Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Here's a link to The Guardian reporting the Christmas programming
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/nov/25/christmas-tv-bbc-miranda-finale
    Surprisingly the Guardian readers don't seem impressed.
    Then again they don't seem to like much at all, do they ? :D
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Simon Cowell hints to The Sun today that he will be quitting TXF in the UK next year as he has four different projects coming up in the US (I thought the ITV contract for the next two years required Cowell to be there).
    ftv wrote: »
    ''Simon Cowell has thrown his future on TXF into doubt after revealing plans to make FOUR TV series in the US next year. Faced with the show's dwindling ratings the Syco boss has confirmed he will be venturing across the pond for several projects.''

Olivia Waring, The Sun
    Obviously if it's in that rag you can't trust it but in the unlikely event he has actually said any of this then it's the second story about maybe leaving XFUK he's sold to the press within days, the man's beyond parody.
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 2m2 minutes ago
    #ImACeIebrity topped the ratings last night with 9.04m/37.3%. Against it, a #NewTricks repeat on BBC1 drew 2.49m/10.3%.

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 38s38 seconds ago
    BBC2's new series #PoshPeople: Inside @TatlerUK pulled in 1.49m/6.1%. C4's #Skint also drew 1.49m (6.2%), although this includes +1.

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 15s15 seconds ago
    BBC2's quiz hr continued to perform well with the two most watched shows away from BBC1/ITV:
    #UniversityChallenge 2.69m
    #OnlyConnect 2.28m
    Decent performances all round.
    ronant wrote: »
    The Radio Times has picked out its Christmas highlights:
    Miranda
    Mapp and Lucia
    Call the Midwife
    Last Tango in Halifax
    Downton Abbey
    Doctor Who
    Mrs Brown's Boys
    Esio Trot
    Celebrity University Challenge/Celebrity Mastermind
    Professor Branestawm
    Carols from King's
    The Boy in the Dress

It also appears that the Bruce Forsyth special will be shown.
    Sounds to me like Mapp and Lucia is the three-parter then.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Somebody has posted a link in the radio times thread with the 2014 BBCpress release. The link has to be slightly edited but it confirms that they will air Avengers Assemble, Puss in Boots, Quartet and Madagascar 3. So they must be keeping Brave until next year.
    The Muppets confirmed for this Christmas. The Christmas Day 3.10pm film I reckon?

On the face of it, a cracking Christmas in store from the BBC.
    Nothing from BBC Films' multiple Oscar-nominated releases in 2013? Odd.

The Rick Mayall and Julie Walters tributes sound good though.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might be right. Seems perfect for that slot. I can see the Christmas idents being Muppet themed if it it's on the big day.

Here's a link to The Guardian reporting the Christmas programming
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/nov/25/christmas-tv-bbc-miranda-finale

They mention an animation called "On Angel Wings" which is a reworking of the nativity. Christmas Eve maybe?

Possibly, at teatime, or Christmas Day morning. Can't really see it being used in a prime slot.

I think it'll be The Muppets on Christmas Day afternoon. I don't think the other films are big enough and The Muppets has massive cross generational appeal. Esio Trott has been mentioned a lot but I reckon that'll be in prime time on New Year's Day, or possibly Boxing Day.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Possibly, at teatime, or Christmas Day morning. Can't really see it being used in a prime slot.

I think it'll be The Muppets on Christmas Day afternoon. I don't think the other films are big enough and The Muppets has massive cross generational appeal. Esio Trott has been mentioned a lot but I reckon that'll be in prime time on New Year's Day, or possibly Boxing Day.

Christmas Eve afternoon possibly and the Muppets on Christmas Day. I can see The Boy in the Dress going out on Boxing Day early evening with Atlantis on the middle Saturday
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Fancy that. BBC shows all but one. I wonder why that is?

To be fair what are ITV doing that might go on such a list? BOAF and what else (I genuinely dont know btw).
    Also Radio Times is nothing to do with the BBC now is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No sign of a Len Goodman special this year. Pity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    To be fair what are ITV doing that might go on such a list? BOAF and what else (I genuinely dont know btw).
    Skyfall looks to be the movie highlight of the Christmas period, to name one.

Still, whilst I appreciate H Of De Vil's frustration as it's something I've moaned about in the past, the best thing to do is to vote with your wallet and buy a copy of the vastly superior TV and Satellite Week which does a much better job of flagging up the content worth seeing, regardless of what channel it may happen to be on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed the BBC have Avengers Assemble, does this mean they have the Marvel films now with their Disney contract? If so they could see some nice premières at Easter, and if they have the back catalogue they can stop repeating Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean 10 times a year.

I think Muppets is perfect for Christmas Day, but where will they fit Avengers, as I think the flop "John Carter" will be the NYE film as it wont matter too much if it rates too badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last year they showed a bunch of high-profile films on the 23rd and 24th so probably there. Maybe even late on Christmas Eve night, wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    No sign of a Len Goodman special this year. Pity.

There is but it's on BBC 4;-) A big band special.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danisfunny wrote: »
    Noticed the BBC have Avengers Assemble, does this mean they have the Marvel films now with their Disney contract? If so they could see some nice premières at Easter, and if they have the back catalogue they can stop repeating Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean 10 times a year.

I think Muppets is perfect for Christmas Day, but where will they fit Avengers, as I think the flop "John Carter" will be the NYE film as it wont matter too much if it rates too badly.

I think Avengers Assemble will air primetime Saturday 27th. John Carter as you say, would fit well in the New Year's Eve schedule. The Muppets for Boxing Day and Puss in Boots for Christmas afternoon. Madagascar 3 on New Year's Day early evening. The Pirates: Adventures with Scientists on Christmas Eve afternoon. But, whilst it's fun speculating, the only ones who think they know best are the schedulers. only a week to go before schedules are provisionally released!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "On Christmas Eve, BBC One presents the world premiere of the animated feature film, On Angel Wings"

Sounds like its longer than 30 minutes then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/BBC-TV-and-Radio-Celebrates-Christmas-through-Religious-Programming
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birds Of A Feather press pack has been released (for 2 episodes only), with a festive special titled 'Birds On A Plane'

Benidorm also. I'm thinking Birds Of A Feather will launch on either Xmas Eve or Day, with Benidorm on NYD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing that has struck me about the film lineup on terrestrial this year is that Netflix is better for films than I give it credit for. A lot of the big titles this Christmas have been on the service for months. And even some of next year's Christmas titles, if it's true about Brave being held back until 2015.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Still, whilst I appreciate H Of De Vil's frustration as it's something I've moaned about in the past, the best thing to do is to vote with your wallet and buy a copy of the vastly superior TV and Satellite Week which does a much better job of flagging up the content worth seeing, regardless of what channel it may happen to be on.

I but Total TV Guide for the listings because it's clear, unbiased and well laid out. I buy the Radio Times for my collection. I have every single one from 1980 onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They do have a favourite channel, which is highlighted in their programming list.

At the moment ITV have: (although short at the moment)

Birds Of A Feather ep1 Birds on a Plane, + ep2
    Benidorm
    Downton Abbey
    Paul O' Grady For The Love Of Dogs
    Skyfall
    All Star Family Fortunes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I but Total TV Guide for the listings because it's clear, unbiased and well laid out. I buy the Radio Times for my collection. I have every single one from 1980 onwards.
    That's some collection !

Not tried Total TV Guide. But very very happy with the layout of TV & Satellite Week and think it would be hard to beat. Has all the features I want and is unbiased in its coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do seem desperate for EE to fail.

All the soaps are weak going into Xmas. 30% share for EE is normal recently not so for ED and ED was down from last week and down yoy more than has been usual for it. Definately the worst performer yesterday.

On the contrary I want EastEnders to beat Corrie and encourage ITV to do something about their struggling soap. Of course I don't want EE to fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Dancc. I buy What's on TV which is less biased than the Radio Times.

Btw Gotham was fantastic yesterday. What a fantastic series Ch5 have got. :)
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth noting that GMB's audience was only 550,000 viewers yesterday. This is the start of the peak weeks of Xmas shopping, when advertisers are desperate to reach housewives with children, which GMTV used to deliver in spades. This programme must be costing ITV a fortune in lost advertising revenue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dancc. I buy What's on TV which is less biased than the Radio Times.

Btw Gotham was fantastic yesterday. What a fantastic series Ch5 have got. :)
    Delighted you're enjoying it.

Waiting for DS to update for the exact figure but it increased its overnight audience last night to around 1.3m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They do have a favourite channel, which is highlighted in their programming list.

At the moment ITV have: (although short at the moment)

Birds Of A Feather ep1 Birds on a Plane, + ep2
    Benidorm
    Downton Abbey
    Paul O' Grady For The Love Of Dogs
    Skyfall
    All Star Family Fortunes

You've forgotten Epic Christmas fails for some reason!

No they have a target audience. ABC1 viewers who are willing to pay a premium price for a listings magazine. Family Fortunes and Benidorm are not exactly loved by that demographic.

Also why would Sky fall be in a list of TV highlights? Film and tv has always been separate in the RT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delighted you're enjoying it.

Waiting for DS to update for the exact figure but it increased its overnight audience last night to around 1.3m.

Well I suppose the competition slackened a bit, but good to see it rise. Tbh It really should be doing 2m for the money its costing, and timeshift less. Its also unfortunate that the rpt on Saturday rated poorly and has now been shunted later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Birds Of A Feather press pack has been released (for 2 episodes only), with a festive special titled 'Birds On A Plane'

Benidorm also. I'm thinking Birds Of A Feather will launch on either Xmas Eve or Day, with Benidorm on NYD.

Against Miranda and Mrs Brown? Dream on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DS has now updated with extra ratings from Monday:

Never Mind the Buzzcocks (BBC Two): 0.88m
    Dispatches (C4): 0.81m exc.+1
    How to Sell Your Home (C4): 0.93m exc.+1
    Loch Ness Monster: Missing Evidence (C5): 1.03m exc.+1
    Gotham (C5): 1.33m

Source and more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a612326/im-a-celebrity-tops-monday-ratings-with-84m-viewers.html
This discussion has been closed.