Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    More children for social services to be concerned about this week. Where were Asda and Aldi when Julie and Mary were having their very public fight in the Rovers? Sophie cannot have been looking after them as she must have been in the shop!
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just assumed that if he was booking flights online, there would also be hotels to be booked too. Has he got a credit card? It wont be cheap

Just tried booking a flight for one adult and two kids from Liverpool to Dublin tomorrow morning with Ryanair - £130. Not that expensive - and certainly no need to book hotels or anything daft like that.

(PS I didn't book it!).
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tried booking a flight for one adult and two kids from Liverpool to Dublin tomorrow morning with Ryanair - £130. Not that expensive - and certainly no need to book hotels or anything daft like that.

(PS I didn't book it!).

Why would he not need a hotel? Have I missed something?

£130 isn't that bad tbh
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would he not need a hotel? Have I missed something?

Just wouldn't. Or if he did, there's no reason to book one at the same time as booking the flights.

I have been booking online flights for the past five or six years. Been to Tenerife (five times), Rome and Paris. Have never once booked a hotel through an online flights website.

For Rome and Paris we found a hotel we wanted to stay at on the dates we wanted to stay - then worried about finding the most convenient flight provider afterwards. Ryanair, Monarch, Easyjet, Jet2 - none of them try to force you to book a hotel at the same time. I think they might give you links to hotels if you want them to - certainly Jet2 sell holidays as well as flights.

As far as Tenerife goes, we know where we are staying anyway. A friend has an apartment there, we just book flights when we want to go, and get on the bus from the airport to the apartment once we're through passport control. Don't even bother with suitcases nowadays, hand luggage only, we've got so many clothes and toiletries and stuff already stored there. Quite often book the flights out and the flights back with completely different airlines - last year it was Jet2 to Tenerife, Easyjet coming home. Have even flown out from one airport (Leeds) and back to a different one (Manchester).
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Did David pay for a taxi all the way from Salford to Liverpool pier head?

No, he went to the station, caught the train to Liverpool, then a taxi from the station to the hotel.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David has missed a trick with letting Callum know who's boss. Never mind running away to a hotel. He should have lured Callum to his workplace, the salon, and tortured him with a beauty session after having torn his top off and given Callum the wax strip treatment all over that fully carpeted bare chest of his until it was bald and so very red and sore!
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caroil wrote: »
    More children for social services to be concerned about this week. Where were Asda and Aldi when Julie and Mary were having their very public fight in the Rovers? Sophie cannot have been looking after them as she must have been in the shop!

You've forgotten the ubiquitous sleepover which can be any time anywhere. When they're too old for a childminder, they're at a sleepover.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest SOR has to that cardigan/top or whatever it was. They could not make him any camper if they tried. Could they????

Mary's vans story is just sooooo poor. Having said that if Ilived in a small backstreet area like Coronation St I would not wish that parked in my street. Anyway, where does she get her water supplies from, her electricity.

Manchester is one of the busiest airports in UK why did David go to Liverpool?

Could Liz's skirt last night been any shorter. Could someone please remind her that she is in her mid 50 's
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    David has missed a trick with letting Callum know who's boss. Never mind running away to a hotel. He should have lured Callum to his workplace, the salon, and tortured him with a beauty session after having torn his top off and given Callum the wax strip treatment all over that fully carpeted bare chest of his until it was bald and so very red and sore!

"Torn his top off"
    Ye Gods and little fishes. Does Callum wear a syrup?
    PMSL
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    You've forgotten the ubiquitous sleepover which can be any time anywhere. When they're too old for a childminder, they're at a sleepover.
    The most popular children in Manchester! :D
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Biggest SOR has to that cardigan/top or whatever it was. They could not make him any camper if they tried. Could they????

Mary's vans story is just sooooo poor. Having said that if Ilived in a small backstreet area like Coronation St I would not wish that parked in my street. Anyway, where does she get her water supplies from, her electricity.

Manchester is one of the busiest airports in UK why did David go to Liverpool?

Could Liz's skirt last night been any shorter. Could someone please remind her that she is in her mid 50 's

I dont know why they bothered to have the van inspector mention she was working on a bank holiday when the whole world knows it would never happen? :confused: Why not just make it a different day?
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    And while I'm in full swing of ranting..... How the heck did Tony get from one minute desperately not wanting Liz to find out about Tracey, to swindling the pub from under her nose?
    As far as I remember, her only crime was to ask him to do an extra shift or something?
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,996
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    What sort of wedding are they having anyway? Steve's been married loads of times and they are hardly love's young dream. What's wrong with nice clothes, registry office and back to the Rovers? Surely they can afford that?

I don't see why Michelle is so keen on a big wedding either. Surely the important thing is that they get married. A simple do at the pub (or community centre :D) could be lovely. It doesn't ring true that she and Steve are worrying about paying for a fancy do, especially as he isn't well. You'd expect Chelle to tell him the only thing she cares about is tying the knot, and not to fret over the trimmings.
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a soap staple that women must take out a lone you could hire a small island with to pay for the wedding of her dreams and the down trodden man tries to talk sense into her.

Saw a story in doctors where this woman wanted to blow 20 grand on a wedding whilst her fiancée wanted to buy a. "Stupid" car with some of it. He pointed out that the stupid car got them to work etc. Much more sensible approach
  • Options
    Ivory LaceIvory Lace Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not meaning to lower the tone,*coughs* but where does Mary empty her camper van toilet?
  • Options
    Ivory LaceIvory Lace Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be more realistic to see her lugging it across the street trying to find a kind soul who lets her empty it in their loo.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no.1s down the drain in the road. no.2s - on the red rec ?!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivory Lace wrote: »
    It would be more realistic to see her lugging it across the street trying to find a kind soul who lets her empty it in their loo.

Then spills it over the street. :D Or over someone's shoes. Her excrement and piss.
  • Options
    dobbybeardobbybear Posts: 18,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The whole motor home thing was just plain wrong. I live on the south coast of Dorset and every summer our local council plays cat and mouse with travellers.

We currently have eleven motor homes and three caravans occupying a local beauty spot car park. They arrived on Friday, knowing that Monday was a bank holiday, and the council can't go to court until today to get an eviction order, then they will serve notice on them and they will have 24 hours to move on - to another open space in the town and the process will start again. Legally the council has to send a welfare officer and a medical person to make sure that everyone has access to everything they need. In the meantime to avoid some of the mess they leave behind, the council provides them with portable toilets and a rubbish skip. This will go on throughout the summer from Mayday Bank holiday until the beginning of September when they all gather at the Great Dorset Steam Fair. Even if they break into a space, no-one can be arrested and prosecuted because the individual who has done the breaking in has to be identified and anyone ho didn't do it would be unlawfully imprisoned.

If there was a transit camp, they could be moved on straight away, but we are a unitary authority with nowhere this could be established. We can't use the ones already set up in Dorset because our council is separate from them.

An English judge in an English court decreed that travellers came under the same ethnic group as gypsies, and under EU law gypsies are allowed to roam and set up camp as they always have done unless it's on a protected area. The road, car parks and open green spaces are not classes as protected.

Definition of a traveller - anyone who travels for any part of the year. So legally Mary is a traveller and the council would have to apply to the courts for an eviction order to get her to move on. I doubt that Manchester has a transit camp (please correct me if they have), so definitely another a HUGE OR.

That really means that anyone who goes on holiday in a motor home or caravan is a traveller - but would you get away with setting up camp anywhere you chose? I doubt it.

It is not illegal to stay in your motorhome in the street as long as the vehicle is taxed, tested and insured and is not parked where there is a sign of official order prohibiting them, otherwise it is just like any other vehicle
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Sarah said her shift finished at one. What time does the Rovers open 12? So they have a shift consisting of one hour.

And hard man Callum wears a top that makes him look even more stupid than he already looks.

And when " Kim Tate" announces she is pregnant no one expresses surprise that she might be a bit old to become pregnant

Well I suppose it's conceivable Sarah could have started at nine or so to set up (albeit unlikely as there's three live in staff members there) but even then finishing at one, when it's likely to be reasonably busy, to clock off!

And I found it odd that Michelle wasn't more incredulous when Carla told her about Erica. At least Leanne and Kal had the excuse they were trying to be polite. :D I think the first thing anyone would say would be 'how's that possible?!'

I suppose at least they mentioned Lilly in this episode, but that buggy seemed to be one for a much younger child. A child that age would be hanging out talking not snoozing within its depths :D
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Well I suppose it's conceivable Sarah could have started at nine or so to set up (albeit unlikely as there's three live in staff members there) but even then finishing at one, when it's likely to be reasonably busy, to clock off!

And I found it odd that Michelle wasn't more incredulous when Carla told her about Erica. At least Leanne and Kal had the excuse they were trying to be polite. :D I think the first thing anyone would say would be 'how's that possible?!'

I suppose at least they mentioned Lilly in this episode, but that buggy seemed to be one for a much younger child. A child that age would be hanging out talking not snoozing within its depths :D

Certainly a child capable of playing ball in the garden with Max!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm the same age as Erica and I know that if I started telling people I was pregnant, there would be a lot of :confused::confused::confused: in the air :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would Nick know David kept his passport in that drawer? I have absolutely no idea where my sister keeps hers. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same age as Erica and I know that if I started telling people I was pregnant, there would be a lot of :confused::confused::confused: in the air :D

I'm only 43 but I think it may be a nine day wonder even for someone my age!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would Nick know David kept his passport in that drawer? I have absolutely no idea where my sister keeps hers. :D

Because, in Soapland, the "passport drawer" has to be downstairs, in a tiny drawer, that also contains keys, scissors, phone chargers, pens, post it notes and anything else that is needed "to hand" in a storyline.:D
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    dobbybear wrote: »
    It is not illegal to stay in your motorhome in the street as long as the vehicle is taxed, tested and insured and is not parked where there is a sign of official order prohibiting them, otherwise it is just like any other vehicle
    Well I know that and you know that, although it might be if you stayed in it in one place permanently, which, Mary isn't doing because it isn't always parked on Coronation Street. So it's an SOR that the council woman would turn up like that.

It's a different matter though of you turn up as a group and park on an open green space in the middle of a town or take over a car park without adhering to the length of stay allowed, not paying parking fees, or inconveniencing others by stopping them from legally using the space or car park. That's when court orders have to be taken out to move them on.
This discussion has been closed.