Options

Strictly Peoples Special

Comments

• Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They overdid the schmaltz a little bit but all those picked to take part are fully deserving people, and it's always nice to see unsung heroes get some reward instead of self serving celebs.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the programme, last night. I'm looking forward to seeing their live performance.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Me too . Almost missed it , saw no ads for it just spotted it in my TV guide

Same here, just happened to catch bake off and then the announcer said it was coming on next, 3 lovely people so far , how gorgeous is Cassidy !! He may have the biggest challenge dancing with a prosthetic .

It was lovely to see the pros involved and I too am delighted to see Ian involved! I don't really know why they need celeb mentors, all will become clear I guess. When is the next episode ?
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the last half of the show on iplayer - well I couldn't miss Anne Boleyn getting her head cut off on Wolf Hall lol ! So nice to see Vincent and Flavia again, they are so missed on Strictly :(
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they over did the intros a bit but I'm not going to lie had a tear in my eye over the marine that lost half his leg, broke his hip and sight in one eye but was still shouting instructions on how to help the others when down and injured after and IED, thats bravery right there. Hope he does well.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,685
    Forum Member
    Loved it (although I, too, seem to live in an area where Wednesday is onion chopping day).

Like many of you, I already have a gentle crush on Cassidy - and I like Natalie enormously anyway. Liked all three contestants, though and hope they all shine.

I agree that they seem to have chosen the pros who are the best teachers and have good 'to camera' skills.

I particularly seeing the reactions of the 'People'; Heather's genuine delight at everything, Michael's awed reaction to dancing with Flavia, and Cassidy's bewilderment at the reveal where he was just concerned about interrupting the RM band practice.

I guess the whole mentor thing is an attempt to keep the viewer base as broad as possible for the benefit of Comic Relief. For many SCD fans I know that the presence of the pros alone is enough (frankly, for me the presence of Ian Waite alone would be enough), but I suppose the addition of household names will reach more potential donors.

Must remember to record next week's.
  • Options
    soexcitedsoexcited Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Late to the posting party had to watch on I player this morning. Add me to the Cassidy fan club, a soldier, tall dark and handsome and a Canadian what's not to love. At last a public strictly and so much better than yet another celeb doing yet another challenge plus. All worthy participants and love that michael ans heather are such big fans.Looking forward to the show and how they progress.Added bonus of an early fix of glitter
  • Options
    AhamPremaAhamPrema Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Only just caught up on iPlayer too. Thought it got off to a fantastic start. Loved the flashdances and the genuinely gobsmacked reactions. Really well chosen contestants who deserve something special, I was welling up at several points during their stories. All look like they'll put the hard work in to develop as dancers, the paso masterclass was a highlight as you could see it click into place for Cassidy, so going to be interesting to watch how they all progress.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    But doesn't he have previous dance experience? Would that not make him a dirty ringaaah? Or does previous experience only matter when it is celebrities doing it.
    It only matters if they haven't lost half a leg. He might have danced before, but having a prosthetic leg will make it a whole different ball game. Just for a start he will have no feedback from his foot. I'm rooting for him so far, but then we haven't seen the other three.

Got through half a box of tissues on the first contestant, which fortunately got less as the programme progressed, but only because I didn't have any tears left.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last a primetime format without celebs. They should do this every year. Feels odd showing on a Weds though.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had wondered if the reason why they chose to place the show at 9pm was because they were going to show the full extent of what Heather went through. It would have been too graphic maybe, given that it is for Comic Relief.

So I think they pitched it at about the right level for the 'People'.

They are people who care about others, and that makes it easier to care about them. That makes the show better.
    Its not a show about what you can get - it's about what you can give.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    It only matters if they haven't lost half a leg. He might have danced before, but having a prosthetic leg will make it a whole different ball game. Just for a start he will have no feedback from his foot. I'm rooting for him so far, but then we haven't seen the other three.

Got through half a box of tissues on the first contestant, which fortunately got less as the programme progressed, but only because I didn't have any tears left.

Its going to be very interesting to me to see how they adapt to cope with Cassidy needing an artificial leg. Natalie said that switching to a carbon blade type of leg has helped, so we shall see how it goes. The choice of Paso is good - it reduces dancing in hold, which would risk injury to Natalie's feet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yera wrote: »
    Same here, just happened to catch bake off and then the announcer said it was coming on next, 3 lovely people so far , how gorgeous is Cassidy !! He may have the biggest challenge dancing with a prosthetic .

It was lovely to see the pros involved and I too am delighted to see Ian involved! I don't really know why they need celeb mentors, all will become clear I guess. When is the next episode ?

The next episode is the reveals of the other three 'People' and is next Wednesday.
    Then the next program is the day after that and is about their training.

The final program (the day before Red Nose Day) is the contest, which will be a bit like a Christmas Special perhaps in that it is viewer votes that count and the winner is announced during the Red Nose Day Show.
  • Options
    ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,474
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Still hanker after Mathew Cutler ! Then Ian , then Alyaz

Just Matthew for me, in my dreams I would be chosen to do this show with Matthew as my partner .... oh well, the people that have been chosen so far really are very deserving contestants
    *Laura* wrote: »
    My goodness how could I have forgotten Matthew? :blush: I still love his VW with Alesha, so stunningly beautiful. :)

I agree, the times I've watched this dance ... and all the others :)
    Andagha wrote: »
    Ye gods those are some injuries Cassidy sustained... It's amazing he has rallied back from it all let alone dance.

yes, it must have been dreadful for him, I shall be looking forward to seeing him dance .... and not just because he looks good :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forces TV was given the opportunity to show some of Cassidy's training with Natalie.

http://forces.tv/97048367

My guess is that in this photo, Cassidy is wearing the blade leg. I think he can appear to be pointing his toe by bending his knee as in the photo. Its one of the things he couldn't do with his previous legs, but it does mean he points his toes by doing the opposite with each knee, so he will have to get his brain trained to that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-JbOaeIcAEPnUv.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anna and Robin on The One Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olm_KovSuk

Last Night's One Show on iPlayer, with Trishna and Aljaz, Anna and Robin, Heather and Ian, Phil and Janette.... and Anton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b052xvx1/the-one-show-25022015
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Got my sparkle badge in Sainsbury's...woohoo!

https://instagram.com/p/zkTsKXL00t/

I'll have to work my way up to wearing it in public.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The program was interesting, though I think an hour would have been more than long enough to introduce all 6 people, not just 3. And felt the guy from Scotland drew the short straw! Firstly, nowhere near the intro & build up as the other 2, and then sent to Brighton (or wherever), while the other 2 went to Austria & Spain!

Typical BBC: Flamenco is NOT paso, although Cassidy may have picked up some cape moves; and I really hope Heather didn't take too much notice of the Austrian dancers! They were not real dancers, just attending a "prom". One of the 'dancers' told Heather to "keep on her toes".......... Really? And had the feeling the guy who Ian introduced as a judge on the Austrian version of Strictly, probably knew as much about ballroom as Darcey!
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    The program was interesting, though I think an hour would have been more than long enough to introduce all 6 people, not just 3. And felt the guy from Scotland drew the short straw! Firstly, nowhere near the intro & build up as the other 2, and then sent to Brighton (or wherever), while the other 2 went to Austria & Spain!

Typical BBC: Flamenco is NOT paso, although Cassidy may have picked up some cape moves; and I really hope Heather didn't take too much notice of the Austrian dancers! They were not real dancers, just attending a "prom". One of the 'dancers' told Heather to "keep on her toes".......... Really? And had the feeling the guy who Ian introduced as a judge on the Austrian version of Strictly, probably knew as much about ballroom as Darcey!

What we were saying last night too re the Paso - the BBC continue with the myth about it being a spanish/flamenco based dance when it is in fact a french dance based on the bullfight - all in all enjoyed the show pity the Beeb didn't just use ex pros from the show would have been nice to see some old faces
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Lisa Riley is a mentor! Sheesh, is there no peace? Could we maybe have a whip round and buy her off? What on earth does she have on the producers?

What does she have to offer apart from dancing side by side and gurning? Tips on how to do the splits (shudders) 😩

Just when you think it's safe to enjoy Strictly...

:D:D:D

Seriously though, I agree, Strictly over use Lisa Riley in my opinion. >:(
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I loved it last night, there were quite a few tears from me, but I loved it!! :D
  • Options
    Katrina_WoodsKatrina_Woods Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something here??? Looking at the segment on strictly 2014 where Tess is asking for strictly fans to apply. There is no mention they had to be nominated or have a disability. So really it was misleading. Have looked at a clip on catchup but I am sorry to say, the woe betide me should be left to X factor wannabes IMO. Perhaps if it was real strictly fans I may have had a different outlook
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I missing something here??? Looking at the segment on strictly 2014 where Tess is asking for strictly fans to apply. There is no mention they had to be nominated or have a disability. So really it was misleading. Have looked at a clip on catchup but I am sorry to say, the woe betide me should be left to X factor wannabes IMO. Perhaps if it was real strictly fans I may have had a different outlook

I don't recall what Tess said on the show, but assume she directed applicants to the website (?). It's pretty clear there that you have to be nominated....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/0a43cb2c-1b2b-3a41-b4a2-89d9d7d75ecb

..... and the people we saw last night were described as super-fans of the show.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    Got my sparkle badge in Sainsbury's...woohoo!

https://instagram.com/p/zkTsKXL00t/

I'll have to work my way up to wearing it in public.
    Tried to get one in Sainsburys this morning, but my branch hasn't got them - just loads of stuff at £1.00. Asked if they were getting them and they said they have to take what they're given and they're obviously not getting the sparkly badge.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Tried to get one in Sainsburys this morning, but my branch hasn't got them - just loads of stuff at £1.00. Asked if they were getting them and they said they have to take what they're given and they're obviously not getting the sparkly badge.

Now you mention it, they weren't actually on display in my branch (apparently the biggest in the whole country) and I had to make a slight nuisance of myself to get one.

I think you can order them online but I'm into instant gratification.