Options

Cover versions better known than the originals

Comments

• Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    You think that's better known than the Tears for Fears version. I don't think so. It maybe more modern but that doesn't mean it's better known.
    Well let's see now. On YouTube, TFF's original - 10,450,155 max. views. GJ,s cover version - 99,859,249 max. views. I rest my case.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    The original only got to number 3, whereas the Jules/Andrews version is famous as probably the most miserable ever Christmas No 1.
    Only?

Getting to No.3 in 1982 was classed as a big hit. Not like these days when if you don't get to No.1 for god knows how long it's a flop.
  • Options
    YorkstarYorkstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Boyzone love me for a reason 94, osmonds with the original.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away.

Paul's version of Wherever I Lay My Heart is better known than Marvin Gaye's original.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madness - One Step Beyond (originally by Prince Buster)
    Status Quo - In The Army Now (originally by Bolland and Bolland)
    Sugababes - Here Come The Girls (originally by Ernie K Doe)
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Together We Are Beautiful . A number 1 hit for Fern Kinney , original version by the writer Ken Leary .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN06N1D8JCI
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think that's better known than the Tears for Fears version. I don't think so. It maybe more modern but that doesn't mean it's better known.

back to the generation thing though isnt it?...
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Damned's 1985 version of 60s hit, Eloise.

Naked Eyes' 1983 version of 60s hit, Always There To Remind Me.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to say Bowie's version of 'Sorrow' from 1973 and The Merseys version from 1966 are better known than the original by The McCoys from 1965.

The Stones version of 'Time is on My Side' is better known than the Irma Thomas original. The same might be said for Cat Stevens 'First Cut is the Deepest' and P.P. Arnold's original.

I wonder through time and recognition that the original versions can become better known again. For example is Gloria Jones original version of 'Tainted Love' as well known now as the later more successful versions by Soft Cell and Marilyn Manson?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney (Boy Meets Girl was the original version)

Didn't Boy Meets Girl write that song for her rather than it being a song originally recorded by them that she then covered? They also wrote another hit of hers: 'How Will I Know'.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles - Twist and Shout
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Heard It Through The Grapevine was originally released by Gladys Knight And The Pips, although most people would know the Marvin Gaye version.

Also Patti Smith Because The Night, originally written and recorded by Springsteen. There was a similar thread a while ago in which there was debate about whether this actually counts as a cover since Bruce hadn't released his version at the time Patti made it popular, although Bruce has performed it live on numerous occasions and one such recording appears on the Live 1975-85 box set.

Also for the country fans, the majority of casual listeners would probably associate Independence Day with Martina McBride rather than Gretchen Peters.
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personaliy prefer The Isley Brothers Shout to Lulu's version. :)
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One really odd one, and I remember it from a similar thread to this, is that the original version of 'Superstition' is actually by Jeff Beck!
  • Options
    TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Boy Meets Girl write that song for her rather than it being a song originally recorded by them that she then covered? They also wrote another hit of hers: 'How Will I Know'.

It was a bit of a dubious selection by me but they did record it (very country sounding) not sure if they released it in some capacity though?

Will Young - Evergreen
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kymberly wrote: »
    I personaliy prefer The Isley Brothers Shout to Lulu's version. :)

So do most people with ears I would imagine
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say Now That We Found Love by Third World is better know than The O'Jays original - please no one mention Heavy D!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aswad - Don't turn around is probably better known than Tina Turner's version.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handbags and Gladrags, both the Rod Stewart and Stereophonics versions.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Aswad - Don't turn around is probably better known than Tina Turner's version.

Thats because i doubt many people even heard Turners version. It was released as a b side only
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the younger generations know Santa Baby by Kylie rather than Eartha Kitt.
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I wonder through time and recognition that the original versions can become better known again. For example is Gloria Jones original version of 'Tainted Love' as well known now as the later more successful versions by Soft Cell and Marilyn Manson?

No, Soft Cell's version is still the best known by far I'd say.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Song To The Siren - I'm most people associate it with This Mortal Coil, rather than Tim Buckley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    back to the generation thing though isnt it?...
    You're probably right.

If both versions are well known you'll probably pick the one you like best and as I think Gary Jules version was the most miserable pile of dross I've heard I'd always go for TFF's version.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternal - Stay
    Dina Carroll - Escaping
    Steps - Last Thing On My Mind
    Another Level - Freak Me
    Bjork - It's Oh So Quiet