Options

Anyone find Adele's music boring?

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her and I like her voice but the few songs of hers I've heard, I find rather bland and MOR.

Tbh, I don't listen to commercial pop radio anyway and so manage to avoid her sort of music in the main but, what I have heard, isn't for me and I don't really get her hype tbh.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I listened to 25.
    All moderate speed. All close miked voice with back of a cave echo applied. All emotion-dripping. All wrapped up in herself and her emotions. Much too much long-note howling. Much too relentless.
    Subtle and varied it ain't. No wit or elegance.
    Won't try again.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well every song I've heard seems to. I never listened to her albums so i cant comment there. I get that shes takented and she seems like a nice person but she is just overrated

How can you comment on what all of her songs sound like then if you haven't heard them all?! I'd be intrigued to know which songs you have heard? Assuming it's the singles, I don't see how Rolling in the Deep sounds anything like Someone Like You, or Set Fire To The Rain, of Chasing Pavements?

I'm sounding like some big, massive Adele Stan, which I'm not. But I just don't see how a criticism that all her songs sound the same is valid.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt have any of these songs played at my own funeral - and I wouldnt even be there to suffer them.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy who supposedly saw her in concert, the one thing we all can agree on is that she talks shit throughout the whole show. She's legendary with it. Not sure who you saw.

What are you talking about, "supposedly"? I know exactly who I saw thank you! Like I said it was in between the release of 19 and 21. Maybe she's beefed up her act since then or developed more confidence as a live performer, I don't know. What I DO know is the show I saw at the time was boring as hell. I'm not criticising her music, I quite liked 19 when it came out hence why I went to see her live, but as I said her performance on that occasion was just disappointingly dull.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Half the problem is pop music doesn't appear to be driven by youth culture. There's a malaise in music at the moment which I can only descrive as "X Factor drear" where everything is slow and sentimental and a bit saudade. I'd put Sam smith in the same bucket as well as a million Damien Rice wannabees who just wallow in a really false, meaningless sentimentality. I stopped listen to the radio a couple of years ago because of it.

When I was 19 - popular music was so diverse and available to everyone there was bit of it in the charts. Most of the time, the charts was a mix of cheesy pop, british indie, indie/college rock, hair rock, heavy metal,american rnb pop, madchester, shoegaze, boybands, hardcore, techno,house, deep house...heck even country music.

But now, there's either dance music that sounds like it made for an advert, posturing rappers or...

Easy listening.

Not there's nothing wrong with easy listing, I adore the Carpenters. But for such a jilted generation who can't afford the rent, work zero hours contracts, student debt up the the eyeballs...is Easy Listening Adele all they aspire to? I don't know about parents..they've turned into our grandparents!

(rambling now, I'll shut up :D)
    That's so true. Music needs another kick up the backside again, the way it did when punk first appeared in the late 70's after the dire mid 70's dirge.
    I really don't like punk at all, but at least it lifted music out of the blandness that it was going through and it's going through the same phase again, only this time, I can't see a way out of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Well I listened to 25.
    All moderate speed. All close miked voice with back of a cave echo applied. All emotion-dripping. All wrapped up in herself and her emotions. Much too much long-note howling. Much too relentless.
    Subtle and varied it ain't. No wit or elegance.
    Won't try again.

Hello is drowning in reverb, so much so that it becomes unbearable. Every vocalist needs a touch of reverb to warm up the vocals but this is bordering on the criminal!
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's her isolated mic on Hello from SNL. Most everyone has heard it but maybe not some here.
    http://pix11.com/2015/11/23/adele-isolated-vocal-track-leaks-after-snl-performance/

Music is subjective. But I also think it says a lot about a person when they respond to questions like this one. I'm thinking that most people who find her boring or say the music all sounds the same haven't listened much. Cos even her three singles in the UK don't sound anything alike. I would expect these people not to like Barbra Streisand either. Or Bette Midler. Where the voce is turned up and the band turned down. Some of Barbra's biggest hits probably would bore you guys to death. She will still go down as the voice of her generation. Just like Adele will be this generations voice.

I'm just thankful that I do enjoy this music and that its out there in a sea of pop shit.
    Oh, her voice was flawless again on Fallon last night.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I find her boring.

Music for people who don't really like music.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music is subjective. But I also think it says a lot about a person when they respond to questions like this one. I'm thinking that most people who find her boring or say the music all sounds the same haven't listened much.

You seem to have a weird problem with people not being blown away by Adele.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    How can you comment on what all of her songs sound like then if you haven't heard them all?! I'd be intrigued to know which songs you have heard? Assuming it's the singles, I don't see how Rolling in the Deep sounds anything like Someone Like You, or Set Fire To The Rain, of Chasing Pavements?

I'm sounding like some big, massive Adele Stan, which I'm not. But I just don't see how a criticism that all her songs sound the same is valid.

It's mad isn't it. Just because they aren't all uptempo doesn't mean that they sound the same.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Yes, I find her boring.

Weird. I like music, and I like Adele's music. Huh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    It's mad isn't it. Just because they aren't all uptempo doesn't mean that they sound the same.

I'd like to know how many of her songs are in common time and how many in waltz time, or 5 4 time?

It's a genuine question, not a dig
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admire her for sticking to her formula of aching ballads and yearning mid-tempos. If she was tempted to go more pop or EDM with 25, she would have become Jess Glyne.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Jess Glynne wishes lol. Pound Shop Adele that one...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    You seem to have a weird problem with people not being blown away by Adele.

I don't understand it, not gonna lie there. But I don't understand how people like all the backtracked, auto tune, lead singer mic 1 lower, band mic 1 higher, crappy pop music either. And country music. Never gonna understand that one.
    But surely not on a weird level though? I may have thought it but I'm pretty sure I didn't actually write complete insensitive assholes with immature music taste, who are tone deaf at the least and must have a f*ing problem not to get her. Can someone read back and confirm I did not in fact say that? Cos f* if Ive gotten there!
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Yes, I find her boring.

it might come as a surprise to you to learn that the older demographic who like Adele's music (i include myself it that description...just:blush:), have been buying music for decades. People who have been through the 60's, or in my case 70's, been through punk and post punk, the indie scene of the 80's, bits of brit-pop in the 90's and grunge and so on. Iv'e been through all that shit and i like Adele, it's not my normal type of music i admit but whatever.

But whenever i see this comment about some artist or other (and it's a far from original one) i wish the person making it would tell us what they like, so we can know what someone who like music likes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it might come as a surprise to you to learn that the older demographic who like Adele's music (i include myself it that description...just:blush:), have been buying music for decades. People who have been through the 60's, or in my case 70's, been through punk and post punk, the indie scene of the 80's, bits of brit-pop in the 90's and grunge and so on. Iv'e been through all that shit and i like Adele, it's not my normal type of music i admit but whatever.

But whenever i see this comment about some artist or other (and it's a far from original one) i wish the person making it would tell us what they like, so we can know what someone who like music likes

Well done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    A little girl sits by her stereo wearing headphones while her parents fight downstairs...Stevie, Barry, Kenny Rogers, Billy... Anything she can get her hands on. Music to her doesn't have a boredom factor.. It has an escape factor. Music is meant to be art. It's the most complete form of art really. You must have beauty (not superficial or by today's standards of beauty... The kind that comes with grace)..an instrument... And a presence. A song takes you back... Or moves you forward. If an artist doesn't do that for you, so be it. Maybe you're afraid to tap in to that part of yourself or maybe you're life has been all sunshine and roses. If TS/JB/AG/recycled pop music gets you in the gut... Cause its simplictic and repetitive, then your interpretation of boring is skewed. I'd say Adele isn't boring to you...she challenges you.. And you're not up to the challenge. And that's okay, cause millions of people are... And we will say Hello, when you decide to join us.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    A little girl sits by her stereo wearing headphones while her parents fight downstairs...Stevie, Barry, Kenny Rogers, Billy... Anything she can get her hands on. Music to her doesn't have a boredom factor.. It has an escape factor. Music is meant to be art. It's the most complete form of art really. You must have beauty (not superficial or by today's standards of beauty... The kind that comes with grace)..an instrument... And a presence. A song takes you back... Or moves you forward. If an artist doesn't do that for you, so be it. Maybe you're afraid to tap in to that part of yourself or maybe you're life has been all sunshine and roses. If TS/JB/AG/recycled pop music gets you in the gut... Cause its simplictic and repetitive, then your interpretation of boring is skewed. I'd say Adele isn't boring to you...she challenges you.. And you're not up to the challenge. And that's okay, cause millions of people are... And we will say Hello, when you decide to join us.

Right :confused:? personally I wouldn't describe Adele's music as challenging it's just all rather similar (slow tempo, ballads) that's what makes it dull, almost like once you've heard one you roughly get an idea of her formula. I for one, like a multitude of different artists and styles for various reasons. I get Adele, but I can only take her music in moderation. It's not helped by her music being overplayed on the radio either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Right :confused:? personally I wouldn't describe Adele's music as challenging it's just all rather similar (slow tempo, ballads) that's what makes it dull, almost like once you've heard one you roughly get an idea of her formula. I for one, like a multitude of different artists and styles for various reasons. I get Adele, but I can only take her music in moderation. It's not helped by her music being overplayed on the radio either.

It is challenging, if you breathe in the lyrics. Pay attention to what she's saying. The way she puts thoughts in to words, in today's music, can not be matched. Maybe you just prefer superficial and It's dull because you've already made up your mind. I don't mind slow... Lots in things in life should be treated slowly....say what you will... Her formula is working better than anyone else's right now. And the fact that a thread about how boring it is has 4 pages of discussion... Perhaps boring isn't the right word.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it all similar or have you only had a glancing listen? And is it as formulaic as say a Metallica album, or a Motorhead album, or any rap album, or any Ramones album, or....you get the picture. Or is it only if music is slower and piano led is it a problem that there's a recurring style.

some artists are Picasso's who need to constantly change direction, and some are Rothko's exploring subtle differences within their distinctive style. Nowt wrong with either approach imo, the important thing is to do what you do with conviction.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    It is challenging, if you breathe in the lyrics. Pay attention to what she's saying. The way she puts thoughts in to words, in today's music, can not be matched. Maybe you just prefer superficial and It's dull because you've already made up your mind. I don't mind slow... Lots in things in life should be treated slowly....say what you will... Her formula is working better than anyone else's right now. And the fact that a thread about how boring it is has 4 pages of discussion... Perhaps boring isn't the right word.

OK, perhaps to a degree Adele's material could be seen as 'challenging'; I've paid attention to it and more often than not its about hurt, heartbreak very real human emotions i'm sure we've all felt. However, the tone of her music comes across dreary and even depressing. When I want to tap into such emotions I'm more than capable of doing so. Take a Whitney, Mary J. Blige or a Mariah to whatever varying degrees could take a listener on a journey through a variety of emotions; they both went through periods of slow tempo/ballads but could also have you up feeling good, happy and dancing. It's like the rapper 50 Cent said, when people question him on why he doesn't always make 'gangster rap' because people experience different emotions in life and are not always happy or sad and that's what he says he tries to reflect in his music. As for Adele i've never questioned her ability if I hadn't made it clear beforehand, I like her first album in particular and it's on my Ipod. Just feel as though with an artist like Adele it has to be in moderation or for me it propels me to feel that she is unadventurous/boring, dreary and depressing.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele has become the current default music artist to like. By the supermarket masses.

If I sound like an elitist music snob, I don't give a sh*t. Nothing against her, but she is a case of right time right place. Just like One Direction have filled the boyband gap for 12 year old girls.
    I'll stick to my 70's dinosaur rock.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Nothing against the girl but I find her voice dull and her content just dreary. 21 sounded like some sort of 60s tribute act, I don't like her stalkerish lyrics. Every time I hear her songs, or I hear her being bigged up,it makes me miss Amy Winehouse even more.

Hello is a horrible song.

I dumped you a while back and ruined your life,
    now I have had time to think about it I'd like to reconnect with you so I can bring up all over again how crap I made you feel.
    Hey - I'm in California having a great time - and you are stuck in the old dump of a town where we grew up. Can we talk about how great I am now

PLUS - it makes no sense as she says "But when I call you never seem to be home"

so she is obviously calling on a landline as if she was calling his mobile then not "being at home" would not apply.

BUT THEN she asks "Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened?"

If she is calling his landline then she must know the area code and have his old house phone number, so she knows where he is.

Not only is she a complete self-centred b**ch, but she is thick as well