Options

161,000 signed UK Parliament petition - Accept more asylum seekers!

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,583
    Forum Member
    dave666 wrote: »
    It has likely been said in this thread but you have to question why they want to come as far as the UK and not one of the many peaceful country's they pass to get here
    They generally don't try and get to the UK. Most go elsewhere in Europe.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Exactly dave. Good old dave with the facts as always. It's all about the money.

And i'll say it again to those who doubted me. Scotland is not capable of taking in thousands of migrants. Just because you look at our map and you see hundreds of miles of empty land doesn't mean we can take in more people. Our country works a certain way. That land is used for water and farming and making things and many other things and here in Glasgow it's just too busy as it is. There's just not enough houses and we don't have the money to build more houses.

England has always been very welcoming to visitors, especially London, a lot of them love London. What about the shires down in England. The Yorkshire, the Berkshire, the other ones too. There is lots of land there for building houses or thousands of caravans. Make one big huge caravan park. And Wales has lots of space too. I think this needs to be thought out.
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
  • Options
    dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »

It could hit the target by Tuesday
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    It could hit the target by Tuesday

And then be discarded as poorly written trash.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    zexstream wrote: »

Now imagine how many would have signed a softer, better worded petition (i.e. one that simply offered the opposite view to the pro-asylum petition). Especially if it had as much press as the pro-asylum petition.

I haven't and won't sign this petition as I'm not anti-immigration. I'm simply against the high levels of immigration seen over the last decade.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »

And i'll say it again to those who doubted me. Scotland is not capable of taking in thousands of migrants. Just because you look at our map and you see hundreds of miles of empty land doesn't mean we can take in more people. Our country works a certain way. That land is used for water and farming and making things and many other things and here in Glasgow it's just too busy as it is. There's just not enough houses and we don't have the money to build more houses.

England has always been very welcoming to visitors, especially London, a lot of them love London. What about the shires down in England. The Yorkshire, the Berkshire, the other ones too. There is lots of land there for building houses or thousands of caravans. Make one big huge caravan park. And Wales has lots of space too. I think this needs to be thought out.

Well, as someone who lives in "the Berkshire" I can say with confidence, that spare land we have is used for farming, for making things and for water. There are also towns such as Hungerford, Newbury, Thatcham, Theale, Reading, Twyford (Berks), Maidenhead, Bracknell, Crowthorne, Wokingham, Windsor & Eaton, Ascot, and Slough.
    These are pretty small towns except Newbury, Reading, Maidenhead and Wokingham and Slough so there isn't much room.

Why do you think England operates differently to Scotland?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    They generally don't try and get to the UK. Most go elsewhere in Europe.

They tend to gravitate where the most generous welfare states are - in western and northern Europe.

As one migrant was quoted - they give you a house and a car and if you don't have money they give you money.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    They tend to gravitate where the most generous welfare states are - in western and northern Europe.

As one migrant was quoted - they give you a house and a car and if you don't have money they give you money.

I don't think anyone anywhere gives anybody a car! Not unless you're disabled and qualify for one - which migrants wouldn't.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Of course they will claim for the refugees upkeep - who on earth can afford to support an adult with everything they need aswell as supporting themselves with no additional funding? They will look to the state for some money.

You honestly have shocked me! there was me thinking they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts! Maybe they'd better count me in as I currently have three spare bedrooms and a very large summerhouse.:D
  • Options
    dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »

Just because it is poorly worded it doesn't make the opinions of the people that signed it less valid
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone anywhere gives anybody a car! Not unless you're disabled and qualify for one - which migrants wouldn't.
    The migrant was explaining what he'd been told he could expect to get - but this was before he arrived. He, and others like him, are in for a big surprise.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

I'd like to see the article that quote comes from. I can only believe the immigrant was a bit slow to say it or it might have been tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Just because it is poorly worded it doesn't make the opinions of the people that signed it less valid

I'm sure... it's still going to be disregarded though :)
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly!

Now currently standing at over 73,000 and counting.

Parliament Petition
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny that, because recently they showed the Muslim hate preacher that we can't get rid of and he has a disability car along with his own disabled space yet neighbours regularly see him carrying heavy boxes and suitcases to and from his car.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »

What effect do you think that will have on those who signed and those who didn't sign but still agree with the principle?
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »

The Scottish Highlands today have a substantially lower population than they did in the 1700's before the Highland clearances or even the 1800's after the Highland clearances following the Jacobite rebellion. The Highlands of Scotland today remain one of the areas with the lowest population densities in the whole of the EU. If the EU was looking for where to place a massive influx of people the Scottish Highlands would be an obvious prime location.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scottish Highlands today have a substantially lower population than they did in the 1700's before the Highland clearances or even the 1800's after the Highland clearances following the Jacobite rebellion. The Highlands of Scotland today remain one of the areas with the lowest population densities in the whole of the EU. If the EU was looking for where to place a massive influx of people the Scottish Highlands would be an obvious prime location.

Aye, we can place thousands out on Rannoch Moor, where there are no roads, no lecky, no sewage and no shops or houses. It does have p*ssing rain, midges wearing tackety boots and in the winter drifts from 6 feet upwards.

Think these things through!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

here's the kiddo! Too disabled to work :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156871/Is-hate-preacher-50-000-benefits-REALLY-disabled-work-Jihadi-inspired-Tunisia-beach-massacre-caught-lifting-heavy-items-pushing-wheelchair-driving.html

You couldn't make it up could you? No wonder they all want to come here.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, as someone who lives in "the Berkshire" I can say with confidence, that spare land we have is used for farming, for making things and for water. There are also towns such as Hungerford, Newbury, Thatcham, Theale, Reading, Twyford (Berks), Maidenhead, Bracknell, Crowthorne, Wokingham, Windsor & Eaton, Ascot, and Slough.
    These are pretty small towns except Newbury, Reading, Maidenhead and Wokingham and Slough so there isn't much room.

Why do you think England operates differently to Scotland?

Scotland: 67.2 people per square kilometre.
    "The" Berkshire 636 people per square kilometer
    Short of bulldozing AWE, Windsor castle and two racecourses. Evicting the population of Reading, Newbury and Slough. Then re-expanding the county North to Didcot. There's no case for "the" Berkshire to be favoured over Scotland.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Tired of it being the main news story every day and mostly the only story. Give us a break !
    Its filtered down the line right to syria that germany is welcoming then so more are coming...great !
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There's a database set up for people who want to offer a room to a Syrian refugee. It's been up for three days and has 2000 offers. That's out of a population of approx 65 MILLION and the organiser says she is staggered by the response. :D:D
    I am totally opposed to anyone offering a room for a refugee. It is irresponsible and likely to make our numbers of disappearing illegal immigrants higher.

There is absolutely no chance that the Government or Local Authorities will allow refugees, migrants or whatever term to use to call them be housed in the spare bedrooms of other people. There is just far too much of a risk to allow that to occur.

It is just ridiculous posturing by the Twitter and Facebook "look at me me meeeee" crowd who find it incredibly easy to post online about how wonderful and kind hearted they are without a shred of thought of the logical practicalities of the situation.

Are these people *seriously* thinking they could take in total strangers, people who may or may not even be able to speak English? You don't know who they are or what problems they might have. What about cultural differences? How long do they expect to have these people in their homes - days, weeks, months or years? What happens when the dogooder gets inevitably bored of having the guest in their house? That might sound cold and judgemental but it they are the facts of the matter.

And why would someone, genuine refugee or not, want to be housed in someone else's box room? They may be desperate but they still will have their dignity.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye, we can place thousands out on Rannoch Moor, where there are no roads, no lecky, no sewage and no shops or houses. It does have p*ssing rain, midges wearing tackety boots and in the winter drifts from 6 feet upwards.

Think these things through!
    We or rather the EU could build new garden cities, towns and villages complete with infrastructure. Just as the UK did after the second world war across the UK including in Scotland and just as the UK continued to do in another two phases and is planning to once again do by creating new garden cities in England complete with infrastructure. Across the UK 32 towns and 2 cities have been built since the second world war complete with infrastructure that now have a combined total population of over 2.7 million.

Scotland towns built after the second world war
    1947 East Kilbride population 74,395
    1948 Glenrothes population 39,277
    1955 Cumbernauld population 49,664
    1962 Livingston population 56,269
    1966 Irvine population 39,527
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the above.

But why haven't more Europeans gone to Germany? (I asked the same in a thread on GD)

Why are Polish graduates coming here to work in coffee shops and not Germany to use their degrees?

Why haven't the huge numbers of Greek, Spanish, French ect. unemployed youngsters gone to Germany where they need, especially, young people?

and I answered that point there but you clearly haven't bothered to read it. Germany has taken millions of European migrants. Look at the table.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Germany#1993-present