Options

Called into my son's nursery today about my dad's inappropriate behaviour

Comments

• Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much notice did you give him when asking him to pick up your son?

Did you even ask if he had any plans or just assume he would do it?

Not excuse his actions but if you know your Dad is short tempered asking him to come out at the last minute in very bad weather (weather you struggled to cope with) is not going to make him in a very good mood.

In the current weather you Dad dont want be waiting around ages while you child plays. Was he early? Late? Arrive at your normal time? If he arrived at your normal time should not the nursery have your child ready? Again travelling in this weather is hard enough without any delays. Did it take your Dad any long to get back to your place? Maybe he had something to do and all this made him late?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Possibly pick your own child up from school - and don't impose on your dad? Its not his job.

You could ask him why he was so irritated and stressed - there may be other factors to explain his behaviour.
    The_don1 wrote: »

Not excuse his actions but if you know your Dad is short tempered asking him to come out at the last minute in very bad weather (weather you struggled to cope with) is not going to make him in a very good mood.

In the current weather you Dad dont want be waiting around ages while you child plays. Was he early? Late? Arrive at your normal time? If he arrived at your normal time should not the nursery have your child ready? Again travelling in this weather is hard enough without any delays. Did it take your Dad any long to get back to your place? Maybe he had something to do and all this made him late?

If his dad couldn't/wouldn't do it he should've just said no - there is NO excuse for behaviour like that. If anyone treated my daughters like that I would be furious and wouldn't be allowing them to be around them. Unacceptable.

Wizard, I'd leave it for them to get in contact if they want to and then explain calmly his behaviour was unacceptable and they won't be seeing your son unsupervised again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If his dad couldn't/wouldn't do it he should've just said no - there is NO excuse for behaviour like that. If anyone treated my daughters like that I would be furious and wouldn't be allowing them to be around them. Unacceptable.

Wizard, I'd leave it for them to get in contact if they want to and then explain calmly his behaviour was unacceptable and they won't be seeing your son unsupervised again.

Was he given a chance to say no? Or was it, "i can not pick him up so will you".

He might not even have said yes his wife might have picked up the phone and it was a case of "of course your dad will do it he not doing anything" Its not rare for us men to "volunteer" for something we dont know about.

At the moment there is little information to go on, Was he hanging around the nursery for along time? Did he drive and parked 15-20 minutes away? Was he parked outside with a traffic warden eyeing up his car as his only chance to write up a ticket that day. Had he just slipped over in the snow?

Everything is not just black and white,
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick your son up yourself simple,

Seems mum and dad aren't worth the misery and funny how quickly they can say your not welcome here anymore very strange sometimes there's more to a story. ;)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your dad's an idiot. Keep away from him and keep him away from your son. There sometimes comes a point where you have to dump your parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Your dad's an idiot. Keep away from him and keep him away from your son. There sometimes comes a point where you have to dump your parents.

Exactly,

Although they quite happy to not have them around again saying your not welcome so must be more to it all. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Don't smack your kids you animal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raligt wrote: »
    Don't smack your kids you animal!

That's probably why Dad thinks its ok to be aggressive. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was he given a chance to say no? Or was it, "i can not pick him up so will you".

He might not even have said yes his wife might have picked up the phone and it was a case of "of course your dad will do it he not doing anything" Its not rare for us men to "volunteer" for something we dont know about.

At the moment there is little information to go on, Was he hanging around the nursery for along time? Did he drive and parked 15-20 minutes away? Was he parked outside with a traffic warden eyeing up his car as his only chance to write up a ticket that day. Had he just slipped over in the snow?

Everything is not just black and white,

"I cannot pick him up so will you?" is a question that of course he could say "no I can't, you'll have to find another solution". I honestly would not think any of those situations and I can't think of any that would justify speaking and smacking a 2.5 year old (or any child) like the way the nursery staff have described. You just don't do it. I get frustrated by outside influences all the time but I NEVER let it show when dealing with my children. It's just not on.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    maxsi wrote: »
    Obviously needs sorting.... Could you son draw grandad picking him up from nursery... Worth a try as might be able to see something in the picture

Have you ever seen a 2 year old's drawings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I cannot pick him up so will you?" is a question that of course he could say "no I can't, you'll have to find another solution". I honestly would not think any of those situations and I can't think of any that would justify speaking and smacking a 2.5 year old (or any child) like the way the nursery staff have described. You just don't do it. I get frustrated by outside influences all the time but I NEVER let it show when dealing with my children. It's just not on.

But thats you belives.

His Dad does belive in smacking a child (I personally dont see a issue with it if used rarely).

If you dont agree with someone ways of displine a child then dont ask the person to look after you child just because you dont fancy going out in the snow (but you clearly dont mind sending a older person who is short tempered in this weather you dont want to go out in)
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

25 minutes notice and it takes him less than 5 minutes by car

I said if you're busy or don't want to, that's fine but I'd have to set off now if he couldn't, just to give me enough time to get there in the snow. I explained several times that I'd be prepared to go if he was too busy but I just didn't fancy it having battled with the pram in the snow that morning.

The roads were clear it's just the pavements that were dangerous. He wouldn't have struggled. He possibly did arrive on time seeing as it doesn't take very long for him to get there. The nursery is not far from his house. They never get the children ready for picking up. Something I think they should do especially if people are in a rush. I will suggest it to them. With regards to getting back, he was 20 minutes and I did think it was a long time. When he's done it before he's usually back by 10 past. Now that could have been due to my son messing about or (if he had been crying for whatever reason ) maybe he wanted to give him time to calm down before handing him over to me. My dad is retired and anything he had to do couldn't have been that urgent. Even so you don't take it out on a little boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a 2 year old's drawings?

awww but nowadays everyone is such a expert on the in goings on of persons mind a 2 year olds drawings will tell you if the child will grow up to work in the postroom or become a mass murderer now. I sure there has been a 5 minute piece on this morning about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But thats you belives.

His Dad does belive in smacking a child (I personally dont see a issue with it if used rarely).

If you dont agree with someone ways of displine a child then dont ask the person to look after you child just because you dont fancy going out in the snow (but you clearly dont mind sending a older person who is short tempered in this weather you dont want to go out in)

But the OP says he's never behaved this way toward his child before - sounds like he won't be entrusting him to do it again but that doesn't make it OK that he did it the first time. My Mum was a crappy Mum in lots of ways but is a great Grandma - however if she ever "slipped" and was crappy again I wouldn't think it was OK as that's how she used to be.
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your parents don't sound like good role models for your son tbh, maybe you should just keep your distance:(

Explain to the nursery that your Dad is stressed, and won't be picking up your son again, that should be the end of it as far as they're concerned, surely?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I guess this is bit different from the usual threads.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »

I said if you're busy or don't want to that's fine but I'd have to set off now if he couldn't to give me enough time to get there in the snow.

The roads were clear it's just the pavements that were dangerous. He wouldn't have struggled. He possibly did arrive on time seeing as it doesn't take very long for him to get there. The nursery is not far from his house. They never get the children ready for picking up. Something I think they should do especially if people are in a rush. I will suggest it to them. With regards to getting back, he was 20 minutes and I did think it was a long time. When he's done it before he's usually back by 10 past. Now that could have been due to my son messing about or (if he had been crying for whatever reason ) maybe he wanted to give him time to calm down before handing him over to me. My dad is retired and anything he had to do couldn't have been that urgent. Even so you don't take it out on a little boy.

BIB - you assume because he is retired that anything he does isn't urgent, have you actually bothered to ask him what he does all day? My parents are both retired and they have busy lives and actually do things during the day that to some may not seem urgent or important but to them they are. You also gave him 25 minutes warning, maybe he felt like he couldn't say no. I am not excusing his behaviour but you expect someone just because they are retired to drop everything because you don't want to go out in the snow and then you wonder why he is grumpy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems you lost mum and dad you'll soon realise how difficult life will be now, :cool:

Before you investigated you made your mind up already believing others before your parents, even if you made up it will always be between you,especially when they will never be allowed to look after your son alone so move on :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    Your parents don't sound like good role models for your son tbh, maybe you should just keep your distance:(

Explain to the nursery that your Dad is stressed, and won't be picking up your son again, that should be the end of it as far as they're concerned, surely?

Yes I've every intention of that and also have his access rights removed from the fingerprint scanner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I said if you're busy or don't want to that's fine but I'd have to set off now if he couldn't to give me enough time to get there in the snow.

If he any thing like alot of retired people i know he going to be more busy then if he was working. "Nothing that urgent" pretty dismisive of the way he spends his time dont you think?

25 minutes notice is not really that much is it? Ok it only takes 5 minutes in the car but he would still have to drive more slowly in the weather conditons etc, Could you have not phoned a hour or so before? The weather did not really change in 5-10 minutes did it? It was pretty much the same all day.

So he was either sitting around for 20 odd minutes calming your kid down or your son delayed him for 20 minutes?

Not saying he should have done what he did but if your son was still playing around after 20 minutes of Dad getting there again you can not blame someone you know has a short temper to be in a bad mood. Does your son normally make you hang around waiting for so long?

If so again you know your Dad is strict and while you accept waiting for your son, Your Dad would not think waiting around for a 2 year old child acceptable
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Possibly pick your own child up from school - and don't impose on your dad? Its not his job.

You could ask him why he was so irritated and stressed - there may be other factors to explain his behaviour.

It's not my job to take care of my nephew, but if I'm asked to do it that doesn't mean I get to treat him badly if I feel like it.

If I were you OP I wouldn't leave him alone with your son. It's not worth it.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know why you trusted your dad with your son im sure you have made other threads about how he is with you, your wife and son. :confused:

I read one ( maybe its the wrong poster?) where you said you did not like your parents looking after your child but as he was in bed it was OK to leave him there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    BIB - you assume because he is retired that anything he does isn't urgent, have you actually bothered to ask him what he does all day? My parents are both retired and they have busy lives and actually do things during the day that to some may not seem urgent or important but to them they are. You also gave him 25 minutes warning, maybe he felt like he couldn't say no. I am not excusing his behaviour but you expect someone just because they are retired to drop everything because you don't want to go out in the snow and then you wonder why he is grumpy!

Well I gave him adequate opportunity to say no if he didn't want to do it. You shouldn't agree to do something you don't want to do then get angry at people about it. Nevertheless that's still no excuse for walking into a nursery shouting bloody this and that and pulling a child around till he falls over.

The 'look at what you've bloody done now' line is a classic thing that an abusive person would say to divert the blame. It reminded me of a scene in an NSPCC advert from a few years back where it portrayed a father who beat his child then said, 'look at what you made me do now!' Abusive people are very good at diverting the blame and making the victim feel like they 'asked for it'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I gave him adequate opportunity to say no if he didn't want to do it. You shouldn't agree to do something you don't want to do then get angry at people about it. Nevertheless that's still no excuse for walking into a nursery shouting bloody this and that and pulling a child around till he falls over.

The 'look at what you've bloody done now' line is a classic thing that an abusive person would say to divert the blame. It reminded me of a scene in an NSPCC advert from a few years back where it portrayed a father who beat his child then said, 'look at what you made me do now!' Abusive people are very good at diverting the blame and.making the victim feel like they 'asked for it'.

Did your Dad abuse you?

If so can i ask why you leave him with them when you go to the gym and go out for weekends?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 'look at what you've bloody done now' line is a classic thing that an abusive person would say to divert the blame. It reminded me of a scene in an NSPCC advert from a few years back where it portrayed a father who beat his child then said, 'look at what you made me do now!' Abusive people are very good at diverting the blame and.making the victim feel like they 'asked for it'.

No you did not give him adequte time, He had to tell you that second if he could do it or not as you said "i have to leave now to get there"