Options

The four rapist in India to be hanged.

Comments

• Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rapists getting hung ? - good
    Hanging as a method of the death penalty ? - shotgun to the head would be simpler and less prone to mistakes.
    Death penalty as a sentence ? - You can say "if the person is guilty beyond ANY doubt whatsoever, then yes", but I say no because I do not believe any legal system could guarantee NOT to make a mistake.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    It's not knee jerk though is it? You haven't answered my question about your own daughter being the victim.

I have now replied. Sorry, I'm not a swift typist.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now replied. Sorry, I'm not a swift typist.

You are a brave person if you could forgive and still live in the same area as the murderers.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with the death penalty, and have not changed my mind, but this case has really sickened me in its depravity.

What really makes my blood boil is the pathetic "sentence" that the so called juvenile received, as he should share the sentence of the other scum whatever it would be. As to what I would like to see, that would be whole life for all these "men" and hope they live a long long time in jail to realise that they will never be free to walk among civilised human beings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are a brave person if you could forgive and still live in the same area as the murderers.

Who said I've forgiven? I just don't hate any more as hatred would damage me far more than have any effect on them.

My daughter wasn't murdered-medical negligence.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    I disagree with the death penalty, and have not changed my mind, but this case has really sickened me in its depravity.

What really makes my blood boil is the pathetic "sentence" that the so called juvenile received, as he should share the sentence of the other scum whatever it would be. As to what I would like to see, that would be whole life for all these "men" and hope they live a long long time in jail to realise that they will never be free to walk among civilised human beings.

I share your views on the death penalty but in a case like this, I tend to agree with the American "juvenile tried as an adult" method, particularly for juveniles close to the dividing line as in this case.

Either that, or the juvenile "discount" on sentence should be a sliding scale according to age, when this particular animal would have got say one step down from the others (say a life sentence instead of death).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »

My anger is not with the actual sentence-that is the law in India, but the very fact the the punishment is as it is. what sort of society believes that 3 years is an acceptable punishment for this crime?

People in India were outraged when the details of this crime became known, and rightly so, but what a reflection on their society where the lives of women are taken so cheaply. The best memorial for this young woman would be a change in attitudes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor argument.

No it isn't. It's the way things are done in a civilised society and its the reason why we have a justice system that is completely separate to those involved with the crime itself. How is that a poor argument?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Yes, it should. And hanging these four animlas will let other men know that hunting down girls in packs and torturing them to death in the most hideous way is not an acceptable sport. Such crimes are common in India. For such men, only the thought of what THEY might suffer might deter.

The death penalty will not deture anyone. There needs to be a completely different change in how women a treated in India, that does not come from hanging some rapists
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who said I've forgiven? I just don't hate any more as hatred would damage me far more than have any effect on them.

My daughter wasn't murdered-medical negligence.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I know that will make no difference, your also probably sick of hearing that, but I am
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    The death penalty will not deture anyone. There needs to be a completely different change in how women a treated in India, that does not come from hanging some rapists

Murdering rapists.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    No it isn't. It's the way things are done in a civilised society and its the reason why we have a justice system that is completely separate to those involved with the crime itself. How is that a poor argument?

it's been said that prisoners who have nothing to look forward to become even more dangerous and therefore endangering the prison guards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to hear about that. I know that will nomake no difference, your also probably sick of hearing that, but I am

Kind words and thoughts are never wasted.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    it's been said that prisoners who have nothing to look forward to become even more dangerous and therefore endangering the prison guards.

Very true.
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They deserve all they get and more.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Why not?

Because of what they did! That poor girl died of horrific injuries, caused by a group of thugs, who probably thought they would get away with it. For all we know, they may have even done it before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sure you may be right, but I don't think 'because the prisoners might get a bit difficult' is a sufficient argument for the death penalty
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that all are guilty then I can't say that I care very much.

Beyond reasonable doubt is the normal burden of proof.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be burned alive.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it bad of me to say " serves them right".

No.

I won't be shedding any tears.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I oppose the death penalty in all its forms.
    this.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    I am sure you may be right, but I don't think 'because the prisoners might get a bit difficult' is a sufficient argument for the death penalty

When you say "get a bit difficult" do you mean endangering the life of prison warders and other prisoners?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I oppose the death penalty in all its forms.
    Could not have put it better myself, and I hope one day every country in the world alongside the UK will be a signatory to the UN's Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, aiming at the abolition of the death penalty. Including India.
  • Options
    anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bizarre turn of phrase.:eek: I'm not sure what difference the instrument used makes to the punishment for murder. Capital punishment is morally wrong and simply doesn't work as a deterrent. That's why most civilised countries don't practise it anymore.
    anais32 wrote: »
    This punishment won't do anything to solve the problem of sexual abuse of women in india. It's essentially there to shut up the howlers for the moment so it doesn't have to look at how it can implement strong policies to deal with the high levels of sexual violence which means dealing with serious gender inequality.

I'm from India. I can honestly say this punishment will put off people who think they can get away with rape.May be for some countries,capital punishment won't make much change.But in India,many guys think that they can commit a crime and get away with it and live a happy life. Their dark minds will think twice in future before committing these kind of crimes if there is a capital punishment.

I never took pleasure in capital punishments,but this morning after hearing the verdict,I felt such a relief with tears and thought now only that poor girl's soul will rest in peace. How much those guys tortured her and her boyfriend? Serves them right. So satisfied.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had they done that here, they'd be let off after good behaviour & given new identities....