Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

Life was so much simpler when we just had one BBC channel, the Racing Post and the ladies at the telephone exchange who gave us the Brighton result when we rang the operator number........:cool:

Buuuuuut...... Could you watch the US Open Peter? :D

Going back to the Petch / Castle debate, as someone who watches a lot of Tennis I can't stand Petchy, every single passing shot is greeted with "HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE" or "MY WORD THATS ONE OF THE GREATEST WINNERS" etc.. Every.Single.Time. Fantastic for the Sky Sports sound bites, but horrific if you watch matches for their duration.

I don't mind him as a studio pundit though.

At least with Castle he's only on for about 4/5 Weeks of the year and he's just about bearable for that period.
  • Options
    Peter BrackleyPeter Brackley Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Buuuuuut...... Could you watch the US Open Peter? :D

/QUOTE]

Maybe not, LOSG, but listen, when I was growng up, the only sport we got to see was the chariot race scene from Ben Hur at the cinema. ......with "as live" commentary from Martin Tyler and Murray Walker.

Darkie, I remember, made his TV commentating debut actually live at "slingside" for the David and Goliath fight......
    or as Sky Sports called it on their recent re-run, "The Super Sunday Sandal Showdown!"

:):)
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,574
    Forum Member
    I know we have drifted off Football Commentators a tad but, with regard to tennis commentators, I rate Simon Reed and Chris Bradnam for their insight into the game on Eurosport. I like it when, for Wimbledon, the BBC assembles talen from other networks including Eurosport and the Tennis Channel.

Back on topic, I am in a minority I know when I say I like Jonathan Pearce. He is probably better on radio but I find his knowledge and ability to communicate it is very good indeed.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    I

Back on topic, I am in a minority I know when I say I like Jonathan Pearce. He is probably better on radio but I find his knowledge and ability to communicate it is very good indeed.

JP was fantastic on 5live, his commentaries were brilliant, he did not go off on strange tangents, he just commentated on the match, i loved how excited he got it,and you could hear the passion in his voice. Maybe he thought it was a step up going to BBC TV, but for me he has been an abysmal BBC TV Commentator, yes he is good in very short spurts, but apart from that he is awful.

What a waste of a talent.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pearce was at his best alongside Tony Gale on Capital Gold during the nineties. Now those were some passionate commentaries.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Liverpool 9-0 Palace is one of Pearce's standout commentaries. I'm sure he did Anfield 89 too.
    JP was fantastic on 5live, his commentaries were brilliant, he did not go off on strange tangents, he just commentated on the match, i loved how excited he got it,and you could hear the passion in his voice. Maybe he thought it was a step up going to BBC TV, but for me he has been an abysmal BBC TV Commentator, yes he is good in very short spurts, but apart from that he is awful.

What a waste of a talent.
    Probably the only commentator who can get away with saying 'delicious' to describe a chip (no pun intended) or pass. :p
  • Options
    chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From her Twitter/Instagram, it looks like Hayley McQueen is presenting the Premier League games on Sky Ireland.
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dortmund Vs Man City

Martin Tyler and Davie Provan.
  • Options
    digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete.
  • Options
    TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Details for the first week of the PL on the BBC released:

* Eilidh Barbour will be presenting Football Focus, looks like there will be no times changes as the programe runs from 12:10pm-12:50pm.

* Jacqui Oatley presenting Final Score from 4pm-5:20pm on BBC Two.

* MOTD will be presented by Gary Lineker as normal, MOTD will still be on BBC One during the Olympics.

* Manish Bhasin will be presenting MOTD2 from 10:30pm-11:30pm. No details about MOTD2 Extra yet.

Presumbly these changes will be only for the first two weeks while the Olympics are on but some changes to watch for.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New co-comm for Sky's PL coverage next season.

Jamie Carragher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jamie Carragher.

That's really surprising. I wonder if that means Neville isn't returning.

With Sky using UHD, will that mean a separate commentary team?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jamie Carragher.

Hmm. That should be interesting :p.
  • Options
    loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,113
    Forum Member
    Looks like he will be trialed on Irish games.

McQueen and Quinn the presenting duo for Irish games

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/jamie-carragher-will-have-a-new-role-at-sky-sports-next-season/88892
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DELETE

Full line up details due to be announced a week on Monday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering his first game isn't until the second week and on a Irish-only channel I wouldn't rule out Neville returning, in fact there has already been multiple reports over the last few months that he is returning. Another point is that I would have though NI viewers will not be the only ones hearing Carragher, he commentary is likely to feature on Match Choice/Game Of The Day.

Like BT I would expect Sky to need a second commentary team for UHD games as the main lot would not be able to keep track of all the moniters and cameras, if it means hearing more Bill Leslie, Daniel Mann and co then I am up for it, Carragher could also be used for UHD games. However it could be that Sky film the whole game/programe in UHD and downscale them to 1080p for HD viewers meaning we would get the same broadcast no matter what quality we are watching in.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Like BT I would expect Sky to need a second commentary team for UHD games as the main lot would not be able to keep track of all the moniters and cameras, if it means hearing more Bill Leslie, Daniel Mann and co then I am up for it, Carragher could also be used for UHD games. However it could be that Sky film the whole game/programe in UHD and downscale them to 1080p for HD viewers meaning we would get the same broadcast no matter what quality we are watching in.

Sky have already confirmed that it will be a UHD production downscaled to HD, so only one commentary team per match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »
    Sky have already confirmed that it will be a UHD production downscaled to HD, so only one commentary team per match.

Ah ok that's good, sort of unsurprising. Wonder if the same will apply to BT Sport.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 28th July - BT Sport 2

Live UEFA Europa League Qualifier: NK Domzale v West Ham United

Darrell Currie presenting from the studio alongside Trevor Sinclair and David James

Commentators: Derek Rae and Clive Allen

It appears as if BT Sport 2 are taking interviews from the Slovenian host broadcaster.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    The relevant quote about production is here: http://svgeurope.org/blog/headlines/31945/
    “The UHD offering to the customer is not a dedicated channel,” said Keith Lane, Sky Sports, Director of Operations, talking to SVG Europe at The Open Championship in Royal Troon. “The reasoning is, if you remember when we launched 3D we had a dedicated 3D channel with a separate production. A separate production was really good to ensure we weren’t compromising on getting good 3D. But the negative was you sometimes didn’t have the editorial cameras where you wanted them and the analysis was sometimes less than your main HD.”

So the goal, says Lane, is to make sure that the UHD audience doesn’t have compromised camera angles and talent.

“We want to make sure it is a high-end customer offering; it should not be detrimental as a result of us doing UHD,” says Lane. “In Sky Q there’s a Sports homepage and there’s a UHD page which sits behind the normal channel. If for example you’re watching Sky Sports 1 there will be a pop-up that says ‘UHD coverage available’ and it takes you in there.”

The desire to avoid compromising the production also means it’s going to be a hybrid and unified HD/UHD production.

“There will be some 1080p 50 cameras that we need to upconvert, as the native 4K ones aren’t there,” says Lane. “Also, it’s going to be quite difficult to do all workflows in trucks in a native 4K format. The view is that you try to keep as much native as you can — then there’s a certain amount of conversion that has to happen. We’ve got that journey to go through over the next 18 months or so, to get to where we need to be.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering his first game isn't until the second week and on a Irish-only channel I wouldn't rule out Neville returning, in fact there has already been multiple reports over the last few months that he is returning. Another point is that I would have though NI viewers will not be the only ones hearing Carragher, he commentary is likely to feature on Match Choice/Game Of The Day.

Massive pedantic alert...

It's not an Irish-only channel; Saturday 3pms will be an (Republic of) Irish-exclusive presentation on a channel that is available in all British and Irish homes. The separate streams already exist - there are Irish ads versions of each of the Sky Sports channels (apart from F1).

In your scenario Northern Irish viewers will only hear Carragher's commentary for the first time at the same time as the rest of the UK. The Irish 3pms will be available in the Republic only.
  • Options
    Peter BrackleyPeter Brackley Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »

I

Can't remember if anyone's identified the new Football League match presenter on here?:confused:

If not, I can tell you now....or not, if you'd rather carry on guessing?!:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't remember if anyone's identified the new Football League match presenter on here?:confused:

If not, I can tell you now....or not, if you'd rather carry on guessing?!:cool:

Do tell... Do tell....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems we may get less Niall Quinn on our coverage then.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    - Think someone previously suggested the Sat 3pm Irish live PL games would go on SS5 in Ireland - if so this would fit with the above. There's no live sport on SS5 on Sat afternoon - just WWE Wrestling.
    sat-ire wrote: »
    Soccer Saturday moving to Sky Sports 1 suggests that they very likely plan to run the Irish games on Sky Sports 1 in Ireland - which would, of course, keep all of the live PL football on that channel.

They are not likely to drop non-simulcast programming on another channel - whether live or not - when Soccer Saturday runs on two channels.

It was me who originally suggested Sky Sports 5 for the same reasons that I then became convinced it would be on Sky Sports 1; the fact that Soccer Saturday - on Sky Sports 5 last season - is a simulcast. Anybody who has SS1 also has SSNews

I'm particularly surprised they've gone for Sky Sports 5 for their Irish-exclusive content but Sky have a habit of surprising.
    Is Sky Sports 5 missing from some providers in Ireland? Could that be the reason?
    I know nothing about WWE but what about Irish subscribers who are fans of the sport? I assume it's repeated often...

Although Sky are subject to the same quota restrictions (maximum of 5 showings per team) that Setanta were, one massive advantage of the change in broadcaster is that the games on Sky will be covered by commentators who will physically be at the match.

I've also heard that a significant number of commercial premises in Ireland do not have the Setanta Pack; for them the 3pms moving to Sky is an advantage, although I'd be willing to bet that commercial rates have been hiked!
This discussion has been closed.