Options

BBC4 Y Gwyll / Hinterland

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    On Points of View today they mentioned each scene is shot twice - first in Welsh then in English. Do the actors get paid twice ?

I doubt it, but I bet all the ancillary staff on an hourly rate, like the idea.

It's a nonsense really. Why not just have the English version transmitted as it's already been shown in Welsh?

It's just the BBC going through the motions. The English version contains just enough Welsh (presumably to satisfy some ridiculous criteria) but not enough, to totally put people off and reduce the ratings.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,751
    Forum Member
    dafydd wrote: »
    There are also a lot of common words which were imported around the same time in Welsh and English but have been adapted to each language. Most conversational Welsh will include a lot of words that you might recognise because they are common words across the world not just in English.
    I was thinking more about words like "mobile phone".
  • Options
    tim123tim123 Posts: 3,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's an outsider/insider thing? As in Tom isn't one of them, he speaks English but Marad is one of them so they're more likely to listen to her.
    Just a thought :D

Except that he, presumably, does speak Welsh in the Welsh original

I wonder that that scene panned out in the Welsh version

tim
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no such thing as a pure language, Welsh or English. There are lot of words in Welsh you might not understand but were imported from English centuries ago or even earlier French or Latin. A lot of 'English' words are imported from French, German and other languages around the world, particularly from the former British Empire.

There are also a lot of common words which were imported around the same time in Welsh and English but have been adapted to each language. Most conversational Welsh will include a lot of words that you might recognise because they are common words across the world not just in English.
    gomezz wrote: »
    I was thinking more about words like "mobile phone".

Didn't there used to be bodies that approved new words for items like that so one came up with 'Telewele' for 'Television' and the other 'Teledu'. BBC using Telewele and ITV using Teledu.

There is of course 'popty ping' also.

Welsh is short of swear words, one year I had an ardent Welsh nationalist living in the room next to me. He had very little to do with non-Welsh students and if he did deign to speak to us then it would be a stream of Welsh but punctuated frequently by the usual Anglo-Saxon swear words. The following year I had Dafydd Ellis Thomas next door, much nicer person.
  • Options
    dafydddafydd Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Didn't there used to be bodies that approved new words for items like that so one came up with 'Telewele' for 'Television' and the other 'Teledu'. BBC using Telewele and ITV using Teledu.
    No. Words are made up anyone (as in other languages). Some are adopted naturally and others don't. Some terms are standardised e.g. for use in official translations by public bodies or in schools/colleges, otherwise it's. A standard term has a higher chance of being used but not necessarily if colloquial terms are already popular in conversations.

Telewele was just the name of a TV programme. Some academics originally described a television set as "teledydd" and the medium as "teledu" but the latter eventually became used to describe both.
    There is of course 'popty ping' also.
    Also not real, but invented on a kids show.
    Welsh is short of swear words, one year I had an ardent Welsh nationalist living in the room next to me.

There are lots of swear words if you know them. This website has a large list of sweary words/phrases (although like the urbandictionary, a lot of them are invented by one person and not commonly known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Words are made up anyone (as in other languages). Some are adopted naturally and others don't. Some terms are standardised e.g. for use in official translations by public bodies or in schools/colleges, otherwise it's. A standard term has a higher chance of being used but not necessarily if colloquial terms are already popular in conversations.

Telewele was just the name of a TV programme. Some academics originally described a television set as "teledydd" and the medium as "teledu" but the latter eventually became used to describe both.

Also not real, but invented on a kids show.

There are lots of swear words if you know them. This website has a large list of sweary words/phrases (although like the urbandictionary, a lot of them are invented by one person and not commonly known.
    I think there some academics who tried to produce approved new words rather like the Académie Française does in France. They had no official status but liked to think that they did.

Popty ping might have been invented but widely used and in common usage a friend got a job in Weatherspoons and used ti described himself as a 'Popty ping operative'.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,973
    Forum Member
    Words likd 'popty ping' (microwave) and pysgodyn wibli wobli (jellyfish) are jocular inventions originally made for a TV programme.

It grates a bit when people proudly churn these out - it just perpetuates the idea that the language is a kind of joke or a novelty.

The actual respective words are 'ffwrn meicrodon' and 'slefren fôr'.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,973
    Forum Member
    I think there some academics who tried to produce approved new words rather like the Académie Française does in France. They had no official status but liked to think that they did.

I think the introduction of new words in Welsh happens by osmosis more than anything.

Take the word for 'website'. Someone somewhere came up with 'safwe', and someone else somewhere else came up with 'gwefan'.
    For a while you saw and heard both being used, until gradually 'gwefan' became predominant. Usage is the final arbiter of which new words make it.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim123 wrote: »
    Except that he, presumably, does speak Welsh in the Welsh original

I've not seen the Welsh original, but I'm guessing that Tom Mathias, being English, drafted in from an English police force, still speaks English but with Welsh subtitles added.

Perhaps someone in the know can confirm this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I think the introduction of new words in Welsh happens by osmosis more than anything.

Take the word for 'website'. Someone somewhere came up with 'safwe', and someone else somewhere else came up with 'gwefan'.
    For a while you saw and heard both being used, until gradually 'gwefan' became predominant. Usage is the final arbiter of which new words make it.

Someone was probably writing letters to the Daily Telegraph about people calling the 'hand operated electric powered vacuum cleaner' a 'hoover'. There are some people who call a 'telephone'. a 'phone'. No standards some people. :)
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a poor "special" episode to start us off, things have been steadily improving. I still think there's far too much angst though. Lighten it up a wee bit, please.
  • Options
    dafydddafydd Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I've not seen the Welsh original, but I'm guessing that Tom Mathias, being English, drafted in from an English police force, still speaks English but with Welsh subtitles added..

He is clearly written that way (and the scripts are originally written in English) but the Welsh version is entirely in Welsh, apart from an occasional scene in English such as with Mathias's wife. The Welsh version is annoying in that it doesn't make much sense based on how the character of Mathias was originally written, but is also necessary. Since the majority of scenes involve Mathias, if he was a monoglot English speaker, then most of the programme would be in English too, and S4C wouldn't be able to justify financing or showing such a programme.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    After a poor "special" episode to start us off, things have been steadily improving. I still think there's far too much angst though. Lighten it up a wee bit, please.

I don't watch it for the comedy - the more grim a crime drama is the better! :D

It's a slow burner but still very watchable - at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    60 minutes is being very generous in relation to last night's episode. I'd say less than 30 minutes of story and the remainder repetitive and tedious faffing about.

I would hate watching TV with some of you. The shows about murder, which if you hadn't realised it is a grim business. What do you want Peter Kay popping up at intervals cracking a few jokes?

I'm sure a diary entry from a weeks viewing from some of you would be quite an education.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    60 minutes is being very generous in relation to last night's episode. I'd say less than 30 minutes of story and the remainder repetitive and tedious faffing about.
    Faust wrote: »
    I would hate watching TV with some of you. The shows about murder, which if you hadn't realised it is a grim business. What do you want Peter Kay popping up at intervals cracking a few jokes?

I'm sure a diary entry from a weeks viewing from some of you would be quite an education.

The FM hasn't said anything about lightening the drama with jokes, so I don't know where that Peter Kay reference comes into it.
    Repetitive and tedious are the words used, I'd agree with them I downloaded an episode off Iplayer and I wouldn't go back for more.

As for the diary thing, Yes some of us have noticed how much brighter you seem to think you are, than the rest of us who don't rate dramas you do.
    It's failing to convince anyone though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The FM hasn't said anything about lightening the drama with jokes, so I don't know where that Peter Kay reference comes into it.
    Repetitive and tedious are the words used, I'd agree with them I downloaded an episode off Iplayer and I wouldn't go back for more.

As for the diary thing, Yes some of us have noticed how much brighter you seem to think you are, than the rest of us who don't rate dramas you do.
    It's failing to convince anyone though.

But you are someone that can't follow Scandi/Nordic noir either - by your own admission, so you were always going to struggle with a similar genre. Why you say the Swedish Wallander is full of holes I find mystifying.

Grittiness clearly isn't your thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't watch it for the comedy - the more grim a crime drama is the better! :D

It's a slow burner but still very watchable - at least in my opinion.

I'm with you 100% - very watchable, very well written. :)
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the dreadful episode 2 weeks ago with all the repetitive nonsense with Mathias's wife etc I wasn't going to watch it again but someone told me last week's was quite good so I watched last night's episode and it was reasonably good, despite more irrelevant nonsense about Mathias's past shoe-horned into the middle of the story around the hour mark.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »

No, it's because it all seems so unnaturally grim. You usually find that people in those kind of jobs have a pretty black sense of humour, they need it to survive. Then there's the fact that practically all the characters, even those disconnected with the crime, seem constantly depressed. Is it really that bad living in Wales ? :)
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain who the character was (not in the cast list) who Mathias chased in the caravan park and ended up confronting in the closed bar (or whatever it was)? This man was also known to Prosser.

He may have appeared in series 1, but I have pretty much forgotten all of that.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain who the character was (not in the cast list) who Mathias chased in the caravan park and ended up confronting in the closed bar (or whatever it was)? This man was also known to Prosser.

I can't fully remember myself but this was the nonsense I was referring to in my previous post clumsily shoe-horned into the middle of the story. For those who hadn't seen series 1 they must have wondered what the Hell was going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't fully remember myself but this was the nonsense I was referring to in my previous post clumsily shoe-horned into the middle of the story. For those who hadn't seen series 1 they must have wondered what the Hell was going on.

I think that is the point, I don't think they have ever fully explained it.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could have done with a "Previously on Hinterland..." at the beginning. TV Tropes says that "Iwan Thomas was the police officer who investigated child abuse claims at Devil's Bridge Children's Home ("Girl In The Water")."
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's not nonsense, there's a thread running through the series. They are stand alone storylines but there is nonetheless a thread. Bet you're struggling with Marcella too?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so slow and boring I fell asleep watching it last night.
    I can't be assed to go back to my recording and find where I dozed off, to finish watching it.