Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 67)

Comments

• Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Please don't mention Frankie again! They had a flop Wednesday drama. Remember The Interceptor? We won't mention that again either!

With ITV/Channel 4 drama you'd expect a lot of recorded viewing to skip commercials. Humans did very well in 28 day numbers, but the largest 28 day timeshifts have been for BBC1 dramas. No idea why.

Yes, I remember The Interceptor. Was a great drama series. I'm guessing there isn't going to be another series? Shame it didn't do better but male-skewing drama never seems to do so on BBC1 or ITV, although some can carve out a respectable audience on more niche channels like Mad Dogs on Sky 1 did a few years back.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we don't here much about the 28 day numbers for ITV dramas because we don't really get them, as unless they make the HD top 10 then we don't get the numbers. You can approximate using SD only but it is difficult to piece the numbers together, particularly as HD tends to timeshift a little more (proportionately) than SD.

From memory, Unforgotten was adding around 1m in the 28 day numbers. Safe House was also a big 28 day timeshifter.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    Yes, I remember The Interceptor. Was a great drama series. I'm guessing there isn't going to be another series? Shame it didn't do better but male-skewing drama never seems to do so on BBC1 or ITV, although some can carve out a respectable audience on more niche channels like Mad Dogs on Sky 1 did a few years back.

I can't believe that The Night Manager skews female, however much Tom Hiddlestone flashes his bum. It's John Le Carre, write of MAN-BOOKS!!!

Women, know your place (as Harry Enfield once said). Stop watching television all the time and get a life. (This paragraph is null and void if TNM is a male-skewing drama, as it bloody well should be.)
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Can't remember if Waterloo Road was on Tuesdays, that was a flop particularly when the school was moved to Scotland with no perceptible change in the curriculum.

What does the curriculum have to do with Waterloo Road
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we know how Bill Turnbull's new quiz show is getting on?

Also does anyone know how The Chase is getting on, it was in front of Pointless last time they were mentioned.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Night Manager was always going to do well but it's done better than the similarly big budget War and Peace although that was a solid hit as well. It's a shame that the fact it's based on a novel and a cast that likely have other commitments, they wouldn't be able to do a follow up but I think another Le Carre adaptation with a starry cast could be on the cards
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    The Night Manager was always going to do well but it's done better than the similarly big budget War and Peace although that was a solid hit as well. It's a shame that the fact it's based on a novel and a cast that likely have other commitments, they wouldn't be able to do a follow up but I think another Le Carre adaptation with a starry cast could be on the cards

I'm surprised at how well The Night Manager has done. It has rated better than several 9pm dramas in that Sunday slot. Ripper Street, Last Tango In Halifax, The Casual Vacancy, Poldark, Upstairs Downstairs and War & Peace have had that slot.

8m every week which is something the other dramas mentioned above didn't manage. The finale could be very popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised at how well The Night Manager has done. It has rated better than several 9pm dramas in that Sunday slot. Ripper Street, Last Tango In Halifax, The Casual Vacancy, Poldark, Upstairs Downstairs and War & Peace have had that slot.

8m every week which is something the other dramas mentioned above didn't manage. The finale could be very popular.

Did Poldark and Last Tango not get quite close to those figures
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Did Poldark and Last Tango not get quite close to those figures

Poldark has a high of 8.7m but it didn't get 8m four weeks in a row, Last Tango never went over 8m. The Musketeers launched with over 9m and dropped after that.

What is it about The Night Manager that has made it keep viewers even with no Call The Midwife lead-in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poldark has a high of 8.7m but it didn't get 8m four weeks in a row, Last Tango never went over 8m. The Musketeers launched with over 9m and dropped after that.

What is it about The Night Manager that has made it keep viewers even with no Call The Midwife lead-in?

Each ep is like a movie and the cast is good
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A landmark drama, big budget and I imagine the strength of Countryfile at 7pm has only influencd viewers to stay on BBC1 throughout the evening.

Countryfile has gained new viewers (8.7m) not long ago thanks to uber flop Beowulf. It all helps.

But I think having one big drama after another helps.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Each ep is like a movie and the cast is good

I think the casting is a key component, Tom Hiddleston has a huge fanbase thanks to his role as Loki but I would say Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman would have drawn in viewers as well.

Making it a co-production with AMC means they could afford such a great cast as well as filming it in exotic locations. The BBC have always done co-productions but I think it's become necessary to have some sort of partners to make these sort of dramas nowadays
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »

One of the actors from The Night Manager, David Harewood was on The One Show the other night and he said there are talks for a second series of The Night Manager as this series has proved so popular. I can't believe the first episode timeshifted over 10 million! That's an incredible number.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contrary to earlier reports it is now being said Sarah Lancashire is eager to do series 3 of Happy Valley (Daily Express and others)
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ep1 of TNM was high in the iPlayer charts (top 5) for almost all 30 days that it was available as well...

K
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    ep1 of TNM was high in the iPlayer charts (top 5) for almost all 30 days that it was available as well...

K

We're on an extended holiday and have downloaded each episode twice (tablet/laptop) using a VPN (along with Happy Valley and Shetland).

Wonder what percentage of iPlayer downloads are from abroad?

Luckily, we've got ITV Encore, so no need to be 'dodgy' with ITV dramas, as they'll be repeated pretty quickly after our return.

With BBC stuff, when it's gone it's gone.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    We're on an extended holiday and have downloaded each episode twice (tablet/laptop) using a VPN (along with Happy Valley and Shetland).

Wonder what percentage of iPlayer downloads are from abroad?

Luckily, we've got ITV Encore, so no need to be 'dodgy' with ITV dramas, as they'll be repeated pretty quickly after our return.

With BBC stuff, when it's gone it's gone.

Well sometimes ;)

I wonder if the final episode of The Night Manager is going to be affected by the blu ray of the complete series being available online *in places that we are not allowed to discuss on here*
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was one of the few that liked it. Outcasts was a big flop, the Survivors remake lost viewers on Tuesdays too.

2nd series of Survivors lost out on viewers because it took them nearly 2 years to get round to showing it after the first. Line of Duty and Happy Valley might get with that but convoluted Sci Fi won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good point in the Radio Times article about C4 losing the future rights before they've even shown their first live race!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-23/sky-sports-secure-exclusive-rights-to-formula-1-from-2019-ending-full-free-to-air-coverage

C4 might not even exist in 3 years the way the government is behaving let alone not showing F1.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    C4 might not even exist in 3 years the way the government is behaving let alone not showing F1.

For me personally, C4 went on a bit of a downhill once they ditched Big Brother. Yes they have had a number of successes since, but it's not the channel it once was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    For me personally, C4 went on a bit of a downhill once they ditched Big Brother. Yes they have had a number of successes since, but it's not the channel it once was.

Yes well i'm sure some people still miss the red triangle sex fests from its glory days heh
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    MasterChef: 4.79m (23.8%)
    This Farming Life: 1.48m (7.8%)
    Horizon: 1.11m (5.5%)
    Employable Me: 1.22m (6.0%)
    Chef v Science: the Ultimate Kitchen Challenge: 0.44m (2.3%)
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    Yes well i'm sure some people still miss the red triangle sex fests from its glory days heh

Well I was going more with that Big Brother made money for them up to a point which could be reinvested and propped up other programmes for years, granted not in its last few years, but was still a beast and a talking point for the channel.
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    The Supervet: 1.89m (9.4%)
    24 Hours in A&E: 1.91m (9.4%)
    Raised by Wolves: 0.79m (4.9%)
    GPs: behind Closed Doors: 1.07m (5.3%)
    Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords: 0.83m (4.1%)
    excluding +1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd series of Survivors lost out on viewers because it took them nearly 2 years to get round to showing it after the first. Line of Duty and Happy Valley might get with that but convoluted Sci Fi won't.

Was it that long between series? I enjoyed Survivors. Frustratingly it ended on a cliffhanger.
This discussion has been closed.