Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,280
    Forum Member
    Versailles wrote: »
    Hei!

I did not watch the MGP, as I am really only interested in the Eurovision finals.
    Like always, I think the Norwegian song is awful. However, a tad better than last year.

I am not too keen on balads, they have to be very good to impress me:D

I need songs that makes me want to dance and shake my old-ish (47) body:D

I like you already! :cool:
  • Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind Australia competing every year, but if that means that they've bought their way into the Big 6 when other countries have wanted that status for years... Then yeah, hope they don't win. If it were Azerbaijan buying their way to the final people would be going crazy. It's gone from...

'It's a one off." to...
    "We get to come back once to defend out title if we win." to...
    "If we win we will be back every year." to...
    "If we do well we will be back every year."

Personally, I think this has been the plan all along. If they bomb in May coming a mid-tabled 13th, they'll probably still be back as an automatic qualifier. I do think the 'ESC Death' comments are ridiculous though.
  • Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    I like you already! :cool:

Cheers! :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    I don't mind Australia competing every year, but if that means that they've bought their way into the Big 6 when other countries have wanted that status for years... Then yeah, hope they don't win. If it were Azerbaijan buying their way to the final people would be going crazy. It's gone from...

'It's a one off." to...
    "We get to come back once to defend out title if we win." to...
    "If we win we will be back every year." to...
    "If we do well we will be back every year."

Personally, I think this has been the plan all along. If they bomb in May coming a mid-tabled 13th, they'll probably still be back as an automatic qualifier. I do think the 'ESC Death' comments are ridiculous though.

I don't think being one of the pre qualified countries is any advantage at all. I may be wrong.

But I don't think I am :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK performance in Moscow: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RpGWbICodp8

This is just some magic dress changes away from being 'Celebrate' 2.0 re the bubbles. Adds to the fun factor though I guess. What was most interesting? The song? Duet? Performance? No... The bubbles! Just about says it all. The seemed to love the scat part though and got a decent reaction at the end. Faultless vocals from Bianca. Faultless talking from Alex.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Australia do become a permanent fixture at the contest. It's massively popular there and I'd much rather have a country that's nowhere near Europe but loves the contest and gets into the spirit of it than one who seems to have no concept of fun or playing by the rules but is let in because it's sort of close-ish to Europe. *cough*Azerbaijan*cough*

Now that they're in, the EBU can say "This was only ever intended to be a one off but Australia's participation was such a success this year that we've been inundated with requests by fans and by broadcasters to invite them back again next year".

I'm totally in favour of them staying in. It would be silly to suggest that they are somehow "diluting" the Contest. It's still a European contest rooted in Europe, even if they win one of them. You're quite right too in suggesting that Azerbaijan's participation has been nothing short of a disgrace with their behind the scenes antics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think being one of the pre qualified countries is any advantage at all. I may be wrong.

But I don't think I am :D

I agree totally, but some countries such as Sweden (just an example) would love that status. Other countries which are much closer to home such as Kosovo and Kazakhstan have even been denied participation. Yet Australia pays enough and not only do they get to participate without having membership, but also gets automatic qualification.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This is just some magic dress changes away from being 'Celebrate' 2.0 re the bubbles. Adds to the fun factor though I guess. What was most interesting? The song? Duet? Performance? No... The bubbles! Just about says it all. The seemed to love the scat part though and got a decent reaction at the end. Faultless vocals from Bianca. Faultless talking from Alex.

:o:o

SILWY is nothing compared to that slice of amazingness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o:o

SILWY is nothing compared to that slice of amazingness.

:D:D:D Aha... Where is that madness this year?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good grief these two videos should come with a warning. It really doesn't work when you've invited the shit half of the group, all the vocal help in the world can't save Julia and wtf is she wearing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i2zWCNBJyg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49BBbT6ics0

t.A.T.u. still should've won back in the day though, even if it was a vocal disaster. :p
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    @rosetta for nerdy, I think that most of us on here would count, just for the combined vast knowledge of what are some pretty obscure facts!
    Yeah, on second thought I can't deny that getting 54/60 in the anniversary quiz could be seen as fairly nerdy... :blush:
    Hello from Norway!
    Hi Versailles! The Nordic contingent is getting stronger here (I'm from Finland myself) ;)
    I implore everyone to watch it. I watched it all last night and it was a great insight into so many aspects, naturally I marked out like the fangirl I am at any Ruslana mentions. :D The European History lecture bit can be skipped, I did history at all levels of schooling when I was younger and it couldn't even hold my attention, so dull.
    Ah, but I like history a lot, at least I used to, I even applied to study it in uni, but then ended up in the languages department (guess I was more cut out for linguistics, after all) ;) And I guess that's why the Secret History of Eurovision is probably my favourite documentary ever - it combines two of my passions, Eurovision and (political) history :D (Well, maybe a bit too much to call the latter a 'passion', but still.)
    t.A.T.u. still should've won back in the day though, even if it was a vocal disaster. :p
    Yeah, one of the few Russian entries I like, although Turkey was a deserved winner.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Ah, but I like history a lot, at least I used to, I even applied to study it in uni, but then ended up in the languages department (guess I was more cut out for linguistics, after all) ;) And I guess that's why the Secret History of Eurovision is probably my favourite documentary ever - it combines two of my passions, Eurovision and (political) history :D (Well, maybe a bit too much to call the latter a 'passion', but still.)

I like history as well and did study it at Uni, but this was new levels of tedium and his monotone voice didn't help. Social history is more my thing, war/politics isn't.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I implore everyone to watch it. I watched it all last night and it was a great insight into so many aspects, naturally I marked out like the fangirl I am at any Ruslana mentions. :D The European History lecture bit can be skipped, I did history at all levels of schooling when I was younger and it couldn't even hold my attention, so dull.

I'd probably go further and suggest all the ESC naysayers should be forced to watch it too, especially that segment on the statistical analysis of viewing figures and the like. I hope some technical whiz can cut that and upload it to youtube, because I'd love to quote some of that every time the 'antis' come crawling out the woodwork! :p

Lisa, I'm watching it all now... all 7 hours of it! Perfect for all ESC anoraks. Paddy is a great chair. Even the very long lecture on politics was interesting to me. I'm very grateful they've put it all online. I was off work on Friday and almost went along but this is as good as being there. Right they've just had lunch and the next session is starting....
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,868
    Forum Member

I have to say, they are getting better and better as we rumble towards May- Bianca's loving it, and Alex's terrible dancing makes me smile- It's exactly the opposite of what I want from the UK, but it's grown on me a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Versailles! The Nordic contingent is getting stronger here (I'm from Finland myself) ;)

Terve, Rosetta :)
  • Options
    alwaysanigel247alwaysanigel247 Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    I like history as well and did study it at Uni, but this was new levels of tedium and his monotone voice didn't help. Social history is more my thing, war/politics isn't.

Same views, as a politics student I did a lot of history so was really looking forward to his speech. But he didn't have any slides, just reading his notes and no interactions with the audience which was so so dull sitting there and listen to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Is Molly Sterling going to be a late addition to the London Preview party? It's a disgrace if she's not after last years no show at any preview parties. Ryanair flights are still cheap these days :confused:
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terve, Rosetta :)
    I'm not even going to ask what you think of our entry this year... :blush::D
    I'm sorry, I cursorily read your earlier post to say that history couldn't even hold your attention at school, but of course on closer reading that's not at all what you said, quite the contrary :blush: Oh, I'm not into wars either, but political history is much more than that!
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bantastic wrote: »
    Is Molly Sterling going to be a late addition to the London Preview party? It's a disgrace if she's not after last years no show at any preview parties. Ryanair flights are still cheap these days :confused:

RTE do rather seem to have given up these days. I thought last year's NQ might give them a kick up the backside but they're not putting much effort in at all this year. It's just lucky there's not much potential to ruin the staging like they usually manage to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    RTE do rather seem to have given up these days. I thought last year's NQ might give them a kick up the backside but they're not putting much effort in at all this year. It's just lucky there's not much potential to ruin the staging like they usually manage to.

Stuart O'Connor lives not too far from me I will give him a ring asking for topless dancers ASAP ;-) I don't understand the lack of promotion from RTE though. A place in the final is worth quite alot to them. Saying that I do think she will qualify with UK/Australia voting and a fair splatter of western countries in this semi.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK managed to stage englebert really well in 2012 didn't they
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bantastic wrote: »

I hope not. We have enough beige entries tomorrow night without adding :blush:>:(
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conchita Wurst on BBC Radio 4 this morning. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rk5tg

Go to about 5 minutes in.

That reminds me..

The other day, as I arrived at a bus stop, a young man turned around to speak to me. I could not make out what he was saying due to the traffic noise. "I'm sorry", I said, "I couldn't hear you for the noise, but what did you just say?" He said, "It's a lovely day, isn't it!". "Yes, it sure is", I replied. A bus then pulls up. I stayed back, and after the last passenger gets off, I turned to him and said, "You were here first." To which he replied, "Ladies first."

I'm thinking a Conchita fan.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even going to ask what you think of our entry this year... :blush::D

I think this emoticon describes my reaction well: :o
This discussion has been closed.