Options

Interesting new years reports of which networks coped

Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
Forum Member
✭✭
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1607832

How did your network manage into the new year / after midnight?

This could indicate which networks have the most robust systems or capacity.

Some reports that O2 struggled.
Sexbomb wrote: »
I'm on o2 and tried to send a message.... unable to send and that's 20mins later :mad:
I'm on Giffgaff (via the O2 network) and I haven't been able to send messages without having to retry at least once, although all text messages are getting through to my phone.
gold2040 wrote: »
Same here

I've been able to send a few in the last few minutes, but most of them are just failing outright

All other networks seemed to have been ok from the few reports that have come in.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really of any factual use. Some networks will cope better in different areas. It's down to the local cells, and also most people using the networks won't be on DS.

And yes, I know, miserable git, moan moan etc...
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Some reports that O2 struggled.

All other networks seemed to have been ok from the few reports that have come in.

Not a very scientific evaluation of network performance and your anti O2 posts prevuously make this thread look like a very amateurish and opportunistic attempt to discredit the UK's most successful mobile operator.

Pathetic post to start 2012........ shame on you.....
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on Giff Gaff which piggy backs O2.

I was sending texts at midnight and receiving them instantly. No problems here.

Contrast Vodafone for the last 5 years and I couldn't send a thing between 11pm and 1am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never said it was scientific, just asking for feedback on how people found their networks and posting reports from users who had problems in the GD thread.

Interesting that the least reliable network seems to be keeping it's reputation though. Of course we'll wait and see what other reports we get in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never said it was scientific, just asking for feedback on how people found their networks and posting reports from users who had problems in the GD thread.

Fair enough there's several threads on it in the general discussion area which is fine, nothing scientific to see there. This isn't the place for posting this nonsense though. It means absolutely nothing and is just completely pointless.
    Interesting that the least reliable network is keeping it's reputation though in this unscientific thread!

What absolute tosh. I take it you work for the tabloids?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to get personal just because you're a fan or something, this is simply a thread about reports of network performance at the time of year when they get put under a lot of load.

I only quoted the posters saying they were having problems and they were on O2, nobody else reported any problems on other networks yet.

Most here is subjective or opinion it's a forum, I don't hear you shouting about the poll on favourite network etc, that's equally as unscientific, yet interesting.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lurch wrote: »
    What absolute tosh. I take it you work for the tabloids?

Tabloid journalists are more beleivable usually and do some worthwhile research (involving mobile phones apparently in some cases)!

Agree with the assessment of the OPs comments though.

Sometimes it's best to think before hitting the post thread button....

Lets see if O2's alleged poor text performance by a few on a forum results in a change from them being the least complained about network by a huge margin to Ofcom in the UK for the last 12 months.....;)

Happy 2012 to all :)
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'm on Giff Gaff which piggy backs O2.

I was sending texts at midnight and receiving them instantly. No problems here.

Lucky you - giffgaff was incoming only by 2230 here, but even that's stopped now.

In contrast Three, Vodafone and Orange (haven't tried T-Mobile) have worked perfectly all night, sending and receiving straight away.
  • Options
    m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on o2 I was in the middle of a txt conversation with someone at midnight and sent a few happy new year texts out, what I found was the shorter texts wouldn't send for a couple of minutes and just kept bouncing back as not sent, whilst it was a good ten minutes before one of my convo texts that was quite long would send, it kept saying 'sending' but after 20 secs or so just bounced back, not sure if the text size actually had anything to do with it or not.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    I'm on o2 I was in the middle of a txt conversation with someone at midnight and sent a few happy new year texts out, what I found was the shorter texts wouldn't send for a couple of minutes and just kept bouncing back as not sent, whilst it was a good ten minutes before one of my convo texts that was quite long would send, it kept saying 'sending' but after 20 secs or so just bounced back, not sure if the text size actually had anything to do with it or not.

I had trouble a couple of times too (on o2) but they went eventually. Just congestion I guess.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,798
    Forum Member
    Dreadful problems on Three, since they removed their 2G coverage with Orange there have been a few occasions when they can't cope and tonight they are struggling around here.

No issues on T-Mobile or O2 in this household.
  • Options
    pmalexanderpmalexander Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    For god sake, we all know at midnight on new years eve networks go into meltdown. Do it earlier or post on facebook
  • Options
    interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on O2 and had no issues art all at midnight... Both SMS and iMessage sent and received with no problems.

Like other posters said, it will depend where you are. If you're at an organised fireworks event etc there will be a lot more load on the local cell then usual and its not worth the operators spending hundreds of thousands upgrading capacity to cope with a 10 minute window once a year when the rest of the year is fine!
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Orange sucked for about half hour after midnight
  • Options
    coolesticekingcoolesticeking Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Sent 41 messages at 12:01 AM on O2 and only two failed - Did an instant retry and they went without a problem.

Requested Delivery Reports and got most back straight away, last few came back at 12:20 AM.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Is there a point to all this?
    For info....I had no problems with GiffGaff (O2) incoming or out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Is there a point to all this?
    For info....I had no problems with GiffGaff (O2) incoming or out.

Some user reports on how the networks performed when loads of people call and text all at once. To find out which networks seem to struggle under load.
  • Options
    wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect all of the networks will have struggled at some point throughout the night - there isn't really much they can do about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some user reports on how the networks performed when loads of people call and text all at once. To find out which networks seem to struggle under load.

So no point at all then is what you're saying. As I said, would be fine in the general area where it started but you have posted it here in the technical sections with an authoritative title that makes it sound like there's some fact based report. It was the only reason I read it in the first place.

A few people on a forum who don;t understand how or why the networks cope or don't cope is absolutely pointless, no matter how much fun you think it is or how harmless it is. The fact remains that there is absolutely nothing scientific or factual or useful that can come of this thread. Yes you can make a thread about anything anywhere, that is not what is being questioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody forced you into the thread at gunpoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody forced you into the thread at gunpoint.

And how is that relevant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that you don't have to join in the thread if you don't want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that you don't have to join in the thread if you don't want to.

I'm well aware of that. I can't see where that was ever in question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about you just ignore threads if they don't interest you;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about you just ignore threads if they don't interest you;)

Again, that is not what I said. You have completely missed what I have been saying. I am well aware that I can choose to read or not read threads. I am well aware that I can just ignore threads I don;t want to read, I do that all the time. What I am saying, and have said several times but you don't seem to get it, is that this thread is in the technical sections. All it does is point to a completely pointless thread in the pointless section of the forum. This thread was fine in the pointless section, I wasn't bothered by it. You have posted it here and made it sound factual, it isn't.

I have never said I am having a problem ignoring it, I'm not trying to. I have never said you're forcing me to read it, you're not. You seem to be completely missing what I'm saying.
This discussion has been closed.