Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,861
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd chip in on a shocking Christmas Night for the broadcasters, Michael McIntyre/Miranda/MBB (I.e- the comedies) in particular should have done much much better- No way McIntyre is getting a series following that one. Tonight will be interesting as there's the added curveball of a snow/rainy horrible day that I think will only benefit Avengers/Still Open All Hours- (If Skyfall can get c7m I'm expecting the same if not better. It has a huge following and is the top of the superhero movie tree) Got a horrible feeling BOAF will be sub 4m against AA too which would be a shame
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a funny feeling EastEnders and Corrie will be both down tonight. Also I think the avengers film will bring in 4.4m againt boaf at 6.1.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    BBC should have a shake up next Christmas. I think last night looked pretty stale.
    CTM and Miranda shouldn't have been on xmas day imo.

Christmas Eve

6:30pm-News
    6:45pm-Christmas LIVE (Entertainment show featuring special Guest' s,live music and Games)
    8:00pm-Doctor Who Christmas Special
    9:00pm-EastEnders
    9:30pm-Have I got news for you @ xmas?
    10:00pm-Not Going Out Christmas
    10:30pm-One foot in the Grave Christmas 1996
    11:30pm-News
    11:45pm Midnight Mass

Christmas Day

2:00pm-TOTP
    3:00pm-The Queen
    3:10pm-Film
    4:40pm-News
    5:00pmStrictly
    6:15pm EastEnders
    6:45pm Still Open All Hours? Christmas 1/2
    7:15pm Miranda Harts Generation Game
    8:15pm GBBO Christmas
    9:15pm EastEnders
    9:45pm Mrs Browns Boys
    10:30pm LIVE at the Apollo Christmas

Boxing Day

5:40pm-My Family (Xmas special)
    6:40pm-News
    7:00pm-Still Open All Hours? Christmas 2/2
    7:30pm-CTM
    9:00pm-EastEnders
    9:30pm-Film
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got a funny feeling EastEnders and Corrie will be both down tonight. Also I think the avengers film will bring in 4.4m againt boaf at 6.1.
    EastEnders is in it's normal Friday slot but it is against some Entertainment thing on ITV.

Corrie starts at 7:00pm but the second half hour might see it lift as that's it's normal Friday slot.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I think the biggest 'shocker' tonight could be Still Open All Hours. the novelty has gone and I can see a pretty brutal year-on-year fall coming unfortunately.

The timeslot is appalling too. I've no idea why they've put it in a poor slot given last year's numbers. :confused:

Anyway, thought I'd rejig BBC One's schedule based on yesterday's numbers. I can't think of many ways to rejig ITV's schedule, they certainly maximised Christmas Eve to their credit.
    Christmas Eve
    17:35 - FILM: Toy Story 3
    19:00 - Celebrity Mastermind (3/10)
    19:30 - EastEnders
    20:00 - Call the Midwife
    21:15 - Would I Lie To You?
    21:45 - Not Going Out
    22:30 - Mrs Brown's Boys (R)

Christmas Day
    16:55 - The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
    17:55 - EastEnders
    18:25 - The Boy in the Dress
    19:30 - EastEnders
    20:00 - Doctor Who
    21:00 - Miranda
    21:35 - Mrs Brown's Boys
    22:10 - Michael McIntyre's Very Christmassy Christmas Show

Boxing Day
    18:15 - Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special
    19:30 - Still Open All Hours
    20:00 - EastEnders
    20:30 - FILM: Marvel's Avengers Assemble

The Boy in the Dress should do at least 4.5m tonight, but who knows given recent numbers.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Oh wow. Particularly shocking for Miranda. Nearly 3m lower than her last special! :o:o

Doctor Who stank as well.

Dread to think how low ITV was!

They were plugging Miranda like crazy, but Mrs Brown's Boys has generally performed better when you look at both of their last series in 2013.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Caroline Ahearne hasn't been too well hence why the lack of Royle Family specials but I think they should do two final episodes to wrap it up next year.

Does she write her brilliant voice overs for Gogglebox?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Does she write her brilliant voice overs for Gogglebox?

Not sure TBH but voiceover work is much easier to do compared to a sitcom script and filming.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders is in it's normal Friday slot but it is against some Entertainment thing on ITV.

Corrie starts at 7:00pm but the second half hour might see it lift as that's it's normal Friday slot.

I can't see the special on itv against EastEnders will do much neither
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't see the special on itv against EastEnders will do much neither
    It's hard to say. I think EastEnders will be around 6.3m
    I think New years Day will rate it's highest episode in ages with that death and stunt playing out. It's an hour between Miranda and Mrs Brown too.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd chip in on a shocking Christmas Night for the broadcasters, Michael McIntyre/Miranda/MBB (I.e- the comedies) in particular should have done much much better- No way McIntyre is getting a series following that one.

I don't think McIntyre did all that badly, actually. It was airing at 10.30, and it was hardly inheriting all that many viewers anyway, was it?

I do agree though that MBB and Miranda were the two major let downs of the day. It'll be utterly fascinating to see how they fare on New Years Day.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re Dr Who
    Score wrote: »
    It was last year too. And the year before. And the year before. It won't change the picture.

It's been on for 10 years on 26th March, I doubt it's possible for it to be as fresh as it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I saw my 1st TG trailer this afternoon and it had the time and day on it.
    Robbie/Cylon will be pleased. :D

HALLELUJAH!
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't see the appeal of the third highest grossing film of all time?

I'd watch it but hate the Iron Man character, in fact I hate anything to do with Iron Man, tonight's top show will be Still Open All Hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I don't see the attraction of Netflex at all. Its just films and American TV programmes.

Never knew Hebburn, Royle Familly and Doctor Who were American tv shows? 😜

I'd recomend the U.S. version and Netflix original drama House of Cards, I loved the original British version but the American production is its equal.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Re Dr Who

It's been on for 10 years on 26th March, I doubt it's possible for it to be as fresh as it was.

It's been on since 1963 so 51 years, and regenerates itself. Sold to 120 countries brings in millions of income.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd watch it but hate the Iron Man character, in fact I hate anything to do with Iron Man, tonight's top show will be Still Open All Hours.

Even at 6.25pm? Will Still Open be close to last year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    With Corden based in the US from next year, I think a special is unlikely unless he can find the time to do it. He would have to write it and shoot it in his breaks from The Late Late Show,

Ruth Jones was the real talent behind G&S, Corden was really just a fat lad that wrote a few amusing lines, as for his Late Late Show longevity methinks it will be rather brief somewhat similar to Conan O'Briens tenure at the Tonight Show.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understand why the soaps (more so ITV soaps) are always 1hr episodes on Christmas day when they don't rate all that well.

With ITV, why don't they just have 30 min episodes of each and have 1hr specials on Boxing day. Use the 30 min episodes to build up to a bang, then have the big climax on Boxing day. Then ITV could air a big film (like they did with Bond on Christmas Eve. That did really well for them.

Last night, I, like many others probably did, recorded a lot of ITV to skip the ads, especially with Downton. 2hrs of Downton is too much, why not make it 90 minutes.
    They could have the soaps at 7pm until 8pm, then either have a big film like I said, or have an hour special one off show (drama, comedy etc) then downton.

Or why don't they take a big risk one year and have no soaps on Christmas Day and do what Channel 4 does with Hollyoaks. Have a special hour ep on Christmas Eve and hour special on Boxing day. I don't know if it would work or not but take the risk one year to find out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

If I'm being honest it will be kept as a seasonal event rather than a series, it's in a poor slot I agree but I reckon a few folk will be curious and tune back in but for the rest of its run I fear it may become the new Royal Bodyguard.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

I can see Still Open All Hours achieving the same overnight figures as Birds Of A Feather did last year - i.e. a bit over 6m., which is pretty decent for a sitcom in this day and age but a bit poor compared with last year's one-off.

Sunday's episode has a lead-in from Countryfile plus appalling competition (from a ratings point of view) from ITV, Unbelievable Moments Caught On Camera so it should be able to pick up 6m there. Reckon there's just enough people to buy into its old-fashioned, nostalgic appeal. I'm still watching it and finding it amusing rather than hilarious.

if I'm right, that would make SOAH the new Come Fly With Me. That launched with about 12m before falling back to 6-7m. A big drop but it would have been enough for BBC1 to commission a second series. (I believe it was Matt Lucas who said no, settling for the lazy option (little work required) of the Matt Lucas Awards.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never understand why the soaps (more so ITV soaps) are always 1hr episodes on Christmas day when they don't rate all that well.

With ITV, why don't they just have 30 min episodes of each and have 1hr specials on Boxing day. Use the 30 min episodes to build up to a bang, then have the big climax on Boxing day. Then ITV could air a big film (like they did with Bond on Christmas Eve. That did really well for them.

Last night, I, like many others probably did, recorded a lot of ITV to skip the ads, especially with Downton. 2hrs of Downton is too much, why not make it 90 minutes.
    They could have the soaps at 7pm until 8pm, then either have a big film like I said, or have an hour special one off show (drama, comedy etc) then downton.

Or why don't they take a big risk one year and have no soaps on Christmas Day and do what Channel 4 does with Hollyoaks. Have a special hour ep on Christmas Eve and hour special on Boxing day. I don't know if it would work or not but take the risk one year to find out.
    ITV was stale yesterday, played it safe, and struggled to go above 6 million with CS. Even DA, which at 2 hours long must have been very expensive, only just managed to beat an ailing Emmerdale, with 5.5 million. I know catch up might help DA, but the whole night was flat and stale.
    BBC One's mix of comedy, sci fi, period drama and chat seemed more diverse, but even here the viewing figures weren't that great. DW would probably do better on Christmas Eve as this is a night for superstition and fantasy and moving SCD, which was a proper BBC LE extravaganza last night, an hour later could have delivered it a million more viewers. MBB still does well, and should get rating of the day. but this year's didn't seem as funny.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really poor night for both BBC One and ITV, but no real surprise there.

Scheduling on both sides wasn't great; BBC shoving Miranda into (relatively) early evening was odd, Mrs Brown's Boys shouldn't have been that late and Strictly should not have been that side of 7pm. ITV's boring hourly junctions lacked any risk, and was incredibly safe. Both channels got what they deserved.

ITV's post Queen (early evening) scheduled looked awful on paper, and quite rightly tanked. I am surprised about the Elf cartoon doing that badly, but it didn't do too well on NBC either.

Timeshift and on-demand viewing will obviously have an effect, as will Netflix and Amazon, but if there was high quality, new television on Christmas Day, people might actually watch it.

One thing the Bake Off has proved this year is that if there is good, interesting television programming, the public will watch it at the time scheduled by the broadcasters. Unfortunately, none of them have quite cottoned on to that train of thought, so until then, we will be stuck with boring scheduling, middle of the road programming and on-demand services continuing to rise.

Also, in reply to Ken's earlier point, overnights do matter to commercial broadcasters. Timeshifted figures don't give a true picture of how commercials were watched and received by the public, and only overnights can convey that in a realistic way. Ironically, ITV's SOCI (Share of Commercial Impacts), the way ITV helps to sell its advertising, was down 6% to the end of October 31. Link to their half year results - http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/30/itv-profits-rise-brazil-world-cup
    However, ITV will be concerned by the drop in the amount of ads seen by viewers on its channels compared to rivals, referred to as share of commercial impacts.

ITV’s family of channels saw their share of commercial impacts fall 7%, the main channel dropped 5%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bigger and better episode of EastEnders tonight than last night for some reason.
    I do wonder if the BBC planned a triple Bill on Xmas day at one point?
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Bigger and better episode of EastEnders tonight than last night for some reason.
    I do wonder if the BBC planned a triple Bill on Xmas day at one point?

It was excellent.
This discussion has been closed.