Options

Sudden Surge in bets on Tristram Hunt being next Labour leader at 7-1

Comments

• Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    Plenty of Labour commentators are mentioning it.

Labour should know from Scotland they can't take their northern vote for granted

So you tell me why do Labour need to reconnect with the north when most of the east and west is a sea of red Labour?!

Scottish Labour is not interlinked with UK Labour. Scottish Labour have their own issues they need to fix that are unconnected to the stuff going on in England.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't make judgments of one interview.

Boris is the most popular politician in the country and won two elections in Labour London.

Yeah metropolitan London..

And one interview? when Boris was an MP in the 00s they used to keep him away from the cameras!
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of Labour commentators are mentioning it.

Labour should know from Scotland they can't take their northern vote for granted

Especially as UKIP seem to be making inroads in the north.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at @SentinelStaffs's Tweet: https://twitter.com/SentinelStaffs/status/597807236732321792?s=09

An interesting and intriguing development.

Isn't he immensely rich though? He could easily afford to drop a few quid, get the bookies to shorten the odds a bit, stir up some publicity.....just saying
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you tell me why do Labour need to reconnect with the north when most of the east and west is a sea of red Labour?!

Scottish Labour is not interlinked with UK Labour. Scottish Labour have their own issues they need to fix that are unconnected to the stuff going on in England.

Look at the UKIP vote in the North and look where it came from.

5 years of Tories and Labour ending up with reduced majorities in many Northern seats
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also doesn't have a good voting record.
  • Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this talk of UKIP being a big threat... are we forgetting something??

We are having a referendum in 2017 on Europe. UKIP will be finished as a party once that happens as there will be no where else for them to go. What will they have left to sell after that?

UKIP aren't a threat to anyone anymore. 2015 was their big chance and they blew it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah metropolitan London..

And one interview? when Boris was an MP in the 00s they used to keep him away from the cameras!

If London is metropolitan how come "far right" Boris manage to win it.

Your contradicting yourself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must say. I find it fascinating just how concerned about Labour the Tory fanbois on here are. I'm come to the conclusion who ever they dislike is the one Labour need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I must say. I find it fascinating just how concerned about Labour the Tory fanbois on here are. I'm come to the conclusion who ever they dislike is the one Labour need.

Whoever it is, I hope it is not signalling the return of Neil Kinnock! He's scummier than a scumster living in Scumville.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

I disliked Ed very much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever it is, I hope it is not signalling the return of Neil Kinnock! He's scummier than a scumster living in Scumville.

Well we had Kinnock reincarnated via Miliband. I don't even think Labour are capable of repeating the same mistake for a 3rd time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disliked Miliband .
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on Burnham. I would prefer Cooper over him but like you I hope its one of the 2010s. I think Tristram is my fave out of those in the running.

Ditto to the bit in bold but to be fair its only Tory supporters on here who keep going on about Labour's lost support in the north. I don't think they understand the Labour vote.

How many Labour seats up north were lost?

All but one in Scotland obviously. But what about the north of England?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I disliked Miliband .

This must mean that he is the right man for the job, with Kinnock as his number two.

That will proper annoy the Tory fanbois.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you all hated Ed Milband after he was chosen. I bet you all hated David Miliband when he was the fave to win the leadership election too ;)
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    If London is metropolitan how come "far right" Boris manage to win it.

Your contradicting yourself

My recollection is that Boris second election win as mayor wasn't a sweeping victory and the breakdown of votes by borough didn't bode well for any future tory London mayor given demographic change.

Who was Boris up against in 2012?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was Boris up against in 2012?

Ken Livingstone.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you all hated Ed Milband after he was chosen. I bet you all hated David Miliband when he was the fave to win the leadership election too ;)

Didn't rate Ed, rated David. Was I wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2012 mayoral election was incredibly close. Boris got in by a whisker.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,860
    Forum Member
    I can't see him doing well. If you didn't tell people he was Labour people would naturally conclude he's a Tory.

I would say that is very much to his advantage.

Thee is a saying - People like people like themselves. So while it maybe that once the die hard Labour support would have preferred a candidate with dirt under his nails and the sweat of honest labour around his blue collar, it may not appeal to the middle classes and floating voters.

The die hard Labour voter is no longer characterised in the way it once was and in any case the Labour faithful would vote for the Downing Street cat, if it were running on a Labour ticket. But its not them you need to appeal to, to get enough votes to get into office.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at @SentinelStaffs's Tweet: https://twitter.com/SentinelStaffs/status/597807236732321792?s=09

An interesting and intriguing development.

I have found him impressive so far but early days.

.... and he is better looking than Cameron so the right wing press will be stuffed when it comes to needless personal attacks.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see why the traditional working class vote would be OK with Cameron and Boris but not Tristram.
    And apparently OK with Farage, the son of a City of London stockbroker who went to a public school and later became a commodities trader in the City
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ken Livingstone.
    The 2012 mayoral election was incredibly close. Boris got in by a whisker.

Thanks both of you.
    Livingstone pushing his luck going for a third term is what I feel made the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And apparently OK with Farage, the son of a City of London stockbroker who went to a public school and later became a commodities trader in the City

Precisely. I actually think some people are insulting the intelligence of working class voters by parodying them based on a lot of half baked assumptions.