Options

Would I Lie To You?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Someone has to try and trump Kevin Bridges epic "Horse truth" as I call it for it to be the funniest episode :D

That whole story was hilarious. I don't think anyone will ever beat it :D

Totally forgot this was coming on. Need to catch up on the Iplayer.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Only watched The Day Today.....But still can't place her.:(

Rebecca Front is brilliant when she has a good script (especially if it is written by Armando Iannucci) but I don't think she's especially funny in her own right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Oh dear I feel like a bit of a miserable sod after reading everyone's glowing reviews of this. I did like it a lot and will rewatch BUT the jumper thing... after a couple of seconds I felt a bit guess you have to be there... :o Loved the cat/'he knew me through mother' segment.

For the first half a minute or so, I was thinking "oh dear, this is a bit contrived..." but Nick's faces combined with the panelists' hysterics sold it, and it only got funnier as the laughter became more feverish - spiralling out further and further like some sort of hilarity fractal.

The jumper, itself, was a bit too morning radio. "Hey, guys, look how crazy we are!" But it's a show with a fantastic stable of regulars, which had some very funny contributors and Jack Whitehall, and they absolutely made it work. Really liked the jumper sequence - weirdly, in spite of the jumper.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    For the first half a minute or so, I was thinking "oh dear, this is a bit contrived..." but Nick's faces combined with the panelists' hysterics sold it, and it only got funnier as the laughter became more feverish - spiralling out further and further like some sort of hilarity fractal.

The jumper, itself, was a bit too morning radio. "Hey, guys, look how crazy we are!" But it's a show with a fantastic stable of regulars, which had some very funny contributors and Jack Whitehall, and they absolutely made it work. Really liked the jumper sequence - weirdly, in spite of the jumper.

I can relate to that. It did feel a little deliberately OTT but despite that, the reactions to it seemed unforced and therefore very funny; David's laughter and Nick's resigned disbelief in particular. (Have to say that David's unreserved laughter is very sexy). However, the fact that this was a lie rather than a truth means that it was always a possibility for contrivance and as a result it loses out to the Kevin Bridges horse story for uncontrived hilarity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear I feel like a bit of a miserable sod after reading everyone's glowing reviews of this. I did like it a lot and will rewatch BUT the jumper thing... after a couple of seconds I felt a bit guess you have to be there... :o Loved the cat/'he knew me through mother' segment.

I was feeling that way up until David's laughter and then Miranda's expression when Lee grabbed her jumper and just stuck his head through.

It was the reactions rather than the jumper that I liked, I guess.

Although I found 'Mother' funnier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can relate to that. It did feel a little deliberately OTT but despite that, the reactions to it seemed unforced and therefore very funny; David's laughter and Nick's resigned disbelief in particular. (Have to say that David's unreserved laughter is very sexy). However, the fact that this was a lie rather than a truth means that it was always a possibility for contrivance and as a result it loses out to the Kevin Bridges horse story for uncontrived hilarity.

Yeah, precisely! When the jumper came out, you could practically hear the writers and the props department going "ha ha ha, won't this be funny! stand by for comedy gold!" But the Would I Lie to You cast are so naturally funny that it never became a problem.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BUT the jumper thing... after a couple of seconds I felt a bit guess you have to be there... :o
    I agree. The jumper wasn't my kind of humour. And it went on and on. I had thought earlier they had raced through the first few rounds, and it was so they could spend half the episode on the jumper.
  • Options
    peodudepeodude Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I agree. The jumper wasn't my kind of humour. And it went on and on. I had thought earlier they had raced through the first few rounds, and it was so they could spend half the episode on the jumper.

This is not live TV, as has been pointed out, this is a 3 hour show edited into half an hour, the best bits stay in and the rest gets edited out. The jumper could easily have bombed and it wouldn't have made the cut, another funnier Truth or Lie would be put in instead.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peodude wrote: »
    This is not live TV, as has been pointed out, this is a 3 hour show edited into half an hour, the best bits stay in and the rest gets edited out. The jumper could easily have bombed and it wouldn't have made the cut, another funnier Truth or Lie would be put in instead.
    By "they had raced through it" I meant the editors, not the contestants.
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear I feel like a bit of a miserable sod after reading everyone's glowing reviews of this. I did like it a lot and will rewatch BUT the jumper thing... after a couple of seconds I felt a bit guess you have to be there... :o

I was beginning to think I was the only one not to find it all that funny but I see there are others as well.

I've just watched to Kevin Bridges horse story again on Youtube, it'll take a lot to beat that. Apparently that one segment took nearly half an hour to film, I'd love to be able to see the whole thing.
  • Options
    LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I loved it, it was a great episode, so glad it is back - but I didn't even know! Had to catch up on iPlayer.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    peodude wrote: »
    It was David's reaction that made it Funny, for me.....Just wondering how bad Rebecca's story was, for the Jumper bit, to go on, for so long.
    :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Like many, I didn't think the Kevin Bridges horse story could be bettered, but it was. I was crying with laughter

Classic episode and great start to the series. So glad its back . . . .
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That sums it up for me. It was David's reaction that made me laugh, not the jumper piece itself. Whereas Kevin Bridge's horse story had it all, everyone in tears, KB playing it so straight - and then was true which took it off the scale.

I also agree with other posters that WILTY needs an extended version.
  • Options
    GuardianistaGuardianista Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lastlaugh wrote: »
    :D I loved it, it was a great episode, so glad it is back - but I didn't even know! Had to catch up on iPlayer.

Always remember to get the Mail (on Saturday)with the TV Guide - only about 80p for the lot.

That way you won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Always remember to get the Mail (on Saturday)with the TV Guide - only about 80p for the lot.

That way you won't be disappointed.

Apart from being disappointed with the newspaper that comes with it. :D
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Nick Hewer's deadpan expression throughout the jumper sequence that made it for me. It was like he was privately thinking Why did I get involved with this? I don't know whether he was being intentionally humorous, but I did get the feeling he looked genuinely uncomfortable which made it seem even more hilarious,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best episode I have seen. An absolute gem and I was sharing Mirandas and Davids tears of laughter.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    It was Nick Hewer's deadpan expression throughout the jumper sequence that made it for me. It was like he was privately thinking Why did I get involved with this? I don't know whether he was being intentionally humorous, but I did get the feeling he looked genuinely uncomfortable which made it seem even more hilarious,

I suspect that Nick has a very dry sense of humour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Was surprised at Nick's poor grammar - "she would give it to Lord Sugar and I"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite show and just watched it on iplayer.. Cue hilarity for a good half hour. Only program me and my sis can agree to watch together... Nick was surprisingly funny..

For people who might not have seen Keven Bridges 'horse story' on WILTY before or for people who want to laugh uncontrollably again.....here is the clip... Probably my favourite segment on tv ever..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXxmMUIx8k
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the actor out of east enders pauline fowler's son

Huh? I've read this three times and still can't make any sense of it.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max_gibbs wrote: »
    My favourite show and just watched it on iplayer.. Cue hilarity for a good half hour. Only program me and my sis can agree to watch together... Nick was surprisingly funny..

For people who might not have seen Keven Bridges 'horse story' on WILTY before or for people who want to laugh uncontrollably again.....here is the clip... Probably my favourite segment on tv ever..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXxmMUIx8k

Didn't make me laugh that much. :o Maybe it fitted in with the overall show, but David just takes over and Kevin Bridges can't get a word in. :o
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching an old episode with Angus Deayton on Dave. Gosh they really rattle through it. It all seems so fast compared to how it flows today.

Whilst I feel for those panel members - like Rebecca Front in Friday's show - who don't get their piece shown. I think taking more time over those 'lies/truths' that are funnier works better.

However, it adds more power to the plea that there should be an extended version rather than just an outakes at the end of the series. Please BBC. You know it makes sense.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't make me laugh that much. :o Maybe it fitted in with the overall show, but David just takes over and Kevin Bridges can't get a word in. :o

Glad it's not just me - I thought it was mildly amusing but not hilarious. As you say it may be because it'sout of context.

I also didn't think the jumper sketch was that funny:o

Having said that I have watched some episodes on Dave and been laughing my head off - unfortunately they don' stick in my mind for me to post.