Options

Potential ban on taking hand luggage onto an airplane

124»

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those that think an explosive in a laptop in the hold is any different to an explosive in the cabin, please explain how you reached that conclusion.

The security measures are put in place in case an explosive is smuggled into the cabin. This would suggest that the scanners and security measures in place for hand luggage aren't up to scratch. Therefore the assumption is that the security measures and scanners for hold luggage is far better at detecting explosives.

But seeing as the same equipment is used for hold luggage as well as hand luggage, how does transferring the explosive to the hold benefit anyone?

And if the explosive detecting equipment in the hold is better than that in the cabin, why not upgrade the cabin security equipment to make it safer all round?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    For those that think an explosive in a laptop in the hold is any different to an explosive in the cabin, please explain how you reached that conclusion.

The security measures are put in place in case an explosive is smuggled into the cabin. This would suggest that the scanners and security measures in place for hand luggage aren't up to scratch. Therefore the assumption is that the security measures and scanners for hold luggage is far better at detecting explosives.

But seeing as the same equipment is used for hold luggage as well as hand luggage, how does transferring the explosive to the hold benefit anyone?

And if the explosive detecting equipment in the hold is better than that in the cabin, why not upgrade the cabin security equipment to make it safer all round?

Ah but it's easy to detonate a device hidden in an item of hand baggage whereas it's not as easy to achieve the same result with an item of hold baggage.

Because electronic timers don't exist.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I bet you still have locks on your doors.

And? Doesn't mean I fret over stuff being pinched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And? Doesn't mean I fret over stuff being pinched.

Ah, right.

I guess you just fitted those locks because they make your doors look pretty, right?
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/541725/REVEALED-Al-Qaeda-plot-to-blow-up-5-European-passenger-jets-in-Christmas-spectacular

Could we end up with having to take any essential items (such as passports, money and travel documents) in a clear plastic bag, with no other hand luggage being allowed on board?

Awesome. More regulation that makes flying an absolute misery.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,601
    Forum Member
    Ah, right.

I guess you just fitted those locks because they make your doors look pretty, right?

Well, you wouldn't be covered for insurance without them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, right.

I didn't fit them. :confused:
    Are you suggesting anyone who has door locks frets and worries the whole time they are out.

I don't have extra security just one lock on each door that come with the door. No window locks, no alarm and doors can opened by anyone walking by when I'm at home.
    I lock them when I go out or my insurance would be invalid. Im not worried but not stupid either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't fit them. :confused:
    Are you suggesting anyone who has door locks frets and worries the whole time they are out.

Nope.

I'm simply pointing out that you almost certainly take various measures to protect your "stuff", which makes your criticisms of other people's desire to secure their "stuff" rather hypocritical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.

I'm simply pointing out that you almost certainly take various measures to protect your "stuff", which makes your criticisms of other people's desire to secure their "stuff" rather hypocritical.

Not really. If it wasn't a requirement to have doors locked for insurance purposes I would never lock them. I don't worry about my stuff in the way you suggest.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    As for a total ban, it's a non starter. Many passengers have to carry medicine with them at all times i.e diabetics etc.

yep and asthmatics and the normal medication most people over a certain age have like BP pills or heart pills. No way would I put meds in a suitcase. Too many cases reach a different destination!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really. If it wasn't a requirement to have doors locked for insurance purposes I would never lock them. I don't worry about my stuff in the way you suggest.

Insurance purposes?

Why does somebody who "doesn't care about stuff" even have insurance?

So, you have insurance so you can replace your stuff, you lock your doors to secure your stuff but somebody suggesting they want to keep an expensive item close at hand is completely incomprehensible to you?

As somebody once said, when you're in a hole, stop digging. :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I went in September, after all this business in the news. Wasn't asked to power it up. The only thing I had to do was take it out of my bag and put it in a container to be scanned.

Most of these stories seem to be blown out of proportion. There were suggestions at the time that it was only for US flights. Would love to know if people on DS have been asked to power their laptops up on holiday this year, and where they were travelling to.

I went to Germany in August and didn't have to power up my laptop or mobile devices at all. I just took it out of my bag and placed it in a container as normal. Maybe it wasn't necessary on EU flights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insurance purposes?

Why does somebody who "doesn't care about stuff" even have insurance?

So, you have insurance so you can replace your stuff, you lock your doors to secure your stuff but somebody suggesting they want to keep an expensive item close at hand is completely incomprehensible to you?

As somebody once said, when you're in a hole, stop digging. :D
    Let's compair like for like if I carried my my TV, laptop etc round with me you might have a point, but I don't,
    I don't even lock my doors half the time.
    I have to have insurance it's in my agreement.
    Having lost my stuff a few times over the years and restarting from scratch I can say without exaggeration that losing anything that isnt alive isn't worrying or scary to me.

But we all know here that you will keep on untill I give up thus declaring yourself victorious. Fill your boots. Im done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Germany in August and didn't have to power up my laptop or mobile devices at all. I just took it out of my bag and placed it in a container as normal. Maybe it wasn't necessary on EU flights.

They can't do it to everyone or even half the flight as would take way to long.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    yep and asthmatics and the normal medication most people over a certain age have like BP pills or heart pills. No way would I put meds in a suitcase. Too many cases reach a different destination!

They already make exceptions diabetics, allowing us to take sharp objects on board, so I assume a blanket ban isn't a serious consideration. If it is, I'll be in trouble, as I'm attached to two very expensive electronic medical devices 24 hours a day, and I my supplies need their own suitcase. There's no way I'd let it or any other valuables go in a hold.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,601
    Forum Member
    Let's compair like for like if I carried my my TV, laptop etc round with me you might have a point, but I don't,
    I don't even lock my doors half the time.
    I have to have insurance it's in my agreement.
    Having lost my stuff a few times over the years and restarting from scratch I can say without exaggeration that losing anything that isnt alive isn't worrying or scary to me.

But we all know here that you will keep on untill I give up thus declaring yourself victorious. Fill your boots. Im done

Well said. Si is clearly just arguing for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Well said. Si is clearly just arguing for the sake of it.

Hardly.

I'm not the one arbitrarily criticising others for the choices they make.
    I'm simply pointing out the double standard that's in evidence.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as an already nervous flyer who is travelling to Rome tomorrow this wins my " I wish I'd never clicked on" thread award of 2014 :eek: