Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll struggle to make the CL places if we don't bring in a #9 before the window closes.

We have one in the shape of Hernandez, but he is just not "the chosen one", as Rooney seems to be.

I think a new striker would of course be beneficial for us, but I would like to see Hernandez start, I think this formation and style suits his game more than it does Rooney's.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can have the greatest striker in the world but you need to be playing the right way.

Rooney and Hernandez aren't idiots, they are good enough players to beat Newcastle and score against them but the build up lacks bite and a decisive touch, players are too happy to hold the ball and turn back rather than play the quick incisive ball that may lose possession but may also split a defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Nope, it was just one of those days. 9 times out of 10 we'd win a game like that, the amount of time we were able to push forward (first 15, last 20 minutes) shows improvement IMO.

Perfectly good goal disallowed (level), hit the post, a myriad of blocks from a solid Newcastle defence, just one of those days. Nothing has changed. And we are top of the league for the next 2 hours.

With another performance like that, we'll beat Brugge again.

Careful now, last time I mentioned being top after a game, I got a few comments about saying that! 😉

I can very well see what you mean,it is one of those days, and we did perform well in patches, it is just making those patches last longer, and taking a bigger percentage of the chances that we do create.

It is nice to say, roll on mid-week for some Champions League action!

Same team as today do we think?

Unlike with Sir Alex, I don't think LvG is fond of making too many changes (if any) if he can help it.

I would prefer to see Herrera given a chance through the middle though.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turgid, safety first shite. Newcastle defended well but we routinely look absolutely clueless when teams stick 10 behind the ball and we have to try and break them down. I never thought the day would come where we'd miss Fellaini, at least he'd get on the end of some of those crosses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can have the greatest striker in the world but you need to be playing the right way.

Rooney and Hernandez aren't idiots, they are good enough players to beat Newcastle and score against them but the build up lacks bite and a decisive touch, players are too happy to hold the ball and turn back rather than play the quick incisive ball that may lose possession but may also split a defence.

I think Schweinsteiger does as you suggest, and it is no wonder or surprise that we look a much improved team whenever he is on the pitch.
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Positives are few and far between but another clean sheet is something and we had a goal disallowed.

Carrick should've started, he was far more effective than either Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger.

I think we have too many centrally minded players who all want to occupy that type of area and we're losing width. Switch one of Mata, Januzaj or Memphis with Young and it would help.

Rooney would be benched if he were another player, he's been poor and wanders around like a headless chicken for large amounts of the match. As has been said a world class striker is a must.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think we would have won today if hernandez had started, he looks a lot sharper then rooney with his pace and movement and gets into goalscoring positions more often, the problem is rooney, like playing with 10 men with him in the team, how much longer is van gaal going to persist with him...

Don't see Hernandez as the answer, myself. Good option off the bench but we need someone better to lead the line from the start.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney has been playing professional senior level football for 13 years. And in any sport -- Basketball, boxing, MMA, baseball, etc. if you start young, you can very well fade young.

He's only 29 and maybe this is just a bad dip in form combined with a complete lack of a striking partnership, but that's just something to think about.

Good points.

What you have to remember is that he was basically a manchild at the age of about 18, already fully physically developed which is part of what made him so good at that age. It therefore stands to reason that he'll start to fade earlier than players who don't fully develop until their early twenties.

I don't think he's on a permanent decline just yet but don't be surprised if he does in the next 2/3 years. Throughout his career he's had these periods where he looks bloody awful, and as he gets older I wonder if they're becoming more prolonged.

We certainly need someone to challenge him up front. Hernandez is not that man, though he's useful to have around as an option.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see Hernandez as the answer, myself. Good option off the bench but we need someone better to lead the line from the start.

he's a much better option then rooney right now tho, if we are not going to buy a striker then hernandez needs to start...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is the best we have got in this formation I think, as for getting someone else in, that would be good, but that is getting harder and harder as the window gets closer to closing.
    At this stage I would take Ibra, or someone like that, if only to give us a bit of a boost in that area.

Neymar cannot come soon enough though! 😀 😉
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's a much better option then rooney right now tho, if we are not going to buy a striker then hernandez needs to start...

No new striker andwe're going to have many more days like this.

Struggle to get enthusiastic about Hernandez starting, he's rarely been good when starting games for us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The striker plays a significant part in that though - getting into dangerous positions, holding play up to bring others in and, most importantly, seizing on the slightest of chances and creating something from nothing. It's a striker who doesn't need it all laid on a plate for him that we need more than anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The striker plays a significant part in that though - getting into dangerous positions, holding play up to bring others in and, most importantly, seizing on the slightest of chances and creating something from nothing. It's a striker who doesn't need it all laid on a plate for him that we need more than anything.

Isn't what you describe what Hernandez is best at doing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

agreed, a top striker doesn't need chances fed on a silver platter for him to score goals, he can make things happen himself, lack of service is just an excuse for rooney's poor performances, and as you say a lone striker is not just there to score goals, he needs to hold the ball up and link with the other attacking players. rooney just doesn't bring anything to the table as a striker anymore, he doesn't have the strength or height to compete with centre backs and hold the ball up, he doesn't have the pace to make dangerous runs in behind the defence and his work rate has taken a nosedive, his touch and passing is also terrible these days.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turgid indeed. We did start very well and there didn't seem anything wrong with Rooney's disallowed goal. But we didn't build on it and make our attacks count in the end. No cutting edge up front. Our lack of goalscoring in the EPL is really starting to worry me now. We're going to end up drawing a lot of silly games if we dont find some form up front.

Also, I think it's time Herrera started playing. He was one of the reasons why we played good in the second half of the season last year, his linkup play with Mata was great (most notably against Liverpool). He can also get goals unlike our other midfielders, he offers something different. Give the guy a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swansea away next in the league, and that will be a very tough game indeed, that game does worry me, as they have looked good so far this season.

I think with his pace, Hernandez could be best starting in that game, and using the fast break to our advantage, although I doubt that we will change our keep ball tactics for any game under LvG.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    We need a poacher, a fox in the box. Someone whos game is to stay upfront at all times and not drop deep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    We need a poacher, a fox in the box. Someone whos game is to stay upfront at all times and not drop deep.

I am not quite sure who fits that description that we can get in the remaining time, which is troubling slightly, good thing then, it is not up to me then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »

we already have a fox in the box type striker in hernandez and wilson is also that type of player, we need a more rounded striker that can lead the line properly, hold the ball up, provide an aerial threat and link well with the other attacking players. we need a lewandowski, costa, cavani, kane type striker...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't what you describe what Hernandez is best at doing?

For the last third of game he can do some of those things well, yes.

He's not the player i described though. If he was he wouldn't have spent the majority of his career on the bench.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There really is a dearth of top-quality strikers these days. The few top strikers out there have already been snapped up by the big clubs across Europe. Everybody wants to play No10 or be the new Messi and Ronaldo nowadays.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Turgid indeed. We did start very well and there didn't seem anything wrong with Rooney's disallowed goal. But we didn't build on it and make our attacks count in the end. No cutting edge up front. Our lack of goalscoring in the EPL is really starting to worry me now. We're going to end up drawing a lot of silly games if we dont find some form up front.

Also, I think it's time Herrera started playing. He was one of the reasons why we played good in the second half of the season last year, his linkup play with Mata was great (most notably against Liverpool). He can also get goals unlike our other midfielders, he offers something different. Give the guy a chance.

Couldn't agree more, for me our best two offensive players put them in their correct positions and they should do damage.
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could Charlie Austin be worth a punt?
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    Could Charlie Austin be worth a punt?

Not a chance and he certainly couldn't play up front on his own.

Besides look at the stick Rooney is getting, Austin wouldn't have a hope!
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the most frustrating performances I've ever been to see.

I've not felt an atomsphere of frustration like that since the late Moyes days.

Rooney just seems to be a passenger. As he gets frustrated and we have absolutely no one in the box as he's inevitably dropped too deep. He needs a partner.

I thought we'd kick on when Hernandez came on - but at one point he was dropping deep too. Unbelievable.

Valencia comes on - expect to nip down the wing. No. He also pedestrianises it and cuts back in slowly

It's almost as if we're being told to constantly pass inward, short, slow and backward. Not to commit any men or take anyone on.

Even Depay seems to be stuck rigidly wide.

Scheiderlin's (sp) passing is awfully sloppy. Mata is slow. My morning piss is stronger on the ball than Januzaj.

Hererra would walk into any other side. Why isn't he in this one?

Incredibly frustrating. Another striker isn't going to solve anything.

I'm resigned to the fact that LVG has got us playing sleep inducing, numbers, clinical football. I hate this style of football. If this is the new basis for success, I'm not sold.

I'd rather go back to swashbuckling attacking and lose 3-2 than sit through another game of that.

A moan post I know, but christ I can't contain my frustration.
This discussion has been closed.