Options

EE giving all customers portable chargers

Comments

• Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charge it while you're walking? You might not be near a USB socket while out and about. Would have thought that was obvious.

Perhaps they are assuming that some people will be that desperate for extra juice in order to photograph their next meal, or document the next decision they make or road they turn into on Facebook, that they'll either be already living their lives around their phone battery life or have already made contingency plans to charge it and so would probably be wearing a hat with solar panels or walking along with one of those hand driven dynamo's that you squeeze. ;-)

Problem solved.....for those who really need to prolong that last bar of battery power :D

http://www.instructables.com/id/SOLAR-CAP-MOBILE-CHARGER/
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Charge it while you're walking? You might not be near a USB socket while out and about. Would have thought that was obvious.

Who would charge it whilst walking? If you have a phone that doesn't last a day you know this already so you take your charger with you in the morning fully charged. That's obvious.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    It's only free if you are an EE customer.

If the scheme isn't making EE any money I can't see them sticking with it once the initial publicity benefit has worn off.

I think a charge of a pound a time would keep it viable, and maybe get other outlets involved such as supermarkets or petrol stations. Maybe even National Rail.

Yes because it's an EE product.

That's up to EE and not you or me. I'd rather have it for free thank you. If you want to pay money for one, buy one fom EE or another company.

EE could come up with some kind of deal for other outlets, but that's up to them and not us.

Again, I'd rather this be free rather than spending money on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Who would charge it whilst walking? If you have a phone that doesn't last a day you know this already so you take your charger with you in the morning fully charged. That's obvious.

People who need their phone charging :confused: who else do you think? Yes then you use it and it becomes useless until charged again. What if your partner wants to use it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who need their phone charging :confused: who else do you think? Yes then you use it and it becomes useless until charged again. What if your partner wants to use it?

Your missing the point. Everyone (usually) starts the day with a fully charged phone. As the day progresses so the phone loses power. So one woukd take with them, as they know this, a fully charged charger. So when power is needed the charger is used. The ability to go into an EE store and swop a unpowered charger for a charged one is not really a big selling point.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Except that this is of an unknown quantity, might blow up, and doesn't have an immediate exchange policy at any EE store.

It's not really a rental when there is no ongoing cost. You just have to remember not to throw it away and to return it in 18 months time, if not before

Immediate exchanges are useful if you've run out of power and are not in a position to recharge, if you can pop in and get it swapped over that's nice

I'm with you here. That looks decidedly dodgy and how is it going to be a decent battery in there for so little money?
    You don't get ought for nought.
    I think we have decided that EE's is probably an Anker device so has a proper battery (and crucially, proper battery charge monitoring electronics so it doesn't blow up and burn your house down) that will actually work and is worth around 10 quid.
    So on this basis, it's a good deal how ever you look at it.
    Effectively you are getting a good quality unit for free as long as you look after it.
    The other poster was probably right though, are they seriously going to ask for them back? I mean, several million? The batteries will be knackered by then anyway.
    It is probably just to stop people selling them right away.
    Who cares though... hey!... free portable charger!!!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except its not free and its not yours.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It really doesn't matter though. If you got an EE bar tomorrow, in 18 months the battery is likely to be dead (as in not rechargeable) if you use it often enough. The same would be true for most of them off of Amazon (and definitely the cheapest, nastiest ones if they haven't blown up before then).

If you return it you've paid 35p for at least 18 months' worth of power bars, free recharges and so on. That is not bad.

I'm not an EE customer really but I have an old PAYG SIM so I might take advantage of this. I'm really finding it hard to see the advantage of paying 10 and a bit times the EE cost for a device that is nowhere near as well made and doesn't have the exchange policy that the EE one has
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Arrrggghhhhh.... deleted!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    I'm with you here. That looks decidedly dodgy and how is it going to be a decent battery in there for so little money?
    You don't get ought for nought.
    I think we have decided that EE's is probably an Anker device so has a proper battery (and crucially, proper battery charge monitoring electronics so it doesn't blow up and burn your house down) that will actually work and is worth around 10 quid.
    So on this basis, it's a good deal how ever you look at it.
    Effectively you are getting a good quality unit for free as long as you look after it.
    The other poster was probably right though, are they seriously going to ask for them back? I mean, several million? The batteries will be knackered by then anyway.
    It is probably just to stop people selling them right away.
    Who cares though... hey!... free portable charger!!!

That may well be true. It's like the dying days of ITV digital where the administrators seriously tried to get the old ITV boxes back from customers (some of whom were owed up to a year's worth of money as they had a prepaid TV service). After some backlash they decided not to bother, probably because the boxes were pretty old and crappy at that point and probably to avoid any further uproar
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really doesn't matter though. If you got an EE bar tomorrow, in 18 months the battery is likely to be dead (as in not rechargeable) if you use it often enough. The same would be true for most of them off of Amazon (and definitely the cheapest, nastiest ones if they haven't blown up before then).

If you return it you've paid 35p for at least 18 months' worth of power bars, free recharges and so on. That is not bad.

I'm not an EE customer really but I have an old PAYG SIM so I might take advantage of this

You did that thing there where it looked like I was posting in reply to you......
    Had to delete!!!!
    Hahahahaha

I will always click quote and not jut post a reply......

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That may well be true. It's like the dying days of ITV digital where the administrators seriously tried to get the old ITV boxes back from customers (some of whom were owed up to a year's worth of money as they had a prepaid TV service). After some backlash they decided not to bother, probably because the boxes were pretty old and crappy at that point and probably to avoid any further uproar

Haha, I saw a customer tonight just up the road from me who attempted to get FTTC but was just too far from the Harberton Cab.
    BT came out repeatedly apparently and ended up leaving them with their previous standard ADSL2 (1 Mbps) but also two BT VDSL modems and two Plusnet WAN routers.
    The guy asked what to do with the kit. He has already tried twice to return it and nothing happens.
    I said just keep it and if they don't ask for it in the next 12 months, I might be interested in at least the routers.
    I wonder how much kit is out there that should have been returned?
    Millions worth I suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your missing the point. Everyone (usually) starts the day with a fully charged phone. As the day progresses so the phone loses power. So one woukd take with them, as they know this, a fully charged charger. So when power is needed the charger is used. The ability to go into an EE store and swop a unpowered charger for a charged one is not really a big selling point.

I'm not missing any point. I've just literally explained why someone may need to swap it for a fully charged one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's 35p. It's basically free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Victor is on drugs and will probably be voting for Ed...
    Or Nicola.... I like Nicola.... totally stark raving bonkers..... but I like her!!!!!
    Hahahahahahaha
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And if you are using your phone a lot and the charger runs out of battery, and your phone then runs out of battery again?
    Won\t happen to most people I agree, but certainly for those of us who use our smartphones a lot on days where we are away from mains sockets all day. it is very much a big selling point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry Mods. Apologies. Totally off topic.
    I am bad..... and drunk.
    Better not go on Bookface tonight....
    :D
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,666
    Forum Member

They only stopped when Carlton&Granada (now ITV plc) gave the administrators some money for the boxes as they felt the administrators were damaging their brand! Probably right. "ITV Digital" was actually a separate company to what we now know as ITV to make things confusing - but that was how they were able to go into administration.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he ability to go into an EE store and swop a unpowered charger for a charged one is not really a big selling point.

Now you see for, that is (or was) a massive selling point.

But there are too many what ifs on this and it looks like it only lasts 18 months anyway, so I'm going to pass I think.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm, I've already seen a couple of people charging an EE Power Bar in a local bar (of the licensed drinking variety) on their USB power sockets :D I wonder how many will go into the free charging lockers in the local shopping centre too?
    victor mel wrote:

Also think of events like Glastonbury where EE have a presence and most people wont be able to charge there phones / batteries for a few days. By ensuring there customers have chargers before they arrive they have an easy way of keep there customers powered throughout the weekend, using more data and making phone calls

I for one - when I picked my power bar up at dinner time it (my phone) was already down to 45% remaining, and by the end of my dinner break it was up to 58% again. A boost of about 10% is all I need to get my phone through my heavy use days. It's a lot lighter than my 9600mAh charger that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Hmm, I've already seen a couple of people charging an EE Power Bar in a local bar (of the licensed drinking variety) on their USB power sockets :D I .

Ooh, which bar has those? Do you need a lead, or do they provide one?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "They won't. It's all bluff and bluster"

Debt is debt. It might well be a nice little earner years later for a paper pushing department.
    £5 can soon spiral into hundreds or even thousands if you don't adhere to a contract agreement.

It simply ain't worth the risk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "They won't. It's all bluff and bluster"

Debt is debt. It might well be a nice little earner years later for a paper pushing department.
    £5 can soon spiral into hundreds or even thousands if you don't adhere to a contract agreement.

It simply ain't worth the risk.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

I think it's an over-reaction - they won't reasonably get away with charging any more than the currently published £5 (which is probably more or less at cost to them since they've bought loads in volume). I assume also that you can return the power bar at any time if you've had enough. As others have said, the chances of sending debt collectors after it is minimal - it'd cost more than £5 for EE to even think about it

It's no different to if you have Virgin TV/internet - technically you rent the equipment from them and they want it back if you cancel. Do you worry about that? Especially since they can charge far more for a lost TV set top box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My concern now is I originally sent the text to receive the code before I realised the charger is not a free gift but a rented product. So I am not getting one but reading on Hot UK deals from a lot of people in many cases the main connection to someone who went into a store and was given a charger is the sent text to the recipients phone. Many said they were not asked to show the code.