Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    What a bunch of old dinosaurs. We've heard it all before. And then there's Sam Delaney, vacuousness personified.
    Paul Ross = Yawn. JHB will be a good listen and a good counterpoint to JOB on LBC. Sam Delaney... couldn't they have done better? not been very impressed with him on TS but will give him a chance. best bit for me is Iain Lee returning to the air waves. can't wait.

Have to say I completely agree with you. Iain Lee aside, the talkRADIO line-up looks pretty uninspiring (although it's good to see George Galloway getting his old Friday night show), but Sam Delaney at weekday drive time is a particularly bad appointment.

I've found him to be so vapid and vacuous when he's filled in on talkSPORT, he's very smarmy but offers little beyond sneering at people. Before talkSPORT went all sport, I caught him a few times sitting in on the station's non-sports shows and found the approach and line he would take towards the various issues he covered very predictable - safe and right on, nothing that would catch you off guard or challenge your own perceptions.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining. Hopefully this signals the end of Delaney being the regular substitute for both Paul and Andy on Hawksbee & Jacobs. I've found it so frustrating when they've continually called upon someone as off-putting as him on this show when they have the likes of Ian Danter and Danny Kelly at their disposal. So there's that at least, but I can't see myself tuning in to talkRADIO very often judging by the line-up announced so far.
  • Options
    hiawathahiawatha Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised this morning to hear someone who was unbiassed,pleasant and articulate on the TS Breakfast show ( 3 million listeners to this program alone according to Brazil)
    No, it wasn't a TS employee it was Jeff Stelling on to tell about his charity walk.
    He actually praised Arsenal which must have sickened anti Wenger man Brazil.

Brazil doesn't mind sponging for freebies in the Arsenal diamond Club but he hates the manager. Brazil was actually slagging off Wenger the other day for not signing on Vardy last month??????????
    As if Leicester would have sold him to Arsenal.I think Braz was slightly disorientated when he came out with this claptrap.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Big Al at the West Ham game tonight. Will he be in work in the morning?

Corporate meal, drinks and private box part of the package I surmise it never fails to amaze me why so many people fall bottom over testicles for this guy. Last night's match was a real perplexity for me, in the end I opted for wanting a Hammers win knowing I hate Quinn even more than I do Abrahams. :D
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,624
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Corporate meal, drinks and private box part of the package I surmise it never fails to amaze me why so many people fall bottom over testicles for this guy. Last night's match was a real perplexity for me, in the end I opted for wanting a Hammers win knowing I hate Quinn even more than I do Abrahams. :D

I don't have an English team as such but I get a selfish kick of pleasure when Liverpool, Newcastle and Coventry lose because I know Quinn will be gutted and probably lost money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an English team as such but I get a selfish kick of pleasure when Liverpool, Newcastle and Coventry lose because I know Quinn will be gutted and probably lost money.

Along with most other talkSPORT listeners mate. :p
  • Options
    HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found him to be so vapid and vacuous when he's filled in on talkSPORT, he's very smarmy but offers little beyond sneering at people.
    He used to edit Heat magazine. What else do you need to know about him? Once you know that, you don't even need to hear him.
  • Options
    HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hawksbee and Jacobs have Bob Wilson on today as I'm typing this, and Hawksbee has just said something complimentary about Wenger, who he has met a couple of times. Obviously H&J do virtually everything far better than anyone else on the station, but they're always very even-handed with Arsenal, even though Hawksbee is a Spurs fan and Jacobs supports Chelsea.

It made me wonder...why is the rest of the station obsessed with slagging Arsenal and Wenger off? Is it some sort of inferiority complex with someone who they recognise to be intellectually and culturally superior, not to mention more successful? Is it because Wenger is one manager who generally doesn't get dragged into disputes and slagging people off, and this doesn't compute with them? I don't think it can be just because he won't go on the station; that's really more a result of their behaviour.

Does anyone actually know why they do it? I've got no intention of listening to any of the other programmes, but when I have given them a chance it's just been a massive turn-off.
  • Options
    RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I get a selfish kick of pleasure when Liverpool, Newcastle and Coventry lose because I know Quinn will be gutted and probably lost money.

What a wonderfully joyous and happy attitude you have to life.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Aye, well at least I post about Talksport and not other posters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Billy, Bill, William.

I just want to wish you all the best in your new home, elsewhere on this forum.

Obviously you've been banging the drum for talkSPORT to return to the old talkRADIO format and now you've got the new talkRADIO to listen to / obsess over / complain about I presume you'll be leaving talkSPORT, the radio station you hate with a deep-seated passion, behind.

Go safely, sir. God bless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye, well at least I post about Talksport and not other posters.

Congratulations on that, well done ;-)
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hawksbee and Kelly being Spurs Fans means absolutely nothing. Been disgusted with the pair of them talking up Poch being tapped up by MU and assuming he's definitely going there. Should be ASHAMED! >:(

Nice to hear James Corden on with Goldstein and Cundy last night talking about Wet Spam. Nice bloke. Unlike the rancid Noel Gallagher. Was a good listen.......till that drug addled eejit producer started his 'turn'. So not remotely funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HANDJFAN wrote: »
    Hawksbee and Jacobs have Bob Wilson on today as I'm typing this, and Hawksbee has just said something complimentary about Wenger, who he has met a couple of times. Obviously H&J do virtually everything far better than anyone else on the station, but they're always very even-handed with Arsenal, even though Hawksbee is a Spurs fan and Jacobs supports Chelsea.

It made me wonder...why is the rest of the station obsessed with slagging Arsenal and Wenger off? Is it some sort of inferiority complex with someone who they recognise to be intellectually and culturally superior, not to mention more successful? Is it because Wenger is one manager who generally doesn't get dragged into disputes and slagging people off, and this doesn't compute with them? I don't think it can be just because he won't go on the station; that's really more a result of their behaviour.

Does anyone actually know why they do it? I've got no intention of listening to any of the other programmes, but when I have given them a chance it's just been a massive turn-off.

I think it's the bit I've highlighted in your post plus obviously they hammer him day and night so why would he want to go on it, and the more he ignores them the more they hammer him even further.

I would bet money all the slagging he gets on talkSPORT does not bother him one little bit simply because like many he knows it's a joke of a station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I do even more when a team of Quinn's loses I first of all suddenly brighten up no end, then I smile, then I break out into loud laughter and do a sort of Indian rain dance in the middle of the living room floor waving my hands high in the air shouting "Quinny's lost again, Quinny's lost again Quinny's lost again".

I get strange looks off the wife but it makes me feel good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy, Bill, William.

I just want to wish you all the best in your new home, elsewhere on this forum.

Obviously you've been banging the drum for talkSPORT to return to the old talkRADIO format and now you've got the new talkRADIO to listen to / obsess over / complain about I presume you'll be leaving talkSPORT, the radio station you hate with a deep-seated passion, behind.

Go safely, sir. God bless.

But you forget one important thing RightHand my work here is not yet complete. :(

Yes I've single-handedly brought back talkRADIO for everyone, the movement and I have after all these years of fighting and campaigning got the reward my leadership always demanded but the planned end conclusion is yet to be fulfilled so my purpose on this forum can be called justified in the years ahead long after I'm gone.

The end conclusion being TS1 driven into the ground financially with only a few hundred listeners like you left listening, the guilty presenters led out to a guillotine on the station car park and summarily publicly executed for crimes against broadcasting before the station building is burnt down to the ground bulldozed and landscaped and left as a peace garden and memorial park.
  • Options
    Tony MahoneyTony Mahoney Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey it's all true. :o

>>>> bit.ly/1LdVraR <<<<

He'll soon feel right at home working for UTV. :D

Hi, can I ask you to explain exactly what you mean by this?

Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, can I ask you to explain exactly what you mean by this?

Cheers.

Hi Tom,
    I'd sooner explain it this way.

>>> http://bit.ly/20p0Pi8 <<<

>>> http://bit.ly/1LdVraR <<<
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A copy of the plan for the area.
    [for RightHandPillar]

>>> http://bit.ly/20p1WOT <<<
  • Options
    JerrynJerryn Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Can any of you guys tell me who sings the Headlines song played on Mike Graham's Extra Time about 5.30 each morning just before he discusses the back pages. Google and Spotify have not been my friend on this one. Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerryn wrote: »
    Can any of you guys tell me who sings the Headlines song played on Mike Graham's Extra Time about 5.30 each morning just before he discusses the back pages. Google and Spotify have not been my friend on this one. Cheers

Just jumped to the relevant bit of this morning's show on talkSPORT Listen Again and Shazamed it, the song's called Headlines and it's by John Fogerty.
  • Options
    JerrynJerryn Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Cheers Diff. Much appreciated. Been bugging me for weeks
  • Options
    Tony MahoneyTony Mahoney Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Tom,
    I'd sooner explain it this way.

>>> http://bit.ly/20p0Pi8 <<<

>>> http://bit.ly/1LdVraR <<<

I don't really see a connection to be honest.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durhams team pumped tonight, but why was it on BBC 1 & 5live, plus TS 1 ..... ??? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Durhams team pumped tonight, but why was it on BBC 1 & 5live, plus TS 1 ..... ??? :confused:

I wouldn't say they were pumped - Peterborough took West Bromwich Albion, from two divisions above them, to penalties and during the 120 minutes I thought they were the better side. I thought Michael Bostwick in particular was outstanding for the Posh - he really caught my eye when I saw him at Walsall earlier this season too. He breaks up the play well but is quite tidy on the ball and good at starting attacks, I think he'd get into any side in League One and quite a few higher up too.

As for why the match was on BBC One plus both national radio stations that hold FA Cup rights - they all held rights to the match, so decided to broadcast it. Simple enough really.

Jerryn, glad to have helped, although all I did was give it a Shazam. It's a tremendous app for identifying music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caught fifteen minutes of the Posh boss on Drive and what a decent and smart guy he sounded. Did not catch his name but he talks well and if he can manage a team as well as he an present himself then he will go far.
This discussion has been closed.