Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    "The work ethic is evil" :D:D:D

http://www.herinst.org/sbeder/workethic/grave.html

I am going to do something that is very rarely done and that is question the work ethic. The work ethic is one of the most neglected problems in society today, and at the root of many social ills and environmental problems. It’s at the heart of what I propose is a major environmental problem; there is too much production in affluent countries. All of the things we are producing day after day are not only creating a huge environmental impact - in terms of resource use, pollution, waste disposal and so on - but in order to get people to buy this huge amount of products, we are constantly bombarded with advertisements and marketing and turned into hyper-consumers. We are taught to be discontent with our lot. Subsequently, we have a situation in our society where the work ethic has become pathological. It was once very useful and important to the development of Western societies but no longer.
  • Options
    Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam is volunteering yes and you can do that on JSA.
    But he has no intention of taking a job that he doesn't like, and is happy to sponge off the taxpayer until something comes along that he likes.
    He should be applying for everything, take the first job that comes along, and then while in paid employment look for his ideal job. Not take from the taxpayer in the manner that he is.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Koantemplation in defending being a lazy git shocker as usual then

You seem to care an awful lot about people you dont know.

Heres a tip. Society doesnt give a **** about your life so keep your nose out of everyone elses life.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    right want someone to judge judge me if you like i don't care, i have nothing to be ashamed of

in 1997 my dad had his accident, same year my mumg gets bad so she goes into hospital i was looking after dad at the age of 13 and he helped me , we had no money coming in, dad used whatever money he had on food etc, he went without food himself so i would eat, the stress of situation was getting to me then, i missed quite a bit of school, my gcse results were terrible,(highest i got was a D) (yep im an idiot but a caring idiot) just call me Forest Gump ;)

i went to college in 2000 for 4 years various courses)
    when mum was ill, family came first, my college work had to come second because dad couldn't cope on his own, luckly i had some understanding tutors, i achieved a passICT intermediate, i finished part of the Advanced level but the programming (visual basic) aspect was way over my head

was unemployed between 2004 - 2010 (had loads of interviews during that time, in between looking after mum when she got bad, and 3 stays in hospital for various physical problems) , my father n early died of pneumonia in 2009 so i was looking after him on my own when mum was bad again

have done some volunteer work when i could

in 2010 everything came to a head and my mental health declined badly, had been self harming for years but that increased inf frequency, just needed to cut myself to take away the pain in my head

am now nearing the age of 30 and do not wish to be on benefits and stuck here (i still live with my parents, i feel like i have failed and am seriously considering taking something sharp to my wrist if i dont find some job soon, i have worked hard for years caring, yet i am made to feel like a scrounger

yeah i am evil i have a laptop my dad bought me, a PS3 (have had it 3 years barely played it, do not get the time) a phone that is on contract (so sue me)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liam is volunteering yes and you can do that on JSA.
    But he has no intention of taking a job that he doesn't like, and is happy to sponge off the taxpayer until something comes along that he likes.
    He should be applying for everything, take the first job that comes along, and then while in paid employment look for his ideal job. Not take from the taxpayer in the manner that he is.
    But what employer would want someone who doesn't really want to work for them?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    igw wrote: »
    This was all a bit rich, in a week when the beeb was exposed giving hugely inflated handouts to executives.
    Perhaps, next week, Nick and Margaret might visit Amazon, Vodaphone, Apple and Starbucks ?

Yes, let's see them sticking their snouts into tax evasion by some of the UK's biggest companies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to care an awful lot about people you dont know.

Heres a tip. Society doesnt give a **** about your life so keep your nose out of everyone elses life.

How did you cope watching a tv programme about this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    How did you cope watching a tv programme about this?

How did YOU cope? You seem to froth at the mouth of people you will never meet in your life.
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    right want someone to judge judge me if you like i don't care, i have nothing to be ashamed of

Everyone has a story, some harder than others.

Do not allow generalisations to distress you. People have views in broad groupings. Almost every person, when faced with another individual person in trouble, will be sympathetic and supportive.

It is perfectly acceptable for people,on benefits to live a normal standard of living which includes a TV, mobile, a computer, a few drinks, a night out, a take away etc.

In fact it is unreasonable to expect them NOT to have those things on a long term basis.

Don't become derailed, get stronger and I wish you luck and happiness in finding your way out of a very difficult situation.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

in 1997 my dad had his accident, same year my mumg gets bad so she goes into hospital i was looking after dad at the age of 13 and he helped me , we had no money coming in, dad used whatever money he had on food etc, he went without food himself so i would eat, the stress of situation was getting to me then, i missed quite a bit of school, my gcse results were terrible,(highest i got was a D) (yep im an idiot but a caring idiot) just call me Forest Gump ;)

i went to college in 2000 for 4 years various courses)
    when mum was ill, family came first, my college work had to come second because dad couldn't cope on his own, luckly i had some understanding tutors, i achieved a passICT intermediate, i finished part of the Advanced level but the programming (visual basic) aspect was way over my head

was unemployed between 2004 - 2010 (had loads of interviews during that time, in between looking after mum when she got bad, and 3 stays in hospital for various physical problems) , my father n early died of pneumonia in 2009 so i was looking after him on my own when mum was bad again

have done some volunteer work when i could

in 2010 everything came to a head and my mental health declined badly, had been self harming for years but that increased inf frequency, just needed to cut myself to take away the pain in my head

am now nearing the age of 30 and do not wish to be on benefits and stuck here (i still live with my parents, i feel like i have failed and am seriously considering taking something sharp to my wrist if i dont find some job soon, i have worked hard for years caring, yet i am made to feel like a scrounger

yeah i am evil i have a laptop my dad bought me, a PS3 (have had it 3 years barely played it, do not get the time) a phone that is on contract (so sue me)

I don't think anyone is :confused: My mum is bi-polar but I don't really want to share that story here as you have told us yours but there are some similarities. But I am older than you and despite being homeless briefly and health problems, I've met and married a supportive man and we battle through without benefits. I do not think that your situation correlates to anyone on the programme. My point with Liam is different. Just the same as your situation is different to mine. Hope it all works out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »

Do not allow generalisations to distress you. People have views in broad groupings. Almost every person, when faced with another individual person in trouble, will be sympathetic and supportive.

It is perfectly acceptable for people,on benefits to live a normal standard of living which includes a TV, mobile, a computer, a few drinks, a night out, a take away etc.

In fact it is unreasonable to expect them NOT to have those things on a long term basis.

Don't become derailed, get stronger and I wish you luck and happiness in finding your way out of a very difficult situation.

thanks :), i ill try, have used up alot of my strength over the years, physical and emotional, am trying to get better but i keep[ on getting setbacks, went for a job 3 weeks ago, my nerves were go bad i broke down in the interview, to be fair it was my first in 3 years ( i haven't heard anything back from that not surprisingly

last week i went to screening for a part time retail job, minimum wage, i thought fine it will be some experience to put on my CV, i had only found out about the screening the same morning at about 3 hours notice so i was eager to attend if it meant a job, i was informed today that i didn't get through to the interview stage, was gutted :(

Shadow27 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is :confused: My mum is bi-polar but I don't really want to share that story here as you have told us yours but there are some similarities. But I am older than you and despite being homeless briefly and health problems, I've met and married a supportive man and we battle through without benefits. I do not think that your situation correlates to anyone on the programme. My point with Liam is different. Just the same as your situation is different to mine. Hope it all works out.

• Options
    Forum Member

This is the issue I have most of all. Look, fine, tell people on benefits they should get a job, of course they should. But the thing that pisses me right off is this CRAZY insistence that people on benefits are sub human, they cant enjoy 1 second of life while on benefits with absolutely no pleasures in life.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What really incensed me about this programme was when the single mum (Kelly?) was buying a chicken in the supermarket and the truly dreadful woman who was monitoring her was questioning why she had to make a meal for her children, and telling her it was cheaper to buy chicken pieces than a full chicken. It's not.

If this ignorant twit had said anything like that to me when I was a single parent on benefits she would have had to have the said chicken surgically removed.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I can only imagine that Nick was somehow screwed over by the producers. He's always been a strong Labour supporter and I just don't see him endorsing such a biased programme as this. :confused:

I didn't watch the program only skimmed a tiny bit of the thread.
    Just the program title was enough to put me off with that starting premise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What really incensed me about this programme was when the single mum (Kelly?) was buying a chicken in the supermarket and the truly dreadful woman who was monitoring her was questioning why she had to make a meal for her children, and telling her it was cheaper to buy chicken pieces than a full chicken. It's not.

If this ignorant twit had said anything like that to me when I was a single parent on benefits she would have had to have the said chicken surgically removed.

Yes but she created her own cleaning company, and as a single parent.

So she has every right to tell her, wrongly, how to cook. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only people with some sort of mental and/or physical handicap should be on benefits and treated to the apparent luxuries of it. Anyone else on benefits should preferably do something other than sitting and eating to the heart's content, and popping out babies.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, considering that the programme admitted that only a small fraction of the benefits bill goes on the unemployed, I wonder if any of the working families shown actually claim benefits - tax credits? Perhaps they don't see these as benefits, but as entitlements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nine-Nine wrote: »
    Only people with some sort of mental and/or physical handicap should be on benefits and treated to the apparent luxuries of it. Anyone else on benefits should preferably do something other than sitting and eating to the heart's content, and popping out babies.

isnt a mental illness a disability, as for being overweight i have said to many people don't hate me because i am beautiful and as for popping out babies i have never done that :p never will hopefully :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the issue I have most of all. Look, fine, tell people on benefits they should get a job, of course they should. But the thing that pisses me right off is this CRAZY insistence that people on benefits are sub human, they cant enjoy 1 second of life while on benefits with absolutely no pleasures in life.

It is simply ridiculous to think people can live without the things that become the norm or basics for all of us.
    Years ago fridges were a luxury, now you're poor unless you have a fridge.
    And that's all there is to it.
    I wouldn't think a person on benefits should never go to the local pub quiz or take the kids for an ice cream.
    If you have no job it's hard enough to stay part of a peer group without sitting at home in the dark while your friends and family go for a pizza and movie.

Yes some people take the pee, they work and claim, live with people they don't declare, lie about medicals, conceal savings etc.
    BUT most people are just trying to have a life the best they can without ripping anyone off.

I'm fortunate to have always worked when I wanted to and earned a very good salary when I did. If I want a bottle of wine, a manicure or a new top I don't have to agonise about it.
    I was out earlier and hadnt planned what to eat this eveming so I bought a quick dinner for two today, I spent £17. Just for a week day supper. Watching this tonight I realise what a lot of money that seems.

I just think Im lucky to have always been able provide for myself.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is simply ridiculous to think people can live without the things that become the norm or basics for all of us.
    I wouldn't think a person on benefits should never go to the local pub quiz or take the kids for an ice cream.
    If you have no job it's hard enough to stay part of a peer group without sitting at home in the dark while your friends and family go for a pizza and movie.

Yes some people take the pee, they work and claim, live with people they don't declare, lie about medicals, conceal savings etc.
    BUT most people are just trying to have a life the best they can without ripping anyone off.

I'm fortunate to have always worked when I wanted to and earned a very good salary when I did. If I want a bottle of wine, a manicure or a new top I don't have to agonise about it.
    I was out earlier and hadnt planned what to eat this eveming so I bought a quick dinner for two today, I spent £17. Just for a week day supper. Watching this tonight I realise what a lot of money that seems.

Perhaps the unemployed could have a P F or X sprayed on their homes to indicate that they have a flat screen TV X Box or Playstation so that the righteous could go and throw stones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks :), i ill try, have used up alot of my strength over the years, physical and emotional, am trying to get better but i keep[ on getting setbacks, went for a job 3 weeks ago, my nerves were go bad i broke down in the interview, to be fair it was my first in 3 years ( i haven't heard anything back from that not surprisingly

last week i went to screening for a part time retail job, minimum wage, i thought fine it will be some experience to put on my CV, i had only found out about the screening the same morning at about 3 hours notice so i was eager to attend if it meant a job, i was informed today that i didn't get through to the interview stage, was gutted :(

)
    Well you've had that experience now so you will be better next time.
    The most important thing is you take something from each day. Live your best life Steve, it's really all you have and ....... It is what it is. :)
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

I just have to agree with you.

Many years ago my domestic science teacher set an exam question - ''A Refridgerator is a Necessity. Discuss.''

This was in the mid-fifties and I argued passionately that it was a luxury. She failed me and fuelled an anger for what I perceived as injustice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    £400 isn't cheap when JSA is less than £300 a month. :eek:

As he said, he lives rent free in a relative's house, the relative pays household bills, and his family lend him money. He is not living that way "on benefits". He isn't a typical claimant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh. Who is this appealing to, exactly? Shame on the BBC for broadcasting this kind of condescending, inflammatory rubbish.

Two trumped up business types with no basis for telling anybody anything following poor people around telling them how to spend their money.

Ugly television with ugly sentiments, appeasing stupid people with ignorant viewpoints on the value and necessity of the welfare system in a progressive society.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Is she having a laugh about him on £70 a week? She should try it :rolleyes:

Really nasty piece of work, isn't she.