDMI ports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in fact, strictly speaking, the fast fourier transform, but now im being a superpedant ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... I think nigel means digital to analogue conversion, post audio decoder, but this not pulse code modulation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    it seems" pcm "might be widely used as incorrect jargon, but this is not my fault .... the use of pcm .... Requiring just simple a/d and d/a conversion, has been largely replaced by audio codecs using the discrete cosine transform.....

my turn to pick you up.

A Codec does not replace an A/D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scuffers wrote: »
    my turn to pick you up.

A Codec does not replace an A/D.

obviously not. Any type of digital sound will require analog conversion, at some point, in order to be heard......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i want to ask styker, since DD into 2 speakers will be indistinguishable from the lower fi 2.0 version, why is making this happen so important ?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haas effect is used in surround cinema decoders. But not home ones. Which rely mainly on amplitude steering for 2.0 and surround stereo for 5.1

I'm not sure why you are repeating this inaccurate drivel, see post 37.

There was a long running thread about surround sound recently on which you even claimed information on the Dolby site was wrong. The Dolby professional surround decoders in audio dubbing suites, which are similar in size to domestic living rooms, have variable rear channel delay, if they didn't the rear channels would dominate and the final mix would be incorrect. This was a major problem in the quadraphonic era, there were other problems as well, as affordable delay lines were not available and as a result you had to sit in the middle of your living room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why you are repeating this inaccurate drivel, see post 37.

There was a long running thread about surround sound recently on which you even claimed information on the Dolby site was wrong. The Dolby professional surround decoders in audio dubbing suites, which are similar in size to domestic living rooms, have variable rear channel delay, if they didn't the rear channels would dominate and the final mix would be incorrect. This was a major problem in the quadraphonic era, there were other problems as well, as affordable delay lines were not available and as a result you had to sit in the middle of your living room.

i think you are referring to deliberately misleading jargon on the dolby website, claiming somthing called "mono surround". No such thing exists. The rear channel is phase encoded. If u like, it is "squished quadrophonic". The.squishing originally being to counteract projector sound head film weave .....
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think you are referring to deliberately misleading jargon on the dolby website, claiming somthing called "mono surround". No such thing exists. The rear channel is phase encoded. If u like, it is "squished quadrophonic". The.squishing originally being to counteract projector sound head film weave .....

I'm afraid I can not see any connection between this post and mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I can not see any connection between this post and mine.

that is your problem. Not mine. I have previously explained how the different systems work. In great detail.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i want to ask styker, since DD into 2 speakers will be indistinguishable from the lower fi 2.0 version, why is making this happen so important ?

DD what?........ 5.1, 5.0, 4.0, something else?? It's not enough to just say DD when making comparisons to something else....

... and what do you mean by "lower fi 2.0 version"... Lower-Fi than what?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is your problem. Not mine. I have previously explained how the different systems work. In great detail.

You have explained how you think they work, sadly most of us do not agree. I still remember your insistence that Dolby Digital wasn't an entirely discrete system with no cross talk between the 6 channels in 5.1 (complete rubbish and easily proven to be wrong). I even created a 5.1 mix with totally unrelated audio on each channel. Even then you didn't believe it :o

Now we have the situation where every AV receiver I have ever had (some cost about £1500), correctly identify the audio they are getting as PCM from channels transmititng audio using MP2 . If it's not PCM what the heck is it ?

Blu-ray players have the option to output multichannel audio from a DTS Master HD track as bitstream (passthrough) or multichannel PCM using a hdmi interconnect. Both formats are lossless. My older Denon Amp lacked a DTS-HD decoder but was capable of using a DTS Master-HD track when converted to multichannel PCM. Up to 8 entirely discrete audio tracks are possible (genuine 7.1)

As usual you are living in the past.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2622
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

As explained to you numerous times.......

The reference to mono surround is referring to a single rear output, a single rear speaker or two rear speakers that carry the same signal. If you look at the Dolby Mono Surround diagram you will see three dots in a square, they represent speakers front left and right and a single rear.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - reading stuff on the internet is one thing - understanding it is another...
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haas effect is used in surround cinema decoders. But not home ones. Which rely mainly on amplitude steering for 2.0 and surround stereo for 5.1
    How I described HAAS working is factually correct. Check it out.

Why you brought up HAAS in a conversation about DD and domestic gear when it is irrelevant is quite baffling. Is it your hobby horse, I wonder? You seem to be a bit obsessed. But I was merely addressing your incorrect assertion that Haas wouldn't work in small rooms. It will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    As explained to you numerous times.......

The reference to mono surround is referring to a single rear output, a single rear speaker or two rear speakers that carry the same signal. If you look at the Dolby Mono Surround diagram you will see three dots in a square, they represent speakers front left and right and a single rear.

cinema decoder simply uses the phase coding on rear channel directly. Whereas the different home use,pro logic decoder uses amplitude steering instead BECAUSE haas effect doesnt work in much smaller space. Both versions give matrixed surround sound, albeit via different methods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have explained how you think they work, sadly most of us do not agree. I still remember your insistence that Dolby Digital wasn't an entirely discrete system with no cross talk between the 6 channels in 5.1 (complete rubbish and easily proven to be wrong). I even created a 5.1 mix with totally unrelated audio on each channel. Even then you didn't believe it :o

Now we have the situation where every AV receiver I have ever had (some cost about £1500), correctly identify the audio they are getting as PCM from channels transmititng audio using MP2 . If it's not PCM what the heck is it ?

Blu-ray players have the option to output multichannel audio from a DTS Master HD track as bitstream (passthrough) or multichannel PCM using a hdmi interconnect. Both formats are lossless. My older Denon Amp lacked a DTS-HD decoder but was capable of using a DTS Master-HD track when converted to multichannel PCM. Up to 8 entirely discrete audio tracks are possible (genuine 7.1)

i never said any such thing. I said that the decoder is the most important part, rather rhan discrete channels vs matrixed delivery. Its how the decoder uses various psycho acoustic tricks which determines how good the experience is ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

pcm is not used for any consumer format except cd. It couldnt be since the bitrate is far too high.this why lossy codecs using fourier transform are used instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DD what?........ 5.1, 5.0, 4.0, something else?? It's not enough to just say DD when making comparisons to something else....

... and what do you mean by "lower fi 2.0 version"... Lower-Fi than what?

2.0 is the matrixed surrouund sound. Which is always transmitted regardless of whether dolby digital (5.1) is there or not. Almost certainly your tv does not have the chips to decode the dd. But it can do 2.0.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcm is the simplest way to do digital audio. So was the 1st system used. But - think carefully - a singld cd with less than 1 hour of stereo uses 700 mb. So how do folks think 5.1 fits onto even a double layer commercial dvd?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

in fact, i said that sound desk mixing is de facto matrixing. Which always happens. Regardless of whether desk output goes to 5.1 or 2.0 or both.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

these codecs all work via a fourier transform. After which, many coefficient values are effectively zero. And are,discarded. Which may be "in effect lossless" although the actual birate is far lower than pcm would be if it were used. Which it isn't for any of these formats
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the dts codec is supposed to be,"perceptually transparent". Better than ac3. But it is not lossless. It uses the same fourier transform as other codecs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    this is all very interesting, but totally irrelevant to the thread subject!