Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muzungu wrote: »
    Then count yourself lucky, hope you and your family will never be in the situation they are currently in and show some human kindness to those less off than you. Because one day it might be you that has to step in a boat, save your children, flee your house and leave your belongings.
    I'd dread being in that position. But if I then fled my home, risked my family's lives on a treacherous journey and arrived in another country - and my family was offered food and drink in return for being processed as legitimate asylum seekers - I'd be eternally grateful to those who allowed us into their country. What I wouldn't do is throw the food and drink back in their faces and shout abuse at them because the process was taking too long.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I wonder how many people on waiting lists for council housing will happily give up their place?

i also wonder how many romanian refugees currently in homeless in london, bob geldof has offered his homes to? or don't they count because they are not in the news at the moment?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    Really? Why's that?

I think it was a humoured reference to "knuckle dragging", a caricature trait of the uninformed reactionary type.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I have a question:

Why didn't the family fly to Germany by plane? Or the dad could have just gone on his own for his dentist appointment if money was a big problem.

How do all the other construction site workers manage to survive in Turkey?

I've just checked several websites - it's slightly below average wage.

But if his sister can send $000's to help them risk their lives, can't she just send $0's to let them have a better life in Turkey, and be safe and legal?
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The defence budget does not fund the NHS.

If we get rid of nukes more money will be freed up so we can spend more on things like the NHS.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I understand perfectly why they would want to leave camps in Turkey and Lebanon.

What is less clear to me is why they would want to leave Hungary, which the last time I checked was a country with a perfectly acceptable standard of living, a member of the EU, a signatory to the Human Rights convention, and wasn’t in the throes of a bloody civil war or subject to American bombing raids?
    Hungary's Prime Minister has spouted anti refugee rhetoric and the second largest party in Hungary is vehemently anti-refugees. So fear particularly of the far right that has attacked refugees. Also fear of detention for up to 6 to 12 months depending on if refugee status is granted or denied and the very poor reputation of some of the detention centres and camps, followed by many ending up homeless and destitute in Hungary. And then if they make it to another EU nation being deported back to Hungary because they were processed in Hungary.

The refugee detention centres and camps in Hungary
    Nyírbátor [Asylum detention and immigration detention]
    The most notorious for mistreating and sedating asylum-seekers.
    Hungarian Ombudsman released a report in 2012 concluded that the buildings and the regime are inhumane. There have also been hunger strikes by detainees.
    Kiskunhalas [Immigration detention]
    Notorious for its guards physically assaulting the detained people.
    Békéscsaba [asylum detention]
    Has been an open camp as well as a detention centre for families in the past.
    Detainees have rioted against the extremely poor conditions, held a hunger strike and set the centre on fire.
    Győr [immigration detention]
    The smallest in the country. Does not have such a bad reputation as the three above.
    Menedék is also present here with their community social workers, and Helsinki Committee visits the jail twice a month.
    Debrecen [open camp and detention centre]
    A very big open camp as well as a detention centre within.
    This camp is notorious for problems such as overcrowding, poor food and poor hygiene. Also anti immigrant protests by Jobbik outside the camp.
    Balassagyarmat [semi-open camp]
    Fines and punishments of detainees. Failed Asylum seekers that Hungary is unable to deport are evicted from the camp and end up destitute.
    Bicske [open camp]
    There are issues with refugees granted asylum becoming homeless upon leaving the camp.
    Vámosszabadi [open camp]
    Despite protests by locals before it opened. Since opening refugees have reported a very casual and supportive atmosphere from the locals.

Germany by contrast pro refugee rhetoric from Chancellor of Germany. Less detention, more support, more likely to be granted asylum and given refugee status. Images of the local people welcoming refugees. And last but not least Germany is a more wealthy country with lower unemployment so better opportunities to make a better future for themselves.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Really? Why's that?

You really have to ask?

I'm sure the one that comment was aimed at is working hard to get it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCPIrs90eg
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    It's funny how the left seem to immediatley forget the current housing crisis at times like this yet usually they're quick enough to critcise the right for not doing enough.

It's not very funny how the right insist that we should prioritise people moving home over saving lives.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's heavily overpopulated in the south east. Plenty of room elsewhere in the UK. Wales and Scotland are practically empty.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,609
    Forum Member
    It brings me to tears, the fact so many people are easily lead. But it's only '10 families per a city'

Yeah for now....wait until all the rest come, then it's just, oh its only another so called 10, then another and another.. it won't stop anytime soon. Goodbye UK!

UK isn't going anywhere. Well, unless Scotland leaves.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? You think you have earned the right to turn these people away?

You haven't earned anything. You are just very, very fortunate to have been born in or allowed to live in the UK. This is a civilised, democratic country with a national health service, decent state education, a good record on human rights and we also happen to have one of the strongest economies in the world.

You're lucky, that's all. You can blither on about your "hard earned money" all you want, but in the great lottery that is life you hit the jackpot and benefitted from the kind of opportunity and affluence that people in Syria can only dream of. I'll bet you've never put in the kind of hard day's work most of those people stuck in Syrian refugee camps have just to get by on almost nothing in an inhospitable medieval land of poverty and war.

How exactly is a few thousand refugees going to affect you? Not much at all I would imagine. How will it affect those refugees fortunate enough to be granted permission to escape IS and find safety in UK? It will change their lives completely and allow them to enjoy exactly the same privilege and opportunity that you have simply because you were born in the right place at the right time. As I said, you haven't earned anything.

Nice post Alfred and generous thoughts.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Evil Tories blah, blah,blah........
    They are the cause of all Britain's ills aren't they ?
    Just out of curiosity where would you find all the money needed to offset the cuts ?
    And how many social houses were built under labours last administration ?

I'd be interested to know the precise figure of that, as well.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Britain is overcrowded yet, but we still need to keep the numbers coming in at a sensible amount though, what with this nation not exactly being as big as some other countries out there.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Haha go to India to see what overpopulated really means.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    Evil Tories blah, blah,blah........
    They are the cause of all Britain's ills aren't they ?
    Just out of curiosity where would you find all the money needed to offset the cuts ?
    And how many social houses were built under labours last administration ?

Discusssion on these forums is hindered by those with extreme left/right views who cannot see beyond the end of their noses.

We are in need of multi party solutions but unfortunately the politicians are just as blinkered too.

We currently have eight million immigrants requiring housing education and healthcare. They also produce children - more schools housing and healthcare. Not only do we have double the population density of any other EU country it can only get worse.

Two further problems. Many of the immigrants do not contribute to the services they demand; many imigrants seem to want to bring a foriegn culture here that they tell us they want to escape from.

All we can to is wait till it all kick s off here as you can be assured that no political party will even attempt to get to grips with the issues that are od serious concern to the rest of us.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Objectively, of course not. But if we want to retain our current levels of countryside and greenery and wildlife then we're pushing the limit.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need more farms, not more houses.

More people just means more problems - the whole world needs to come together and sort out this rather large problem that is looming.

And yes, Britain is overcrowded, just like many other countries.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Because in your instance it's only been of benefit to you and not society as a whole.

So for something to enrich society it has to enrich every member of it? Does that mean every single person has to feel enriched in order for it to count?
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petition against immigration

Sign and share if you agree
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you on about?

There was no reason for Blair to go to war.

And yes I voted Labour in 97 because I was desperate to get rid of the Tories.

There was a reason to invade Afghanistan as the US invoked Nato article 5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Treaty#Article_5
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bandwagon, jumps comes to mind.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,672
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    As Trident is going to be upgraded then we need the appropriate onshore facilities as well as the subs so of course it's a safety issue. You can't just park them anyway.

All about priorities isn't it? Upgrading a base for subs which will cost near 80 billion is not a priority and people who want more spent on health and housing want to think about this horrific waste of money.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Haha go to India to see what overpopulated really means.

Yes you are right. We should wait until conditions are like in Japan before we get concerned.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Objectively, of course not. But if we want to retain our current levels of countryside and greenery and wildlife then we're pushing the limit.

If we want to keep that, there will come a time when we'll have to say, "no more". When that time will be though, I don't know.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    You really have to ask?

I'm sure the one that comment was aimed at is working hard to get it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrCPIrs90eg

You're very smug, aren't you.
This discussion has been closed.