Options

Breaking News - Alan Henning has been beheaded

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not like this, not even in the same ballpark.

No, but it's got extremists though.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Not like this, not even in the same ballpark.

People forget the things that went on in nothern ireland, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/29459680. the kneecappings the tar and feathering and deaths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sooner she's caught, the bloody better.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,427
    Forum Member
    I am so saddened by this news of the vicious murder of a compassionate charity worker. I hope that charity volunteers and journalists would now steer well clear of the world's worst trouble spots to avoid getting caught up and kidnapped. If these IS savages have murdered this person then all their other kidnapped victims are effectively already dead.

Personally, I would want to see very much firmer action against fundamentalist extremists within this country and also against those Westerners, including from Britain, who willingly serve IS's evil cause and I frankly don't care any more if it means voiding their passports so that they cannot ever return to the UK again meaning that they get blocked at the Turkish border.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    This is desperately sad news. :(
    My politics lie very much in the middle if not to the left but I do believe the time has come to act hard on ISIS and it's supporters. If they're this bad now can you imagine how much worse it's going to get if they're allowed the time to grow in numbers and launch more sophisticated and deadly attacks. ISIS must be taken seriously, to me it doesn't sound overly dramatic that if decisive action is not taken now we could be looking at a World War III type situation.

I was alarmed to see someone from my city infact only living maybe a mile or so away from I live and who went to the nearby school had reportedly gone to Syria to fight with ISIS. I just cannot fathom that this is likely going on around every corner where we live.

My family came to the UK from India in the 1960s after my grandfather fought in Burma in World War II and so he and his family were invited to live here. I was talking to my mum about this and she said when they came to the UK her parents said they had to integrate into the community; were still indians, they were still hindu-Sikh but they now lived in a country which was culturally very different and had to get integrate. My grandparents were very proud to be british.

It saddens me that there is a certain Muslim population who do not integrate, and that is putting it mildly. I think the ISIS/ISIL is very much a threat within the UK. The people in the mosques etc are not doing enough to stamp out extremists within their community. In times like these silence can be deafening.

Just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    People forget the things that went on in nothern ireland, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/29459680. the kneecappings the tar and feathering and deaths.

I've been thinking the same myself. Times change but murder is murder. Had there been easy and readily available video facilities and social media back in the day wouldn't it have been pretty similar.

It's wrong, it's frightening, it's barbaric but - it really isn't a new phenomenon is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking the same myself. Times change but murder is murder. Had there been easy and readily available video facilities and social media back in the day wouldn't it have been pretty similar.

It's wrong, it's frightening, it's barbaric but - it really isn't a new phenomenon is it?

Yes its a bit like the term war on terrorists, who decides who is a terrorist and who is a freedom fighter, the west uses these terms because it suits which ever side it chooses to back and supply arms too. I agree social media has opened up alot more things for people to see and hear about.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send in the Power Rangers.

Silly man. Shouldn't have went there in the first place doesn't excuse his brutal murder though.

How very sensitive to his family. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to have forgotten the IRA weren't religiously motivated whereas ISIS are, and so your comparison is completely misguided.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    You seem to have forgotten the IRA weren't religiously motivated whereas ISIS are, and so your comparison is completely misguided.

Actually ISIL are politically motivated,
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah yes, another tactic I've seen before round these parts - compare the situation to Northern Ireland. Doesn't seem so bad then, does it.

I don't think people 'forget' what went on in NI and the UK during the Troubles, but you'd have to be seriously nuts to suggest that it was in the same league as what we're seeing now.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Explain the difference between these two potential headlines.

ISIS murder innocent Iraqis and Syrians

And

Coalition forces murder innocent Iraqis and Syrians
    Deliberately killing innocents makes us no better than them.
    Electra wrote: »
    No need to descend to their level.

All these people saying oh but it will wipe out innocent civilians, deliberately or otherwise.

It's a war, not a game of tiddlywinks.

The only thing is how many innocent civilians (on both sides), as in most wars, will die.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was around at the same time and it's not the same thing at all. It's like comparing a minor cold with Spanish Flu.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    A good Human Being

A kind and caring respectable Human Being only wanting to help others

Thoughts are very much with his family and friends
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »

Of course they were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Actually ISIL are politically motivated,

They are both. They want an Islamic caliphate, and are trying to implement it according to their interpretation of Islam. The IRA were political, they weren't fighting in the name of Catholicism.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, another extremist nutter - and from Britain, where else? I'm waiting for all the left wingers to say it's made up because it's in the Daily Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2780253/Supermarket-jihadi-s-call-arms-Former-Morrisons-worker-travelled-Syria-join-Islamic-State-challenges-David-Cameron-send-ground-troops-Iraq.html

Still waiting, are we?

Unfortunately we didn't have to wait too long for the xenophobic, racist Right to use this poor man's death to roll out their constant vitriol and abuse on this forum. :(
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True base evil is rare, but I think we've seen it here in its full grotesqueness. RIP Alan Henning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I was around at the same time and it's not the same thing at all. It's like comparing a minor cold with Spanish Flu.

Many were murdered in the most brutal way - many disappeared and families still don't know what happened.

Loss of life is a loss surely - as is being held to ransom for political gain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it is, these idiots have no ideology, they are way too thick to come up with a reason why they are doing what they do. They just hate everything that isn't Islamic.

Their methods make Colonel Kurtz's methods seem reasonable.

We have guns, we hate all westerners and all christians, we will kill western infidels even though these infidels voluntarily come to my country to help fight poverty and disease among my people.

The IRA weren't daft, they would never have tortured or killed anyone on film and sent it to the BBC, they knew that support for the IRA would disappear instantly [ the main reason that they never targeted The Royal Family ].
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, another tactic I've seen before round these parts - compare the situation to Northern Ireland. Doesn't seem so bad then, does it.

I don't think people 'forget' what went on in NI and the UK during the Troubles, but you'd have to be seriously nuts to suggest that it was in the same league as what we're seeing now.

Depends how you see things, and if you only see things on TV or hear what politicions say, bombs and bullets being petrol bombed. every man women and children were a suspect, women smuggling bullets and bombs in pushchairs with thier children in the same pushchair. Sorry but politicions called it the troubles, because it happened on uk soil, but it was always a war on terrorist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it is, these idiots have no ideology, they are way too thick to come up with a reason why they are doing what they do. They just hate everything that isn't Islamic.

Their methods make Colonel Kurtz's methods seem reasonable.

We have guns, we hate all westerners and all christians, we will kill western infidels even though these infidels voluntarily come to my country to help fight poverty and disease among my people.

The IRA weren't daft, they would never have tortured or killed anyone on film and sent it to the BBC, they knew that support for the IRA would disappear instantly [ the main reason that they never targeted The Royal Family ].

Earl Mountbatten and his family?
  • Options
    SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sutie, I'm absolutely appalled by people like you trying to shut down debate by playing the 'think of the family' card. Would you have tried to shut down debate on institutional racism because it might have upset Doreen? No, thought not. Most of the people wading in here don't care about Alan's family, they just want anything which contradicts their agenda suppressed and destroyed, no matter what the cost.

I don't want to hurt anybody's family but the fact is Alan was one of those people who lectured others on how brilliant the religion of peace was, how harmless. He was betrayed by one of the British Asians in his convoy. They didn't care how many good works he'd done. They hated him because he was white and not a Muslim. The person that betrayed him is probably comfortably ensconced back on Luton, Yorkshire or Lancashire. And don't be fooled the same person wouldn't cheerfully see your head cut off with a blunt knife.

It's sad but he made his bed, now he's lying in it.
    Same with Alice Gross's family. Her sister is so brainwashed by the multicultural agenda she will argue against laws which might have saved her sister.

I feel the same when British women get together with Pakistanis and then are suprised when their families treat them like dirt and their kids get kidnapped off them and sneaked into Pakistan never to be seen again.

It's not like the warnings aren't there for any sane rational person to take heed of. If you bury your head in the sand then you've only got yourself to blame when it snaps back in your face.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was reported on 20th September on various social media that there had been another execution in the Raqqa area. This was even referred to on the news yesterday. There were claims at the time that it was Alan Henning but there was no confirmation. Ever since then I have wondered if all those appeals were too late.
    If the video released by ISIS shows date and time, could this have been doctored? Certainly the voice over proves nothing. It is quite possible he was already dead and they were saving the footage to bring out later.
    Thoughts with his family at this terrible time.

Re his capture and the assertion that ISIS could have been given the nod by other convoy participants, well don't know this. It could have been someone at the other end. But yes the possibility occurred to me as well and it's a horrible thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    All these people saying oh but it will wipe out innocent civilians, deliberately or otherwise.

It's a war, not a game of tiddlywinks.

The only thing is how many innocent civilians (on both sides), as in most wars, will die.

No doubt innocent lives will be lost, but keep the number as low as possible.