Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,421
    Forum Member
    Today, I came across a couple of interesting and relevant online articles:

Why Microsoft Announced Windows 10 Is 'The Last Version Of Windows'
    The simplistic response is: No. Windows is not going anywhere. What is now clearly and undeniably changing, however, is how Microsoft will brand, develop, update and expect us to pay for Windows after Windows 10.

'Free' Windows 10 Has High Cost To Windows 7 And Windows 8 Users
    Yes, Windows 10 will be the last numbered version of the OS and going forward it will simply become a ‘Windows’ subscription service. This upsets those who don’t like the idea of a subscription service, but the biggest concern is this: while Windows 10 will seamlessly upgrade to ‘Windows’ – this is a new beginning. Your OS would evolve into a new product for which you have to pay.

From those articles, it looks like users will be effectively charged for the equivalent of major service packs and there is the distinct possibility of being on the receiving end of assorted marketing opportunities (nagware).
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I have a different analogy for you: Imagine you can customise the dashboard and controls on your car. People can now make their car unique, with indicators, screen wipers and lighting controls any way they want. Handbrake on the ceiling? No problem. This is all great until you get a new car, or drive someone else's car. You don't know where any of the controls are any more.

My point? It's actually easier to leave things as they are. It saves having to constantly fight with the interface. Who knows; maybe the UI designer actually came up with some good ideas!

Humans are by nature creative people and so will put things where they want, not where someone else dictates.

I'm not changing absolutely everything, just setting it up as I like it and beating it into submission.

Over-all I quite like it so far and it seems to either already have the drivers for everything already or will accept ones not labelled as being for Windows 10 (Something you had to fight in other windows versions)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today, I came across a couple of interesting and relevant online articles:

Why Microsoft Announced Windows 10 Is 'The Last Version Of Windows'
    The simplistic response is: No. Windows is not going anywhere. What is now clearly and undeniably changing, however, is how Microsoft will brand, develop, update and expect us to pay for Windows after Windows 10.

'Free' Windows 10 Has High Cost To Windows 7 And Windows 8 Users
    Yes, Windows 10 will be the last numbered version of the OS and going forward it will simply become a ‘Windows’ subscription service. This upsets those who don’t like the idea of a subscription service, but the biggest concern is this: while Windows 10 will seamlessly upgrade to ‘Windows’ – this is a new beginning. Your OS would evolve into a new product for which you have to pay.

From those articles, it looks like users will be effectively charged for the equivalent of major service packs and there is the distinct possibility of being on the receiving end of assorted marketing opportunities (nagware).

...and then some bright spark will get around all of that! :D
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, to the extent that if I suddenly need a new PC I'll go out of my way to find one that has that version installed.

Which is going to become very difficult, even in the short term - considering Windows 7 is currently 2 versions out of date, soon to be three.

There may be the possibility of downgrading from 10 to 8 or 7 legally, but at that point you might want to see if you can get used to 10 instead of making things more difficult later on
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and then some bright spark will get around all of that! :D

Goes all Patrick Stewart and says "make it so" while pulling down the uniform and sipping some Earl Grey muttering something about the ncc1701-"E" would be my guess ;)
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youngsters don't laugh so hard when you tell them that they should have backed up all their stuff and not broken their computer or whatever 5 minutes after getting it

The ones I help, at my own schedule's convenience, will also show due respect and gratitude and grovel and do chores for a suitable period aftwerwards

Not just younger folk, lots of older folk don't back up either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I'm not referring to the 10240 tech preview

But one of your screenshots shows that that is exactly what build you are running.
    - I got the RTM (release to manufacturers) version that was provided by MS to technet people. It's the same effectively, but doesn't expire.

I'd say its exactly the same. Running winver and slmgr on my machine shows the exact same details as your screenshots. And mine won't expire either as I upgraded to the preview from a fully licensed 8.1 installation.
    I don't even want W10, I just liked the challenge of getting it before the 29th. A bit like illicit sex, illegal drugs or after hours drink - forbidden fruit tastes the best.

Well, all you needed to do was install the Insider preview before MS made the ISOs unavailable :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Manage to get a theme that isn't white on light grey - UGG My eyes can't see one folder on top of another with the defeat colours - Now I have a defined top border to things.

Got DVBViewer running with my Sat cards, so that a major obstacle sorted.

It is slowly succumbing to my will! (evil laugh here)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long until Windows 10 now, Microsoft need about a million backup servers for this :D
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long until Windows 10 now, Microsoft need about a million backup servers for this :D

Isn't that the whole point of the Insider Program?

All our machines are now part of the MS Botnet for onward peer-peer distribution of the upgrade.

Did you really think you were getting shiny new Windows for Free?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't that the whole point of the Insider Program?

All our machines are now part of the MS Botnet for onward peer-peer distribution of the upgrade.

Did you really think you were getting shiny new Windows for Free?

Remind me to switch back to Windows 7 on the 29th just to be a rebel! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remind me to switch back to Windows 7 on the 29th just to be a rebel! :D

find a dos 1.0 copy and boot it up if you really fancy showing it to the man ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    find a dos 1.0 copy and boot it up if you really fancy showing it to the man ;)

Best get out my still working ZX81 as that has no internet connection at all!
  • Options
    JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I was wondering what edition of Windows 10 i'll probably get for free, turns out as a current Windows 8.1 Pro user, i'll get Windows 10 Pro. It's a like for like upgrade, so for example if you are using Windows 7 up to Home Premium, you'll get the Home Edition. Anything higher, Pro.

I remember getting Windows 7 Home Premium for £50 on my way home from work years ago. Couldn't believe the price, thought it was a mistake. But it was right. And a few years later, got a Windows 8 Pro Product Key for £25 direct from Microsoft as part of their reduced price upgrade offer. So Windows 10 Pro for free, can't fault it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So at what time on 29th is it likely to start?

And with Windows 10's autoupdate it is hard to tell when it is updating. It only seems to tell you when it's all over.

"Windows has installed new updates"
    "Has it? I didn't know you was doing that"
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only version of Windows 10 that is worth getting anyway is the one that cost money, The Enterprise version that has features such as choosing your own updates. As home don't get a choice and Pro gets everything forced in 6 months. Hey ho but you get a silly so called new internet browser called Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer 12 which noone will use.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only version of Windows 10 that is worth getting anyway is the one that cost money, The Enterprise version that has features such as choosing your own updates. As home don't get a choice and Pro gets everything forced in 6 months. Hey ho but you get a silly so called new internet browser called Microsoft Edge/Internet Explorer 12 which noone will use.
    The Enterprise version wouldn't work outside a corporate environment with a KMS server without some hacking.

Updates are a good thing, I don't see people complain about them. And saying 'no-one' will use Edge is a bit dramatic. There are enough of us who use IE11 and are quite happy with it, thanks.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So at what time on 29th is it likely to start?

These lucky, lucky people should be the first https://www.google.com/search?q=line+islands+kiribati+time&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

But who knows? Seattle time may apply
    The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can't just get the enterprise version off the shelf, theres normally a software assurance or some other licensing deal involved and isn't designed for the average home user deployment
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10 apparantly gets a major feature revamp spring 2016 so that is the one where the 'should I keep it decision' 30 day trial starts for me.
    However they have pencilled in a major feature update autumn 2016. That is past the 'no going back' 30 day trial years window so the best hope there is for a bit of minor bloat.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems

As expected!

"Last week Microsoft confirmed every Windows 10 update will mandatory and installed automatically. This was met with a hostile reception from Forbes readers with over 100 comments on my news article voicing their concern. And now some of those fears have been realised…

With just four days left before launch, Windows 10’s policy of automatic updates has run into its first major problem and it is causing many PCs to stop working correctly."
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only version of Windows 10 that is worth getting anyway is the one that cost money, The Enterprise version that has features such as choosing your own updates. As home don't get a choice and Pro gets everything forced in 6 months.

You'll get more like 12 months initially with Pro and then roughly every 8 months after that.

You can't get Enterprise as an individual so by your preference you need to stick on Win 7 or 8.1 until end of support. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Something may be in the pipeline for blocking those forced updates.
    Not sure if the below is the best solution yet though, as it has flaws.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-windows-updates-hide-show-windows-10-a.html
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems

As expected!

"Last week Microsoft confirmed every Windows 10 update will mandatory and installed automatically. This was met with a hostile reception from Forbes readers with over 100 comments on my news article voicing their concern. And now some of those fears have been realised…

With just four days left before launch, Windows 10’s policy of automatic updates has run into its first major problem and it is causing many PCs to stop working correctly."
    I don't think people have a problem with their OS getting updates (it's for your own good, security wise), but what people don't like is when they are installed.

Personally, I'be never had a problem with automatic updates; the PC warns me it wants to update, and I can delay it. I'm sure some people ignore the warning and then wonder why their PC reboots. The other issue it the long delay on the next boot when the updates are applied. Again, I choose to reboot when it suits me. People may not know they don't have to fully shut down and restart their PC every day - that's what Sleep is for.

I know I keep going on about it, but; if users stopped fighting the way that Windows is designed to work and just adapted their behaviour slightly, there wouldn't be so many gripes.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This post was typed and sent in Microsoft Edge.

It's not bad so far but only has Google and Digital Spy remembered so far. Will have to add all my usual places soon.