Options

DWP: Death Figures Finally Released

Comments

• Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Sick and disabled people die every year along with thousands of others

Between 2008 and 2013 the annualised daily average death figure was 149 but this rose to 166 deaths per day for December and January. Similarly the annual reports of the registrar general for Northern Ireland show that the number of deaths during December and January is 10% higher than the annualised daily figure.

That's at most 365 x 166 = 60 590 deaths per year

Or in two years 121 280

There were 506,790 deaths registered in England and Wales in 2013, compared with 499,331 in 2012 (a rise of 1.5%).

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/death-reg-sum-tables/2013/sb-deaths-first-release--2013.html

If 2500 sick or disabled people died in two years after being classified fit for work they represent 0.021 % of the total number of deaths in a year and many of them might have died even if they had not been regarded as "fit for work"..

No, the figures released are people who died within a few weeks of being passed fit for work.
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If staff at the DWP had any backbone they would of surely called a mass strike in protest of allowing IDS to remain in government or at the very least, attempting to have him removed as leader of the department.
    After all, he's already blamed his staff for those fake adverts and said they will face disciplinary action. Yet he still remains. Crazy!
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    No, the figures released are people who died within a few weeks of being passed fit for work.
    But were claiming ESA at the time. They could have died BEFORE any "fit for work" decision was made or notification received. All they know is that within a particular 2 week period is 3 things, 1) they were claiming ESA, 2) they died, 3) a "fit for work" decision was made. They DO NOT know the order that 2 and 3 took place. Even if they died after a decision was made, they might not have yet received the decision letter. Is the suggestion being made that people are dropping dead just 1 or 2 days after receiving a "fit for work" decision notice?
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories have finally released the total - burying it under immigration figures - after 250,000 furious people signed a petition

More than 2,500 sick and disabled benefit claimants have died after being found 'fit for work' in just two years, shock figures reveal today.

2,650 people died after being found fit for work

Hold on.

Everyone in work has been passed fit for work by someone. Are you saying no one in work should ever die?

If not what are you saying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can you more be specific, how many is a few weeks.

Also in the past I've worked with people who had terminal cancer. Should they not have been allowed to work once they were diagnosed?

Is dying when still regularly attending your workplace not allowed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Was that a 2 year award from Sept 2013 taking you to Sept 2015? It is not accessing you medically. Apart from anything else, a medical diagnosis doesn't automatically indicate the existence of problems X, Y, and Z. The problems could be mild, non-existent or possibly worse.

No. It was a three year award, taking me up until Sept 2016, backdated from Sept 2013. After the stress of chasing my claim for a year, this came as a distinct relief. Now, however, they have completely reneged on the advice given, and I now face the prospect of the whole shooting match all over again, a year BEFORE I was originally told. I've had eleven months of relative peace, as opposed to the 36 it should have been. I received backdated PIP, but that immediately went on repaying the people who had helped us survive for the full twelve months the DWP kept me waiting,

It is no wonder that folk commit suicide, die of heart attacks etc when the government play so fast and loose with their own rules.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    How many people with the same criteria died under Labour? Why did nobody ask that before?

According to the mirror

Deaths among all benefits claimants fell from 0.82% under Labour to 0.72% under the Lib/Tories.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not really a scandal, everybody dies.

Hello IDS.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the figures buried away on the day immigration figures released, that is a surprise
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Hold on.

Everyone in work has been passed fit for work by someone.
    Are you saying no one in work should ever die?

Are you saying every working person has had a medical before they start work ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    According to the mirror

Deaths among all benefits claimants fell from 0.82% under Labour to 0.72% under the Lib/Tories.

That's good but this isn't about ALL benefits claimants it's about the benefits claimants who died AFTER being told they were fit for work.

If it is all above board then why did the DWP refuse to release the figures ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying every working person has had a medical before they start work ?

No I am not but they must have passed themselves as fit for work. That is surely a more reliable indication of a person's health than a 20 minute medical given by some doctor.

So how come people who think they are fit to work die?

Could it be many people die while still being fit for work?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love how the Tory supporters on here deny the figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Love how the Tory supporters on here deny the figures.

The figures need to be put into context.

Many people who feel they are perfectly healthy and are in work die. It happens.

No is to blame. You are born and a some point you will die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I am not but they must have passed themselves as fit for work. That is surely a more reliable indication of a person's health than a 20 minute medical given by some doctor.

So how come people who think they are fit to work die?

Could it be many people die while still being fit for work?
    Because they only think they are fit for work they don't know.

Surely you've heard about people dying "unexpectedly"
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These figures mean nothing. A person on this list may have been killed in a car crash or murdered (not be IDS) or hit by lightning or died of something totally unrelated to whatever condition they were claiming benefits for.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Can you more be specific, how many is a few weeks.

Also in the past I've worked with people who had terminal cancer. Should they not have been allowed to work once they were diagnosed?

Is dying when still regularly attending your workplace not allowed?

The choose to carry on working, were not told fit for work by the DWP and made to go to work or look for work, and threated with a punishment if they did not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These figures mean nothing. A person on this list may have been killed in a car crash or murdered (not be IDS) or hit by lightning or died of something totally unrelated to whatever condition they were claiming benefits for.

The fact that the DWP wouldn't release the figures until they were forced to indicates they obviously mean something.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that the DWP wouldn't release the figures until they were forced to indicates they obviously mean something.

What?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    What?

The DWP could have released these figures any time before hand but choose to fight though the legal system NOT to release the figures and kept trying not to release them
  • Options
    jkwellyjkwelly Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hold on.

Everyone in work has been passed fit for work by someone. Are you saying no one in work should ever die?

20+ years of work and i've never had anyone come and tell me i've been passed fit for work :D:D:D

Who would tell me i'm fit for work and when, would this be like once a week once a month once every six months or once a year :D
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    The DWP could have released these figures any time before hand but choose to fight though the legal system NOT to release the figures and kept trying not to release them

So that 'proves' that all those who died did so as a result of being found fit for work?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Over a two year period and I gave both the daily and annual rates.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    So that 'proves' that all those who died did so as a result of being found fit for work?

The question was why did the DWP decide to keep fighting and appealing the not wanting to release the figures. But were they fit for work that is the question ?