Options

Ordinary voters would love the current Labour Parties ideas

Comments

• Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    Every one of a right mind would rather see the Trident cost spent on social need.

If it's part of the budget that NATO members commit to spending on defence the cost of Trident would go on aircraft, tanks, or some other area of defence instead...not housing, the NHS or the needy, so are these supposedly right minded folk also looking for us to pull out of NATO?

Would be a lovely world if there wasn't a need for armies and the like but unfortunately that's not the world we live in.
  • Options
    bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were allowed to hear them without the accompanying deeply negative commentary from just about every media outlet and those with vested interests.

As things stand, most people who take only a casual interest in politics would think Corbyn was a communist IRA man who advocates lynching the royal family!

Of course, if ordinary voters were actually to hear Labours unadulterated messages about going after the tax cheats, closing the obscene gap between the wealthiest and the rest, bringing in a real living wage, cutting down on interfering in the affairs of sovereign states, seriously investing in infrastructure, job creation, housing, education and the NHS people might actually vote for it in huge numbers! And, of course, those at the very top - the 1%, if you like, wouldn't want that one little bit.

So... punative taxes, withdrawing from foreign affairs which has given UK its worldwide status, investing without explaining where the money is coming from are going to be popular. I think not.
  • Options
    bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They haven't but 'they' have ensured that a hyped up nuclear threat to the UK from Putin, together with continued alarmist reporting on North Korean nuclear testing has created the 'need' for nuclear weapons.

The reality, of course, is that the overwhelming majority of countries don't have nuclear weapons and don't need them.

The arms lobby is a powerful one in this country. But presented with the facts, without the scare mongering, I'm sure that many millions of voters would rather see the Trident money invested in health, education and other public services.

The nuclear deterent has worked for 70+ years. And he wants to lose it on a chance that his ideaa is better. Utter fantasy.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    The nuclear deterent has worked for 70+ years. And he wants to lose it on a chance that his ideaa is better. Utter fantasy.
    If the UK's nuclear deterrent has worked for 70+ years then it worked when the UK had no nuclear weapons:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    If it's part of the budget that NATO members commit to spending on defence the cost of Trident would go on aircraft, tanks, or some other area of defence instead...not housing, the NHS or the needy, so are these supposedly right minded folk also looking for us to pull out of NATO?

Would be a lovely world if there wasn't a need for armies and the like but unfortunately that's not the world we live in.
    Only 5 of the 28 NATO member states fulfil their commitment to spending on defence.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were allowed to hear them without the accompanying deeply negative commentary from just about every media outlet and those with vested interests.

As things stand, most people who take only a casual interest in politics would think Corbyn was a communist IRA man who advocates lynching the royal family!

Of course, if ordinary voters were actually to hear Labours unadulterated messages about going after the tax cheats, closing the obscene gap between the wealthiest and the rest, bringing in a real living wage, cutting down on interfering in the affairs of sovereign states, seriously investing in infrastructure, job creation, housing, education and the NHS people might actually vote for it in huge numbers! And, of course, those at the very top - the 1%, if you like, wouldn't want that one little bit.

Indeed but you have ironically failed to list anything meaningful or with substance. How is Corbyn going to find the money to fund all this 'investment'? Is he going to borrow or print money?

Perhaps he'll ratchet up taxes?

Come back to me when you solved the glaring fund gap....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed but you have ironically failed to list anything meaningful or with substance. How is Corbyn going to find the money to fund all this 'investment'? Is he going to borrow or print money?

The Conservative 2015 election manifesto had a £30 billion black hole in the funding plans. Yet lots of people voted for them.
  • Options
    VacillatoryVacillatory Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    The Conservative 2015 election manifesto had a £30 billion black hole in the funding plans. Yet lots of people voted for them.

That's because they repeated the phrase 'long-term economic plan' non-stop and people believed them. Labour also has a much steeper mountain to climb on issues of economic credibility. It must also learn to condense its messaging and do what the Tories do - project it constantly, until people absorb it.
  • Options
    The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In part QE, same as George Osbourne in 2011 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046243/Debt-crisis-George-Osborne-says-quantitative-easing-shore-economy.html

(Incidentally, supposedly 'financially proficient' chancellor Osborne doubled the national debt in his 6 years in no.11).

As a side note, Obama has used QE several times during his presidency to help keep the economy afloat.

Austerity sure as hell ain't working. Investment is needed and quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's because they repeated the phrase 'long-term economic plan' non-stop and people believed them. Labour also has a much steeper mountain to climb on issues of economic credibility. It must also learn to condense its messaging and do what the Tories do - project it constantly, until people absorb it.

Agree
  • Options
    JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

To be fair, he has said he intends to fund it through printing money - like the QE which bailed the banks out. Cirbynistas say if we can do it to bail out banks, why can't we do it to invest in infrastructure, create jobs and growth etc.

AND he intends to tax higher earners at 50% and go after Amazon, Google et al who do not pay their share of tax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In part QE, same as George Osbourne in 2011 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046243/Debt-crisis-George-Osborne-says-quantitative-easing-shore-economy.html

(Incidentally, supposedly 'financially proficient' chancellor Osborne doubled the national debt in his 6 years in no.11).

As a side note, Obama has used QE several times during his presidency to help keep the economy afloat.

Austerity sure as hell ain't working. Investment is needed and quickly.

Ah, our posts crossed. So here are two people who heard the message.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    So... punative taxes, withdrawing from foreign affairs which has given UK its worldwide status, investing without explaining where the money is coming from are going to be popular. I think not.

Nope. Just going after the dodgepot tax evaders and avoiders that rob public services of vital billions.

Ah, so foreign affairs is just an international dick wagging contest is it? Look where the last few decades of foreign policies have led us. I'd rather see us follow the lead of forward thinking countries like Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland. It's time to park all of the Rule Britannia bollocks.

As for financing a programme of investment? Well, austerity sure as hell isn't working. Time to start borrowing the best bits of Keynesian economics again.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Javed wrote: »
    To be fair, he has said he intends to fund it through printing money - like the QE which bailed the banks out. Cirbynistas say if we can do it to bail out banks, why can't we do it to invest in infrastructure, create jobs and growth etc.

AND he intends to tax higher earners at 50% and go after Amazon, Google et al who do not pay their share of tax.

Yes I've heard him use the term QE loosely but is QE sustainable when you trying to:

1) Nationalise the Railways, The energy market, Remove private healthcare provision from the NHS.

2) Introduce a massive house building program? (which I agree is a priority)

3) To fulfill his various spending pledges across the country? i.e National investment bank, green investment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I've heard him use the term QE loosely but is QE sustainable when you trying to:

1) Nationalise the Railways, The energy market, Remove private healthcare provision from the NHS.

2) Introduce a massive house building program? (which I agree is a priority)

3) To fulfill his various spending pledges across the country? i.e National investment bank, green investment?

Well, that is the million dollar question, to which Corbyn has no answer.

I think his aspirations are reasonable, I just do not trust him or those around him not to mess it up. McDonnell established a panel of economic experts to help him regain Labour's economic credibility ( very good move I thought) but disappointingly, they have all resigned, saying McDonnell et al are impossible to work with, unprofessional and indecisive. That is also what many MPs tell us about Corbyn. So that is the concern, it's not so much his policies I disagree with, on the whole, but his competence.
  • Options
    TracyTracy Posts: 6,229
    Forum Member
    Most people in the UK would agree with Jeremy Corbyn's socially concerned views. If we can get the message out there, then we will find a lot of support - as this clip from The One Show illustrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lsRbDKOXg
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,068
    Forum Member
    Most voters voters will not agree with:

Ditching our nuclear weapons
    Open door immigration policy
    Doing an Merkel and letting in loads of alleged refugees
    Leaving NATO
    Sitting down for talks with ISIS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

Ditching our nuclear weapons
    Open door immigration policy
    Doing an Merkel and letting in loads of alleged refugees
    Leaving NATO

There is also his support for a united Ireland, his attitude to the Falklands, his views on not meeting our obligations to NATO countries under attack, and his total lack of support for business.

The worry for me is his renationalisation of railways. I support the policy but I fear the unions bringing the country's railways to a standstill with never-ending strikes. Corbyn would not be able to stand up to the unions ridiculous pay claims, not would he want to. If he did, we would either have strikes. If he did not, we would have huge pay increases for rail workers and other workers. I think he is too sympathetic to trades unions to run the country wisely.
  • Options
    TracyTracy Posts: 6,229
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

Owen Smith said that. Jeremy took the mickey out of it on Dispatches.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Why would ordinary voters love huge tax rises or a return to the dark days of British Rail?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Neither would anyone else like it. They don't want to be taxed to the hilt so that Corbyn can spend it like water like Labour always does.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only Murdoch had not banned left wing media.

Why, even the simpletons who don't understand Corbyn's utter brilliance would joined us enlightened folk if only positive views of Corbyn were permitted to be heard.

Praise him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Why would ordinary voters love huge tax rises or a return to the dark days of British Rail?
    would? They do.
    The 50% income tax band and the mansion tax both have the support of most voters.
    Rail nationalisation has the support of most voters.
  • Options
    LieteLiete Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the electorate are quite as thick as Corbyn supporters seems to believe. They simply don't buy into his Student Union nonsense politics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    would? They do.
    The 50% income tax band and the mansion tax both have the support of most voters.
    Rail nationalisation has the support of most voters.

I dunno if rail nationalisation would survive scrutiny. As soon as people realised that one Union could bring the whole country's railways to a standstill the support would vanish.