May will urge people to give up on "insults"

Comments

• Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    My pleasure.

I've become quite amused by the sight of people publicly displaying their ignorance in semi coherent terms with a sense of pride. It seems to be a badge of honour. Previous to Brexit, I'd have assumed such limitations were not the sort of thing people bragged about, but apparently not.

After all, people buy and read The Sun newspaper in public and seem content to be seen doing so.

Strange world.

Semi coherent. I'm flattered :D
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Getting someone to come around to you way of thinking requires them to be actually capable of thinking in the first place.
    It's that kind of attitude which lost us the vote, well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »

I do wonder if some are shill Brexiters. I did say to aurichie on results morning that he was OK to come out as a Brexiter now (did you see some of his pre-referendum posts :eek:) I just couldn't comprehend that someone spitting so much bile could think they were doing their side any good. It was all an absolute gift for anyone that wanted Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving it seems.
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Well leave supporters are picking on Swedes. I guess so Poles don't feel to special as the targets of xenophobia

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/16/ann-linde-swedish-minister-xenophobia-swedes-uk-brexit
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I do wonder if some are shill Brexiters. I did say to aurichie on results morning that he was OK to come out as a Brexiter now (did you see some of his pre-referendum posts :eek:) I just couldn't comprehend that someone spitting so much bile could think they were doing their side any good. It was all an absolute gift for anyone that wanted Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving it seems.

Go easy.;-) They have Farron-Osborne-Geldof Syndrome (FOG).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Union Jock wrote: »

Give over.

Did you do any campaigning for Remain? I did, and expended considerable effort trying to persuade people of the benefits of remaining.

You can only try to penetrate closed minds for so long before you get cynical.

As for DS, nobody ever changed a single mind on any subject on here.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give over.

Did you do any campaigning for Remain? I did, and expended considerable effort trying to persuade people of the benefits of remaining.

What!! you only had to persuade a million and a half people to vote Remain to get your own way, now how hard can that be??
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Give over.

Did you do any campaigning for Remain? I did,
    and expended considerable effort trying to persuade people of the benefits of remaining.

The reason for the shock result is now revealed.....:D
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D Blustering old windbag turns public away from EU.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hahahaha.

That did make me :D

Wasn't a shock result for me. It's completely what I predicted, only by a narrower margin than I expected.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Hahahaha.

That did make me :D

Wasn't a shock result for me. It's completely what I predicted, only by a narrower margin than I expected.

No, I know.

52% was what I expected the remain vote to come in at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I know.

52% was what I expected the remain vote to come in at.

Same. I thought remain would just shave it until the first few results started coming in and the remain areas weren't quite as remain as expected and the leave areas were more leave than expected.

It wasn't long into the results before I was becoming confident leave would get over the line. Although I still wasn't counting my chickens until later on.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's reversible. Us Brexiters have been told for years, if we don't like it vote for a party that will take us out. So I'll return the favour, if you don't like it vote for a party that will take us back in.

Breathtaking ignorance of the situation. The two scenarios are not at all comparable at all, for reasons already discussed.
  • Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    In which way are your legs lucky?

I'd say they were quite unfortunate, really.

Thanks for the question which has been asked many times before.

However I would suggest not only are my legs lucky they are more intelligent, less subjective, more optimistic than your legs, and last but not least they voted Leave and Leave it will be.

Unfortunate isn't something my legs or me have ever been but don't take that to mean my legs and I haven't lived a life and struggled at times.

Being unfortunate would be something I would describe you as.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »

LOL :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Breathtaking ignorance of the situation. The two scenarios are not at all comparable at all, for reasons already discussed.

Not really. For decades people wanting out of the EU (and it's predecessors) were told either suck it up or vote for a party that will take us out. Exactly the same option is available to people who want back in.

You just need to do what Euro-sceptics did. Campaign, get nowhere for decades, set up a party, try and take votes from the parties that don't want to rejoin and maybe 40 years down the line one of the establishment parties will be scared of losing votes to said party and offer a referendum. Then you just need to win it, work your way through the legal challenges and get Brijoin through parliament.

It won't be easy, but it's what people who don't like the European project have had to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well leave supporters are picking on Swedes. I guess so Poles don't feel to special as the targets of xenophobia

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/16/ann-linde-swedish-minister-xenophobia-swedes-uk-brexit

LOL you are desperate aren't you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't worry. There will be nobody to pick them post Brexit :D
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. For decades people wanting out of the EU (and it's predecessors) were told either suck it up or vote for a party that will take us out. Exactly the same option is available to people who want back in.

You just need to do what Euro-sceptics did. Campaign, get nowhere for decades, set up a party, try and take votes from the parties that don't want to rejoin and maybe 40 years down the line one of the establishment parties will be scared of losing votes to said party and offer a referendum. Then you just need to win it, work your way through the legal challenges and get Brijoin through parliament.

It won't be easy, but it's what people who don't like the European project have had to do.

I'll make it clear for those who can't keep up:

If remain won: no change. Leavers could always try again, no big deal. Relationship with EU unchanged, opt outs stay in place (and we'd have gained one more)

Now that leave won: massive upheaval. Remainers could try to get the country to rejoin, but even if they managed it, the EU may not take us back. They certainly won't give us the opt outs and special treatment that we enjoy today.

THAT is why some people are working to stop the whole process, because they'd rather avoid a "lost decade" where we realise things were better before - that which we can't get back once we leave.

Do you see the difference yet?
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member

We'll all be picking Turnips before too long if sterling falters anymore and supermarket prices rise.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If remain won: no change. Leavers could always try again, no big deal. Relationship with EU unchanged, opt outs stay in place (and we'd have gained one more)

Now that leave won: massive upheaval. Remainers could try to get the country to rejoin, but even if they managed it, the EU may not take us back. They certainly won't give us the opt outs and special treatment that we enjoy today.

THAT is why some people are working to stop the whole process, because they'd rather avoid a "lost decade" where we realise things were better before - that which we can't get back once we leave.

Yes, you don't want to have to go to the trouble that the Euro-sceptics past and present have gone to.

Basically you're in the same position as people that didn't want to go in in the first place were, i.e. they wanted the status quo, but were taken in regardless, however that was without a referendum. They then had to fight for 40+ years to get back out.

No different, except the people were asked this time, again we aren't keeping the status quo, but this time it's the Europhiles that will have to fight to get back in.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread proves that May's plea is working.

Look how united we are.
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Give over.

No I didn't but where did you do the campaigning, somewhere you consider a safe bet because I can't see you having the patience to go anywhere else?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes I see the difference the Leave vote won because it was in the majority so the UK is leaving the EU.

It is very clear.