Options

The Soham Murders

Comments

• Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Really, after all this time. That isn't on at all.

Are there parents alive still?

This.

Well I'd have thought so. It wasn't that long ago - I expect they're in their fifties. How long ago do you think it happened?
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'd have thought so. It wasn't that long ago - I expect they're in their fifties. How long ago do you think it happened?

Being smart?

Sadly some parents find it hard to cope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Being smart?

Sadly some parents find it hard to cope.

I'm not being smart at all. Both sets of parents had other children as well - they had to carry on. What did you think they'd do?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxine Carr was duped by Huntley. She loved him and had no idea what sort of monster he was. She made the mistake of lying for him - as soon as it was apparent he had murdered those girls she co operated fully with the Police.

The newspapers have done a wonderful job in demonising her. She was several hundred miles away when the murders took place.

She has paid a dreadful price for believing and lying for the man she loved.

Exactly the newspapers wanted another Hindley and Brady. This was the closest they had got in years so built it up. Thanks to the papers at least a dozen innocent women have had their lives wrecked as they have been mistaken for her and been attacked and ostracised.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    The bird had an attempted suicide attempt at the time, I remember the hospital near her prison being blocked by reporters
    I still think Maxine Carr got off lightly.
    I disagree completely. I think she was just another of his victims. I attach no blame to her whatsoever and I hope that she's managed to find some kind of a normal life for herself.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    Oh Lord. Here comes the patronising comments.

It's no more than you deserve, to be fair.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call Ian Hunter a serial killer actually

And there's me thinking all he did was prance about on stage with Mott the Hoople.
  • Options
    Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxine Carr was duped by Huntley. She loved him and had no idea what sort of monster he was. She made the mistake of lying for him - as soon as it was apparent he had murdered those girls she co operated fully with the Police.

The newspapers have done a wonderful job in demonising her. She was several hundred miles away when the murders took place.

She has paid a dreadful price for believing and lying for the man she loved.

Good post and I agree. You could say she's a victim of Huntley's too.

It's refreshing to see so many posts actually taking a step back and looking at the facts of what she actually did as opposed to blindly jumping on the media hype train that was so quick to demonise her.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxine Carr lied to protect a murderer and she only "repented" when caught in her lies. However, she is no Myra hindley. Hindley was a sex murderer not merely a girlfriend who covered for one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really wish I had a pound for every time I've argued/debated this topic.

Some of the attitudes still never cease to surprise me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was disgusting the way the tabloids tried to make Maxine Carr the most hated woman in Britain. Everyone knows that it was very wrong of her to lie for Huntley, but there was no way she deserved all that hate. Totally over the top.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Good post and I agree. You could say she's a victim of Huntley's too.

It's refreshing to see so many posts actually taking a step back and looking at the facts of what she actually did as opposed to blindly jumping on the media hype train that was so quick to demonise her.

Along with many others I followed the Soham murders trial very closely back in 2003; the Court transcripts were broadcast live on TV.

Maxine Car was given three-and-a-half years for conspiring to pervert the course of justice but cleared of two counts of assisting an offender.

However, I really believe one should not denigrate the very significant part played by Maxine Carr during the aftermath of Huntleys actions.

During her trial the court heard that after her arrest, she admitted she’d been lying throughout the fortnight since the girls disappeared.

The murdered children’s cause (and time) of death was never fully established due to the state of the corpses;.... Asphyxia was cited as the 'likely cause'.

There was even mention at the time that one of the children may possibly have been still alive when Huntley left their ‘bound’ bodies hidden in undergrowth. Days later he returned to burn the ‘evidence’.

Had it been shown (which it wasn’t by the way) that one, or both, of the children may have been alive for a few days after their abduction/disposal then Maxine Carr’s duplicity and lies would certainly have had far more significance.

In his 2003 trial Ian Huntley pleaded not-guilty to the two murders but was eventually found guilty by a ‘majority verdict’.

The jury was initially ‘hung’ because some brain-dead numpty juror (that’s a legal term by the way) chose to believe Huntleys incredulous version of the events of that dreadful crime;......several years later Huntley admitted to the murder of both children.

The evil monster that is Ian Huntley was given a life sentence. Maxine Carr was given 3.5 years;......was she just another ‘victim’ of the whole episode?......not in my opinion she wasn’t.

Whether Maxine Carr ever knew, or even suspected, that Huntley had abducted and killed those children was never established. Opinions vary on that score.

However, she most certainly was (unwittingly or otherwise), a willing and duplicitous player in one of the most heinous crimes in living memory and for that she fully deserved her time in prison, IMHO;

............ whether her sentence was too lenient (or too harsh) will always be a moot point, I guess.

P.S. she actually served 21-months in jail;.... which included 16-months on remand.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there's me thinking all he did was prance about on stage with Mott the Hoople.
    It was only a matter of time before someone pointed out the typo I made at 2am in the morning.
    Well done you .. here's a peanut :)
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think it was disgusting the way the tabloids tried to make Maxine Carr the most hated woman in Britain. Everyone knows that it was very wrong of her to lie for Huntley, but there was no way she deserved all that hate. Totally over the top.

She didn't just supply him with a false alibi (and if she genuinely thought he was innocent, why do that ?) she also bleached the house clean, along with bed sheets and clothing......... Maxine Carr knew much more than what she was charged with. she got off very, very lightly. She should never have been given a new identity either>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish I had a pound for every time I've argued/debated this topic.

Some of the attitudes still never cease to surprise me.

Sigh..................... what makes your opinion so superior to one who disagrees with you then.............................?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    She didn't just supply him with a false alibi (and if she genuinely thought he was innocent, why do that ?) she also bleached the house clean, along with bed sheets and clothing......... Maxine Carr knew much more than what she was charged with. she got off very, very lightly. She should never have been given a new identity either>:(

Why, so tabloid-reading vigilantes could kill her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sigh..................... what makes your opinion so superior to one who disagrees with you then.............................?

Did I say it was? I was simply saying that this topic has been done to death over the years. If you feel inferior that's your problem - I wasn't implying that my opinion was superior.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe that for a minute.

Good thing no one cares what you believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Penny Crayon;79162031]Did I say it was? I was simply saying that this topic has been done to death over the years. If you feel inferior that's your problem - I wasn't implying that my opinion was superior.[/QUOTE]

Your dig at people's attitudes which differ from your own was a bit of a give away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Why, so tabloid-reading vigilantes could kill her?

No, so tabloid vigilantes would not attack someone else they believed to be her. Anyway, Tracey Connely was not given a new identity (rightly so) and swans around town without incident.
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I say it was? I was simply saying that this topic has been done to death over the years. If you feel inferior that's your problem - I wasn't implying that my opinion was superior.
    Your dig at people's attitudes which differ from your own was a bit of a give away.

Sorry Penny but your attitude has stunk throughout this thread for no reason. Sarcastic and belittling. I am glad someone else has noticed.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing no one cares what you believe.

Obviously. Which is why you replied.
    You don't seem to grasp shat a discuss forum is about.

I don't see Maxine Carr as a victim of Huntly. That's my view and you can disagree all you want but you could disagree in a less sneery manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She wouldn't have needed one if the tabloids hadn't have tried to make her the most hated woman in Britain. If you're angry because of that, then direct your anger at the tabloids for their disgusting hate campaign towards her back then. As for the underlined bit, that sounds like something someone would say when they're gossiping between friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, so tabloid vigilantes would not attack someone else they believed to be her. Anyway, Tracey Connely was not given a new identity (rightly so) and swans around town without incident.

Well, that's because she wasn't involved in a case where two kids were killed.