The All-New 'Upstairs, Downstairs'

13»

Comments

• Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    I hope the BBC don't bring it back and ruiin it as they did with the remake of Auf Weidershen Pet.

It wasn't a remake it was a continuation which I quite enjoyed, sorry to disagree.
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    Also there stuck in the 1930's as upstairs ended in the 1920's.

The final episode of the original series ended in the summer of 1930.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ0COWGbWSI&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    taking some big liberties here, the only link from the old show, Rose, and 35 years later she is 6 years older, hmmm

Roughly how old was she supposed to be when the original show finished ?

That and in the Upstairs Downstairs universe if only 6 years will have passed Hudson and the former Mrs. Bridges will still be running their Seaview Guest House in Hastings lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the other period drama set in the 1920's that was created by Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins

The House of Elliot - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_Elliot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've missed a trick not making the family a bit older and casting Simon Williams as the "master of the house", especially since Jean Marsh is there, it would be a nice throwback what with him being poor old James in the original!

Nice idea but that would a bit difficult as James shot himself in the penultimate episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ZJ3b69XpU
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    Why is everything remakes now. Couldn't they just do a new period drama ?

I don't know about it being a remake as that suggests that they are making it again from the start whereas this is more of a continuation (series 6 I suppose it could be touted as) of 165 Eaton Place, 6 years chronologically after the original series ended.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbugg wrote: »
    It wasn't a remake it was a continuation which I quite enjoyed, sorry to disagree.

Well this "remake" of up/down can be classed as a "continuation" as well, as it is set in the same house with an original cast member.
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    Well this "remake" of up/down can be classed as a "continuation" as well, as it is set in the same house with an original cast member.
    Jean Marsh, who created the series and played Rose, will be in the new show.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some trepidation as to what the BBC will do with it ( why DID the BBC turn it down originally ? ) but as a big UD fan I hope it flies.

I don't know how a 70+ year old Jean can pull off her character being in her 40s, but 55 year old Sarah Bernhardt got away with playing the 14 year old Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, so there is a precedent.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some trepidation as to what the BBC will do with it ( why DID the BBC turn it down originally ? ) but as a big UD fan I hope it flies.

Apparently the BBC thought the series was too similar to 'The Forsyte Saga'.

Granada were also approached to buy the original series, but declined - possibly because they had a similar series of their own.

Interstingly, LWT was cool about the series initially, and didn't show the first series for almost a year after it was made.
  • Options
    rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this. I hope they explain why Rose has come back to Eaton Place and not just she's there for the sake of it.
    I hope as well that there's reference to the characters from the old series and what's happened to them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    At the end of the 'original' series Rose left to work as a Ladies Maid with Viscount Bellamy and his 2nd wife - the implications here would be that they both died because otherwise she'd have stayed there in semi retirement.

There could be any number of reasons why she returns but if Viscount Bellamy and his 2nd wife have died then as a tip of the hat to the old series I would like to think that they have left to Rose in their respective wills the exact amount of money that she lost when James squandered it prior to the 1929 crash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rob_bangor wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this. I hope they explain why Rose has come back to Eaton Place and not just she's there for the sake of it.
    I hope as well that there's reference to the characters from the old series and what's happened to them

I love the whole juxtoposition of Upstairs Downstairs where the original series covered 30 odd years and yet the characters rarely aged. Then in real life the series ended and the remaining cast members grew older and or passed away.

The 2010 series (continuation) returns to our screen in real time over 30 years later but in chronological order only 6 years have passed so now the actress Jean Marsh as aged in real life but returns to play a character that rarely aged over a 30 year time period.

Not forgetting that in the Upstairs Downstairs universe only 6 years have passed so Angus & Kate Hudson (nee Bridges) are still alive (and back with us as it were) now living in Hastings running a guest house with Ruby.

Georgina & Lord Stockbridge are still married, Edward is still his Butler and he is still married to Daisy.