Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Apparently this country has given £1 billion now to the Syrian refugee crisis. Now we're getting thousands in this country to pay for.

it's amazing how there's always a bottomless pit of money to spend on other countries when there are cuts being made in this country cos there's no money!

Where are these extra thousands gong to live? I thought there was an urgent housing shortage in this country already,.
    This will not help the 'they just come over here and take our houses' argument!

The housing problem is truly frightening. If you assume we take another, say, 10,000 Syrians in (we have already taken 5000), then at, say, an average family size of 4, that's 4000 houses. Imagine walking around a housing estate of 4000 houses, and that's just the housing requirements of refugees from one country over the current one crisis. The problem is colossal.

All those people are arriving without the money to afford any accomodation and very little or no food. They each have to be found places to live, or paid back the rent they pay if they go into private-sector housing. They all go instantly onto social benefits. Their kids (often with little English) go straight into schools. Most of them are unskilled labour - famers, shopkeepers etc. Getting them jobs is dumped straight onto the state. Etc. etc. The cost to the social-security purse is insane.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're lucky, that's all. You can blither on about your "hard earned money" all you want, but in the great lottery that is life you hit the jackpot and benefitted from the kind of opportunity and affluence that people in Syria can only dream of. I'll bet you've never put in the kind of hard day's work most of those people stuck in Syrian refugee camps have just to get by on almost nothing in an inhospitable medieval land of poverty and war.

How exactly is a few thousand refugees going to affect you? Not much at all I would imagine. How will it affect those refugees fortunate enough to be granted permission to escape IS and find safety in UK? It will change their lives completely and allow them to enjoy exactly the same privilege and opportunity that you have simply because you were born in the right place at the right time. As I said, you haven't earned anything.
    Are you saying these Syrians are hard grafters? Umm, ok. So, why are they not proud of their country? If they were they would fight for their country, just like the rest of our British forefathers have in WW1/2? Or are we cowards these days that we would rather run away to other countries? Sorry, but personally, lets say Russians invaded us, I would never cave in to their invasive tactics. We are British, be English, Scottish, Welsh, we stood up against incredible odds. But these days, it all seems to be for nothing.

A few thousand refugees? how about YOU take in and support a refugee family? I'm sure at least most of us could not, our country is beyond full, our road infrastucture is worsoning because of government cutbacks, we do not have enough homes for our British born tramps, our poor elderly are living in third world conditions by far worse than prison conditions, and our national debt is mind-blowing, and global warming is on our doorstep.
    And you're worried about refugees?
    come on, seriously, brain damaged.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the reason made them do that?...
    I had rather hoped to see an answer to that question here, having seen this incident referred to a couple of times in other threads.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the reason made them do that?

Maybe that was a consequence of something happened before recording the video. Who knows

At first I thought it might be because the food wasn't halal?

But with the water being thrown around too, I don't know.

What struck me about that video was that the officials handing out the food and water were so meek. Stuff getting thrown away, let's just bring more for them.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    This thread is simply hatemongering.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had rather hoped to see an answer to that question here, having seen this incident referred to a couple of times in other threads.

'When I see a video,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A child is dead. No you're the one who is disgusting. A 2 year old. And you think a 2 year old is a suicide bomber. Why do you think the family left - mind boggling. This is a humanitarian crisis
    When suicide bomb attacks happen. It is on YOUR head, for taking in these people.
    All humans are not angelic innocent beings, especially from other countries.
    I am being defensive - for us and our well being. Yet you insult me for helping your family to live and prosper.
    When your daughter or granddaughter is raped because of a minority or a minority, then lets see who feels the same way. Or when you hear of fellow countrymen killed by a suicide bomb or beheading. This is on your name, not the so-called terrorist.

I am contributing to YOUR and your families well-being of safety. Yet you consider me as disgusting?
    So be it.
    I am not the one threatening to invade any country or harm anyone. But other people noticably of ISIS have threatened that they will.
    So get your priorities straight, because when the time comes for call to arms who of will be fighting and who will be running away...
  • Options
    Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222470/Foot-dragging-Britain-open-door-240-000-refugees-says-Green-leader-Natalie-Bennett.html

she's kind of coy on where she would house them all, but I'm sure she's rigorously audited the facts and figures as she always has done in the past....
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Is there any word on where they will go?
    If they're anything like the ones we've seen then they'll go wherever they want to regardless.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Of course Ireland can take people. Half your population has buggered off somewhere else

Ireland lives off EU handouts/subsidies - they will not be paying the cost of refugees that they do take. It's easy when you ain't paying for it yourself.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at this tweet from Jonathan Ashworth, Labour MP for Leicester South:

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/639797505740394497

:D

Good Lord, that's vomit-inducing.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    Should have left Gaddafi in charge.
    Gadaffi was Libyan. It's Assad who's the problem in Syria.

I do agree with the posters saying they're only interested in getting to the UK, though. I really do think Cameron wants to get out of the EU to be honest, because I doubt this problem would be as bad for the UK if we weren't part of Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    "Big bad UK", what glue are you sniffing? I'd like some...
    The Poles have caused next to no issues compared to the ethnic Muslim "minitory". The Poles seem to love it here, every single one of them. Can't say the same about of Asian origin?
    Fair play you say? Racism you say?
    I think you'll find that U96 was talking of Poland and not Poles living here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? You think you have earned the right to turn these people away?

Why have you twisted it to mean that?
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Population increase is incompatible with most green thinking, isn't it? I read Lucas' take on in this on the Guardian. Seems to have gone down like a lead balloon with most, but the picked comments don't reflect that.
  • Options
    Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Population increase is incompatible with most green thinking, isn't it?

One of the most egregious contradictions at the heart of the Left's philosophy. And one they refuse to acknowledge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, in the circumstances I think they can be forgiven for their somewhat unreasonable behaviour.

They've risked their lives to escape from IS and seek refuge in European countries with decent human rights records and they are highly likely to end up being sent straight back to where they came from.

I can't judge them because I wouldn't want to spend so much as a single day living their lives.

You forgiving is judging them.

If you were in their shoes would you throw much needed food and water away?

Reasons why to either yes or no answer please.
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    The link has been posted with no real context attached.

The context is easy to find if people could bother to do something other than spreading propaganda.

This latest crisis has really uncovered a vile segment of society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    The link has been posted with no real context attached.

The context is easy to find if people could bother to do something other than spreading propaganda.

Find it then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look at this tweet from Jonathan Ashworth, Labour MP for Leicester South:

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/639797505740394497

:D

Some muslim guy has called him a creep :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're having a laugh.

Lets disarm our nuclear capability, have absolutely no military, fund no aid to other countries. And then lets see who will come to OUR aid or support when we need it. I am 100% certain many other countries would help us out... NOT.
    Vial you say... get off that dream cloud.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    This thread is simply hatemongering.

You're a racist.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    all these illegals aver very cunning and will do anything to get into other countries. the child was either drowned on purpose to get the public on their side, but either way they are using that and the media to get sympathy.
    They are very cunning and devious and will do anything even the death of a child as death of 1 means 1000s can get in.

Are you mad? Or just very nasty?
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    In all fairness , sorcha , the poor liittle lads family were already safe and living in Turkey

Yes exactly, the father clearly admitted he headed off in the boat with his family because he was looking for a better life in Europe. Better than the perfectly safe one he had in Turkey.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of a perfectly good emotional outburst splashed all over the media eh?
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're anything like the ones we've seen then they'll go wherever they want to regardless.

France
This discussion has been closed.