Options

Cilla Black has died

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Apart from anything else if she really was that unpleasant she would never have lasted the time that she did in the business (40 years +). Any slurs on your character and your career in showbiz can grind to a halt pretty quickly.

Lol...what a load of guff.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,027
    Forum Member
    Of course. I mean, look at Jimmy Savile.
    He was a man. They got an easier ride in those days.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few close friends who work in the TV industry who had dealings with her over the years. Not one good thing to say about her. She was notorious for her...well, unpleasantness.

It is ridiculous to whitewash someone's personality merely because they have passed away. If the internet existed when Hitler died, I get the feeling that some people here would be posting "RIP Hitler :(".
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Still nothing on the BBC website. I'm a bit shocked as I tend to rely on the BBC for news. I might have to sign up to Twitter if they are this slow. :blush:

Trouble with Twitter is that it tends to "kill off" people before they've actually gone, LOL!:D
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    He was a man. They got an easier ride in those days.

Oh I dunno. Kids can be quite small.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    The BBC should be covering Cilla's death on at least 3 channels as they did with Mandella.
    Yep, Cilla did so much for uncivil rights.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC should be covering Cilla's death on at least 3 channels as they did with Mandella.

Probably gone to Buck Palace to get HM The Queen's official Address to the Nation.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    LBC have had Lionel Blair on.

Oh, well that has it sealed. RIP, Cilla.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP dear Cilla.

I have never heard of anyone with a bad thing to say about her. Lovely woman by all accounts.
  • Options
    Glitter03Glitter03 Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Apart from anything else if she really was that unpleasant she would never have lasted the time that she did in the business (40 years +). Any slurs on your character and your career in showbiz can grind to a halt pretty quickly.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Cilla but i have to disagree with this! Plenty of unpleasant people have lasted many years in the industry. I think Jimmy Saville is probably the best example?! Not that i am comparing Jimmy and Cilla before anyone jumps on that.
  • Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense about bbc being closed on sunday. Police have spoken to a Reuters reporter and her family havent confirmed it or any other confirmation from anyone has taken place.

Im sure its true but have no issue with bbc wanting more
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what they'll rustle up for a tribute programme.

ITV Encore has the Sheridan Smith thing coming up soon, so whether ITV main channel can pull rank on that, it's doubtful.

Other than that, they have that entertainment programme shown in the last couple of years.

Dunno whether a Blind Date / Surprise Surprise compilation would be suitable.

(Really left field would be her ATV stuff from the mid 70's which I think Network has released on DVD!)

To my knowledge, the Beeb have that Wogan interview from the early 80's, which led to her getting Blind Date in the first place.

Is it easy for the Beeb to get rights to make a compilation of her late 60's / early 70's Saturday night shows?
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,444
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    I have a few close friends who work in the TV industry who had dealings with her over the years. Not one good thing to say about her. She was notorious for her...well, unpleasantness.

It is ridiculous to whitewash someone's personality merely because they have passed away. If the internet existed when Hitler died, I get the feeling that some people here would be posting "RIP Hitler :(".

I think it's very unfair to compare a man responsible for so many deaths to an entertainer who allegedly had a reputation for being unpleasant.

Personally I do not think people are necessarily trying to "whitewash" things, but rather take a moment of respect for her friends and family, not to mention the fact that Cilla, whatever you felt about her, was a part of UK entertainment history and brought joy to many people.

It is just decent manners to keep your thoughts to yourself immediately after someone you dislike dies. That's all.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    RIP dear Cilla.

I have never heard of anyone with a bad thing to say about her. Lovely woman by all accounts.

I've heard nothing but bad stuff about her!

Feel sorry for her family but personally I couldnt stand her.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard nothing but bad stuff about her!

Feel sorry for her family but personally I couldnt stand her.

And personally did you have any dealings with her?
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    ianlawn wrote: »
    Nonsense about bbc being closed on sunday. Police have spoken to a Reuters reporter and her family havent confirmed it or any other confirmation from anyone has taken place.

Im sure its true but have no issue with bbc wanting more
    Judgeing by paul o'grady reaction it sounds like he has not been phoned by anyone but news reporters so I wonder if all her family yet know. As they were close friends he be one of the first the family would let know.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »

Have you just compared Cilla Black to Hitler?!?

Even if she was "unpleasant" to work with.. god forbid.. why go into a thread about her death to talk about it? It's as people are dancing on her not yet filled grave. She's wasn't a child molester. She was just a former TV presenter who was likely a bit of a diva. So what? The woman has died. At least show some decency and leave the finger pointing for another time.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I think it's very unfair to compare a man responsible for so many deaths to an entertainer who allegedly had a reputation for being unpleasant.

Personally I do not think people are necessarily trying to "whitewash" things, but rather take a moment of respect for her friends and family, not to mention the fact that Cilla, whatever you felt about her, was a part of UK entertainment history and brought joy to many people.

It is just decent manners to keep your thoughts to yourself immediately after someone you dislike dies. That's all.

Exactly. It's fine if people want to think differently of her than many others do but now is not the time.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so strange that I was just watching the Sheridan Smith Cilla drama again last night on itv, just a coincidence of course but still quite weird
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Have the Tory cuts begun? No funding for updates on Sunday afternoons? It's a poor effort.

RIP Cilla.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news. Surprised BBC not reported it yet. What they waiting for? Confirmation from FCO?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on BBC News now.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    We once had a long discussion on this. I don't think foreign news outlets will see why they should hold back. TMZ has made its name on releasing celeb news early but with high confidence.

Very true. If memory serves me right weren't the foreign news outlets reporting Diana's death before the British media? And look at how much media has changed in the almost 18 years since.

I think it will depend how much the palace can manage the news and the circumstances of the Queen's passing. (In some respect Diana was different as she was no longer officially a royal and her death happened on an open road.)

BTW - 2pm BBC News Channel has Cilla as the leading story.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on BBC' s teletext news now.