Options

Birmingham - why does it exist?

Comments

• Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Well, it has plenty to offer in the way of culture: theatres, museum, art galleries, an amazing library. It's our nearest big city, so we go there quite often. New Street station used to be dreadful but it will be hugely improved when the redevelopment is finished next month. They are even starting to catch up with Manchester with the introduction of city centre trams!

And as with so many things in the city the long delay in re-development was not down to the city fathers but external organisations, central government and Network Rail in the case of New Street, who despite New Street being the busiest station outside of London was put at the end of a long line of station re-developments.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    The Wedding Present? Cud?

I'll give you The Wedding Present. But... Cud? I'd be keeping a bit quiet about that one.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Electric shurely?

Auto-correct fail on my part :blush::blush:
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    It's not that bad. It does have Cadbury's world :D. We've only really stayed there for a few days so can't really comment on the whole lof Birmingham but it seems to have its good and bad areas like most Cities.
    The only place we were warned about was somewhere called springbook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    It's not that bad. It does have Cadbury's world :D. We've only really stayed there for a few days so can't really comment on the whole lof Birmingham but it seems to have its good and bad areas like most Cities.
    The only place we were warned about was somewhere called springbook.

That'd be Sparkbrook.

Some bloke on US telly said that its not safe to go there if you are white as its a strictly muslim only area of the city, he was shot down in flames and called a racist however people that actually know the place know he wasn't entirely incorrect in his assumptions. - but wont say anything for fear of being called a racist too.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    It's a bit strange-looking, but you can get used to it. I quite like it now. It is a shame that it's having to cut back so soon after it opened though.

There's plenty to see. Even if there wasn't, the millions that pass through each year still deserve a decent station!

Well it just shows what an incompetent council you guys have. I mean spending millions of pounds on a hideous building for it to then struggle to lend out books is laughable. It's on par with building Wembley Stadium for us to then showcase our English football mediocrity to the world :D
    _Ash_ wrote: »
    You don't like the design of the Bullring and the library...

Well there's always the Victorian architecture in Digbeth to explore. Plus the old Custard Factory, whilst now an outlet for many media companies has some fantastic surrounding areas.

...and we have the Digbeth Dining Club ;)

OK I'll give you the Bullring. It's a funny shaped building but I guess it's 'cute' in some way. There's no excuse for that 'library' though :D
    Oh dear, these threads do come up every so often don't they.

Would be interesting to know where the OP comes from though.

Much as I love Birmingham I know it does have issues however to say it has produced nothing/no one of note or has no purpose is obviously ridiculous. And the fact that the OP says multi-culturalism is a bad thing probably says a lot about how seriously his opinions should be taken.

Liverpool. A much smaller city than Birmingham and yet has made a far bigger impact on the world stage. Other than Ozzie Osbourne, who else is a famous Brummie? Adrian Chiles? lol!
    Andrue wrote: »
    Birmingham used to be the industrial power house of Britain. It is still a major contributor to the UK's economy so that's 'why it exists'. I worked there for over a year until very recently and I refute the idea that 'it is a dump'. There are areas to the east that are a bit run down but all cities have areas like that. The centre of Birmingham is clean, modern and I actually liked it. You can walk from the shopping district over to the recreation/conference district without needing to cross a road through mostly very pleasant pedestrian areas. The one blight on that journey (Paradise Forum) is currently being torn down and replaced with something that looks quite good.

Being a keen walker I spent my lunch hour exploring everywhere within a couple of miles of Brindleyplace and didn't find anywhere that was particularly bad, and several that were very pleasant. I also had a choice of several walks along canal paths that were mostly well maintained and well used.

As for the accent - you hardly ever hear the 'classic brummie' accent in the centre. It's too cosmopolitan for that. I've never really liked large cities and would rather live in a small rural town but I'd be prepared to live in Birmingham if I had to. I'd never even consider living in London.

The canals are pretty interesting. But the people who keep trying to compare the city to Venice aren't doing Birmingham a favour :D
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »

Liverpool. A much smaller city than Birmingham and yet has made a far bigger impact on the world stage. Other than Ozzie Osbourne, who else is a famous Brummie? Adrian Chiles? lol!

D

Explains it all then, a scouser who thinks he's better than everyone else just because of a couple of peaks in the 60's (music) and 80's (football)
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    It's an urban metropolis.

All such places are evil.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's plenty to see. Even if there wasn't, the millions that pass through each year still deserve a decent station!
    Yeah it was an unpleasant experience at 8am when arriving for work and not much better when going back home although at least you then had the working day behind you to lift your mood a bit :)

Thankfully as I was using the Chiltern line and working at Brindleyplace I could just stay on another stop. Snow Hill was a far more pleasant experience especially since I walked to/from Brindleyplace along the canal.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    That'd be Sparkbrook.

Some bloke on US telly said that its not safe to go there if you are white as its a strictly muslim only area of the city, he was shot down in flames and called a racist however people that actually know the place know he wasn't entirely incorrect in his assumptions. - but wont say anything for fear of being called a racist too.

If you are going to correct somebody then please try to get it right.>:(

The chap in question was Steven Emerson, a Fox News "terror commentator" and he called the whole of Birmingham a "Muslim-only city", no mention of Sparkbrook or any other area of the city. He was later forced to apologise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30773297
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah okay, fair cop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    If you are going to correct somebody then please try to get it right.>:(

The chap in question was Steven Emerson, a Fox News "terror commentator" and he called the whole of Birmingham a "Muslim-only city", no mention of Sparkbrook or any other area of the city. He was later forced to apologise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30773297

That guy's hilarious.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to Birmingham other than pass it on the M5/M6.

Sitting in the hour long queues a few months ago, I did start to wonder if Birmingham was in someway responsible for the North/South divide.
    If you got rid of Birmingham, the north/south would feel much more connected as you wouldn't have to travel through the Black Hole of Dispair to reach either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to Birmingham other than pass it on the M5/M6.

Sitting in the hour long queues a few months ago, I did start to wonder if Birmingham was in someway responsible for the North/South divide.
    If you got rid of Birmingham, the north/south would feel much more connected as you wouldn't have to travel through the Black Hole of Dispair to reach either.

BIB completely negates any comment you have about Birmingham. At least the OP claims to have visited.
  • Options
    _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Thankfully as I was using the Chiltern line and working at Brindleyplace I could just stay on another stop. Snow Hill was a far more pleasant experience especially since I walked to/from Brindleyplace along the canal.

Pedant alert ;)

Are you sure that wasn't Moor Street? I use the Chiltern daily to Birmingham and get off at Moor Street - one stop before Snow Hill. Not sure Chiltern go to New Street. Anyway Moor Street isn't too bad, far worse before it was re-developed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Ash_ wrote: »
    Pedant alert ;)

Are you sure that wasn't Moor Street? I use the Chiltern daily to Birmingham and get off at Moor Street - one stop before Snow Hill. Not sure Chiltern go to New Street. Anyway Moor Street isn't too bad, far worse before it was re-developed.

Was actually going to say the same thing!

Anyway, I like Moor Street much better than either of Birmingham's other main stations. I kind of has a retro look about it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I'd always thought of Birmingham as dreary and not somewhere I'd want to go, until I went there and really liked it. I tend to think it gets a bad press.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Was actually going to say the same thing!

Anyway, I like Moor Street much better than either of Birmingham's other main stations. I kind of has a retro look about it!

Anything is better than the old New Street station (I've never seen Moor Street). A hideous concrete jungle of a place that would often making you want to take a train back to where you came from.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB completely negates any comment you have about Birmingham. At least the OP claims to have visited.

How so?

You don't have to actually enter a black hole to observe the effects it has around it.
  • Options
    Peter_BlondePeter_Blonde Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Birmingham is a very important city for non-white citizens and the furtherment of their asian cultures into UK mainstream culture.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to actually enter a black hole to observe the effects it has around it.
    What effects do you see 'around Birmingham'?
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Birmingham is a very important city for non-white citizens and the furtherment of their asian cultures into UK mainstream culture.

A lot like Leeds then which is also grim .
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,857
    Forum Member
    Anything is better than the old New Street station (I've never seen Moor Street). A hideous concrete jungle of a place that would often making you want to take a train back to where you came from.

Most sensible thing you said all thread. Have great journey. Ta ra chuck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to suggest dropping a Nuke on Birmingham.

But someone's done it already by the looks of it :D

:p
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The canals are pretty interesting. But the people who keep trying to compare the city to Venice aren't doing Birmingham a favour :D

The comparison between Birmingham than Venice, is to do with the length of the canal network through the cities, it is often said Birmingham has more miles of canals than Venice, it is nothing to do with the architecture.

Which "old" New Street Station are you talking about? The original Victorian station or its replacement built in the 1960s in the name of "progress".

The original station looked like this: Birmingham New Street Station in Victorian times