Options

Who is the most ruined soap character?

Comments

• Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with a lot of characters mentioned but I do think a lot can be turned around with the right writing.

When Dean first returned a lot of people felt he was a much improved character. I personally think he could have made a good anti-hero. Now he is a rapist he is pretty much irreparable. So imo he is the most ruined.

That said Alfie the arsonist and Jane the accessory to murder are sailing close to it.

Seems to be a theme with DTC.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe nobody has said Laurel off ED yet!!
  • Options
    DaktaraDaktara Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Can't believe nobody has said Laurel off ED yet!!

Blooming heck yes! :o The ultimate ruined (by association) character.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Charity Dingle

They have put her in The Chokey:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(>:(

That has improved the dreadful skank, no end.
  • Options
    Austin_PearceAustin_Pearce Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Sam Mitchell when Ms. Coke (Danniella Westbrook) returned in 2009.
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Platt
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madge
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Ross Barton.

It's the one that's bugging me most right now, because I used to absolutely love him! But this Debbie/Pete stuff that's going on and on and on and on and on and on is a total boreathon. His "revenge" against Pete is stupid - he already hurt him enough. All the old mannerisms are still there, oh he's so "funny" and "witty" and a ladies man, but he just seems hateful now.

I expect they can bring him round, somehow, sometime, but it shows how bad writing/storylining can kill a character off. Get off me screen, mate, I'd rather watch Pearl eat a sticky bun.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Beale.
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEIGHBOURS: Susan Kennedy - They have turned her into a real busy-body, know-it-all.

EASTENDERS: Charlie Cotton - Where is he? What happened to him? Started out being really different and interesting. Then it all changed when he had the affair with Roxy.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronnie and Stacey
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat Moon: a wonderful character in her initial 2000-05 stint; then returned in 2010 as a dreadful loudmouth bitch who went around slapping or sleeping with anything that had a pulse. The Shaggerman story is one of the worst EastEnders has ever done.

Sam Mitchell: really came into her own when Kim Medcalf was casted in the role. Sam was actually one of my favourite characters in 2004/05. Then they producers took the bizarre decision to re-recast Sam back to Daniella Westbrook, and the character returned as a blinged-up, orange-faced chav. Years of character development thrown out the window. Dreadful.

Ronnie Mitchell: Started off as an intriguing character who obviously had a dark past. Then the writers decided Ronnie should be defined purely by the endless tragedies that befall her, so she now just goes around stealing babies and murdering people. A total mess of a character.

Bianca Butcher: Actually a rather mature and sympathetic character by the time Patsy Palmer left in the late 90s. Then Bianca returned in 2008 and she had regressed by about 20 years. In fact, Bianca actually got stupider every year.

Sharon Watts The writers performed a hatchet-job on Sharon's character when she returned in 2012. It was like none of them had done any research, and clearly the writers that Kirkwood brought over from Hollyoaks had never actually watched EastEnders before 2006. Sharon went from a strong, confident, successful businesswoman, to a jealous, snobby, man-dependent mess overnight. They tried to turn her into Tanya. Thankfully a lot of this has been undone since DTC took the reins.
  • Options
    lexstarlexstar Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindsey and Kim Butterfield
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks
    John Paul
    Ste
    Nancy
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Beale
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to go with Ross Barton, when Ross first came in he was decent and really took off during his pairing with Donna, showing there was more to him than just fighting and stealing cars. However this pairing with Debbie has really dragged his character down, I even find myself rooting for Pete more these days. Also making him Chairty's baby daddy #3 was another character killing move. I think Ross might be the first soap character to be destroyed by the person who created the character.
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    Dean Wicks - I preferred him in his original stint when he was 'Deano'.

Sam Mitchell - Danniella Westbrook was a poor casting choice in the first place and I was disappointed when they brought her back after Kim Medcalf left. I think it ruined Kim's portrayal of Sam.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Kat Moon: a wonderful character in her initial 2000-05 stint; then returned in 2010 as a dreadful loudmouth bitch who went around slapping or sleeping with anything that had a pulse. The Shaggerman story is one of the worst EastEnders has ever done.

Sam Mitchell: really came into her own when Kim Medcalf was casted in the role. Sam was actually one of my favourite characters in 2004/05. Then they producers took the bizarre decision to re-recast Sam back to Daniella Westbrook, and the character returned as a blinged-up, orange-faced chav. Years of character development thrown out the window. Dreadful.

Ronnie Mitchell: Started off as an intriguing character who obviously had a dark past. Then the writers decided Ronnie should be defined purely by the endless tragedies that befall her, so she now just goes around stealing babies and murdering people. A total mess of a character.

Bianca Butcher: Actually a rather mature and sympathetic character by the time Patsy Palmer left in the late 90s. Then Bianca returned in 2008 and she had regressed by about 20 years. In fact, Bianca actually got stupider every year.

Sharon Watts The writers performed a hatchet-job on Sharon's character when she returned in 2012. It was like none of them had done any research, and clearly the writers that Kirkwood brought over from Hollyoaks had never actually watched EastEnders before 2006. Sharon went from a strong, confident, successful businesswoman, to a jealous, snobby, man-dependent mess overnight. They tried to turn her into Tanya. Thankfully a lot of this has been undone since DTC took the reins.

Spot on bass. Sharon and Kat was the most annoying for me as they were soap goddesses previously.

I'd add Charlie Cotton to the list.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to go with Ross Barton, when Ross first came in he was decent and really took off during his pairing with Donna, showing there was more to him than just fighting and stealing cars. However this pairing with Debbie has really dragged his character down, I even find myself rooting for Pete more these days. Also making him Chairty's baby daddy #3 was another character killing move. I think Ross might be the first soap character to be destroyed by the person who created the character.
    I also have to go with Ross Barton. He came in with such promise, but is now just a caricature of a baddie - steal a car, bash someone's head in, have sex, steal a car, bash someones head in.......... there is nothing else to his character. I hope Michael Parr's career will not be ruined by being cast in this ridiculous role. It would have been better if he had survived, but stayed low for a year, then brought back with a proper storyline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have to go with Ross Barton. He came in with such promise, but is now just a caricature of a baddie - steal a car, bash someone's head in, have sex, steal a car, bash someones head in.......... there is nothing else to his character. I hope Michael Parr's career will not be ruined by being cast in this ridiculous role. It would have been better if he had survived, but stayed low for a year, then brought back with a proper storyline.

I think the character can be saved, but he needs to get away from Debbie, and this is not an anti-Debbie rant, those two have no chemistry and the relationship has brought out the worst in both of them, but has really dragged Ross down. IDK what Kate Oates is thinking with this pairing, its the biggest mistake she's made at Emmerdale.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the character can be saved, but he needs to get away from Debbie, and this is not an anti-Debbie rant, those two have no chemistry and the relationship has brought out the worst in both of them, but has really dragged Ross down. IDK what Kate Oates is thinking with this pairing, its the biggest mistake she's made at Emmerdale.

I suspect that the pairing was thought up once Charley Webb needed an exit story, whilst I also don't particularly like their pairing, it's made Pete slightly more interesting and given him some purpose other than being a lackey for Debs.

I'm hopeful that the old Ross will return once Debbie flees the village and we can all forget this ever happened.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I suspect that the pairing was thought up once Charley Webb needed an exit story, whilst I also don't particularly like their pairing, it's made Pete slightly more interesting and given him some purpose other than being a lackey for Debs.

I'm hopeful that the old Ross will return once Debbie flees the village and we can all forget this ever happened.

The Debbie pairing was thought up long ago - they had Ross sniffing round her quite early, and it was as chemistry-free and soul-destroying then as it is now. They dumped it for Donna last summer. Then, HOORAYYY! , they brought it back, for some reason known only to themselves - ie, they didn't have anything else.

I suspect Charley's need for maternity leave came long after this whole thing was planned out. But it can't come soon enough. Ross is just so horrible and dull with her, and now he's horrible and dull with Pete as well. Bleurgh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »

I hope you're right about this pairing being over because I can't take much more of this. I also agree with you on Pete, he's much more interesting and I really do feel sorry for him, everyone is treating him like crap. I was glad to see Andy being nice to him the other day though.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ste Hay in Hollyoaks without a doubt. What on earth have they done to him?? Especially in the last year his character has been absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gail McIntyre for me. When you look back to the Richard Hillman era (2002-03) and even the later David drama's, Helen Worth put in a great performance and showed that she's a highly talented actress. Nowadays, Gail is in my opinion a pale imitation of the character she once was. The rubbish with the dire Michael and "love triangle" recently has led her on a downward spiral. Would Gail really see anything in Michael? Even so, there's no way she'd have wanted anything to do with him after he had taken up with Eileen. When she deliberately torched the pipes the other week so he'd have to help her, it just showed what a joke they've turned her into.

Charity Dingle is another example. She may have always been conniving and a gold digger, but I hate the route they took her in with the Home Farm insurance scam and blackmailing Rachel. Obviously Charity would want to extract revenge against the woman her husband had slept with, but would she really have gone that far? Especially implicating Sam. Now giving Charity another child is another pointless move imo, they seem to be making her appear to be an abysmal mother; by having her rejecting Moses. But Charity was shown to be a good mother to Noah on her return in 2009, and I liked the relationship between them.