Options

Golf 2015

Comments

• Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Tiger carded a 13 over 85 at the memorial today (his worst round ever as a pro)

Juts saw the 'highlights' on SSN:o

He's last and as there is an odd number in the field. he will be going out first on his own

Never thought I'd see that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One shot covering the top 9 going into the final round of the US Seniors Open

The leaderboard is like a who's who of most of my fav golfers from the last decade.
    Langer and Maggert are one shot clear of a group of 7 including Tom Watson,Monty,Kenny Perry and Fred Funk.

Maybe I'm getting old(er) but I prefer watching this lot than the current crop
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read a few reports yesterday that Tiger hit all 9 fairways and greens in the Greenbrier Pro-Am.

First round proper today and shot 66 with 7 birdies.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://instagram.com/p/4ylZoer2LI/

"rorymcilroy

Total rupture of left ATFL (ankle ligament) and associated joint capsule damage in a soccer kickabout with friends on Saturday. Continuing to assess extent of injury and treatment plan day by day. Rehab already started..... Working hard to get back as soon as I can."

Serious injury for Rory. It's not just about if he can hit a ball or not.. golf by it's very nature involves a lot of walking around too. Not ruling himself out of the open but I think that's very optimistic.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    https://instagram.com/p/4ylZoer2LI/

"rorymcilroy

Total rupture of left ATFL (ankle ligament) and associated joint capsule damage in a soccer kickabout with friends on Saturday. Continuing to assess extent of injury and treatment plan day by day. Rehab already started..... Working hard to get back as soon as I can."

Serious injury for Rory. It's not just about if he can hit a ball or not.. golf by it's very nature involves a lot of walking around too. Not ruling himself out of the open but I think that's very optimistic.

would say its more than optimistic to think he will be fit next week

even the USPGA might be a stretch with an injury like that
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He deserves everything he gets for playing "soccer". Amazing how Americanised he has become in a few short years ...:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to start the defence of his Open Championship, WGC Bridgestone Invitational and US PGA titles and he's playing football. :D Up there with Martin Kaymer's foot injury in a go karting accident when leading the Race to Dubai a few years ago.

I see Poulter, Rose and plenty of others have been relaxing in the Royal Box at Wimbledon, maybe that's what Rory should have been doing instead.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    crofter wrote: »
    He deserves everything he gets for playing "soccer". Amazing how Americanised he has become in a few short years ...:p

It was actually the English[members of Corinthians FC to be exact]who invented the term Soccer as an abbreviation of Association Football.

3-6 weeks maybe longer with that type of injury, maybe safe to say he won't be playing in The Open.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least we will get a break from the ridiculous hype.

Hazel Irvine will be distraught though
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »

I was listening in exasperation to this news.

Having played loads of football in years past, I understand its' attraction.

But not if you are a top professional in another sport.

Don't these guys like McIlroy and all the county cricketers who insist on warming up by playing football know that it is the worst sport for unexpected random movements on your joints and muscles to react to the ball and control it with the concurrent risk of injury?

Ian Bell missed an ODI because of football warm-ups and others have been injured too.

How on earth do the coaches working with these players allow it?

Ian Carter on 5Live was spouting some line about McIlroy's wider view of his golf and his ongoing commitment to do 'normal' things which had always been part of his approach.

So does he go out on Friday nights in the middle of tournaments and get drunk like many normal young people do?

There was also the argument that these sportsmen have to find different ways of getting fit because of possible boredom.

I wonder if the Yates brothers, taking part right now in their first Tour de France take time off from their hill climb training routines in Spain and play a few games of football in midfield where they will have to do lots of running in order to get their heart rates up?

Normality? Boredom? Do me favour. If you are playing at the top table and you want to be the best, make every sacrifice needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daft thing for Rory to do. Will he be (match) fit for the Ryder Cup ?

As already mentioned, these types of injuries take a lot longer to heal 100% properly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read a few reports yesterday that Tiger hit all 9 fairways and greens in the Greenbrier Pro-Am.

First round proper today and shot 66 with 7 birdies.

Tiger finished on 7 under 'only' 7 behind the winner so hopefully he's sorting out his issues
    With Rory out, guess we'll get even more Tiger coverage/hype next week
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Daft thing for Rory to do. Will he be (match) fit for the Ryder Cup ?

As already mentioned, these types of injuries take a lot longer to heal 100% properly

Should be as the Ryder Cup is next year. Frustrating as it is but BBC reporter going way OTT describing it as a major blow[no pun intended] that Rory McIlroy probably be out of The Open, with plenty of other good Golfers taking part. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/33407631
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think pretty much everyone who heard about Rory's injury knew there was no way he was playing. It's gonna be months before he'll recover. A shame but these thing happen in life.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame that Rory's out of The Open. :( Hope he gets well soon.

Anyone here going to The Open? I'm going on the final day! Can't wait!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that Rory's out of The Open. :( Hope he gets well soon.

Anyone here going to The Open? I'm going on the final day! Can't wait!

I'll be there on Wednesday, prefer going on the practice days at the open.

Will be at the BMW in September and then my favourite event, the Dunhill Links
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jordan Speith was positioned lower than 100th during his first round as he recovered from +2 to finish the round with a 71 even par. He then shot a 64 (-7) on Friday and has just eagled the par 5 17th to go -9 for his third round to take the lead at -16!

Unbelievable!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdied the last hole as well to finish -10 (61) for his round!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    Birdied the last hole as well to finish -10 (61) for his round!
    clarky323 wrote: »
    Jordan Speith was positioned lower than 100th during his first round as he recovered from +2 to finish the round with a 71 even par. He then shot a 64 (-7) on Friday and has just eagled the par 5 17th to go -9 for his third round to take the lead at -16!

Unbelievable!

Just saw the report on SSN. Some fantastic shots

Certainly playing with lots of confidence as well
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We just using this same thread for the open.

Two bets so far

Luke Donald 80/1

charl Schwartzel 100/1:o

I'm on roll I had a pound each way on Marc warren in the Scottish open 66/1:p
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said before players are virtually handing Spieth title after title even when he isn't playing anywhere near his best he seems to get the job done. His mental toughness to bounce back after a bad shot is brilliant and he always seems to follow a poor shot with a great one which is the mark of a champion and the complete opposite of Rory.

If Spieth wins this week he will be the new number one ...

Interestingly in a break from normal procedure Tiger has a decent interview on the bbc website right now - I wonder if this is the new Tiger or it points to where his game currently is at present.

If Tiger can compete again then St. Andrews is the course he will do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speith obviously the favourite but I'm not sure he'll win to be honest, new surroundings for him and all that.

Have a feeling Tiger might just play well actually, he knows this course very well of course.

Bubba Watson looks a good bet at 35/1. The course could suit a long hitter.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    Is there any daily highlights coverage on BBC this weekend? Apart from anything else will be engrossed following the cricket in real time so would just like a one hour round up at the end of the day / start of the next day then switch attention to follow live or as live the last nine holes of Sunday afternoon. Would watching the last hour or so of the live coverage suffice to include recaps of the days' action?
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best sporting event of the year for me.

I've gone in with my biggest ever squad, probably of similar value as backing Speith by himself. Corals were giving huge odds for the last few weeks, particularly before Rory pulled out. A great offer by Ladbrokes at the moment - any bet (up to £25) in the singles market is refunded if your player fails to make the cut.

Scott 25/1
    Stenson 28/1
    Kaymer 45/1
    Casey 50/1
    Westwood 90/1
    Furyk 90/1

Snedeker 50/1 EW
    Wiesberger 80/1 EW

I'm hoping half + make the cut, and 1 maybe 2 in contention by Sunday.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Is there any daily highlights coverage on BBC this weekend? Apart from anything else will be engrossed following the cricket in real time so would just like a one hour round up at the end of the day / start of the next day then switch attention to follow live or as live the last nine holes of Sunday afternoon. Would watching the last hour or so of the live coverage suffice to include recaps of the days' action?

Just the live action I think. Maybe scattered highlights on the website maybe?