Options

Why dont we call teachers by their first names?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's more about having respect for your elders, rather than the reasons you mention.

It wasn't me that originally said that. See post #111.

Apparently we shouldn't respect young people, because they are not as knowledgeble, qualified or experienced... they are just "snot nosed little school kids, who have done nothing knows nothing, and has been nothing ".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Did I say "most"? No, I said "many", as in many of the teachers I've met HAVE been glorified bullies, either to me but usually to other classmates. Don't twist my words, thank you.

I'm not saying no teachers deserve respect - read my most recent post, teachers like you who do love their job and respect their class when the class respects them, they do deserve respect, it's the majority of the ones I've come across who just see it as a nusiance and take it out on the class but still demand the respect that I dislike.

I certainly wasn't attempting to "twist words", and I'm sorry if what I said came across like that. And I hadn't picked up your most recent post.

However, I still stand by what I said, even with the substitution of the word "many".

If teachers are not shown respect in the classroom it must be impossible to teach, and when that happens surely the education of the whole class will suffer. Yes, teachers absolutely have a massive role to play in treating their pupils respectfully, but there must surely be an expectation that you show your teacher respect? And for me, part of that is shown by using a teacher's title and surname. Not all (actions speak louder than words after all), but in part.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude w wrote: »
    When we call for an appointment at the doctors we don't ask for them by their Christian name we ask for Dr ******* same thing when we call at the police station.

I don't agree with calling teachers by their first name, imo we call our friends by their first name, teachers are not there to make friends with the children, they are there to teach.

They are in a position of authority and stripping away the 'Miss' & 'Mr' will water that down imo

Completely agree - I am a teacher and I want a bit of distance. If kids call me by my first name that alters the relationship. There again I work in Germany where they use the formal / informal form of address anyway. In fact all 'A' level students may request to be called Mr. or Miss by the teachers - so this is the reverse idea, even.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Apparently we shouldn't respect young people, because they are not as knowledgeble, qualified or experienced... they are just "snot nosed little school kids, who have done nothing knows nothing, and has been nothing ".

I think we are saying the same thing, although some of it may have been lost in translation.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    A lad in my class used to call the teacher Mum, when we were about 8.
    Mind you, she was his Mum, so it wasn't quite the same thing as if I;d have done it or one of the other kids. :D

That would never have happened in our school. There were a few kids of teachers there, but the school always timetabled it so a teacher never ended up teaching their son...
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not at all.

It's entirely feasible that a 20 year old would have much more life experience than the elderly, say 80 year old lady.

I don't see how you can back this ridiculous notion that age automatically = respect.

For all we know the elderly lady could drown kittens in her spare time.

Would you respect her more than a 9 year old then?

I have, by default, always shown respect to my elders unless my experience of them tells me otherwise. I know you are unable to comprehend this simple courtesy, but most people fortunately still adhere to its principles.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading some comments it seems as though some people think that kids unilaterally decided to call teachers by their first names. In the school my children went to it was the headteacher who brought it in when he started there some 20 years ago. He didn't enforce it with the teachers though, they were given the choice of how they preferred to be addressed by the pupils. Over the period of about 10 years my children went there, I can only remember two teachers who used the more formal titles or Mr such and such.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you being deliberately obtuse? You have chopped off the end of that statement where it went on to say "in comparison to" thus taking it out of context, and confirming that people just read and quote whatever they see fit on this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    That would never have happened in our school. There were a few kids of teachers there, but the school always timetabled it so a teacher never ended up teaching their son...

Same in my kids school. My older son had one of the teachers kids in his class and so he never had that teacher (it was a one form entry school). Benefited my second son though cos it meant he had the that particular teacher 3 out of his 1st four years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have, by default, always shown respect to my elders unless my experience of them tells me otherwise. I know you are unable to comprehend this simple courtesy, but most people fortunately still adhere to its principles.

Actually, I think you'll find, most people have respect for their fellow human beings... regardless of age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think you'll find, most people have respect for their fellow human beings... regardless of age.

Show courtesy to, maybe, respect is a different thing altogether.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However in mirrorimage's perfectly ordered society, 105 year olds will be showing respect towards 110 year olds which will not be reciprocated!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone demands respect from me normally gets told to bog off in no uncertain terms...I give it where its due, not where it is demanded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not a different thing altogether.
    1. to have an attitude of esteem towards; show or have respect for to respect one's elders
    2. to pay proper attention to; not violate to respect Swiss neutrality
    3. to show consideration for; treat courteously or kindly
    4. Archaic to concern or refer to

I point your attention to number 3.

(source http://www.thefreedictionary.com/respect)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a different thing altogether.

I point your attention to number 3.

(source http://www.thefreedictionary.com/respect)

Fair enough then. The generally held definition would be 1, which I don't think is automatically due. Courtesy, always, but adult teachers holding kids in esteem because they think they automatically deserve it, no chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough then. The generally held definition would be 1, which I don't think is automatically due. Courtesy, always, but adult teachers holding kids in esteem because they think they automatically deserve it, no chance.

I would expect any teacher to apply number 2 and 3 to each of their students.
    To me thats good enough to qualify as respect, in accordance with the dictionary definition.

It doesn't say you have to meet all of those points for it to come under the term 'respect'
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    When I attended secondary school, some forty-odd years ago (!) there were two teachers called "Mr. Ward"

We were actually instructed to refer to them in general conversation by their Christian names, Cyril Ward and Gerald Ward, in order to avoid possible confusion. However, when addressing them, we were to still use the word "Sir!"

We would never have called our teachers by their Christian names, it would have been very disrespectful. This was even though we knew in nearly all cases what their Christian names were!
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »

I suppose it must depend on how many teachers there are. Our primary school was pretty small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect any teacher to apply number 2 and 3 to each of their students.
    To me thats good enough to qualify as respect, in accordance with the dictionary definition.

It doesn't say you have to meet all of those points for it to come under the term 'respect'

I call it courtesy, you call it respect. Potayto potahto. The issue at hand is that there is an expectation of definition 1 by a lot of young people from their elders and betters, and an indignant refusal of reverse application where, in my opinion, it is more appropriate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    What a ridiculous idea!
    I wouldn't allow my kids friends to call me by my first name!

Exactly and teachers are like parents, both parties work together to dicipline the children.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I call them by their first names at college?
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taking an active interest in making sure your students learn and get the best exam results possible - that's what is important, and I think the reason that standards are declining is because good teachers like that are few and far between.

They are highly unlikely to be able to make you learn and get good results if your attendance is low and you don't do homework. Did you consider that that might be why you are being hassled about it? I tell my kids off for not doing homework because without it they are not going to achieve in life. Homework has value and can be the difference between one or two grades depending upon how seriously they take it.

Getting homework in late is also problematic for me. I work through all of my breaks and all bout 15 mins of my lunch time, and I'm in school some nights from 7:45am to 6:30pm, then I come home, eat, start working again at 8pm, and just finish marking my last stuff before midnight. If I've set aside time to mark your stuff and then you and a few others hand it to me late, that means I might be going to be late at midnight instead of 11:30. Do I not have the right to be displeased at that? I do take personal circumstances into account, but... personal circumstance does not alleviate my personal problems caused by you.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that idea disgusting. To say that you should only have any respect for people who are either more qualified, experienced or knowledgeable than you?

The majority aren't saying 'no respect', they're saying 'less respect'. I respect a person who has done nothing with their life less than a person who has done something with their life. That, of course, is a simplistic statement that does not take personal circumstance into account.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    It is 10 years since I left grammar school and I still can't call my former teachers by their first names. I guess we were just raised that you call them Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms out of courtesy.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    It's all about respect, but I don't even think it works. My college teachers and university lecturers ask for us to call them by their first names and I've got my respect for them than some of my useless primary and secondary school teachers.
    Yes but if you're at university you are almost grown up yourself by now, and on more of an equal footing with them from an age point of view. Personally I wouldn't want a primary school child calling me by my first name whether I was their teacher or just a neighbour.