Options

loud annoying children in restaurants ..

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    louisa320 wrote: »
    Were you the "perfect" child then i take it? The one that never made a noise?

What did you expect the parents or manager to do "if" you had mentioned you wanted to eat your salad in peace? Do you think they would have gagged said children? You are rather patheitc!

Why can there be no happy medium between annoyingly noisy children and ones expected to eat in total silence?
    There's nothing 'rather pathetic' about someone expecting parents to keep a watchful eye on their children in a restaurant to ensure the noise doesn't rise to a level where it's annoying other people.
    There is, however, something 'rather rude' about parents who just shrug and decide that anyone who has a problem with their children needs to get over it, put up with it, get a life etc etc.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,024
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Because "the lady" or "the man" represents the authority of the establishment in the psychological warfare we have with our children in order to have them behave and not cause other adults to become incensed with outrage at the ruin of their "dining experience"

We don't really expect you to tell them off. You'd get chinned if you did, you know that. :D

That's what I mean though, it gets my hopes up! Child is running around my table for 45 minutes with parent just saying "stop doing that" without actually stopping child from doing it and then looks at me and says "that lady will tell you off" and as much as I want to say "yes you little shit go and sit down and shut up or the next time you run around my table I'll trip you over" I'm never ever allowed to :(
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can there be no happy medium between annoyingly noisy children and ones expected to eat in total silence?
    There's nothing 'rather pathetic' about someone expecting parents to keep a watchful eye on their children in a restaurant to ensure the noise doesn't rise to a level where it's annoying other people.
    There is, however, something 'rather rude' about parents who just shrug and decide that anyone who has a problem with their children needs to get over it, put up with it, get a life etc etc.

I agree.

When I take my children to restaurants they stay seated at the table and they take part in the conversation. They're not allowed to run around or shout and scream.

I don't think it's 'rather pathetic' of me to want other parents to make their children do the same.
  • Options
    louisa320louisa320 Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member

Children just like the rest of us are programmed to talk, and make noise! It's nothing to do with the parents keeping a watchful eye on the kids... You can't shut up a child fact! If you don't want noise from others including kids, go live on top of a mountain away from it all.. Problem solved!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    That's what I mean though, it gets my hopes up! Child is running around my table for 45 minutes with parent just saying "stop doing that" without actually stopping child from doing it and then looks at me and says "that lady will tell you off" and as much as I want to say "yes you little shit go and sit down and shut up or the next time you run around my table I'll trip you over" I'm never ever allowed to :(

Believe me, we'd sometimes like to say / do the same things to our kids when they're embarrassing us, but that's when the tuts about the kids become tuts about the parents, and mutterings about "social services"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Children just like the rest of us are programmed to talk, and make noise! It's nothing to do with the parents keeping a watchful eye on the kids... You can't shut up a child fact! If you don't want noise from others including kids, go live on top of a mountain away from it all.. Problem solved!

There is a difference between children talking and making unnecessary noise. It is a matter of parents keeping an eye on their kids and telling them, when the noise is above a level that is unacceptable for every poor soul who has to sit and listen to its whining.

It's funny, you say there is no way to shut up a child but my brother manages to have all of my nephews sat at a table and not screaming and if they do, they take them out. Not with a rifle as I'd prefer but they still remove them from the situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find remarkable is parents who don't clean up after their children, this as a worker of a chain coffee shop.

They throw food on the floor or wrappers, always finding crisps, muffin wrappers and food crushed into the carpet or muffins scattered everywhere tbh
  • Options
    Forum Member

Strangely, an awful lot of parents do manage to keep noise at their table down to a level where people at adjacent tables can still hold a conversation, without putting a muzzle on their child and forbidding them to talk at all.

And some parents even take a child outside if it's getting tantrummy or over excited and shrill, in order to let him/her calm down and avoid disturbing other diners.

And equally strangely, people who object to very very loud children in restaurants aren't people who want to go and live on top of a mountain so that they won't have to list to any noise from children.

And even stranger, a lot of people who object to incredibly noisy children in restaurants have children themselves and are used to kiddy noise, but know when enough is enough in a public, shared space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PC brigade believe it is the right of every child to be able to scream freely in any restaurant. When it comes to kids, Islam and feminism I am afraid they make the rules.
    Believe me, we'd sometimes like to say / do the same things to our kids when they're embarrassing us, but that's when the tuts about the kids become tuts about the parents, and mutterings about "social services"

This is true the evil eyes you get and judgement for disciplining your child by other people are astonishing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'd agree there are two extremes, people complain about kids but then would complain about the adult. If we're ever in the same area eating food and you tell your kids off (if they are noisy of course), I'll buy you a drink of your choice as a thank you from my ears!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were you the "perfect" child then i take it? The one that never made a noise?

What did you expect the parents or manager to do "if" you had mentioned you wanted to eat your salad in peace? Do you think they would have gagged said children? You are rather patheitc!

I don't think the OP was expecting the children to sit in utter silence, just keep the noise to a tolerable level. I've been in places where you literally are unable to have a conversation with the person opposite and the little darlings are running up and down almost knocking staff or customers carrying plates of hot food or hot drinks over which is unsafe. It's not "pathetic" to expect parents to teach children appropriate behaviour when in certain places and to have a bit of consideration for others.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    Yes, it is. If you peace and quiet eat at home. It really is that simple.

Assuming you meant "If you WANT peace and quiet, eat at home", your statement must qualify as one of the most stupid ones I've seen on DS.
    I think that it's YOU that is simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a difference between children talking and making unnecessary noise. It is a matter of parents keeping an eye on their kids and telling them, when the noise is above a level that is unacceptable for every poor soul who has to sit and listen to its whining.

It's funny, you say there is no way to shut up a child but my brother manages to have all of my nephews sat at a table and not screaming and if they do, they take them out. Not with a rifle as I'd prefer but they still remove them from the situation.

Your brother is rather amazing then :D. You sound like a freak saying you would rather take them out with a rifle though! Be careful with your choice of words. Not very mature of you to say that is it now???

I am not a parent, and have no problem eating out knowing that kids will be there and of course it will be noisy at times. But that is my choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your brother is rather amazing then :D. You sound like a freak saying you would rather take them out with a rifle though! Be careful with your choice of words. Not very mature of you to say that is it now???

I am not a parent, and have no problem eating out knowing that kids will be there and of course it will be noisy at times. But that is my choice.

He sounds like a normal considerate person. It's a sad world if a father showing his children how to behave properly in a public place is now considered 'amazing' rather than a good father.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I think some people just become oblivious to it. A friend of ours made us laugh because he mentioned how he hates going out for meals to his previously favourite place, with his wofe and son because they are always sat in the "baby bit".

This particular restaurant is quite large and open planned, but there is an area specifically for families with small children where they are seated.

He moans because they never enjoy a meal because there are always kids screaming and running up and down so they dont go there anymore. On a meal out somewhere else, there was one child screaming, shouting and throwing things. Of course he was totally oblivious to it because it was his son!

Maybe the parents of the kids just dont realise how disruptive they are because they are used to that behaviour at home?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I think some people just become oblivious to it. A friend of ours made us laugh because he mentioned how he hates going out for meals to his previously favourite place, with his wofe and son because they are always sat in the "baby bit".

This particular restaurant is quite large and open planned, but there is an area specifically for families with small children where they are seated.

He moans because they never enjoy a meal because there are always kids screaming and running up and down so they dont go there anymore. On a meal out somewhere else, there was one child screaming, shouting and throwing things. Of course he was totally oblivious to it because it was his son!

Maybe the parents of the kids just dont realise how disruptive they are because they are used to that behaviour at home?

That method he was using is to just ignore the child it works, pay no attention to the tantrum. nothing worse than when someone gives my child a treat to be quiet if she is playing up because I won't allow her to have a sweet. It just tells her that if she plays up in a shop someone will give her what she wants regardless if I say no or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, some parents just become immune to the noise their children make and don't realise they're driving everyone else mad. But that's where restaurant managers need to step in and say something. It is unfair to inflict an unreasonable level of noise and discomfort on customers who are paying to enjoy a meal on your premises.

The restaurants need to take some responsibility in these situations instead of just looking the other way whilst still taking money from paying customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Amazing because he expects his children to not disrupt other people when they are trying to eat? If you say so. Not very mature to call somebody a freak either but it didn't stop you did it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That method he was using is to just ignore the child it works, pay no attention to the tantrum. nothing worse than when someone gives my child a treat to be quiet if she is playing up because I won't allow her to have a sweet. It just tells her that if she plays up in a shop someone will give her what she wants regardless if I say no or not.

Yes, but a restaurant where other people are trying to enjoy a meal or a family celebration is not the appropriate place to teach your child that tantrums will be ignored.
    In those situations, she should be taken outside.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't have to give them a bribe to be quiet nor do you have to ignore them while they're having a massive kick off and disrupting everyone else. Taking them outside until they calm down and give them a firm talking to would surely be more appropriate in a case like this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strangely, an awful lot of parents do manage to keep noise at their table down to a level where people at adjacent tables can still hold a conversation, without putting a muzzle on their child and forbidding them to talk at all.

And some parents even take a child outside if it's getting tantrummy or over excited and shrill, in order to let him/her calm down and avoid disturbing other diners.

And equally strangely, people who object to very very loud children in restaurants aren't people who want to go and live on top of a mountain so that they won't have to list to any noise from children.

And even stranger, a lot of people who object to incredibly noisy children in restaurants have children themselves and are used to kiddy noise, but know when enough is enough in a public, shared space.

Hmm rather strange :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amazing because he expects his children to not disrupt other people when they are trying to eat? If you say so. Not very mature to call somebody a freak either but it didn't stop you did it?

No it didn't! But then i didn't say i would want to use a rifle did i????
    Not a good choice of words as i said... Maybe you should think before you type!

And the "amazing" was sarcasm incase you really hadn't noticed
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katywil wrote: »
    its lazy parenting . and its a british thing. ive been on cross channel ferries about 6 times in the last few years.it was very noticeable that the only children who were running around screaming, were British. French children were sitting quietly

I doubtless will make enemies of the entire nation when I agree with this.
    I have been to a couple of weddings in France, in one, at a sit-down meal, there were a couple of tables set up in the centre of the room, surrounded by the other tables.
    These centre tables were solely for the children, they sat there, talking to one another in normal tones, eating their food, casting big eyes at the desserts in store, occasionally catching the eye of Maman, or Papa, and quietly asking for something.
    When the meal was over, the tables cleared away, the music started, the girls danced with each other while the boys just stood around, or begged for a sip of their parents wine.
    There was no hurtling around the room, sliding and screaming, although it was obvious they were all enjoying themselves.
    At the other wedding, it was a buffet, the children joined in the line and helped themselves, or if they were quite small, Maman filled their plates.
    Same deal, no screaming or running around, any kid that looked as if he/she was ready to buck the trend was turned to stone by a look from one of their parents.
    Maybe it's not always like that, for all I know weddings were being turned into mini riots by kids elsewhere in France.
    The thing is, the running and screaming is virtually de rigeur in the U.K.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it didn't! But then i didn't say i would want to use a rifle did i????
    Not a good choice of words as i said... Maybe you should think before you type!

And the "amazing" was sarcasm incase you really hadn't noticed

I did think before I type. I thought about which gun would be most effective.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I doubtless will make enemies of the entire nation when I agree with this.
    I have been to a couple of weddings in France, in one, at a sit-down meal, there were a couple of tables set up in the centre of the room, surrounded by the other tables.
    These centre tables were solely for the children, they sat there, talking to one another in normal tones, eating their food, casting big eyes at the desserts in store, occasionally catching the eye of Maman, or Papa, and quietly asking for something.
    When the meal was over, the tables cleared away, the music started, the girls danced with each other while the boys just stood around, or begged for a sip of their parents wine.
    There was no hurtling around the room, sliding and screaming, although it was obvious they were all enjoying themselves.
    At the other wedding, it was a buffet, the children joined in the line and helped themselves, or if they were quite small, Maman filled their plates.
    Same deal, no screaming or running around, any kid that looked as if he/she was ready to buck the trend was turned to stone by a look from one of their parents.
    Maybe it's not always like that, for all I know weddings were being turned into mini riots by kids elsewhere in France.
    The thing is, the running and screaming is virtually de rigeur in the U.K.

My non-British husband still doesn't understand why British children scream so much. And I have never been able to explain either. I think unless you have spent time among other cultures/nationalities you don't necessarily think there is any difference as all you know is the screaming thing.