Options

Will the SNP do the right thing and vote to help keep the fox hunting ban?

Comments

• Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You can't just pick and choose a reason to break that promise when it suits."

Why not?

Oh maybe something to do with principles. SNP have had a position on not voting on matters that don't affect Scotland in the past and have now changed their mind.
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I agree. I feel ashamed of my party tonight. I suspected this would happen if we won many seats in Westminster.
    I would always rather they did they right, decent, moral, humane thing and let the chips fall where they may. Especially on something as disgusting as fox hunting. Sitting it out for tactical advantage would have been amoral and that's not the party I support.

If EVEL is imposed out of spite, so bet it. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

If you are truly ashamed of the SNP for voting on this important issue in this current political climate you should send back your membership card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Oh maybe something to do with principles. SNP have had a position on not voting on matters that don't affect Scotland in the past and have now changed their mind.

Times change, things change. Many people in Scotland find fox hunting abhorrent and we share a land border with England. Our wildlife is at risk if this ban is repealed. And all that against a backdrop where 533 non Scottish MPs refused to allow a single amendment from the SNP into the Scotland bill and where the Scottish Affairs Committee contains 7 English MPs to Scotland's 4.
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You can't just pick and choose a reason to break that promise when it suits."

Why not?

Because it completely undermines said promise.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But the facts have changed. Why can't policy change?
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    The SNP need to make it very clear that this reform (sic) is not the same as the Scottish anti-hunting law, which the government have claimed it is.
    MartinP wrote: »
    You can't just pick and choose a reason to break that promise when it suits
    Governments do that all the time - this government have already broken several promises since the election
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The SNP need to make it very clear that this reform (sic) is not the same as the Scottish anti-hunting law, which the government have claimed it is.

Nobody will buy that anyway. And the Scottish law is itself to be looked at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody will buy that anyway. And the Scottish law is itself to be looked at.
    Given people have bought that the Budget was progressive even though many people will be far worse off I can't see how people won't buy it especially with compliant media
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    massive public pressure has played a big part in the decision to vote on the bill, what public wants the public will get if a party listens
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Given people have bought that the Budget was progressive even though many people will be far worse off I can't see how people won't buy it especially with compliant media

I don't know anyone who thinks the Budget was progressive.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A political party changes its principles. Not really anything new.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Former fox hunter exposes full scale of bloodsport's barbarity as David Cameron seeks its return.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/former-fox-hunter-exposes-full-6054986
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Former fox hunter exposes full scale of bloodsport's barbarity as David Cameron seeks its return.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/former-fox-hunter-exposes-full-6054986

David Cameron will come to wish he had never bothered with this.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would always rather they did they right, decent, moral, humane thing and let the chips fall where they may. Especially on something as disgusting as fox hunting. Sitting it out for tactical advantage would have been amoral and that's not the party I support.

If EVEL is imposed out of spite, so bet it. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

If you are truly ashamed of the SNP for voting on this important issue in this current political climate you should send back your membership card.

I have friends and family living down south who will be more more affected by attempts at privatising their NHS and cutting back their services to the bone. Voting against that is "the right thing to do". It always has been. Now I know that we appear to value cute little foxes over people and use that to ditch a principle we hold. Brilliant.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I have friends and family living down south who will be more more affected by attempts at privatising their NHS and cutting back their services to the bone. Voting against that is "the right thing to do". It always has been. Now I know that we appear to value cute little foxes over people and use that to ditch a principle we hold. Brilliant.:D

It's time to start voting on everything. Times have changed. The convention which the SNP put in place was done out of principle and out of respect to England and Wales.

That respect has been rewarded with interference in Scotland's political affairs to a shocking degree and the recent watering down of the Vow and the refusal of all amendments to the Scotland bill more than justifies a change of policy.
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scottish foxes may have family living in England, as foxes do not recognize borders. This brings the real possibility that a Scottish fox may be visiting family in England and get caught up in the sick slaughter being carried out south of its den, nightmare.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scottish foxes may have family living in England, as foxes do not recognize borders. This brings the real possibility that a Scottish fox may be visiting family in England and get caught up in the sick slaughter being carried out south of its den, nightmare.:cool:

Someone posted elsewhere that English foxes may flee and take refuge in Scottish henhouses. This would be an unintended barnyard consequential.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes a strong case for EVEL, now the SNP have ditched their principles.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If your next door neighbour is torturing animals in the back garden, do you ignore it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know anyone who thinks the Budget was progressive.
    IDS, Tory MPs, the Tory shills on this forum, there were plenty who were saying how wonderful the Budget was - even after the IFS sunk it below the waterline.
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member

During the GE the SNP made it quite clear that they would use their votes to help the Labour Party govern if there was a hung parliament so they had already moved from their previous position
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone posted elsewhere that English foxes may flee and take refuge in Scottish henhouses. This would be an unintended barnyard consequential.

The other part of the barnyard formula of course is the extra revenue foxhunting generates for Scotland which will be lost if England gets equality ;-)
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    During the GE the SNP made it quite clear that they would use their votes to help the Labour Party govern if there was a hung parliament so they had already moved from their previous position

Not really if they only propped up the Labour party on non devolved matters. The argument against EVEL depended on the SNP keeping their word and not voting on English only matters.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be horrifying if every single Tory now voted the same way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really if they only propped up the Labour party on non devolved matters. The argument against EVEL depended on the SNP keeping their word and not voting on English only matters.

Labour weren't going to seek to implement EVEL. It's a (blue) Tory policy.