Options

Do you think the 2000's are bland and boring compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Comments

• Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Imagine this future convo:

Son: Dad what did you wear in the 2000s?

Dad: We all wore tracksuits, son.

Son: For the whole decade?

Dad: Yep and our hairstyle never changed either.

:sleep:
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I thought the 90s were the most boring overall. The noughties at least had major advancements in technology to make it stand out more. 80s were exceptional for music, TV & film, and the 70s were just classic childhood memories for me.
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of one thing I'm sure, the young "fashions" of today, otherwise known as jumble sale style, will be held up to ridicule in the future. The Duchess's wedding dress excluded of course - exquisite.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    In terms of music culture I'd say the 2000s were actually quite an exciting time. However despite that I think mainstream culture has been less influenced by musical culture during the 2000s than any other decade since the 50s. Punk in the 70s influenced mainstream culture, then in the 80s you had hip hop, breakdance culture and the whole flamboyant pop fashion enter the mainstream, then later in the 80s and early 90s rave culture and the 'Madchester' scene influenced the mainstream. But I can't really put my finger on anything similar in the 2000s.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have vagueish memories of the Heatwave of '76.

In summer 1976, I remember my mother making orange flavoured ice cubes for me to suck to keep cool-and our back lawn being all dried up, with the grass starting to die.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer today to the 70s/80s - not that I remember much of the 70s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    That's one of my favourites!

I love naff films like Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club too.

Conversely, whilst it's considered 'cool' to like the Godfather trilogy (from the 70s), they bored me rigid.

Don't forget Ferris Bueller's Day Off :D
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    The one thing I find disappointing in the modern world is that we seem to have lost innovation and renewal in popular music. If I listen to the charts, too many of the songs sound pretty much like songs that could have been released in the 70s or 80s or 90s, except that the production is more polished but the songwriting isn't as good.

When are the younger generation going to come up with something that we older people say "isn't music" again?
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    The one thing I find disappointing in the modern world is that we seem to have lost innovation and renewal in popular music. If I listen to the charts, too many of the songs sound pretty much like songs that could have been released in the 70s or 80s or 90s, except that the production is more polished but the songwriting isn't as good.

When are the younger generation going to come up with something that we older people say "isn't music" again?

The part I highlighted is your problem. Music has become so diverse now that if you want to find good quality music you're going to have to find it outside of the top 40. There's a hell of a lot of it, so many genres competing for an audience that so much gets left out of the mainstream charts. Go on sites like Bandcamp, Beatport and ReverbNation to discover new artists.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    The part I highlighted is your problem. Music has become so diverse now that if you want to find good quality music you're going to have to find it outside of the top 40. There's a hell of a lot of it, so many genres competing for an audience that so much gets left out of the mainstream charts. Go on sites like Bandcamp, Beatport and ReverbNation to discover new artists.

Erm, my whole point was focused on what is happening in the charts. I specifically didn't say that I was having difficulty finding interesting music, outside of the charts.
  • Options
    The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »

We did.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the 70's and 80's having lots of charm and charactor about them. It was a great era to grow up in. The 90's weren't too bad either. But as for the 2000's, it's just bland, boring and charactorless in comparison really. All this political correctness and "health and safety" nonsence. I think modern technology like mobile phones and the internet(says I as use the internet every day!) has played a part in it all too.

I think technology has a lot more to do with it than you might think.

We already can have a single gadget that can be a radio, television, telephone, tape recorder, video recorder, still camera, video camera, record player, gps tracker, compass, walkie-talkie; can replace thousands of physical books, newspapers and maps (not to forget mail); and can even replace shopping, banking, and all the things you had to go out for; and probably much of travel too: you can see a lot of the world without going anywhere!

All the richness that those discrete physical objects and activities added to everyday life, all quickly disappearing.

All thanks to the computer of course, which is also responsible for gradual erosion of privacy (via cameras everywhere, and personal data being hacked or lost), and ruining many of our movies!

So that would be one thing I would definitely uninvent.

(Or at least, confine them to being the large, cumbersome machines in the air-conditioned rooms where they belong. Another aspect from the 1970s that is long gone: 0.1GB disk drives as big as washing machines, mag-tape drives, and huge cabinets with flashing lights, housing an entire 0.001 GB of memory!)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »

Another aspect from the 1970s that is long gone: 0.1GB disk drives as big as washing machines, mag-tape drives, and huge cabinets with flashing lights, housing an entire 0.001 GB of memory!)

They were the stereotypical wardrobe size mainframes, with twin tape spools at the top front, that everyone thought of when you said 'computer,' until the 1980s. The Goodies had one in their home, and I used to see them sometimes, because at weekends in the 1970s, I had swimming lessons at the university, where my Dad worked in the Computer Department. Afterwards, he'd take me up to the common room, and make me a cup of tea, and show me the computers.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I grew up in the 90's. For me that has been the best decade, the world seemed a much more innocent place and although technology was beginning to kick off it wasn't at a point were it seem you have to be glued to an electronic device to enjoy your life.

The music was nostalgic and Tv was great. Saturday nights were the best. Baywatch, You've Been Framed followed by Gladiators or Man O Man and then Blind Date.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The 70s and 80s were a bit before my time, but from what I remember of the 90s they weren't all that different from now. Although that might be because I was still a bit young to truly appreciate the fashions and popular culture of that era.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For music what we have now is what I call Grey music - just doesnt move me at all. I rely on things like the internet, mp3 players, and Absolute80s radio on DAB radio to avoid the grey goo.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I think the 70's and 80's were much more fun. There were bad times as well but they seemed a bit more balanced out with the good times.
    There's no fun now...most people are pretty miserable as all the news seems to be bad news.
    All we hear about now is corruption in religion, politics and sport etc. and lot's about unemployment, terrorism and natural disasters.
    Even the Olympics aren't lifting many peoples spirits it seems.
    Hope we get some good years ahead of us instead of all this doom and gloom.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Gosh... where to start?

The godfather 1&1.

Godfather 2 was good as well:)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I grew up in the 90's. For me that has been the best decade, the world seemed a much more innocent place and although technology was beginning to kick off it wasn't at a point were it seem you have to be glued to an electronic device to enjoy your life.

The music was nostalgic and Tv was great. Saturday nights were the best. Baywatch, You've Been Framed followed by Gladiators or Man O Man and then Blind Date.

I was born in 1990 so grew up in the 90s as well :D Gladiators was one of my favourite TV shows and I also used to watch YBF. Was never too keen on Blind Date though.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's was the best for me.

Great movies and music.

Movies and music nowadays are just rubbish in comparison.
  • Options
    Doubting ThomasDoubting Thomas Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    This economic meltdown has really taken a hit to this decade, the world still hasn't fully recovered and many people are still struggling.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm not bland, but I was born in the 90s and i preferred the 90s to the 00s, not sure what the 10s will be like, not good so far!
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.... it just depends on where you look. but people do spend far to much time on their phones imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In summer 1976, I remember my mother making orange flavoured ice cubes for me to suck to keep cool-and our back lawn being all dried up, with the grass starting to die.
    Ah yeah. The heatwave of '76. I remember running through the hosepipe and then sitting in a home made paddling pool made of wood and plastic sheeting Reading Bunty, Tammy, Judy etc annuals in a deckchair. And salad for dinner - Every. Single. Day.

I'm still puzzled about the hosepipe because I thought there was a hosepipe ban for pretty much the entire summer. But I distinctly remember hosepipes in lots of back gardens. Maybe our street was being naughty.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    The 2000s was a very serious decade, large scale global terrorism, high profile wars, global financial crisis...not really the best circumstances for great cultural events to occur, I suppose.

I know we've had such things in other decades, but the 90s by contrast was a more optimistic and prosperous decade I seem to remember.