• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BARB we 6th September

BBC2
    Cradle to Grave 2.90m
    Boy Meets Girl 1.78m

Boy Meets Girl didn't budge much from its overnight rating of 1.5m. Doesn't have enough jokes for broad appeal in my opinion.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad the documentary and the police content did well for Channel 5, They need to move away from benefits and Big Brother. Made Is Chelsea is just a total bore. Not really sure why people watch that. Doc Martin however is just the older viewers which makes up about 5 million.

I think Made In Chelsea is brilliantly entertaining. It's just a fun show to watch and shouldn't be taken too seriously. It has a large catch up audience so whilst the overnights are underwhelming it isn't so bad. I can't remember when I last watched it live though and I'm about 3 eps behind on MIC:LA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is hard to see this capturing a big audience on ITV today. But then what does. :)

Seriously, cannot see this fitting easily on mainstream TV but one of the smaller channels might think it could do something with it as an 'event'. Though they would likely need the DVD money to pay for the costs so that is sure to come first.
    This so something that would work on ITV3, a channel ITV could use so much more.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    BARB we 6th September

BBC2
    Cradle to Grave 2.90m
    Boy Meets Girl 1.78m

Boy Meets Girl didn't budge much from its overnight rating of 1.5m. Doesn't have enough jokes for broad appeal in my opinion.

I don't think the jokes (or lack of) are the real problem. It is the failure to judge that the audience wanted to see the love story develop and it not become a family sitcom with added tranny humour.

It is not a funny comedy but did not need to have been if they had judged the tone correctly. But they really haven't.

Though political correctness at the BBC may ironically yet salvage it for a series 2 when they can take on board audience reaction.

This week the two screenings got around 1.5 million and its repeat actually beat the share of the repeat of Cradle to Grave.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    BARB we 6th September

BBC2
    Cradle to Grave 2.90m
    Boy Meets Girl 1.78m

Surely it would not be on BBC2 if it had broad appeal though.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Solid for Corrie last night and up week-on-week. I'm surprised DM didn't increase last night though with an increased lead-in and pretty awful weather. Saying that, 5.7m for a drama is still good, just quite a way off its peak. We'll have a better idea of how it's doing once the official numbers are released for episode one next Monday.

Reading DS today it seems that the Emmerdale and EE episodes that clash on Friday 25th September are both major episodes - and both starting at 8pm. Emmerdale will have the Corrie lead in but EE is in its normal slot. I think EE will win this one though regardless of that.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Tony Hall is giving evidence to the commons.

From BBC website -

Tony Hall says that after buying in The Voice - a format created abroad - he would like the BBC to be responsible for its next big hit.

"My ambition is that the next time we have a big entertainment format on the BBC, it will be made in-house," he told MPs.

"I hope we find a hit from our in-house stable. That's my aspiration."

I wonder how many years that will take? Based on recent evidence it could be a decade !! ;-)

You are quite right - but ITV is in exactly the same boat. The globalisation of entertainment formats has done neither the BBC or ITV any favours, and controllers at both channels need to think beyond formats that are becoming/have become tired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the jokes (or lack of) are the real problem. It is the failure to judge that the audience wanted to see the love story develop and it not become a family sitcom with added tranny humour.

It is not a funny comedy but did not need to have been if they had judged the tone correctly. But they really haven't.

Though political correctness at the BBC may ironically yet salvage it for a series 2 when they can take on board audience reaction.

This week the two screenings got around 1.5 million and its repeat actually beat the share of the repeat of Cradle to Grave.

I'd agree with this and also add that there's a rather awkward mix between the relatives overacting massively and the moments with Judy where we're given an insight into what her life is like. It all rather feels like they've parachuted the issue into quite a retro styled sitcom and the two are vying for attention.

Inevitably, I'm afraid, there are comparisons to be made with Amazon's Transparent, which has rightly won accolades for the way it's seamlessly able to blend moments of hilarity with moments of poignancy. Whether it helps to follow someone transitioning (in that show), rather than someone who's already transitioned (in Boy Meets Girl) is a moot point.
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    Overnights two years ago (Monday 16th September 2013) :

EMMERDALE 7.33m/35.7%
    CORONATION STREET (7.30pm) 8.72m/40%
    CORONATION STREET (8.30pm) 8.91m/37.7%
    EASTENDERS 7.01m/30.8%
    DOC MARTIN 7.18m/31.7%

Last night :

EMMERDALE 5.77m/31%
    CORONATION STREET (7.30pm) 7.19m/35%
    CORONATION STREET (8.30pm) 7.33m/32.8%
    EASTENDERS 6.58m/30.3%
    DOC MARTIN 5.42m/24.7%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Surely it would not be on BBC2 if it had broad appeal though.

No. But BBC2 sitcoms that did well in the past grew or had a decent audience from the start which held. Why is it successful factual or drama on BBC2/Channel 4 can get 2/3m regularly but most comedy gets around 1m?

Too many comedies have poor ratings and they get excused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Tings wrote: »
    Overnights two years ago (Monday 16th September 2013) :

EMMERDALE 7.33m/35.7%
    CORONATION STREET (7.30pm) 8.72m/40%
    CORONATION STREET (8.30pm) 8.91m/37.7%
    EASTENDERS 7.01m/30.8%
    DOC MARTIN 7.18m/31.7%

Last night :

EMMERDALE 5.77m/31%
    CORONATION STREET (7.30pm) 7.19m/35%
    CORONATION STREET (8.30pm) 7.33m/32.8%
    EASTENDERS 6.58m/30.3%
    DOC MARTIN 5.42m/24.7%

The shares are noticeably down for the ITV soaps and Doc Martin has dropped sharply. EastEnders share is the same but 2013 was the period where the share for EastEnders on Monday was dropping to 30/31%.

Ray do you have any ratings for Christmas 1975 & 1976? Always wanted to see those years.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ownership of formats and shows has become increasingly important, the big US networks have done in for years and even in the cable space as well. The creation of BBC Studios does mean they can be more aggressive with buying companies with potential as ITV has done in the last few years and also pitch ideas to channels that wouldn't fit the BBC mold.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Myleene Klass about as popular with pay TV viewers as Katie Hopkins, reports Broadcast:
    Singing In The Rainforest (Watch) 9pm-10pm
    42,000 (0.2%)

Gogglebox Entertainment’s five-part series in which popstars are transported across the world to perform with remote tribes kicked off with a performance from Myleene Klass.

The format struggled to draw an audience was well below the channel’s 80,000 (0.4% slot average). It sunk to a low of 25,000 (0.1%) in the five minutes from 9.45.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratings/longleat-opens-its-doors-to-3m/5093154.article
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Ryan Sampson (Plebs and Up the Women) gets his own show on ITV 2

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001886/ryan_sampson_star_sketch_prank_show_glitchy_itv2/
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV is paying TFL £160,000 to show RWC updates on tube indicator boards. All information is supplied by ITV. Whilst it helps promotion, I would have thought it's a mutual benefit with no payment made.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. But BBC2 sitcoms that did well in the past grew or had a decent audience from the start which held. Why is it successful factual or drama on BBC2/Channel 4 can get 2/3m regularly but most comedy gets around 1m?

Too many comedies have poor ratings and they get excused.

There isn't a place for niche comedy anymore with the axe of BBC3.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good article in radio times on soap clashes.

These Emmerdale and EastEnders schedule clashes need to stop!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-15/these-emmerdale-and-eastenders-schedule-clashes-need-to-stop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Good article in radio times on soap clashes.

These Emmerdale and EastEnders schedule clashes need to stop!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-15/these-emmerdale-and-eastenders-schedule-clashes-need-to-stop

Absolutely.

Peter Fincham's hypocrisy is breathtaking.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Peter Fincham's hypocrisy is breathtaking.

I totally agree especially when its ITV that have created the upcoming Sunday night clashes between XF/SCD when apparently the fact that he says people don't want these clashes is being ignored.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BARB we 6th September

BBC2
    Cradle to Grave 2.90m
    Boy Meets Girl 1.78m

I get what you mean about Boy meets girl personally I find it quite funny but Cradle to grave appeals to more people
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    The shares are noticeably down for the ITV soaps and Doc Martin has dropped sharply. EastEnders share is the same but 2013 was the period where the share for EastEnders on Monday was dropping to 30/31%.

Ray do you have any ratings for Christmas 1975 & 1976? Always wanted to see those years.

For Christmas Day 1975, all I know is this :

FILM : BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (BBC1, Th 20:45) 6.7m homes (14.7m viewers?) (4th place this week)
    THE MORECAMBE AND WISE CHRISTMAS SHOW (BBC1, Th 19:40) 6.5m homes (14.3m viewers?) (9th place this week)

Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game (BBC1, Th 17:50) was probably in the top 20 for the week, but it would seem that Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (BBC1, Th 18:55) was not.
    ITV showed Celebrity Squares at 18:20 (some regions : 18:50), Crossroads at 19:00 (some regions : 17:20), Get Some In! at 19:30, Love Thy Neighbour at 20:00, and the film The Taming of the Shrew at 20:30.

Other programmes definitely in the top 20 this week :

1. PORRIDGE (BBC1, W 20:25) 7.7m homes (16.9m viewers?)
    3?.THE DICK EMERY SHOW (BBC1, W 19:55) 7.1m homes
    10. DAVID NIXON'S MAGIC HOUR (ITV, Tu 19:15) 6.4m homes
    11.= MASTERMIND FINAL (BBC1, M 21:15) 6.2m homes
    11.= FILM : CARRY ON UP THE KHYBER (BBC1, Tu 19:00) 6.2m homes
    15.= KOJAK (BBC1, W 21:10) 6.1m homes
    15.= FILM : LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (PART ONE) (ITV, M 20:00) 6.1m homes
    19. JIM'LL FIX IT (BBC1, W 17:45) 6.0m homes

Programmes that may have been in the top 20 :
    Coronation Street (ITV, M/W 19:30), Crossroads (ITV, Tu-F), Opportunity Knocks! (ITV, M 18:45), the second part of Lawrence of Arabia (ITV, Tu 20:15), The Liver Birds (BBC1, Tu 20:25), This is Your Life (ITV, W 19:00).
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice ITV are showing a similar themed programme to the BBC's Parking Mad. This one on ITV is titled Parking Wars something that would attract over 4m to BBC1. So I think we can wipe at least 1.5m off that figure.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As predicted. Why would the audience watching CF, then AR turn over?

Because they didn't like An Inspector Calls? Not everyone who watches Countryfile likes Antiques Roadshow, and vice versa. People will watch what they want, and then switch off.
    Salv* wrote: »
    Top Gear? Tell me that was a repeat. It surely couldn't have been a new episode.

You'd know if it had been a new episode of Top Gear. It would be quite big news.
    Markynotts wrote: »
    I stumbled across Pointless yesterday and I was a little confused. I hadn't realized that it had gone 7 days a week now. Still if its popular as they say .......... and its on possibly 3 or 4 times a day now with the repeat showings on Challenge
    simonk243 wrote: »
    It's the same with tipping point and the chase often now shown at weekends and sometimes in the week after the 10pm news

Yes, thank you for pointing that out, ITV show Tipping Point and The Chase just as much as the Beeb show Pointless. Pointless is not on seven days a week every week, it wasn't on the Sunday before last and it's not on this Sunday either. What Challenge do is none of the Beeb's business and they also show The Chase. In fact at the moment they're showing The Chase twice a day and Pointless once.
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Unfortunately they will flog them all to death and then struggle to find replacements. Now is the time to try new things not just run and run with them until they are burnt out - and then panic. Channel 4 have found this with Deal or No Deal, and probably will soon with the constant repeating of Come Dine With Me.

Less is more as they say.

Well, you say that, but the biggest show on daytime outside Pointless and The Chase is Bargain Hunt, which thrashes ITV day in day out and is massively popular, and yet it's been running fifteen years, way longer than Pointless or The Chase or even Deal or no Deal, it hardly ever takes a day off, they show loads of repeats and it's often on at the weekends as well. It seems just as popular as ever and shows absolutely no sign of burning out. So why should Pointless and The Chase?
    BBC factual doing better about animals than ITV factual

It wasn't about animals.
    Community and Parks & Recreation were lucky to get as many series as they did. They don't have broad appeal and would have been axed ages ago if NBC had hits at the time. They don't work here either. These are shoes that should be on Netflix not a broadcast network. No main channel here should touch them either. Don't fall for the hype of s few excited TV critics. Look at the ratings.

Well, I like Parks and Recreation a lot and I'm absolutely delighted it's still on television. I don't care how many people are watching it, I am and that's all that matters to me, and I am delighted I can do that on an FTA channel instead of having to pay for Netflix. I don't know what people are expecting from Parks and Recreation on Dave, 8pm is a low-rated slot for them, it gets its highest ratings late at night. I don't know why they have to get rid of it when they're on air for twenty hours a day. It's presumably costing them bugger all and rather that than a blank screen.

There are programmes that get high ratings and programmes that don't but are loved by the audience that does watch them. The two can co-exist. We've not reached the stage a la Moneyball where all decisions on TV programmes are purely based on statistics rather than any human intervention.
    Ray Tings wrote: »
    For Christmas Day 1975, all I know is this :

FILM : BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (BBC1, Th 20:45) 6.7m homes (14.7m viewers?) (4th place this week)
    THE MORECAMBE AND WISE CHRISTMAS SHOW (BBC1, Th 19:40) 6.5m homes (14.3m viewers?) (9th place this week)

Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game (BBC1, Th 17:50) was probably in the top 20 for the week, but it would seem that Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (BBC1, Th 18:55) was not.

I would be amazed if Some Mothers Do Ave Em didn't get in the top twenty, it was an enormously successful show at the time. This should be taken with a pinch of salt but the 1977 BBC Handbook reviews the ratings for 1975-76, and it says here, "The largest BBC television audiences were recorded on Christmas Day with Morecambe and Wise and Some Mothers Do Ave Em topping 25 million".

Meanwhile, the 1978 Handbook, reviewing the ratings for 1976-77, says for Christmas 1976, "Morecambe and Wise attracted 27 million viewers, The Generation Game 26 million, Mike Yarwood just under 22 million and Porridge about 21 million". Of course, pre-JICTAR, those are BBC figures, but I think they would be about right, given how little opposition there was and ITV being pretty hit and miss on Christmas Day even then. Some Mothers Do Ave Em was a massive show.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, nobody needs to see me being a grumpy git for a second time.
This discussion has been closed.