Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    Your spot on, the adverts and news do get played into the studio as well however the presenter usually would be talking to there producer either via talkback or the producer will come into the studio. As you say the person who has to keep a listen out is the person driving the desk.

The presenters do hear the adverts, the feed that is played into the studio and headphones is an off air feed pre delay (Usually 97.3 Pre Delay) so adverts, news and travel is all heard. As you say LBC adverts are split so they will hear one set.

As you say the timings have to be the same on all stations, this is relatively easy on LBC as the station is only split 3 ways max where as something like the Heart Network is split on a massive scale in comparison. On the log for person driving the desk it will say something like SLAVE BREAK XX:15 - 2:00 when this command is played the play out system splits the feeds and starts the split advert players in the racks room.

To make timings correct as you say filler adverts are used, these are sometimes promos for different shows, company owned businesses or sometimes when adverts are sold as a deal breaker that will tell the company they will put them down for filler adverts as well meaning potentially a bit more airtime for the buyer.

Okay, so although the ads/traffic etc comes through on their headphones they can still elect not to listen if they need to and converse in the background.

I'm guessing they still need to be careful doing this in order to avoid missing their next cue ins etc.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Why do they need to Jingle saying " This is LBC with John Stapleton in for Ian Dale on Drive ......?" when he could have a set jingle for himself. It's the same when Ian is on Breakfast?
    The breakfast show and Drive show have different Jingles to the other shows. The breakfast and drive jingles say "Nick Ferrari at Breakfast" and "Iain Dale at Drive". When John sits in for JOB or Andrew Pierce he will have the jingle they use on most shows which is the "John Stapleton on LBC" jingle.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    National Station talking about housing rent in London and homeless in London on drive today????

Essentially it is still a London station that's heard nationally. Or take it off DAB and Freeview.
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed Nick Ferrari at Breakfast this morning, Nick talking to the hair lice woman was a very funny conversation. Also, I laughed out loud when Nick said "Dean thinks we shouldn't give anyone benefits at all. Have they let him out for a couple of days or is he having a laugh? Let's find out which".

I can't understand the criticism of Ferrari. He has the best breakfast show on the radio!
  • Options
    Shirley-HeightsShirley-Heights Posts: 7,296
    Forum Member
    So much for all the speculation on what presenters do during the ad breaks, I just assumed they went to the loo, had a drink and grabbed a quick bite. In fact I'm sure I have heard NF finishing his bacon butty after the 8am news/travel/advert break
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't understand the criticism of Ferrari. He has the best breakfast show on the radio!
    I'm guessing you haven't listened to Iain Lee?
    Also, I laughed out loud when Nick said "Dean thinks we shouldn't give anyone benefits at all. Have they let him out for a couple of days or is he having a laugh? Let's find out which".
    I heard that and it made me laugh too but, I didn't listen to Nick at all today. :confused:
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The breakfast show and Drive show have different Jingles to the other shows. The breakfast and drive jingles say "Nick Ferrari at Breakfast" and "Iain Dale at Drive". When John sits in for JOB or Andrew Pierce he will have the jingle they use on most shows which is the "John Stapleton on LBC" jingle.

Yes, they are the two flagship programmes on the station and they are presumably trying to maintain their 'identity'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommy2tee wrote: »

On Zoopla the current valuation of the O'Brien house is £1,205,908 (info in public domain)

You have his address then ?
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    That will please him:D

The trouble is Vallen criticises those who in many respects are more popular and successful (in their own way) than he is. He is just a radio jock or presenter who's stayed where he is for much of his sad old life.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    I'm guessing they still need to be careful doing this in order to avoid missing their next cue ins etc.

After the breaks (ads and news) there is always an id (for the presenter) jingle, so that is all they need listen for.
    So much for all the speculation on what presenters do during the ad breaks, I just assumed they went to the loo, had a drink and grabbed a quick bite. In fact I'm sure I have heard NF finishing his bacon butty after the 8am news/travel/advert break
    they may also use the time to make a quick 'call of nature' !
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the breaks (ads and news) there is always an id (for the presenter) jingle, so that is all they need listen for.

I went on Steve Allen's show in 1988 and remember that he got a 30-sec cue before coming out of a break. So it's clearly changed since then.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Nick Abbott drives the desk on his shows with the jingles and ads etc as Ive heard him talking about cueing it up before. I think that was the old studios, as they have been upgraded recently. I don't know about the rest as the tech guys do. Check out the LBC button pusher as he's called on Twitter.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommy2tee wrote: »
    Mike is perfectly capable of defending himself but for the record I am most definitely on his side.

On Zoopla the current valuation of the O'Brien house is £1,205,908 (info in public domain) Now I would regard that as being a posh area based on the definition of the word itself
    Lol! You saved me the trouble. Absolutely farcical claim
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing you haven't listened to Iain Lee?

I heard that and it made me laugh too but, I didn't listen to Nick at all today. :confused:

My apologies. It was George Galloway who said that, not Nick Ferrari. :blush:

The thing that did make me laugh out loud on Nick's show today was his reaction to the 'build a new Abu Dhabi in the middle of the Saudi Arabian desert to house the illegal immigrants" callers. "We need a detention here. 20 lines of 'I must not waste Nick's time'":D:D:D
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed Nick Ferrari at Breakfast this morning, Nick talking to the hair lice woman was a very funny conversation. Also, I laughed out loud when Nick said "Dean thinks we shouldn't give anyone benefits at all. Have they let him out for a couple of days or is he having a laugh? Let's find out which".

Loony lefties who are incapable of separating his skills as a presenter from his political tendencies?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Lol! You saved me the trouble. Absolutely farcical claim

You never heard of 192.com? His address is in the public domain, as is everyone else who is on the electoral roll.
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Clive is now starting at 7pm. I know it was planned, but I thought they were waiting until September when Iain Dale got back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    I went on Steve Allen's show in 1988 and remember that he got a 30-sec cue before coming out of a break. So it's clearly changed since then.

No, I think they must still need some sort of alert or timed count down. It would be so easy to get distracted if you weren't paying attention. Some of those breaks can be up to six minutes or so with the news/travel/ads and a jingle or two all thrown in. Radiodad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by MartinRosen
    they may also use the time to make a quick 'call of nature' !

Or in Alison Bell's case she used to nip out for a cigarette. I remember her saying!
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    You never heard of 192.com? His address is in the public domain, as is everyone else who is on the electoral roll.
    Not quite. You have to pay 192.com to get those sort of details, and I've certainly no interest or intention in paying them anything just to find out where J'OB lives. I don't do stalking or spying. I'm not that desperate. <Rolls Eyes>
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, so have I, unfortunately. With that and Henk Potts catarrh, it's a bit much that time of morning.

After hearing Johnnie of Brixton ribbing NF about him being 59. Looked him up on Wiki, born 31st January 1959, so not far off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Not quite. You have to pay 192.com to get those sort of details, and I've certainly no interest or intention in paying them anything just to find out where J'OB lives. I don't do stalking or spying. I'm not that desperate. <Rolls Eyes>

Did I suggest you were?. I was simply countering your suggestion that it was a "farcical claim" for someone to know JOB's address when in face anyone can find it for the cost of a pint of lager. *eye roll*
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hello Shirl! I have definitely heard Ferrari chomping on a bacon roll but we've all heard the presenter before him breaking wind horribly and violently on air...

And I don't mean Lisa Aziz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello Shirl! I have definitely heard Ferrari chomping on a bacon roll but we've all heard the presenter before him breaking wind violently on air!
    Liza Aziz ought to be more professional! ;-)
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liza Aziz ought to be more professional! ;-)

Haha, great minds Connor! Amended my post and coincided with yours...
This discussion has been closed.