Options

BBC1 Dickensian 19:00

Comments

• Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Well obviously there's going to be a bit of a murder mystery, setting up at least three possibilities over who killed him (Bill Sykes, Bob Cratchit and Scrooge).

Or fagin.....
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Unfortunately making it a 20 ep x 30 mins means, I think, it is doomed. The audience will tail off as some people won't be able to follow it on Wed and Thu (opposite Emmerdale) and they won't be able to find it in the schedules. I think it should have been on in a half-decent timeslot every weeknight from 21/12

I agree. I was going to watch, but I can't commit the time to it. It isn't due to soaps ... more life getting in the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately making it a 20 ep x 30 mins means, I think, it is doomed. The audience will tail off as some people won't be able to follow it on Wed and Thu (opposite Emmerdale) and they won't be able to find it in the schedules. I think it should have been on in a half-decent timeslot every weeknight from 21/12

What does it matter what it clashes with, when most people watch lots of stuff on iplayer anyway? And why won't they be able to find it in the schedules?:confused: It's not exactly being hidden away, it will still be on BBC1 in the early evening.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see Jason from Gavin & Stacey in this. He was never the same after that fishing trip with Uncle Bryn.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I agree. I was going to watch, but I can't commit the time to it. It isn't due to soaps ... more life getting in the way.

I can't imagine why the BBC would commission this and immediately kill it off with the varying timeslots. BBC1 director of programmes take not >:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Good to see Jason from Gavin & Stacey in this. He was never the same after that fishing trip with Uncle Bryn.

What they did was technically legal In that country.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does it matter what it clashes with, when most people watch lots of stuff on iplayer anyway? And why won't they be able to find it in the schedules?:confused: It's not exactly being hidden away, it will still be on BBC1 in the early evening.

Most people, I think, do not do that. A series is supposed to be on at the same time and on the same day. ;-)
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Stephen Rea has morphed into Mr Whicher :o

Haha. He has a bit.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday or Sunday at 7 would be the perfect time for this. Who on earth thought moving it to wed and thurs was a good idea. I'll just record it because there are other programmes I watch on them days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooo, it's Compeyson :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Saturday or Sunday at 7 would be the perfect time for this. Who on earth thought moving it to wed and thurs was a good idea. I'll just record it because there are other programmes I watch on them days.

Once a week on a Sunday evening would have been pleasant.....
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Its ok but apart from the obvious ones, Im having trouble knowing what characters are who

I was looking at this site between episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/1BV0vH2JsWR4hSsqdPpmwRk/cast-and-characters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooo, it's Compeyson :D

Another shifty character - could be under suspicion. :)
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    The Bleak Old Shop of Stuff which was a disappointing attempt to transfer the comedy of Mark Evans' splendid radio 4 Dickens pastiche Bleak Expectations to tv.

Oh yes, thanks. Bleak Expectations was very good. Lots of comedy starts well on Radio 4 and many disappoint when transferred to TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a link to all the characters, provided by the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/entries/5480f8cd-bdd6-4772-95ca-c2fe47311bbe
  • Options
    Brian The DogBrian The Dog Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    The problem here is that they have no CCTV cameras to track him or her down and no DNA evidence once that have a suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Here is a link to all the characters, provided by the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/entries/5480f8cd-bdd6-4772-95ca-c2fe47311bbe

I just did that :D Might be different bit of the beeb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a good idea. Thanks!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its getting better now, more mysterious

I think they should have started it on 20th Dec (Sunday night) and shown an hour

Then done half an hour per night until Christmas eve when they do 2 hours, then half hour until 4th Jan for the finale

That makes it a Christmas mystery, traditional mystery shown over Christmas eve and made it more watchable by being on at the same time each night for the Christmas period
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better 2nd episode. So many suspects. No wonder they need 20 episodes. Stephen Rea is brilliant as per usual. I love his speech mannerisms, the way he drags out his sentences and pauses before saying the last word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a good idea. Thanks!

I love being ignored in threads :D:p :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to have to pick up some Audiobooks.... Bleak house would be a good start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Most people, I think, do not do that. A series is supposed to be on at the same time and on the same day. ;-)

Maybe in the 70s it was, but things have moved on a bit now.

In the age of catch up TV, the restart programme feature on BBC, plus 1 channels, digital recorders and even DVD/video recorders still being around, there is no need to watch a programme at the exact time it's broadcast unless you really want to. So missing it because of the time it's been scheduled has long since stopped being an issue. I just find it astonishing that anyone would think it still is!

Everyone I've discussed TV with, friends, colleagues etc, uses catch up TV. Even my parents who are not into computers, technology, etc tape things on their video recorder, and therefore do not watch all their TV programmes at the time of broadcast.

And from reading these forums I've always got the impression that the use of catch-up/recording is pretty much the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I love being ignored in threads :D:p :kitty:

Sorry, missed yours at first. - BUT, your link shows more characters than the other one.:cool: :)
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a week on a Sunday evening would have been pleasant.....

Exactly. I think the show its self is a great idea. Downloaded first ep because i forgot it was on. I'll download 2nd ep tomorrow and watch them.