Options

How does someone who is 17 get so much attitude and "swagger"

Comments

• Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not if you have been bullied all your life, i kind of sucks it out of you.

Very true. It doesn't seem to ring true that she was bullied, because of the way she is.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZipGypsy wrote: »
    Must admit, I fnd it very surprising (a nice way to put it) how confident Cher is....for her young age. I keep waiting to be told it's all a lie and she's really 26.
    She does have a very old looking face :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    She's not an "artist" she's a contestant on a reality show. Whether she will become an "artist" awaits to be seen.

Either way if that's how she want's to put herself across I don't see the problem.

I think she comes across as a bit big headed when she's talking to the judges and she lets herself down but when she's performing I don't see a problem with her being confident.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does have a very old looking face :o

I think her face looks young :D
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondered.

She has way too much attitude for someone so young, if she had he attitude of say Rebecca, she would be way more likable.

Her "Swagger" and manner of speaking puts me in mind of a surly drunk rather than anything else. If I had to guess what got her that attitude, I'd guess vodka.
    It may just be all in my head, and I don't dislike her at all. I think she is just a kid battling for an amazing chance. I just see her slow responses, curled up lip and slightly slurred speech and it reminds me of a drunk person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Cher :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Just wondered.

She has way too much attitude for someone so young, if she had he attitude of say Rebecca, she would be way more likable.

Rebecca has no attitude. She has no personality, full stop. She is a drone who repeats the same lines about confidence EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK.

Cher is far more interesting, and that's why even if she doesn't win, assuming she signs with a good record label genuinely interested in her, I think she'll enjoy some success. Should Rebecca win, she'll be the Joe McElderry of the female winners, unless they transform her into something completely different.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    Her VT attitude and such like stinks and doesn't make her likeable at all - just self centered and not a nice or pleasant person, with her curled up lip, snarl and slurry speech :(
    Too full of herself :(
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    Her "Swagger" and manner of speaking puts me in mind of a surly drunk rather than anything else. If I had to guess what got her that attitude, I'd guess vodka.
    It may just be all in my head, and I don't dislike her at all. I think she is just a kid battling for an amazing chance. I just see her slow responses, curled up lip and slightly slurred speech and it reminds me of a drunk person.

My daughter said similar last night. She said that she reminds you of the acquaintance that always embarasses you when you're out by getting aggressive after a few drinks.
  • Options
    ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Just wondered.

why has Cher too much swagger, you don't say? Please clarify your statement. Thanks.
  • Options
    ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Rebecca has no attitude. She has no personality, full stop. She is a drone who repeats the same lines about confidence EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK.

Cher is far more interesting, and that's why even if she doesn't win, assuming she signs with a good record label genuinely interested in her, I think she'll enjoy some success. Should Rebecca win, she'll be the Joe McElderry of the female winners, unless they transform her into something completely different.

totally agree
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've read a few posts like this and am puzzled. In all seriousness, can you give me an example of something Cher has SAID that demonstrates a more attractive personality than Rebecca's lovely, understated humility? A direct quote? I really think I've been missing something because people keep going on about how she has a 'better personality' than Rebecca, but all I've ever heard out of her are grunts and hackneyed lines like 'I'm enjoying myself up there', 'I'm in it to win it' etc, etc,
    I would love a genuine response from a Cher fan to this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondered.

Its the Romany way, I suspect. Not now of course, but Romanys/ travellers etc, in the past were considered very lowly creatures who didn't work. Chers song (The other one)Gypsy, tramps and theives was a very good example of peoples incorrect perception of them in the past. So I suppose resilience was the order of the day to remain the proud people they are in the wake of such vitriol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is representative of not only the breakdown of quality music and matters of taste, but also of a broken Britain, a once proud nation, that once had a sense of class and pride, but is now going to the dogs. She succinctly sums up the image of cider swilling and aggressive, asbo teens hanging in parks or on street corners late at night, the cliche of using badly written rap as their passion and aim in life, but their future likely a short stint on the Jeremy Kyle show, and to be the focus of sordid tabloid trash stories. Role model? God help the parrents and the nation.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I love Cher there is nothing wrong with being confident.

She is fantastic.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on here made a good point about the difference in Cher and Mary's VT's last night. When Mary was shown buying the cd she commented how she hoped it would sell well as our troops deserve it. Whereas with Cher, it was all about her and how she hoped next time she would be holding a copy of her winner's cd. It could just be down to poor or choice editing but she just doesn't come across as a very nice girl to me. It is great to have confidence but there is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance and I think that she has crossed that line big time.

As for the comments about Cher being unique and having a personality and Rebecca being dull and boring, I think that is down to the fact that Rebecca is shy. Of course Rebecca has a personality, but I just think that she hasn't had the confidence to let go a bit and let her hair down. Either way, she comes across as a far more genuine and likeable than little miss attitude Cher.
  • Options
    Topcat1976Topcat1976 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    A lot of 'Travellers' are very clever and clued on and seem to know how to get what they want - and many will go any distance to get what they want, however, a lot of travellers have their own type of language/talk/slang and many find it difficult to read and write because of this language (I actually work with a fantastic young traveller child) as a guess Cher may find communication difficult depending on how long she was a traveller for and where her roots are, these lack of skills may have brought about this swag as everyone calls it - of course she may also simply be ignorant :rolleyes:

Also there are some very nice travellers who will do anything to help anyone - I sort of get the feel Cher isn't one of these :)
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's pretty sexy for a 17 year old. Not that I should have thoughts like that at my age..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's pretty sexy for a 17 year old.

My thoughts exactly

P.S. I'm 24 so I don't have any guilty feelings :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's pretty sexy for a 17 year old. Not that I should have thoughts like that at my age..

Aggressive bag of bones don't do it for me personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't she only 'travelling' up until she was about two, and then moved into a house with relatives? Its a bit of a tenuous link to say this is the reason for her cocky behaviour. Not much of a compliment for travellers in general, either! :D
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Johnnyto wrote: »
    She is representative of not only the breakdown of quality music and matters of taste, but also of a broken Britain, a once proud nation, that once had a sense of class and pride, but is now going to the dogs. She succinctly sums up the image of cider swilling and aggressive, asbo teens hanging in parks or on street corners late at night, the cliche of using badly written rap as their passion and aim in life, but their future likely a short stint on the Jeremy Kyle show, and to be the focus of sordid tabloid trash stories. Role model? God help the parrents and the nation.

Oh please! Don't you think you attaching just a bit too much significance to one teenager's, not particuarly outrageous behaviour on a talent show. Get over yourself please, you sound like you are writing for the Daily Mail (and not well!). You seem to have randomly chosen from their list of cliches about 'bad' young people (because the youth of today - y'know!). I really don't think society is in any danger of collapse quite yet.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    Someone on here made a good point about the difference in Cher and Mary's VT's last night. When Mary was shown buying the cd she commented how she hoped it would sell well as our troops deserve it. Whereas with Cher, it was all about her and how she hoped next time she would be holding a copy of her winner's cd. It could just be down to poor or choice editing but she just doesn't come across as a very nice girl to me. It is great to have confidence but there is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance and I think that she has crossed that line big time.

As for the comments about Cher being unique and having a personality and Rebecca being dull and boring, I think that is down to the fact that Rebecca is shy. Of course Rebecca has a personality, but I just think that she hasn't had the confidence to let go a bit and let her hair down. Either way, she comes across as a far more genuine and likeable than little miss attitude Cher.

I agree with you, I think she came across very badly in that VT - arrogant and not very nice. Cher would do well to remember why she recorded the winner's single in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I think Cher is a little 2 cocky but it may be because what people have mentioned about her upbringing and having to be tough because of that.

But fair play 2 her if she got bullied at school and she got loads of confidence, i am 27 i got bullied at high school and it STILL affects my confidence
  • Options
    Topcat1976Topcat1976 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    JohnHughes wrote: »
    Wasn't she only 'travelling' up until she was about two, and then moved into a house with relatives? Its a bit of a tenuous link to say this is the reason for her cocky behaviour. Not much of a compliment for travellers in general, either! :D

I'm not to sure, if that's the case then I don't see why people keep saying she's a traveller or bringing up these roots,(other than a sob story for the papers) I'm not saying that this is the only reason for her cocky behaviour btw :) but it may have played a part but if she was only travelling till about two then your right it shoudn't be the case. I tried to word it as best I could without offending anyone - so sorry if I have it was never intended to offend :):)