Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    In case anyone has forgotten, which it seems you all have, the UK won't be taking any of the bottle-throwing refugees on mainland Europe so you needn't worry yourselves about it.
    Thanks now what's your opinion on those throwing food and water away?
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Give it a few years and once they settle in things will begin to change, there will more and more demands.

They should be thankful for what they have and that they aren't being barrelled bombed by Assad any more.

Yes, I must say that the overall message I get from the pictures on TV is a group of people who seem rather too interested in moving on from where they have landed and planning and executing their forward journey, rather than the "phew, happy to get out of that" attitude I would expect of genuine refugees from a regime where they face imminent death.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport1 wrote: »
    We aren't letting all the refugees in.

cameron will cave in and let them all in.
    plus yopu forget once you let one in they will settle and then bring all their extended family in so 1 become 10 then that 10 will bring in their extended family and soon its thousands there just because of 1 person.
  • Options
    SohoSoho Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    In case anyone has forgotten, which it seems you all have, the UK won't be taking any of the bottle-throwing refugees on mainland Europe so you needn't worry yourselves about it.

Shall we start with the £100 million donation today or the £1billion in the last year?

Or the 5000 migrants the PM Is giving passports to in the next 7 days, which comes with a re-settlement package of £43,500 per migrant.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all these illegals aver very cunning and will do anything to get into other countries. the child was either drowned on purpose to get the public on their side, but either way they are using that and the media to get sympathy.
    They are very cunning and devious and will do anything even the death of a child as death of 1 means 1000s can get in.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soho wrote: »
    Shall we start with the £100 million donation today or the £1billion in the last year?

Or the 5000 migrants the PM Is giving passports to in the next 7 days, which comes with a re-settlement package of £43,500 per migrant.

I'm not happy about my money being spent in this way.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there any word on where they will go?
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the UK are to take in the refugees, maybe we should send them to Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon is keen to take them knowing most will stay South of the boarder.
    I swear, I would be all-in to build a fence between Scotland and England if this was to happen. I would contribute a lot of money in kickstarter crowdfunded money to detach Scotland from England as a country. I would absolutely adore for Scotland to become a country and allow every man and his dog into the country just to prove a point.

Personally, being English, considering having been through so much together nationally, I would hate to see us disband. But come on you 45% Scots, we have been together for over 300 years its not like a single generation family argument, we became the greatest thing on the planet only taken over by the USA because of WW2.
    Scotland by itself... importing these people, WTF are you thinking seriously. I guess... what ever it takes to join the EU hu, shows strong confidence in self worth as a nation.

Don't forget, NATO is different to the EU and Eurozone, all are different.

I don't say this because of I feel England/Wales NEEDS Scotland, but because of we have a long and successful history together for over 300 years, no other country in the world currently can succeed us in that fact not even the US or Chinese. The SNP, like many English dominated politicians are just greedy, either financially or for namesakes.

If only we could bring back Winston, unify the Scottish and even the English people. Instead we have the likes of Blair and Cameron, typical politician softies. Yes they were softies, if they were proper leaders, who looked after their troops, then the geneva convention would have allowed us to win that war easily in Iraq and Aphganistan.

The English could say, screw the Welsh, they are utterly worthless to the English. But no, we are being "humane" to stick together. But then when we got the other "lefties" coming across as all "lets let in everyone and his dog no matter what". Sure, lets get rid of our nuclear cabability and have literally no military defence budget, because you know - all humans are the same and would never harm each other... omg people seriously, what planet are you living on.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I think this thread has spiralled into insanity.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    So a dead child means nothing to you?

It means that his father should not have tried to leave a perfectly safe country in a little rubber boat.
  • Options
    Alfred ChickenAlfred Chicken Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks now what's your opinion on those throwing food and water away?

Well, they're not exactly doing themselves any favours are they?

As I said, those people are not our problem. Cameron has announced what I think is a sensible solution and I hope other countries follow suit and adopt a similar stance. Given the circumstances, he had to do something and what he has proposed is actually quite well thought out.

Just doing nothing is not really an option and he's managed to come up with a sensible solution. I usually have no time for him, but I think he has got this right and the outcome is about as much as anyone could have realistically hoped for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Explain then - if people don't make up society then what does?
    Because in your instance it's only been of benefit to you and not society as a whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what would you have happen to those migrants in Syrian refugee camps who are still dangerously close to IS, have behaved responsibly and not risked their lives or arrived illegally in European countries and started throwing their weight around.

We had to help and Cameron has been sensible enough to help those who deserve it the most.

Hopefully, other countries will follow his example and adopt a similar stance, which might just resolve this situation that, in case you had forgotten, is costing innocent children their lives.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really tell why they are doing that from the video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, they're not exactly doing themselves any favours are they?

As I said, those people are not our problem. Cameron has announced what I think is a sensible solution and I hope other countries follow suit and adopt a similar stance. Given the circumstances, he had to do something and what he has proposed is actually quite well thought out.

Just doing nothing is not really an option and he's managed to come up with a sensible solution. I usually have no time for him, but I think he has got this right and the outcome is about as much as anyone could have realistically hoped for.

It's not about what Cameron has said today, good money is being wasted by those ungrateful sods. It's being thrown back in the faces of those who donated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not about what Cameron has said today, good money is being wasted by those ungrateful sods.

Well, in the circumstances I think they can be forgiven for their somewhat unreasonable behaviour.

They've risked their lives to escape from IS and seek refuge in European countries with decent human rights records and they are highly likely to end up being sent straight back to where they came from.

I can't judge them because I wouldn't want to spend so much as a single day living their lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their throwing away the water because they were thought they were in the land of milk and honey.

Oh well just let them die of thirst then ungrateful ****s.

The Hungarians were trying to get them to a camp provide shelter, food, medicine and get their registrations processed but oh no their first actions in our european countries is to disrepect the laws.

Try carrying that off in a middle eastern country and see what happens to you.

Hungary is not good enough.
    Greece is not good enough.
    Turkey is not good enough.

Only the UK or German gravy train is what these scroungers are after with ZERO intent on integration.
    Omg you are racist how could you think of that of fellow humans!
    /sigh.
    +1 I agree.

Just think what would have happened if we were like the French in WW2...
    (lets not go there lol)
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »

Just think what would have happened if we were like the French in WW2...
    (lets not go there lol)

If only the French had had the foresight to dig a moat, like we did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    No wonder the Poles are taking virtually none of them.Yet no-one is giving them a hard time about anything.Funny that eh?.It's all about the big,bad UK.
    Fair play to them.They have realised what it's all about.Mind you,you expect notthing less from a country of (self proclaimed) self serving racists.They like to take take take.But aren't so keen on giving.
    "Big bad UK", what glue are you sniffing? I'd like some...
    The Poles have caused next to no issues compared to the ethnic Muslim "minitory". The Poles seem to love it here, every single one of them. Can't say the same about of Asian origin?
    Fair play you say? Racism you say?
    Why would we like to give? when our politicians are FOREVER GIVING away OUR money to other countries when we are £trillions in debt, AND to the EU, and expected to take on a lot of refugees? We OWE nothing to anyone. We helped take down Gadafi for the people yet the rebelilions went against its own people and its suppliers? Does that not say anything about these so-called human cowards that we feel sorry about? Sorry, but our grandparents who fought for THIS country would be utterly ashamed, if it was not for them then the Muslims would have been long wiped out by now. Some respect we get.

If it wasn't for the geneva convention, if only... then the world would be in a better and far more peaceful place by now instead of being split with a barbaric culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I'm not happy about my money being spent in this way.

Really? You think you have earned the right to turn these people away?

You haven't earned anything. You are just very, very fortunate to have been born in or allowed to live in the UK. This is a civilised, democratic country with a national health service, decent state education, a good record on human rights and we also happen to have one of the strongest economies in the world.

You're lucky, that's all. You can blither on about your "hard earned money" all you want, but in the great lottery that is life you hit the jackpot and benefitted from the kind of opportunity and affluence that people in Syria can only dream of. I'll bet you've never put in the kind of hard day's work most of those people stuck in Syrian refugee camps have just to get by on almost nothing in an inhospitable medieval land of poverty and war.

How exactly is a few thousand refugees going to affect you? Not much at all I would imagine. How will it affect those refugees fortunate enough to be granted permission to escape IS and find safety in UK? It will change their lives completely and allow them to enjoy exactly the same privilege and opportunity that you have simply because you were born in the right place at the right time. As I said, you haven't earned anything.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    Oh well, if you're 'enriched' with some belly dancing and an authentic Korma, what's there to worry about?^_^

That sort of question was thrown out at a drinking session I was at recently - basically, if we removed all cultural elements from Britain that came as a result of immigrants from Muslim countries, what would you really miss? (The question was a bit more rambling than that - we were all drunk - but that was the gist.) We really struggled to get beyond curries/Indian takeaways, and kebabs. And even those weren't exactly "pure" answers because Hindus can knock up a curry, and Greeks kebabs and the like. We struggled to find ways in which our lives would be truly different.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved this image in the comments underneath.

https://cdn.liveleak.com/80281E/ll_a_s/2015/Sep/4/LiveLeak-dot-com-8b3_1441361314-11951384_386073781603935_650061690670054_1441361327.jpg?d5e8cc8eccfb6039332f41f6249e92b06c91b4db65f5e99818bdd3974945ddd27eca&ec_rate=230

Okay, they've written "no war" over Ukraine, which isn't quite correct, but apart from that it sums this whole situation up and why we should ignore all the bleeding hearts.

These people long ago crossed over from desperation into taking advantage, and the situation will only get worse as governments (particularly those in the countries they want to get to, like Germany, UK, Sweden, etc) cave in and send out further messages that they will accept all-comers.
  • Options
    viajero_americaviajero_america Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    What was the reason made them do that?

Maybe that was a consequence of something happened before recording the video. Who knows
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've risked their lives to escape from IS and seek refuge in European countries.

That's not entirely true... they appear to be seeking refuge in a specific country. Otherwise they would be happy in Budapest but instead some of them were throwing food and water back into the faces of people who are trying to help them.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,550
    Forum Member
    How exactly is a few thousand refugees going to affect you? Not much at all I would imagine.

The point is that there are millions of refugees in the Middle East and taking thousands now will just encourage more to try and join them. It's like building new roads... they soon fill up and you need even more. We can't take millions!

Some people can see beyond the short-term.
This discussion has been closed.