Why is it so cold ?

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    Today's the first day in so long it's dipped below 20 here

But 20 is poor for summer temperatures. Whenever it's 20-22, they always say it's below average for the time of year.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm normally a hot blooded person and today even I felt the chill in the air. Last 2 summers have been fairly decent, this year I think is going to be pitiful. St Swithins day was raining in the morning then glorious sunshine so far our weather here was been just that!
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    But 20 is poor for summer temperatures. Whenever it's 20-22, they always say it's below average for the time of year.

Must depend where in the country you are. I'm originally from Cornwall, anything over 15 there and everyone's in summer mode, 20 there is considered a heatwave to many.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,032
    Forum Member

Depends where you are in the country. It's bang on the average for England as a whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must depend where in the country you are. I'm originally from Cornwall, anything over 15 there and everyone's in summer mode, 20 there is considered a heatwave to many.

I'm a Londoner now in Kent. It's got to be at least 23-24 before we consider it halfway decent. Mind you, there is a small window of acceptability as many start moaning when it gets to about 28
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit there is a woman I see each morning who wears the same coat regardless of the weather. The few hot days we had, she was wearing said coat when the rest of us were in t shirts. But I've also seen her when it's in minus figures and snowing with the same light coat when we're all in gloves and boots.
    Have to say that, apart from those few hot days though, I've not really seen anyone dressed for summer this year. It's like we're all resigned to summer passing us by this year

Oh I'm wearing my cropped jeans, cool weather be damned :D I'm just putting deck shoes and a sweatshirt with it rather than a cotton t-shirt or tunic :D Socks when I'm sitting at home on the puter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends where you are in the country. It's bang on the average for England as a whole.

I was watching something recently and they did say the average daytime temperature for London in July/August is 23 so that would definitely mean it's below average at the moment.
    Tbh, the lack of sun makes it seem worse as well. If might not be particularly cold but it's overcast so seems miserable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a Londoner now in Kent. It's got to be at least 23-24 before we consider it halfway decent. Mind you, there is a small window of acceptability as many start moaning when it gets to about 28

I have noticed that. Londoners must feel the cold more, anyone else in the UK would consider 20 as hot or fairly warm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was watching something recently and they did say the average daytime temperature for London in July/August is 23 so that would definitely mean it's below average at the moment.
    Tbh, the lack of sun makes it seem worse as well. If might not be particularly cold but it's overcast so seems miserable

The average will be just that, it will take into account all those days a few weeks ago when it was well over 23C.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some interesting stats on the Met Office page which show that this summer hasn't been the disaster that some people seem to be making out.
  • Options
    Forum Member

For which it has been around or above that temperature for most of the summer in london.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that. Londoners must feel the cold more, anyone else in the UK would consider 20 as hot or fairly warm.

London has its own climate and is generally warmer than everywhere else in the UK, including the surrounding Home Counties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some interesting stats on the Met Office page which show that this summer hasn't been the disaster that some people seem to be making out.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking this. People seem to forget how bad summers like 2007 was, now that was a disaster.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member

Statistics can prove anything. It is cold and raining in Cheshire today. Good weather is for the few. The rest of us get Global Warming. ;-)
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that cold where I am, in N. Ireland - comfortable in short-sleeves - bit cooler today than it has been but not too bad.

It's the sudden rain showers that's getting on my wick.

I want to paint the fence. One minute it's dry and sun is out so I go to get started when the skies open. Again. >:(

On, off, wet, dry, blue sky, grey skies. If it were a wet day or a dry day I would know what to be at but this all seasons in one day is a nuisance.

Should have painted it on one of those gloriously sunny days we had last week but gloriously sunny days are so rare I just wanted to sunbathe and read. Kicking self now, looking out at my tatty fence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Statistics can prove anything. It is cold and raining in Cheshire today. Good weather is for the few. The rest of us get Global Warming. ;-)

They prove that this summer has been almost exactly average with higher than normal levels of sunshine. That's what they prove.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They prove that this summer has been almost exactly average with higher than normal levels of sunshine. That's what they prove.

You can shove your stats. It was a lousy spring, and it's been a lousy summer.

We don't often get great summers, but I think this one has been very dull and dreary. Strong winds, grey skies etc. far too often.
  • Options
    Forum Member

We don't often get great summers, but I think this one has been very dull and dreary. Strong winds, grey skies etc. far too often.

Yeah, what are stats anyway? Just actual evidence of what's happened. I prefer your opinion.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rugby posts are back up on a school playing field near me, where just a couple of weeks ago there was a cricket square and running track.

As a lover of autumn and winter, this is a wonderful sight, even though I have no interest in rugby!. Why people like summer so much is a complete mystery to me. September can't come soon enough. :)
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who do I complain to? There's no sunshine the weather is crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member

May wasn't very good, June was slightly cooler than normal but sunnier and drier than normal as well. April was the sunniest April since 1929 and warmer and drier than average as well.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

met office, barbecue summer

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH
  • Options
    Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not, youre mistaken we have a Mediterranean climate now the met office and al gore say so

its because of CO2 levels increasing leading to man made global warming

97% of scientists agree

do keep up

Yes, rare old piss-poor job we're doing of man-made global warming right now.

No doubt a good blast from the Serengeti in weeks to come will cheer up the doom mongers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    met office, barbecue summer

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH

Not quite sure what that's meant to mean but thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, what are stats anyway? Just actual evidence of what's happened. I prefer your opinion.

If you want to believe dismal. grey days are evidence of a nice summer, because you have some stats, please enjoy yourself.

I prefer to gauge things on what is actually outside.