Football Commentators Thread (Part 18)

1403404405406407409»

Comments

• Options
    Peter BrackleyPeter Brackley Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Peter what was the most dangerous stadium / match you attended in a professional capacity? Be it the state of the gantry or the events on the terraces etc?

Can't really think of any grounds that were a danger, although clambering over the roof in the the wind for a Celtic home game in the CL was a bit scary!
    As was climbing up a ladder at Fleetwood's ground for an FA Cup tie in thick fog with Hartlepool a few years back for ITV.

It was really slippery and I had to carry a large bag in one hand, which made it even more precarious, although at least not as many people witnessed my predicament that day as they did the time I had to reach a makeshift scaffolding gantry built high up on the terrace at Walsall.

I'm really not good with heights, and with this being a long ladder, it took me an eternity to climb up it.:(

There were a quite a lot of spectators already in the ground when I started my ascent, and after a few minutes of watching me struggle, they all started cheering my every faltering step!

I was so relieved to get on to the gantry......although I spent most of the second half wondering how on earth I was going to get back down again!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    It was me who originally suggested Sky Sports 5 for the same reasons that I then became convinced it would be on Sky Sports 1; the fact that Soccer Saturday - on Sky Sports 5 last season - is a simulcast. Anybody who has SS1 also has SSNews

I'm particularly surprised they've gone for Sky Sports 5 for their Irish-exclusive content but Sky have a habit of surprising.
    Is Sky Sports 5 missing from some providers in Ireland? Could that be the reason?
    I know nothing about WWE but what about Irish subscribers who are fans of the sport? I assume it's repeated often...

Although Sky are subject to the same quota restrictions (maximum of 5 showings per team) that Setanta were, one massive advantage of the change in broadcaster is that the games on Sky will be covered by commentators who will physically be at the match.

I've also heard that a significant number of commercial premises in Ireland do not have the Setanta Pack; for them the 3pms moving to Sky is an advantage, although I'd be willing to bet that commercial rates have been hiked!

:confused:
    and I thought Eggheads and University Challenge were hard to follow!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do tell... Do tell....

I am told the daughter of a very famous Scotttish ex-footballer will be joining the shows.......which narrows the field down a bit, and no it's not model Lucy Hansen!
    ;-)
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:
    and I thought Eggheads and University Challenge were hard to follow!!:D

That says more about you than it does about my post, to be fair :p ;-)
  • Options
    digiremotedigiremote Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From earlier:

MLS All Stars v Arsenal - Sky Sports 2.

Commentators: Dan Roebuck and Gary Breen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

agreed!:D

only two hours to go before my nightly battle with Eggheads, thank God they give you you three options for the answers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

agreed!:)
    only two hours to go now before my nightly battle with Eggheads, thank God they give you three options for the answers!
  • Options
    TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am told the daughter of a very famous Scotttish ex-footballer will be joining the shows.......which narrows the field down a bit, and no it's not model Lucy Hansen!
    ;-)

Give me the initial of the first name and second of this ex-footballer, I can't really think of who it because there is too many possibles. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

let's see who gets it first
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Cates?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Hayley McQueen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Kelly Cates?

Or Suzie Souness?
    Lisa Law?
    Betty Bremner?
    Janet Jordan?

You've got it Readingfan.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Suzie Souness?
    Lisa Law?
    Betty Bremner?
    Janet Jordan?

You've got it Readingfan.:cool:

Oh man :o

Surprised to see Kelly Cates involved although considering C5 linked up to Sky for commentary in their evening show It would make sense for her to appear. And good to see a female appointed. :D
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick plug here for the commentators competition which is now live for the 2016/17 season. The more the merrier so whether you're a veteran participant or have never heard of such an atrocity, please do take part. The first game is the EFL opener on Friday 5th August so be quick to get your entry in. Link below:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2169155
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was me who originally suggested Sky Sports 5 for the same reasons that I then became convinced it would be on Sky Sports 1; the fact that Soccer Saturday - on Sky Sports 5 last season - is a simulcast. Anybody who has SS1 also has SSNews

I'm particularly surprised they've gone for Sky Sports 5 for their Irish-exclusive content but Sky have a habit of surprising.
    Is Sky Sports 5 missing from some providers in Ireland? Could that be the reason?
    I know nothing about WWE but what about Irish subscribers who are fans of the sport? I assume it's repeated often...

Although Sky are subject to the same quota restrictions (maximum of 5 showings per team) that Setanta were, one massive advantage of the change in broadcaster is that the games on Sky will be covered by commentators who will physically be at the match.

I've also heard that a significant number of commercial premises in Ireland do not have the Setanta Pack; for them the 3pms moving to Sky is an advantage, although I'd be willing to bet that commercial rates have been hiked!

WWE is repeated often enough on Sky - not sure what shows it is in particular for that slot but the two main shows (Raw and Smackdown) are shown in 1 hour and 2 hour repeat slots across the week anyway on most days . As well as live overnight. And the shows are all available on Sky Go.
    So it's very easy to slot live sport in instead.

Going off-topic again (I seem to be talking about anything except football commentary on here at the moment), WWE is actually a really strong ratings puller for Sky.
    The live shows overnight often get higher ratings than some of the less prominent live sport during the day.

Carragher on commentary will be interesting. I guess the 3pm games exclusive to Ireland are a safe place to begin.
    There was an interesting discussion on here a few weeks back actually about whether pundit or co-commentator is the 'main role' and there's certainly a potential argument that Sky moving Neville before and now maybe Carragher to commentary that co-commentary is actually a pretty high profile role.
    ;-)

From that clue, I was convinced it was Hayley McQueen. Turns out it's Kelly Cates.

Surprised to see her return to Sky - especially since her 5Live commitments seem to be increasing I think too and normally Sky like their personnel to be exclusive to Sky.

A good surprise though - she's a talented presenter and will be fantastic no doubt. And to be honest anyone who regularly presents 606 deserves a medal for having to cope with some of the morons who phone in.

Good to see both her and Kate Abdo will be regularly doing live football on Sky next season (and Hayley McQueen too for Irish viewers).
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kelly Cates is an excellent appointment - she's a very good presenter but more than that she has the depth of football understanding and knowledge required.

I know Natalie Sawyer used to do the L1/L2 games up to a year ago and she was suggested on here before for the main FL role - but I don't think she has the depth of understanding and knowledge to do the job required.

I wonder what will now happen with Minto - Cates presumably won't be doing all FL games as that would be a massive workload (127 live games including play-offs) so will Minto remain FL number 2 or will he do an equal share of games with Cates or maybe they'll each have specific days? Can't remember - what days does Cates work for R5L?

Also, who will do the League Cup? If Stelling is only doing the (maximum) 10 live Friday PL games then I think it would be good if he started doing the League Cup again - it usually delivers quite a few big clashes and the League Cup Final is often now Sky's highest rating game of the entire year.

However, if Thomas is just doing Sat PL that's a pretty light workload (ie only 28 games per year) so I suspect he might keep the League Cup. He might also start doing more WC qualifiers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I d.

I wonder what will now happen with Minto - rQUOTE]

Still presenting FL games...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I d.

I wonder what will now happen with Minto - rQUOTE]

Still presenting FL games...........

More? :D
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    With the new role for Kelly Cates does it mean she will leave 6-0-6 or will she carry on doing it as there isn't a regular clash. Also has there been an announcement about who will replace Darren Fletcher on 6-0-6?
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Neville has tonight retweeted an advert (think for the hotel he involved in) for the Manchester Derby where says he is doing a pre q and a session. I know things can change but if going back to Sky you would imagine he be on this game and unless the q and a hours before he wouldn't do both. I suspect we won't be seeing him back at Sky soon. However I really hope I am wrong!!!
  • Options
    irishmikeeirishmikee Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    Looks like he will be trialed on Irish games.

McQueen and Quinn the presenting duo for Irish games

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/jamie-carragher-will-have-a-new-role-at-sky-sports-next-season/88892

Pity, I thought Rachel Wyse would have been a better option to present these games.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The initial BBC listing for 606 say Will Perry is with Robbie Savage on Saturday. He's really bland so I hope it's just cover with the actual presenter away on Olympic duty
  • Options
    loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    I'd expect presenters to be aligned to international teams again. Thomas for Wales, McQueen for Ireland. I'd expect Jones not to do any, bar maybe England going forward.

Next league cup present tricky. In order of likelihood, which given my record means nothing, I'd go Thomas, cates, McQueen (more likely if job share), stelling

Could be a job share

Continued here: Football Commentators Thread (Part 19)
This discussion has been closed.