Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,866
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Interesting interview with the writer and star of Atlantis about what went wrong:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/apr/21/that-sinking-feeling-the-creators-of-atlantis-on-where-it-went-wrong

They are so bitter! Dear me.

There's so much wrong with that article I don't know where to begin, although the comment about fortitude made me laugh- That's is a channel that normally gets 100k or less, not prime time BBC One Saturday's- They really messed up Series 1 and could never recover it is the real reason it failed imo
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit like the comments section of other websites such as Daily Mail, They make more sense.

Back to ratings, This warm weather may affect things until about 20:00.

Well that's a sentence I never thought I'd read:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    There's so much wrong with that article I don't know where to begin, although the comment about fortitude made me laugh- That's is a channel that normally gets 100k or less, not prime time BBC One Saturday's- They really messed up Series 1 and could never recover it is the real reason it failed imo

Delusional is a word that came to mind. Comparing Atlantis to Breaking Bad. Don't make me laugh!
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Coronation Street 6.74m (35.9%) 8.30pm 6.69m (31.4%)
    Eastenders 6.39m (31.4%)
    Emmerdale 5.57m (32.9%)

A fairly stable Monday for the soaps. Eastenders only 400k away from beating both episodes of Corrie

Or Corrie beating EE by 400k? Why do people think they it's EE that is the golden soap that all other ones have to compare to?:D

I wish they'd all drop so low in ratings and get off the air.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    Or Corrie beating EE by 400k? Why do people think they it's EE that is the golden soap that all other ones have to compare to?:D

I think its just that CS has usually been ahead of EE by at least 1m and sometimes more so that comparison seems relevant.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

That article is totally hilarious. The comparisons with Netflix are beyond inappropriate, for the precisely the reasons you say, and the claims about the ratings are totally overshadowed by the fact that Atlantis failed to stand up to TXF in the way Merlin did (and was a much better show). Add to that a failure to acknowledge that they messed up one basic thing at the very start - Jason is parachuted into Atlantis and then immediately behaves as if he's always been there and has no memory of the 21st Century beyond his father.

Even funnier is the reveal that Series 3 was going to be Jason & The Argonauts … I bet ITV are reading that with huge relief, and wondering whether or not to green light their version of that.

BTW, Jonny Capps is not a writer … ;-)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Solid start for Safe House last night.

A better than solid start. Safe House started higher than Code Of A Killer.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Well reasoned C14E. Channel 4 are merging entertainment and factual entertainment for the reasons you suggested. Factual delivered more hits.

I should really be running Channel 4. :p

A sensible move though (although I'd have got rid of formats and music as well). Seems like they're slimming down the entire entertainment commissioning team as well which makes some sense given the current level of output but hopefully they go forward trying to improve their entertainment offering rather than just sideline it. I still think The Voice was a huge missed opportunity for C4 and the success of stuff like Million Pound Drop, 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and The Jump in recent years suggests they could pull off an entertainment hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like the look of those. Hope they do well as it broadens ITV's drama genres.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I should really be running Channel 4. :p

A sensible move though (although I'd have got rid of formats and music as well). Seems like they're slimming down the entire entertainment commissioning team as well which makes some sense given the current level of output but hopefully they go forward trying to improve their entertainment offering rather than just sideline it. I still think The Voice was a huge missed opportunity for C4 and the success of stuff like Million Pound Drop, 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and The Jump in recent years suggests they could pull off an entertainment hit.

It is an admission that the entertainment department hasn't delivered. Maybe they should merge the drama department with it? :D

Channel 4 can do entertainment but they have run Million Pound Drop into the ground and 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown is in danger of burn out. Plus the original is starting to wane.

The Voice thing is funny. Jay Hunt said she didn't want it in an interview then commissioned a blatant copy! :D

On another topic. Do you know how Pointless and Paul O'Grady did C14E?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be interested to know that new BBC1 daytime quiz Decimate was decimated! Only 722k.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

That will never happen as soaps are the most watched programs on tele so keep on dreaming lol :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Elgin on Gallifrey Base.

A Digiguide update.

Saturday 2nd

BBC1

5:10 - Film: WALL-E
    6:40 - BBC News & Weather
    6:55 - Pointless Celebrities
    7:45 - Atlantis
    8:30 - In It To Win It
    9:20 - Casualty
    10:10 - BBC News & Weather
    10:30 - Match Of The Day

ITV

6 - You've Been Framed!
    7 - Ninja Warrior
    8 - Britain's Got Talent
    9:15 - Play To The Whistle
    10 - ITV News & Weather
    10:15 - Film: Cliffhanger

Film premiere Dredd is at 10 on Channel 4.

Sunday 3rd

The C Word is at 8:30 on BBC1.
    The Stranger On The Bridge is at 9 on Channel 4.

Monday 4th

VE Day: Remembering Victory is at 8:30 on BBC1.
    8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown returns at 9 on Channel 4. The final three episodes of Ballot Monkeys are stripped nightly at 10.

Tuesday 5th

Champions League TBA at 7:30 on ITV.
    No Offence starts at 9 on Channel 4.
    The Canal Trip is at 8 on BBC4.

Wednesday 6th

Charlie Brooker's Election Wipe is at 9 on BBC2.

Thursday 7th

Watchdog At 30 is at 8 on BBC1, followed by Shark at 8:55. General Election coverage from 9:55.
    Channel 4's election coverage includes The Last Leg at 9:30 and Gogglebox at 10.

Friday 8th

Question Time is at 8:30 on BBC1, with Have I Got News For You pushed back to 9:30.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Elgin on Gallifrey Base.

A Digiguide update.

Saturday 2nd

BBC1

5:10 - Film: WALL-E
    6:40 - BBC News & Weather
    6:55 - Pointless Celebrities
    7:45 - Atlantis
    8:30 - In It To Win It
    9:20 - Casualty
    10:10 - BBC News & Weather
    10:30 - Match Of The Day

ITV

6 - You've Been Framed!
    7 - Ninja Warrior
    8 - Britain's Got Talent
    9:15 - Play To The Whistle
    10 - ITV News & Weather
    10:15 - Film: Cliffhanger

Film premiere Dredd is at 10 on Channel 4.

Sunday 3rd

The C Word is at 8:30 on BBC1.
    The Stranger On The Bridge is at 9 on Channel 4.

Monday 4th

VE Day: Remembering Victory is at 8:30 on BBC1.
    8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown returns at 9 on Channel 4. The final three episodes of Ballot Monkeys are stripped nightly at 10.

Tuesday 5th

Champions League TBA at 7:30 on ITV.
    No Offence starts at 9 on Channel 4.
    The Canal Trip is at 8 on BBC4.

Wednesday 6th

Charlie Brooker's Election Wipe is at 9 on BBC2.

Thursday 7th

Watchdog At 30 is at 8 on BBC1, followed by Shark at 8:55. General Election coverage from 9:55.
    Channel 4's election coverage includes The Last Leg at 9:30 and Gogglebox at 10.

Friday 8th

Question Time is at 8:30 on BBC1, with Have I Got News For You pushed back to 9:30.

The BBC trying to get a jump in on ITV's new drama Home Fires?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When does Home Fires start? ITV has their own Sheridan Smith drama in June. A police series called Black Work.
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 will air last Clarkson Top Gear episodes in the summer
    And Daniel Radcliff and Bill Paxton will star in the grand Theft Auto drama Game Changer too
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    BBC2 will air last Clarkson Top Gear episodes in the summer
    And Daniel Radcliff and Bill Paxton will star in the grand Theft Auto drama Game Changer too

Interesting also to see Two Doors Down getting a full series - it was piloted as a one off on BBC1 on New Years Eve 2013.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When does Home Fires start? ITV has their own Sheridan Smith drama in June. A police series called Black Work.

I think it will start after Vera has finished on Sundays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terribly sorry, but that's clearly wrong, the very first paragraph of Five Live's service licence says...
    "The remit of BBC Radio 5 live is to provide live news and sports coverage. It should
    be BBC Radio’s main outlet for breaking news by bringing its audience major news stories as they happen."
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/service_licences/radio/2014/5live_apr14.pdf

If Five Live schedule a phone-in every day at 9am, they clearly think there's little chance of it having to be abandoned for breaking news. LBC do a phone-in at 9am every day as well. Of course, they can do breaking news in this hour, like they can do breaking news on Derbyshire's programme.
    What I meant to say was TV news channel. You can populate a radio schedule with phone-ins and drop in and out for news. News channels have more analytical shows later in the day.
    Well, yes, and maybe there's an issue that it should only run 9-10am, but people seem to be suggesting that later in the day is when there's "less breaking news", based on what? Parliament's not in session at 9am, America is asleep. Yesterday's live election blog on the Guardian website had nothing happening between 9am and 10am (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/20/election-2015-live-nicola-sturgeon-snp-manifesto-scotland-labour-nhs), just reports on things that had been said at breakfast time or stuff coming up later. It's a dead slot. I don't wish to hammer this point home but nobody's explaining why another slot would be better.

That's the other problem. Derbyshire's programme is too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Interesting also to see Two Doors Down getting a full series - it was piloted as a one off on BBC1 on New Years Eve 2013.

I remember that and thought it had been universally panned on here. Seems a bit strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member

As we have seen before though good dramas can coexist and I would expect both of these to do well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »

I thought that was the BBC1 comedy. Another BBC1 programme shifting to BBC2. I see no problem with this. Some shows just don't fit some channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I remember that and thought it had been universally panned on here. Seems a bit strange.

I didn't think it was great and wouldn't get a big audience on BBC1. Should have been on BBC2 from day 1, even then I say it shouldn't have been made as it wasn't very funny.
This discussion has been closed.