Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i think the germans in 10 yrs time they will think what the hell have we done. im thinking the left is trying to make it happen here in the uk but it wont as people are more savvy and wont be taken in. they see the lot at calais and say dont let them in. i cant say ive met a single person who wants any of the migrants in the uk.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not really care why they are doing it, it is going to set up enormous tensions within the European Union.

No it won't: the press have already determined that EU leaders will agree to take in tens of thousands thanks to that photo. Then it'll leave the news cycle, and that'll be that.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    If the Brits had fought WW2 alone we'd have lost' no doubt.

We needed HELP, from FOREIGNERS (:o) to win the war-Americans, French resistance, Polish airmen, Russians on the Eastern front, middle Eadtern countries to fight off Rommel.

Left alone the Nazi's would've walked all over us. Co-operation, across nations advances humanity. Fierce independence leads to Antropy.

Oh and PS-stop dining off events almost 100 yrs ago that none of us here now were directly involved in.

You do realise it was a world war and not some local scuffle between two nations.
  • Options
    Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been pointed out already, she was clearly trying to attract the migrants attention as they were passing by so she could interview them.

That may well be the case but you claimed what I said was ''utter nonsense'' when I was simply stating a fact. The reporter was shouting ''Welcome to Germany'' and she had a big smile on her face too so I took the liberty of adding the adjective ''gleefully''.
  • Options
    Bar Bar JinksBar Bar Jinks Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Europe will soon be run by right wing, anti-immigration and racist political parties, thanks to the weak liberal do-gooders on the left. :D
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    You Believe what you want to believe but if his own sister said this on Sky News then it's good enough for me! Canada has said that he had NOT applied for permission to live there so that was a load of rubbish too. His brother had put in an application for himself but did not complete it so that was the only family connection there.

The fact remains that had he not put his family on a rubber boat with no life jackets and decided to leave the safety of Turkey (where they had been living and working for over a year and had posted happy pictures on Facebook) then this terrible tragedy would never have happened.

Well said. I don't know what is worse. The blatant manipulation by the media or the naive gullibility of the individuals desperate to compassion shame others.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport1 wrote: »
    Not that you would ever believe me but I have worked for a children's charity for 18 years.

Germans are showing empathy and charity. Too many people on here hate that.

That Merkel woman is a mad woman! They're trying to make amends for their part in ww2 that's what they're doing. There is no way on this earth that she can take in 800,000 people and expect things to go smoothly. Let's see how things pan out a year or 18 months down the line and see how the German people feel then.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Europe will soon be run by right wing, anti-immigration and racist political parties, thanks to the weak liberal do-gooders on the left. :D

You are probably right.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport1 wrote: »
    Not that you would ever believe me but I have worked for a children's charity for 18 years.

Germans are showing empathy and charity. Too many people on here hate that.

Germans are smarter than you think. It will ease the tension for now.

You do realise that it's the first port of call. Once they're rubber stamped, it's onto Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim countries won't take these people in, but the UK is racist if it doesn't

Left wing logic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germans are smarter than you think. It will ease the tension for now.

You do realise that it's the first port of call. Once they're rubber stamped, it's onto Britain.

That is exactly what I am very aware of.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That may well be the case but you claimed what I said was ''utter nonsense'' when I was simply stating a fact. The reporter was shouting ''Welcome to Germany'' and she had a big smile on her face too so I took the liberty of adding the adjective ''gleefully''.
    You aren't "simply stating a fact" if - by your own admission - you're taking liberties which completely change the context of the situation and mislead people.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnE3cFEehxg

This report from German TV shows that they are evicting extremely poor Germans from their makeshift housing in order to build refugee accommodation (which the poor Germans will obviously not benefit from). And commandeering private property to house them. The pressure on Germans that are already struggling to find cheap housing will also be increased markedly.

That's odd because, since reunification, there's been a net population loss in the five eastern states to the more prosperous western states (ex-West Germany) so there should be reasonable amounts of accommodation available even if it is a little basic. Indeed, in some towns the population was so significant that housing demolition plans had to be put into operation such was the extent of the spare capacity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look guys, it's going to be fine. All EU countries have a surplus of jobs, housing and infrastructure. Everyone in Britain owns a least 3 homes and has 2 jobs, so I'm sure they can share it round.

The govt are desperately trying to cut the benefits bill by picking on the sick and disabled. Looks like it will be going back up again.

This really is a grade a **** up and it's caused by STUPID, NAIVE, GULLIBLE, CAREER Politicians.

When the **** hits the fan, where will they be?

Will Natalie Bennett, Yvette Cooper et al be living down the road from civil unrest?

What do you think?

They remind me of Jerry Springer. They step in, light the touch paper, then hide in the audience when hell breaks loose.

Instead of knee jerk reactions to sensationalist newsspaper pics, how about one enages brain before making decisions.

Where will these people live?
    What will they live on?
    Schooling?
    Healthcare?
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the Germans are showing extreme stupidity. They are doing things that will have enormous repercussions for all of Europe. If you had any vision you would see that.

You're right. A government is meant to act sensibly and wisely with a view on the long term rather than sea-sawing wildly to accommodate every short term populist whim.

This is a classic example of this. Governments need to act firmly, and by some evaluations coldly, to protect the future and ensure this doesn't turn into an unstoppable runaway train that destroys the fabric of the country that they have been selected to govern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a place called Askern which is in Doncaster, the day care centre for the elderly is closing down due to lack of government money

But we can give £900 million to Syrian refugees .

Doesn't make any sense .
  • Options
    Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I laughed when i heard wee Helmet Haircut Sturgeon saying she wept whilst watching the little boy being brought ashore.It was very sad indeed.But i can't help but think she just made it up to suit her own agenda.Now she's taking the same 'we love all immigrants,send them up here' line as Germany.
    Seeing as Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland only have less than 8% of the UK's immigrant population between them, I would guess they are yet to experience the full joys that multiculturalism has to offer.

So if Sturgeon wants migrants in Scotland, she's welcome to them,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    In a place called Askern which is in Doncaster, the day care centre for the elderly is closing down due to lack of government money

It is far from the only day care centre that is being hit by lack of funds.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the media's very one sided coverage of this situation is going to backfire.

No doubt they think pretending absolutely everyone is massively in favour of flinging the doors wide open to whoever wants to come here is a good idea and will convince everyone that it is actually true. I'm not convinced myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I laughed when i heard wee Helmet Haircut Sturgeon saying she wept whilst watching the little boy being brought ashore.It was very sad indeed.But i can't help but think she just made it up to suit her own agenda.Now she's taking the same 'we love all immigrants,send them up here' line as Germany.

Of course she did.

1) I wager she's never wept in her life. Look at her, she's hard as nails. She is trying to emotionally blackmail CaMoron. Has she planned to bring all these people to Scotland seeing that she feels so strongly? She's SNP, so nothing to do with anyone South of the border.

2) IF she is the crying type, she must get through boxxes of Kleenex every day as children are dying every day, in appalling conditions
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    No it won't: the press have already determined that EU leaders will agree to take in tens of thousands thanks to that photo. Then it'll leave the news cycle, and that'll be that.

Ah, so once it's out of the headlines the problem just disappears, does it? Sums up the approach of some people.

Out of sight, out of mind. Meanwhile, the people who are actually affected by the situation on the ground will have to continue dealing with the ramifications for them and their communities.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    So for something to enrich society it has to enrich every member of it? Does that mean every single person has to feel enriched in order for it to count?

Something for you to digest, the term 'as a whole' doesn't have to mean every single person and with that I'll leave you to your silly game.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Ah, so once it's out of the headlines the problem just disappears, does it? Sums up the approach of some people.

Out of sight, out of mind. Meanwhile, the people who are actually affected by the situation on the ground will have to continue dealing with the ramifications for them and their communities.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying that's what happens. The baying mob has a short memory. Although the EU referendum will be interesting.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how the argument's changed from "well why doesn't Germany take them?" to "wtf does Germany think it's doing?"
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    In view of the somewhat hardline attitude that is being displayed at times, it is now appropriate for an ethical intervention:
    Matthew 25:35-36 (New International Version)

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
This discussion has been closed.