Options

Programmes That Haven't Been Released Onto DVD Yet But Should Thread.....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mary Whitehouse Experience.....I loved this programme back in the early 90's! Been waiting avidly for this to be released by alas it never has. Come on BBC!

Newman and Baddiel were outstanding and so hilarious (as well as Steve Punt and the other guy)! :D
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The DVD video disc has only been going for 13 years now.

To be more precise its been available for 15 years .:) (14 in the UK)

I think he means from broadcast to dvd release
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    To be more precise its been available for 15 years .:) (14 in the UK)

I think he means from broadcast to dvd release

Not according to Wikipedia.
    The DVD Video format was first introduced by Toshiba in Japan in November 1996, in the United States in March 1997 (test marketed), in Europe in October 1998, and in Australia in February 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#History
    The first DVD players and discs were available in November 1996 in Japan, March 1997 in the United States, 1998 in Europe and in 1999 in Australia. By 2003 DVD sales and rentals topped those of VHS; during the week of June 15, 2003 (27.7M rentals DVD vs. 27.3M rentals VHS in the U.S.). Major U.S. retailers Circuit City and Best Buy stopped selling VHS tapes in 2002 and 2003, respectively. In June 2005, Wal-Mart and several other retailers announced plans to phase out the VHS format entirely, in favor of the more popular DVD format.

http://didyouknow.org/dvdhistory/

I meant in Europe, which I should have said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

As I got my player in February 1998 I would say Wikipedia is wrong.
    When I got it MVC were already selling plentiful releases from Polygram and Columbia - albeit around £22 each.

Although it wasn't the model I bought , the Panasonic A100 player had been out several months before I got mine.

However , the initial publicity launch of dvd in the UK seemed to be a bit of a damp squib and there was a relaunch later in 1998 to tie in with the rest of Hollywood joining the party after initially waiting ,which may be what Wikipedia referred to but a few players and discs from several labels were available far earlier than October.
    Unfortunately while trying to appear to be keeping up with technology Polygram made the mistake of releasing its early dvd's in 4:3
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    As I got my player in February 1998 I would say Wikipedia is wrong.
    When I got it MVC were already selling plentiful releases from Polygram and Columbia - albeit around £22 each.

Although it wasn't the model I bought , the Panasonic A100 player had been out several months before I got mine.

However , the initial publicity launch of dvd in the UK seemed to be a bit of a damp squib and there was a relaunch later in 1998 to tie in with the rest of Hollywood joining the party after initially waiting ,which may be what Wikipedia referred to but a few players and discs from several label were available far earlier than October

Ah well, fair enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    How hard did you look?!?!? There’ve been two releases now, one in 2006 and the one linked above in 2009. Here’s the 2006 release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Al-Murray-Time-Gentleman-Please/dp/B000FA56WM

Get thee to Specsavers! :D

Ha, well that's cleared that up then! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Would love to re-watch Warship from the 1970s (Bryan Marshall).
    According to Wikipedia the BBC still has this in their archives, some of the first series with Donald Burton was repeated on UKGold a few years back and some ropey copies exist on U-tube.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see Scarecrow and Mrs King released series 3 onwards.

Also Dangerfield - but with Nigel Havers in it, do love Nigel :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    One by One-the sort of follow up to All Creatures which was based on the zoovet David Taylor's life.

As mentioned before, Harry Enfield & Chums-it was all set for a DVD release but was pulled at the last minute.

At Last Smith & Jones Vol 2-again pulled before release.

Bring Em Back Alive-Bruce Boxleitner pre Scarecrow & Mrs King

Salvage One-70's US TV about a junkyard owner who built a moon rocket to salvage the moon lander.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a fan of the classic BBC dramas of the 1970's early 80's and wanted to buy The Life and Times of David LLoyd George, staring Phil Madoc and was very surprised that it seems to of never been released on either video or dvd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Both broadcast about the same time around 2008

Empty - with Gregor Fisher
    On Thin Ice - with Mark Wooton - BBC Comedy

Loved em.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Thin Ice was excellent. Was hoping for a DVD release but there’s little chance of that now.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought: Have they ever released NY-LON?
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Fist of Fun was released a week or two ago, the first series from 95. Its available from Go Faster Stripe.

And only because Lee and Herring spent £30,000 on buying it from the BBC and releasing it themselves as the BBC didn't want to.
    £25 for the first season with LOADS of extras
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Wrong wrote: »

Salvage One-70's US TV about a junkyard owner who built a moon rocket to salvage the moon lander.

That was the pilot.
    And that was the problem.
    The pilot movie was quite good but the series had nowhere to go but downhill - and it did

Looks like some company may be looking into releasing it

http://www.amazon.com/Salvage-1-1979-TV-Series/dp/B001993YAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325109447&sr=8-1